Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Mad Max: Fury Road

So Vertigo is ramping up to a few huge releases for Mad Max: Fury Road, the movie of which is coming out this summer. Yesterday(May 6th) they released the first item, Mad Max: Fury Road Inspiration Artists Deluxe Edition.

Here is a look at that release: http://vertigology.com/2015/05/07/may-spotlight-and-review-mad-max-fur-road-inspired-artists-deluxe-edition-vertigo/

This is just the first of several releases from Vertigo, the next being a two issue miniseries.

Is anyone planning on following these few miniseries, on-shot releases? Anyone excited for it as a movie tie-in?

Comments

• Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    I so want to see this. I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic movies.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    I'm actually ordering the trade collecting all of the Vertigo stuff, so I won't be reading any of it until after I see the movie. I'm a sucker for anything Mad Max related since The Road Warrior is one of my favorite movies of all time and the series is among my favorite franchises.

I even have the Mad Max NES game. And run out of fuel. Every. Time.

• Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    I remember being blown away by The Road Warrior when I was in high school. We've been seeing the commercials on TV so I asked our 13 yr old son if he'd want to see it. His response was "it looks stupid." :(
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    kgforce said:

I remember being blown away by The Road Warrior when I was in high school. We've been seeing the commercials on TV so I asked our 13 yr old son if he'd want to see it. His response was "it looks stupid." :(

As father trying to sell his sons on Fury Road it is tough when some of those shots pop up. The guy playing guitar, the pendulum swinging between the vehicles. I cannot wait to see it myself as it is giving off such a Road Warrior vibe but I can sympathize with a millennial who is not familiar with the source material like I am.
  • Options
    shanebshaneb Posts: 109
    I'm kind of generally a sucker for Vertigo, and then the Mad Max theme is just a bonus, but they seem to be actually presenting it a lot better than I even thought. The Inspired Artist book is really amazing.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    My son actually asked to see it on Memorial Day! So we went... and we were disappointed. :( Maybe I expected too much with its 98% on RT. The stunts/chases/crashes were amazing, but overall the movie left me cold.

Very minor spoiler....

I was immediately put off by the sped-up chase scene in the beginning. It was so strange I thought it was a hallucination by Max.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    That's disappointing to hear.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    I just got back from seeing it a second time. Even better. And the one Vertigo comic I think is part of why I liked it more this time.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    I've seen it twice in the theater and am probably going to see it at least once more at the drive-in next week. Fury Road far surpassed even The Road Warrior for me and I don't say that lightly because The Road Warrior has been one of my favorite movies since I saw it on television for the first time over twenty years ago.

Everything about Fury Road worked for me from the effects to the acting to the score. And the story was perfectly paced and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

I'm especially eager now to read the comics and will be anxiously awaiting the trade I ordered from DCBS.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I've been hearing rave reviews for this film. Even the snooty New Yorker, which is pretty dismissive of action movies, loved this one. I hope I can catch it before the other summer movies chase it away.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I think kgforce, my friend Andy, and myself are the three people on the planet who were underwhelmed by this movie.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    @Torchsong

Come on. We've talked about this.

We know Andy isn't real.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I hope nobody is put off by the glowing rave reviews. This movie is pure adrenaline and well done and intelligent and has a strong Ripley-esque female lead and is just fun. This is what an action movie should be and we should embrace it.

I can understand not liking it but nothing about it was underwhelming to me.
  • Options
    Part of it was the overabundance of hype setting a very heightened expectation that it was probably impossible for any movie to deliver on, I'll admit. It made me want Mel Gibson to pull a Harrison Ford and come back to give Max some personality again.

The stunts, while well executed, had no sense of vitality to me - usually when someone dies I care about it - pretty much every death, including the big bad and the rogue Warboy was met with a resounding "meh".

Furiosa was a good character, perhaps the only good one in the bunch, but it just wasn't enough to make me give a damn about what was going on.

It was a "good" action movie, but certainly not a "great" one.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Torchsong said:

Part of it was the overabundance of hype setting a very heightened expectation that it was probably impossible for any movie to deliver on, I'll admit. It made me want Mel Gibson to pull a Harrison Ford and come back to give Max some personality again.

I get the hype thing, but the rest of this paragraph leaves me perplexed. Have you watched the original movies recently? Max didn't have much, if any, personality post Mad Max. With possible exception of once asserting his authority with the kids in Thunderdome, and maybe feeling a little remorse with Master Blaster, there just wasn't much personality.
  • Options
    shanebshaneb Posts: 109
    So what are people thinking about the new issues? The Immorten Joe and Furiosa one-shots have been released from Vertigo at this point.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Torchsong said:

I get the hype thing, but the rest of this paragraph leaves me perplexed. Have you watched the original movies recently? Max didn't have much, if any, personality post Mad Max. With possible exception of once asserting his authority with the kids in Thunderdome, and maybe feeling a little remorse with Master Blaster, there just wasn't much personality.
    Which was my point. For all the personality Gibson didn't bring to the role - Hardy made me pine for at least that.
  • Options
    I hope everyone got a chance to see this movie in the theaters. If not, catch it on home video release.

