Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Cyclops

2»

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    PS- I find it hilarious that my earlier post about Cyclops in a thread called "Cyclops" was judged by someone to be "Off-Topic".

I will accept it as an act of satire about the reactions buttons.
  • Options
    [Cyclops doesn't know if Logan's an imposter]
    Wolverine: Hey! It's me.
    Cyclops: Prove it!
    Wolverine: You're a dick.
    Cyclops: Okay.
    Best use of Cyclops EVER!

• Options
    Amalgam_ManAmalgam_Man Posts: 53
    Is it just me or is the death of Cyclops one of the only rectifying things to come out of X-Men 3: The Last Stand?
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Is it just me or is the death of Cyclops one of the only rectifying things to come out of X-Men 3: The Last Stand?
    I'm not sure I agree. The death of Cyclops was just a thing that happened because it didn't seem like they knew what to do with the character within the movie. They sort of needed him gone so Wolverine could have his moment with Jean at the end of the movie and of course James Marsden
    was also filming Superman Returns.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    They had no choice but to have the star of the movie be in charge, which is jackman. Those movies were effected by Hollywood movie making standards more than creativity or serving the story. You can't have the big love story not be with the star now can you. And as coke was the leader the simplest way to get rid of him is to kill him as movie characters rarely simply leave in modern superhero movies
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    And as coke was the leader
    He had to make way for Pepsi to lead the team.
  • Options
    Oh what was the typo for ewoks? Coke leads them now.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Coke is the leader of the swims?
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    As long as it isn't New Coke. *blah*
  • Options
    Amalgam_ManAmalgam_Man Posts: 53
    Well, at least the didn't make Juggernaut a mutant... Oh wait.
  • Options
    As long as it isn't New Coke. *blah*
    Coke leads the swims in ep 4-6. New coke is ep 1-3. Though I did like the part where new coke fights crystal Pepsi.
  • Options
    Im just wondering if any of you think we'll ever get the old Cyclops back?
    For me, the answer is 'I hope not'. Not because I dislike where Scott is these days, and not because I don't like the Scott of old, but for such a radical change to occur after such an organic journey to his 'dark side' I think it'd be a shame to waste such development.

Scott's always been a bit more 'formal' than the other X-Men. Always a little standoffish and socially awkward back when he was in the original lineup, in fact, I'd say the only time I ever saw him truly happy was when he had left the X-Men and was married to Madelynne Prior. He's always been 'the leader' and much moreso since Wanda spoke those famous words 'No more mutants'. He doesnt just lead a team now, he leads an entire race.

I've read interviews with various marvel creatives where they have said they've been purposely writing Cyclops this way for a reason, and I think we'll see huge repurcussions from the fallout of AvX. He's surrounded himself with a team of mostly ex villains and if we're to believe Mister Sinister, his warning to Scott was that he's going to be pretty much hated by everyone he ever loved over the coming months. This kind of excites me, because it's the kind of thing I crave from comics....character development. I love his relationship with Emma, I think they're ideal for each other. If Jean returns (like I think she will) She wont end up back with him, I dont think she'd recognise him anymore in fact. He'll either stick with Emma, or Emma will also leave him (maybe for Namor?)

I would go as far to say that I'd actually really like to see Cyclops transfrom completely from hero to 'Villain' within the Marvel universe. That's something that's really never been done to a major player in the Marvel Universe before. You get Villains who reform, but what if it goes the other way? When I say villain of course, I dont mean the 'World Domination' tyrant. Cyclops has a cause, much like Magneto. It's his 'vision' that should clash with the rest of the Marvel universe..
    In my opinion I think that Wolverine and Cyclops have switched positions, personality wise. If this were 10 or 15 years ago I would have expected Scott to set up the school & Wolverine to be the rebel on Utopia.

But consider what Scott has been through in the last few years. He has had to take to position of Prof X as the head of the Mutants and has, arguably, been in charge during the most chaotic time for mutants and done his best to deal with it. Some would call him pragmatic now but he is trying to protect the fragile world he has built as best as he possibly can, without any outside help because no one is really offering it. I mean, he had to locate offshore just to keep the mutants under his protection in shape. I do think Emma has influenced him in this way much because she is very pragmatic. (I think Jean was a lot more hopeful (not an intended pun) and probably helped him to be as well.) I mean where were the Avengers and other people coming to the aide of the Mutants after M Day? Where was Cap or Iron Man helping them out instead of asking them to choose a side in the Civil War? Scott has seen a lot of hostility and I think, in a sense, that his hope for the peaceful future of mutantkind has been crushed so he is acting in any way to preserve that. He isn't going on the offensive but defending what he does have as fiercely as possible.

Come to think of it, I can't remember where Prof X is at the moment and why isn't he trying to be a positive influence to Scott?

As another side note, do you think Scott and Logan could have been real friends if it hadn't been for Jean?
  • Options
    Scott told Xavier to feck off and Xavier did.

I don't think that Scott and Logan would be friends. They hated each other back in the day. Without Jean's influence over both and Ororo's calming influence with Logan, Scott and Logan if they met would have been enemies probably. Lest we forget, Wolverine was a murderous berserker back then. Scott was fiercely protective of his X-Family.