Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Iceman Switches Teams! (spoilers)

"Original x-men member Iceman comes out full gay"

Oh brother...
as if the article title wasn't bad enough (what exactly is "full gay?).

This is so ham-fisted, shoehorned, and poorly handled for so many reasons. Mainly... if you want to introduce diversity into your books, please don't mess with a character that has decades of established history (and characterization), please just introduce a new character.

Discuss among yourselves. I'll be over here in stunned silence.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited April 2015
    You mean, he’s not going back to the Defenders?

And they're not reforming the Champions?

Oh, well.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

You mean, he’s not going back to the Defenders?

And they're not reforming the Champions?

Oh, well.

I believe it means that it really wasn't Firestar that Drake was flirting with!

M
  • Options
    Lol at "Full Gay". Wonder if mutants have a little meter they can press to see how gay they are. Like those old Duracell meters you'd have to break your fingers to get a reading off of.

Next big twist, Northstar- 89% gay.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    The only problem I have with this is the part where his future self is not gay. How does that work exactly?

I think this is going to offend a lot of people. First, there will be the people, like Hex, who don't think you should retroactively change a character's sexual orientation. Then there will be the people who will say this makes it seem like being gay is something that can be switched on and off—which this does imply.

And then there will be the time travelers who will be outraged because this makes it seem like going to the future makes you gay (or at least gives you a 1 in 5 chance of turning gay).
  • Options

The only problem I have with this is the part where his future self is not gay. How does that work exactly?

I think this is going to offend a lot of people. First, there will be the people, like Hex, who don't think you should retroactively change a character's sexual orientation. Then there will be the people who will say this makes it seem like being gay is something that can be switched on and off—which this does imply.

And then there will be the time travelers who will be outraged because this makes it seem like going to the future makes you gay (or at least gives you a 1 in 5 chance of turning gay).

Question: if you are against this crowbarring way of Bendis leaving a huge mark nearly at his curtain call, is THAT offensive?

I agree with your 3 points. This seems more off putting to me then a cool twist. Like when Booster Gold suddenly became Canadian in n52.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    It's even more off-putting if you ever rooted for the Bobby Drake / Kitty Pryde romance, or like us 'old-timers' recall that Iceman had a brief romantic relationship with Polaris until she dumped him for Havok - way back in the day, which led to Bobby quitting the X-team for a short time.

In addition to his awesome run on Ultimate Spider-Man, Mr. Bendis is famous for ignoring continuity and changing canon. Chances are, Bendis is going to have this young Iceman killed off eventually.

Brian Michael Bendis announced that Iceman's storyline will continue to evolve in future books, and that the decision to make the character a gay man was in "keeping with contemporary social dialogue around lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) issues."

Two yawns and a 'meh.'
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited April 2015

Actually I don't think its that big a swerve for Bobby. Psychologically, he's been consistently portrayed as a major repressor. He can't reach his full potential as an omega level mutant because of insecurity and fear, he subconsciously suppressed his powers after M-Day because all he wants is to be "normal". Is it a stretch to assume this would extend to his sexuality as well?

His past self in our present may just have an easier time coming to terms with it.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Yeah, I'm having difficulty buying into it. It doesn't grok.
  • Options

Actually I don't think its that big a swerve for Bobby. Psychologically, he's been consistently portrayed as a major repressor. He can't reach his full potential as an omega level mutant because of insecurity and fear, he subconsciously suppressed his powers after M-Day because all he wants is to be "normal". Is it a stretch to assume this would extend to his sexuality as well?

