Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel Unlimited

So for the "May the 4th Be With You" day I got an e-mail for a free month to try marvel unlimited and my initial judgement is that its good to find series to go out and buy but not really to read comic series... is that a fair statement? It seems like you have access to a lot of first issues but thats about it. I was wondering what you guys think about Marvel Unlimited? Is it worth it? Any tips for a new user? Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    joewhite73joewhite73 Posts: 23
    I started reading comics (not collecting them) a little over a year ago, and I do so exclusivly through Marvel Unlimited. I read them on my iPad. I have read several hundred comics. I'm not sure what you mean by 'a lot of first issues but that about it'. There are near complete runs of tons of stuff.
    MU works for me, because I don't collect. I'm just reading a bunch of comics. It's well worth my $70 a year.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377

So for the "May the 4th Be With You" day I got an e-mail for a free month to try marvel unlimited and my initial judgement is that its good to find series to go out and buy but not really to read comic series... is that a fair statement? It seems like you have access to a lot of first issues but thats about it. I was wondering what you guys think about Marvel Unlimited? Is it worth it? Any tips for a new user? Thanks!

Not a fair statement at all. If you read digitally and don't care about Day & Date releases, then Marvel Unlimited is the way to go with reading Marvel (and now Star Wars). The library is extensive and always growing, and if you are looking to read anything from the last decade it's there.

If you are only seeing a selection of first issues only, you probably haven't given them your credit card info yet. Even to do the free trial you need to do a full sign up. After that you'll have full access, just be warned, it will auto renew and you'll have to cancel before you get charged...
  • Options
    bats00bats00 Posts: 275

Not a fair statement at all. If you read digitally and don't care about Day & Date releases, then Marvel Unlimited is the way to go with reading Marvel (and now Star Wars). The library is extensive and always growing, and if you are looking to read anything from the last decade it's there.

If you are only seeing a selection of first issues only, you probably haven't given them your credit card info yet. Even to do the free trial you need to do a full sign up. After that you'll have full access, just be warned, it will auto renew and you'll have to cancel before you get charged...
    I would agree with Playdohsrepublic. There are some series that they don't have on there (like Marvel Team-Up) but they do have of ton of full series. Interested in reading the first fun of FF, Iron Man or Avengers? They got it!

If you are unsure I would suggest just paying the $10 for one month to try it out. However you do have to make sure you cancel it at the end if you don't wont to go on with it. They will auto renew if you don't.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I've actually been wondering about this. Do they have issues with characters that they licensed at one time, but no longer do? Like say ROM, Conan, Godzilla, or Marvel Two In One #21 (The Thing meets Doc Savage).
  • Options
    edited May 2015

I've actually been wondering about this. Do they have issues with characters that they licensed at one time, but no longer do? Like say ROM, Conan, Godzilla, or Marvel Two In One #21 (The Thing meets Doc Savage).

Nope. If you look at runs of books like FF and ASM you'll see they are complete, minus 1-2 issues. And two-in-one, like classic team-up is mostly missing. Some, a lot, of older titles (really 25 years or older) are missing except for an issue or two that tie into a crossover. Like Quasar 90's series only has the first ish and the "Galactic Storm" tie-ins.

One thing that is cool is that if you want to search an event you can and all the main and tie-in issues will be listed in order.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I had Marvel Unlimited but it's not supported on the Kindle so I had to cancel.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I had Marvel Unlimited but it's not supported on the Kindle so I had to cancel.

Did the same.
  • Options
    What other devices is it incompatible with?
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I have it for my tablet and am deeply in love with it. They have a HUGE assortment of Golden and Atomic Age stuff (including all fo the 50's hero revival books). I signed up when funds were short, and now, for the most part, it's how I read Marvel now. If a book is amazing and I want a copy, I'll buy the hardcover, but for run-of-the-mill comix, it's perfect for me.