And if you're a fan of Adventure Time, you're sure to appreciate this:

https://youtu.be/w8fQ-0uw-l0
  • Options
    I saw it twice in the theater and pre-ordered a digital version from Amazon last week. Got it overnight last night, and hope to watch it again this evening.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Finally saw this movie. Wow. Just...wow. There wasn't anything I didn't like about this movie. The acting, script, setting, even the score. I can only hope they keep this going. Hardy is signed for 4 sequels & I hope we get each one. Even my wife thought this was a great movie; she's never seen the initial 3 movies.

I like that Miller brought back the actor who played Toecutter in Mad Max to play Immorten Joe in this one.

I hope Marvel & DC take notes on how Furosia was done. This movie felt more 'Mad Max' in title, because it was presented more as Furosia's movie. This is exactly how I like heroes/heroines written.

M
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Saw it myself finally a couple weeks ago. It WAS cool and good by and large. However I'm at a bit of a loss understanding the degree to which people are losing their shit over it.
  • Options
    I was able to maintain my excrement. I was just satisfied & entertained by "each phase of the game." It felt like a Mad Max movie without feeling like a dated 80s movie nor the sudden emergence of modern technology (such as a broken mobile phone, rewired GPS unit, etc.)

The story flowed well & didn't feel like set up for the next one. It felt like just another Max installment & not a sequel. My wife has never seen the prior movie & understood the movie without issue.

The characters were also interesting. It felt more like Max was "just there" instead of the focal point. Like with Road Warrior, this was going to happen whether Max got involved or not.

M
  • Options
    Saw this recently. Just didn't care about the characters. I think, it would have been better, if they cut a couple action scenes and told us more about these people or why we should care.
  • Options
    zikaatlaw said:

Saw this recently. Just didn't care about the characters. I think, it would have been better, if they cut a couple action scenes and told us more about these people or why we should care.

My first inquiry would be 'which characters?' My second inquiry would be 'have you seen the prior movies?'

"Why should we care" is ultimately subjective. It's similar to the prior movies in that "home" is the theme.

As one group of lost people tries to find a home, one man tried to get lost and runs from home.

M
  • Options
    Saw this last night. Loved it. One of the better post-apocalyptic movies I've seen. I don't get all the Oscar hype for it though.
  • Options
    zikaatlawzikaatlaw Posts: 56
    edited January 2016
    Matt said:

zikaatlaw said:

My first inquiry would be 'which characters?' My second inquiry would be 'have you seen the prior movies?'

"Why should we care" is ultimately subjective. It's similar to the prior movies in that "home" is the theme.

As one group of lost people tries to find a home, one man tried to get lost and runs from home.

M
    I didn't care about any of them. I wanted to care about Charlize (because she's Charlize and a bad ass in this movie) and the women they discover, but I felt like there was some rich back story we were missing. Yes; I saw the first 3. I didn't ever sense any connection to whatever that cliff-mines place was. It just seemed like a prison. In the 3rd one, tina turner was a bad ruler, but I felt like it was a home for most residents. In the second one, the gas depot-town was the major plot point, and trying to protect it.

This one, I felt like they cut out most of the story and just threw in as many stunts as possible.
  • Options
    zikaatlaw said:

Matt said:

zikaatlaw said:

M
    I didn't care about any of them. I wanted to care about Charlize (because she's Charlize and a bad ass in this movie) and the women they discover, but I felt like there was some rich back story we were missing. Yes; I saw the first 3. I didn't ever sense any connection to whatever that cliff-mines place was. It just seemed like a prison. In the 3rd one, tina turner was a bad ruler, but I felt like it was a home for most residents. In the second one, the gas depot-town was the major plot point, and trying to protect it.

This one, I felt like they cut out most of the story and just threw in as many stunts as possible.
    The plot had similarities to Road Warrior & Thunderdome. Rather then the refugees defending the oil depot, the villain controlled the water supply. It's similar to why Carnagie wanted that particular book in The Book of Eli. Why the book he could control the masses. By controlling the water supply, Immortan Joe controlled the masses.

The corral of concubines was to reproduce in an attempt to get 'perfect' offspring. It's been awhile since I've seen the movie (though I'm thinking I want to own it now), but I believe Furosia was at 1 point a concubine.

M
  • Options
    I found Mad Max: Fury Road to be one of the best summer blockbusters in years. I couldn't find any fault in the plot, or the way Miller unfurled it. I'm probably in the majority though. It was just nominated for an Oscar for Best Pic.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879

It was just nominated for an Oscar for Best Pic.

Still can't wrap my head around that. Even though I'm impressed and pleased such a movie is even considered.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

It was just nominated for an Oscar for Best Pic.

Still can't wrap my head around that. Even though I'm impressed and pleased such a movie is even considered.
    I'm with ya. I don't get it. Was a very enjoyable popcorn flick, but that's it. Seems to me the studio decided to create this Oscar buzz out of thin air and it became a self-fulfilling prophesy, with all those lemmings in Hollywood just goign along with it.