His past self in our present may just have an easier time coming to terms with it.
    Enough to fool a mind reader? And without any further exploration of present-day Bobby, that still sends the message that you don't “have” to be gay, you just need to suppress those feelings and you'll be “normal.”
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited April 2015

Enough to fool a mind reader? And without any further exploration of present-day Bobby, that still sends the message that you don't “have” to be gay, you just need to suppress those feelings and you'll be “normal.”
    First off, that assumes that there will be an argument that present Bobby was correct in his decisions. Also I'd say it represents a thing real people actually try to do, right or wrong, successfully or unsuccessfully. Maybe part of the journey for Iceman will be present Bobby coming to terms with himself. And who says any of the mind readers were fooled? Maybe they didn't think it was any of their business. Or maybe it's comics and sometimes things are handled poorly. All I'm saying is that I'd buy it with Bobby because he is the most insecure with himself and has already been shown to be capable of living in deep denial.
  • Options

First off, that assumes that there will be an argument that present Bobby was correct in his decisions. Also I'd say it represents a thing real people actually try to do, right or wrong, successfully or unsuccessfully. Maybe part of the journey for Iceman will be present Bobby coming to terms with himself. And who says any of the mind readers were fooled? Maybe they didn't think it was any of their business. Or maybe it's comics and sometimes things are handled poorly. All I'm saying is that I'd buy it with Bobby because he is the most insecure with himself and has already been shown to be capable of living in deep denial.
    Oh, certainly people try to suppress homosexual feelings. And, sure, things in comics are handled poorly all too often. And maybe it will be addressed. But if it isn't addressed soon (the present-day Bobby, I mean), then I think people are going to be offended by the implications. That's all I'm saying.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368

Well, if we ever see Ron Zimmerman's name attached to a Superboy and The Legion Of Super-Heroes book, we'll know what to expect now.
  • Options

Oh, certainly people try to suppress homosexual feelings. And, sure, things in comics are handled poorly all too often. And maybe it will be addressed. But if it isn't addressed soon (the present-day Bobby, I mean), then I think people are going to be offended by the implications. That's all I'm saying.
    I agree with that 100%.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Sounds like a marketing ploy that an upcoming universe reboot could easily take care of if fan reaction is too sour. So forward thinking* of you, Marvel!

*See: pandering
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I don't really care either way (That doesn't make me bi does it?). It just seems as though Marvel hasn't fully committed to this one. Also raises the idea that young X-Men are from an alternate universe rather than just time travelled.
  • Options
    Matt said:

I agree with your 3 points. This seems more off putting to me then a cool twist. Like when Booster Gold suddenly became Canadian in n52.

M

Uh... WHAT!?!

Goodbye, DC.

B-)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    fredzilla said:

Sounds like a marketing ploy that an upcoming universe reboot could easily take care of if fan reaction is too sour. So forward thinking* of you, Marvel!

*See: pandering

To be fair, that could be said of every change ever. Including costume changes. Everything in these comics is tried out with the knowledge that they could reboot (soft or hard) to the usual.
  • Options
    I read ANXM, so I think I will actually read the story first and see how this works in context.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Ice Man is gay now???

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944

It's even more off-putting if you ever rooted for the Bobby Drake / Kitty Pryde romance, or like us 'old-timers' recall that Iceman had a brief romantic relationship with Polaris until she dumped him for Havok - way back in the day, which led to Bobby quitting the X-team for a short time.

EXACTLY!

I should go back and re-read that issue where poor Bobby is ambushed by all his Ex-girlfriends at the bar for some sort of Intervention. This new information might put a whole different spin on that story. If only I could remember which X-title it appeared in.

The whole thing feels too forced and a bit of a stretch. It just doesn't feel right to me. Years ago when Marvel "announced" that Northstar was gay, it worked for the character (although all the hoopla surrounding the "announcement" didn't). Northstar was basically a blank slate as far as his sexuality. Aside from him being an arrogant dick, and being overly protective of his twin sister, there wasn't much in the way of character development for the guy. Northstar is gay? OK, sure. But retroactively slapping that label on Bobby after 50 years of history is too much of a leap. Even if this is "early days" Iceman, there is too much baggage mixed up with "current" Iceman. I'm not buying it.