They are also adding stuff rapidly, filling in series as there is demand or digital files available. I'm guessing a lot fo the Atlas stuff is on there because they digitized it for the Masterworks.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

If you have an Apple or Android device you're set. Amazon's Kindle line are android at their core but have an OS that's heavily modded... in other words Amazon has a ton of say in what apps they allow. It makes sense that the company that owns Comixology wouldn't want the MU app on the Kindle.

There is a way to "side load" the app on the Kindle but I found it to be extremely buggy when I ran it.
  • Options

Atari 2600 and Commodore 64, I had to.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

Man... do I feel nostalgic. I used to have both.

No, wait -- I had the Vic-20, not the 64.
  • Options
    Wolverine2216Wolverine2216 Posts: 42
    edited May 2015
    Ok so maybe they only give you a small taste with the trial but it seems like everything i go to read it just gives me a 3 page sample. For instance I started reading 1602 and I read the 1st issue go to the second and I got read sample. Same thing happened when I tried to read some first appearances of Wolverine and Spider man. Thats why I was asking I figured I just hadn't figured out what I was doing yet lol. Thanks everyone for your comments I think Im going to cancel my trial and just try a month of paying for the service. thanks again!
  • Options

Ok so maybe they only give you a small taste with the trial but it seems like everything i go to read it just gives me a 3 page sample. For instance I started reading 1602 and I read the 1st issue go to the second and I got read sample. Same thing happened when I tried to read some first appearances of Wolverine and Spider man. Thats why I was asking I figured I just hadn't figured out what I was doing yet lol. Thanks everyone for your comments I think Im going to cancel my trial and just try a month of paying for the service. thanks again!

Sometimes a book will not load properly and I just quit out of the app and restart it. The only time I have seen only a partial book after it is fully loaded is if a 'back-up- story' is not included.

Now if DC would just do the same thing!!! 'fingers crossed'
  • Options
    Problem solved... I guess MU wouldnt recognize that i was a trial member so I ended the trial and subscribed for a month and now I can access everything that I couldnt earlier. Im excited to see how vast a library it really is I know they boast 15000 comics so I should have some fun reading all the comics I missed in the first 23 years of my life as well as the 4+ decades before my life. ANy story arcs or events ppl would recommend?
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited May 2015
    Anyone else using SCRIBD? Lots of Marvel, Boom, Valiant, Dynamite, Archie. And of course regular old books and audiobooks.

I've been reading the heck out of Valiant Comics on there. Looks like they are about 5 months behind on current issues of Valiant (I haven't checked other publishers). The image quality (resolution and compression) doesn't compare to Comixology, but for $9 a month I think I'll keep it for a while.
  • Options
    kgforce said:

Anyone else using SCRIBD? Lots of Marvel, Boom, Valiant, Dynamite, Archie. And of course regular old books and audiobooks.

I've been reading the heck out of Valiant Comics on there. Looks like they are about 5 months behind on current issues of Valiant (I haven't checked other publishers). The image quality (resolution and compression) doesn't compare to Comixology, but for $9 a month I think I'll keep it for a while.

I was thinking about subscribing to Scribd but when I looked up reviews it seemed like they were majority bad reviews and since I like mainly Marvel I decided to stick with MU.... What do you think of scribd?
  • Options
    edited May 2015

kgforce said:

I was thinking about subscribing to Scribd but when I looked up reviews it seemed like they were majority bad reviews and since I like mainly Marvel I decided to stick with MU.... What do you think of scribd?
    From a review I found online:
    Somewhat surprisingly, the Scribd comics library includes a variety of comic book publishers, and Marvel Comics is lead among them. I’ll talk in more detail in the “Best of Scribd Comics” section about the other publishers, but for now let’s look at just Marvel.

The Scribd selection of Marvel Comics is surprisingly deep, and in some ways can hold it’s own with Marvel Unlimited. For example, if you’re most interested in catching up on all-time classic Marvel stories, Scribd offers some nice curated collections to get you going.

The Marvel Scribd range is deep, but it is not as deep as Marvel Unlimited. For example, I can read all of Jonathan Hickman’s Fantastic Four on Scribd, but you’ll only get his Avengers and New Avengers (those essential Secret Wars prelude comics) through Marvel Unlimited.