Although I have to admit the couple of pages (in the preview/spoiler) where it unfolded were handled rather nicely.
  • Options
    Matt said:

I believe it means that it really wasn't Firestar that Drake was flirting with!

M

Ha! It took me about 15 minutes, but I finally got that joke!
  • Options
    Hex said:

EXACTLY!

I should go back and re-read that issue where poor Bobby is ambushed by all his Ex-girlfriends at the bar for some sort of Intervention. This new information might put a whole different spin on that story. If only I could remember which X-title it appeared in.

The whole thing feels too forced and a bit of a stretch. It just doesn't feel right to me. Years ago when Marvel "announced" that Northstar was gay, it worked for the character (although all the hoopla surrounding the "announcement" didn't). Northstar was basically a blank slate as far as his sexuality. Aside from him being an arrogant dick, and being overly protective of his twin sister, there wasn't much in the way of character development for the guy. Northstar is gay? OK, sure. But retroactively slapping that label on Bobby after 50 years of history is too much of a leap. Even if this is "early days" Iceman, there is too much baggage mixed up with "current" Iceman. I'm not buying it.

Although I have to admit the couple of pages (in the preview/spoiler) where it unfolded were handled rather nicely.
    I don't read X-Men so I can't comment on how forced it is (or isn't), but I always come back to Willow Rosenberg on Buffy. It was season 4 when she came out, but there was groundwork laid in season 3. It progressed the character without seeming crowbarred in for demographics (a good example of that was the relaunched back door pilot of Knight Rider).

I recall reading Stormwatch & when the reveal occurred with 2 characters, I recall thinking "interesting twist; did not expect that", then continuing on.

M
  • Options
    Hex said:

I respectfully have to disagree with this. The preview pages didn't really impress me. Bobby doesn't appear to come to this realization and begin this journey himself. Jean rudely oversteps her bounds as a telepath (a problem I've had with Bendis' handling of her character thus far) and forces him to confront something he's clearly not ready to confront on his own yet.

He's TOLD he's gay. So he feels like he must be. Many people have urges they don't act on. Unless he's thinking about men every second of every day, Jean can't possibly justify jumping to that conclusion when it's perfectly normal to question one's sexuality at that age without making a concrete decision.

Having him "outed" by a telepath to me feels lazy, contrived and offensive to the integrity of the character. Even the comment he made about Magik seemed forced, simply existing to give Jean a reason to pull him aside and expose him in the first place.

• Options
    pfinneganpfinnegan Posts: 32
    Bendis has been on the defensive for the past two days trying to explain that this is part of an overall story that will address the "how can young Iceman be gay and old Iceman not be gay?" It's an interesting statement and if Bendis didn't use Back to the Future rules for time travel (see Cyclops disappearing in Battle of the Atom) I would think that the two Bobbys are from different universes. But, since that ship has sailed, I have no idea what the explanation could be.

Bendis also pointed to several "examples" from the books posted on Tumblr, where it was hinted that Iceman is gay. I don't recall any of these (or perhaps I didn't read the books he's referring to) but I would be interested to see what these "examples" are. He promises to post them later in the week.

Regardless how it plays out, it feels forced. If he turns out "full gay" for real, from the beginning in Earth-616, then this is worst way to do it. I agree with Matt's comment above that it should have been a slow reveal and definitely on Bobby's terms (not Jean Grey's mind rape).
  • Options

Hex said:

I respectfully have to disagree with this. The preview pages didn't really impress me. Bobby doesn't appear to come to this realization and begin this journey himself. Jean rudely oversteps her bounds as a telepath (a problem I've had with Bendis' handling of her character thus far) and forces him to confront something he's clearly not ready to confront on his own yet.

He's TOLD he's gay. So he feels like he must be. Many people have urges they don't act on. Unless he's thinking about men every second of every day, Jean can't possibly justify jumping to that conclusion when it's perfectly normal to question one's sexuality at that age without making a concrete decision.