This appears to be true for nearly all Marvel NOW! comics (anything released later than 2012 such as Superior Spidre-Man) as well as slightly newer fan favorites like Rick Remender’s Venom or Fraction & Aja’s Hawkeye.

So the short answer here: You’re going to get a lot of great Marvel trade collections through Scribd, but not nearly as many series overall, especially of newer comics (which, remember, are already on a 6 month or so delay within Marvel Unlimited).

Doesn't sound like you can go wrong either way but MU seems to have the edge on newer titles.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

kgforce said:

Somewhat surprisingly, the Scribd comics library includes a variety of comic book publishers, and Marvel Comics is lead among them. I’ll talk in more detail in the “Best of Scribd Comics” section about the other publishers, but for now let’s look at just Marvel.

The Scribd selection of Marvel Comics is surprisingly deep, and in some ways can hold it’s own with Marvel Unlimited. For example, if you’re most interested in catching up on all-time classic Marvel stories, Scribd offers some nice curated collections to get you going.

The Marvel Scribd range is deep, but it is not as deep as Marvel Unlimited. For example, I can read all of Jonathan Hickman’s Fantastic Four on Scribd, but you’ll only get his Avengers and New Avengers (those essential Secret Wars prelude comics) through Marvel Unlimited.

This appears to be true for nearly all Marvel NOW! comics (anything released later than 2012 such as Superior Spidre-Man) as well as slightly newer fan favorites like Rick Remender’s Venom or Fraction & Aja’s Hawkeye.

So the short answer here: You’re going to get a lot of great Marvel trade collections through Scribd, but not nearly as many series overall, especially of newer comics (which, remember, are already on a 6 month or so delay within Marvel Unlimited).

Doesn't sound like you can go wrong either way but MU seems to have the edge on newer titles.
    Mr_Cosmic said:

kgforce said:

I'me not 100% sure but Scribd looks like it's got digital trades, not really any single issues. So it sounds great if you are looking for stuff that's been collected, but if you want to read individual issues, or something that hasn't been put out in trade form you aren't going to find it there. I probably wouldn't use the service for Marvel, but I have seriously considered it for Boom, IDW, Valiant and some Archie stuff that I probably would have only read in trade anyway (and, y'know, books). I just can't afford another subscription service right now, it's getting crazy.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited May 2015
    SCRIBD: Looks like most, if not all, of Marvel's are digital trades. With other publishers they do have individual issues.

Besides the other publishers mentioned, they also have Top Cow, Top Shelf, Zenescope, and a few others.

The reading experience (comics or books), isn't quite as good as Amazon or Comixology, but it's definitely acceptable. The syncing between my phone, iPad and computer weren't 100% accurate. It was usually a few pages behind. I haven't tried their audiobook feature, yet.

It's certainly worth the free month trial period.

For iPhone/iPad users, you plan ahead, you can save 20-25%. Buy an iTunes gift card when they go on sale on ebay. Then sign up for Scribd via your device. After the first free month it will charge your iTunes account.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Man... do I feel nostalgic. I used to have both.

No, wait -- I had the Vic-20, not the 64.

I sold my Vic-20,with the box with the K-mart $100 price tag still on it, a few years back. Had 5 games on carts,plus the cable to connect a cassette player to it. With 4 games on cassette tapes.
  • Options
    I have been loving MU since I got that issue straightened out. I have been all over the place from first appearances or daredevil spidey and wolverine to enjoying 1602 and just exploring what marvel has to offer. I think I will be content reading MU for the next couple of years as I try to catch up on all the things I missed as a youth who didnt realize how awesome comics really were. I enjoy being able to expose my son to comics at his young age and I just hope it encourages him to read and use his creativity. This medium is highly underrated!!!
  • Options
    Now, after Scribd and Marvel Unlimited have set the stage, there is a rumor that Comixology is getting into the act. Probably at the insistence of their new owners, Amazon.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Still loving the Marvel Unlimited. Hopefully Comixology will bring some of the other publishers to the all you can eat buffet.