Having him "outed" by a telepath to me feels lazy, contrived and offensive to the integrity of the character. Even the comment he made about Magik seemed forced, simply existing to give Jean a reason to pull him aside and expose him in the first place.

Those are all valid concerns/points.

I think the reason I felt it was done better than expected was that the scene was a portrayed as private conversation between two old friends.

My complaint overall is, as you suggest;
    "...feels lazy, contrived and offensive to the integrity of the character."
  • Options
    Hex said:

Hex said:

Those are all valid concerns/points.

I think the reason I felt it was done better than expected was that the scene was a portrayed as private conversation between two old friends.

My complaint overall is, as you suggest;
    "...feels lazy, contrived and offensive to the integrity of the character."
    I do agree with you on the point that it was at least good of Jean to pull him aside from the main group despite my concerns about the way she approached the revelation itself.

• Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    iceman is one of my fave characters... this sucks... not that anything is wrong with being gay... just sucks that they have to change him so much...

• Options
    edited April 2015
    bamfbamf said:

iceman is one of my fave characters... this sucks... not that anything is wrong with being gay... just sucks that they have to change him so much...

Well... to be fair, now you have a different version of the same character to enjoy. Maybe the "original" (current? old?) Iceman will remain the same as always? (time travel makes my head hurt)
  • Options
    pfinnegan said:

Bendis has been on the defensive for the past two days trying to explain that this is part of an overall story that will address the "how can young Iceman be gay and old Iceman not be gay?" It's an interesting statement and if Bendis didn't use Back to the Future rules for time travel (see Cyclops disappearing in Battle of the Atom) I would think that the two Bobbys are from different universes. But, since that ship has sailed, I have no idea what the explanation could be.

Bendis also pointed to several "examples" from the books posted on Tumblr, where it was hinted that Iceman is gay. I don't recall any of these (or perhaps I didn't read the books he's referring to) but I would be interested to see what these "examples" are. He promises to post them later in the week.

Regardless how it plays out, it feels forced. If he turns out "full gay" for real, from the beginning in Earth-616, then this is worst way to do it. I agree with Matt's comment above that it should have been a slow reveal and definitely on Bobby's terms (not Jean Grey's mind rape).

There are times I feel Bendis tries to be like Grant Morrison. He'll make changes or drop depth charges to see the fallout. I think Morrison is better at downplaying like his changes or comments are minute or common knowledge.

Assuming Bendis has this well written, he should be less defensive & more "just see where the story goes." Though, I do have to wonder if there are obvious hints in Drake's history, shouldn't he be able to reference them fairly easy? Why would he need 'by the end of the week' to show where he's pulling his citations?

The Jean tells Drake sort of feels like TMZ making the announce rather then him outting himself. Granted, the 'TMZ feel' is only for the readers & not within the universe...yet.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

pfinnegan said:

There are times I feel Bendis tries to be like Grant Morrison. He'll make changes or drop depth charges to see the fallout. I think Morrison is better at downplaying like his changes or comments are minute or common knowledge.

Assuming Bendis has this well written, he should be less defensive & more "just see where the story goes." Though, I do have to wonder if there are obvious hints in Drake's history, shouldn't he be able to reference them fairly easy? Why would he need 'by the end of the week' to show where he's pulling his citations?

The Jean tells Drake sort of feels like TMZ making the announce rather then him outting himself. Granted, the 'TMZ feel' is only for the readers & not within the universe...yet.

M
    I feel like part of the defensive posture is that this leaked and became a thing- based on some pages photographed and posted- before it could be a comic.

This wasn't a press release, or an article about diversity in the Times. This wasn't something they were talking up BEFORE orders on the issue were in. There was nothing in the solicit hinting that this was happening.

It was meant to be encountered in the context of the story before it hit Buzzfeed. But things didn't go that way. So instead of this being something Alonso talks about to CBR on a Friday, it became a reaction they were dealing with before the story was even being read.