Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel movies.. Rank 'em (SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited July 2015
    Matt said:

I'm hoping the beating IM3 is taking in the rankings isn't just because of the Mandarin twist.

M

Hmmm. Maybe it's because many people have found the appeal of Iron Man to be that Tony Stark is just as human as we are, but when he puts on the suit he becomes a living fighter jet. In IM1, we got to see how fun and exciting being Iron Man could be, while showing us that outside the suit, Tony is quite vulnerable.

In IM3, Tony is a superhero without the suit - he fights like Captain America in this film. While the Iron Man suits seem almost a nuisance; easily destroyed and Tony hardly even wore one - they were reduced to easily breakable robots. This made it seem like auto-pilot Iron Men are just as good as the original in battles. Wonder why he didn't call them up when he was stranded in Tennessee.

Speaking of Tennessee, I'm from Chattanooga. In the movie, Iron Man couldn't get internet signal in Chattanooga? C'mon. The city's nickname is the "Gig City" because it has the fastest internet IN THE WORLD and it looks like this from the river - not the hick little backwater town in IM3:

Of course this is just quibble, because plenty of movies screw up the truth of their locations.

Maybe it was the villains gallery. While I actually thought the Mandarin switch was a creative and a surprising move, I wondered why Tony would ever dare the "number 1 terrorist in the world" to attack him in the first place, and then take absolutely no precautions. And Aldrich, the main villain, was a dud. His motivation was that he was rejected 15 years ago and now wants to control the world? Along with an evil Vice President? A token appearance of SHIELD probably would have helped.

Maybe it was the ending some people didn't take. Pepper was somewhat out of character. When did she learn how to fight? In every other incarnation, whenever she's around violence, she cries and runs away. Seemed a but unrealistic in IM3 when she started doing flips in the air, ripping through Iron Man suits like paper. Speaking of the suits being so breakable, what was Tony doing blowing up all of his suits to prove he loves Pepper? Is he really that whipped? Eww.

My favorite part was the after credits scene - glad to know you stuck around for that @Matt :)

• Options
    wuchmeewuchmee Posts: 16
    Top to bottom:

CA: The Winter Soldier
    Avengers
    Iron Man
    Captain America
    Ant-Man
    AoU
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Thor
    Thor: The Dark World
    Iron Man 2
    Hulk
    Iron Man 3
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    9999. Iron Man 2

Then a big gap for all future Marvel movies and all the ones I've not seen.

8. Thor The Dark World
    7. Avengers Age of Ultron
    6. Guardians of the Galaxy
    5. The Avengers
    4. Thor
    3. Iron Man
    2. Iron Man 3
    1. Captain America Winter Soldier
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited July 2015

Matt said:

I'm hoping the beating IM3 is taking in the rankings isn't just because of the Mandarin twist.

M

Hmmm. Maybe it's because many people have found the appeal of Iron Man to be that Tony Stark is just as human as we are, but when he puts on the suit he becomes a living fighter jet. In IM1, we got to see how fun and exciting being Iron Man could be, while showing us that outside the suit, Tony is quite vulnerable.

In IM3, Tony is a superhero without the suit - he fights like Captain America in this film. While the Iron Man suits seem almost a nuisance; easily destroyed and Tony hardly even wore one - they were reduced to easily breakable robots. This made it seem like auto-pilot Iron Men are just as good as the original in battles. Wonder why he didn't call them up when he was stranded in Tennessee.

Speaking of Tennessee, I'm from Chattanooga. In the movie, Iron Man couldn't get internet signal in Chattanooga? C'mon. The city's nickname is the "Gig City" because it has the fastest internet IN THE WORLD and it looks like this from the river - not the hick little backwater town in IM3:

Of course this is just quibble, because plenty of movies screw up the truth of their locations.

Maybe it was the villains gallery. While I actually thought the Mandarin switch was a creative and a surprising move, I wondered why Tony would ever dare the "number 1 terrorist in the world" to attack him in the first place, and then take absolutely no precautions. And Aldrich, the main villain, was a dud. His motivation was that he was rejected 15 years ago and now wants to control the world? Along with an evil Vice President? A token appearance of SHIELD probably would have helped.

Maybe it was the ending some people didn't take. Pepper was somewhat out of character. When did she learn how to fight? In every other incarnation, whenever she's around violence, she cries and runs away. Seemed a but unrealistic in IM3 when she started doing flips in the air, ripping through Iron Man suits like paper. Speaking of the suits being so breakable, what was Tony doing blowing up all of his suits to prove he loves Pepper? Is he really that whipped? Eww.

My favorite part was the after credits scene - glad to know you stuck around for that @Matt :)

I'm not certain I can get behind some of your points here:

1.) there was already established Stark was doing some fight training in IM2. He wasn't all Rogers in IM3, but he showed there was skill. Like Batman, he doesn't have to worry about a day job, so there's plenty of time to working on his craft. He also had a wooden fighting dummy in his workshop. That has implications he's working on his fighting abilities outside his suit.

2.) suits did become cheap particle board replicants of the original. He's mass producing them; it happens. In AoU, we see only 1 suit used. I guess he realized the benefits of having an iPad verses a nook, kindle, & tablet.

Also, he couldn't power the suit when he was stranded. I'm not certain he could've called the Iron Legion at that point. If he could...what would have done? Surround the town until he figured out his next move?

3.) there are often liberties taken with locations. I've been in Philly multiple times, & I've never seen that graveyard from National Treasure. Also, Cheers does not look anything like the set piece of the series.

4.) why threaten a terrorist? Loss of emotion. I'm certain if you had a friend who was injured by a confirmed terrorist attack, you too would have the same threat. The difference is Stark had the platform to make it public.

Killian's motive: make money, gain more power, with a side order of revenge. Original? Nope, but not strictly "you picked on me."

5.) why SHIELD? Why not another Avenger? I never got that complaint for these solo franchises. Why even have solo franchises if they need to call in other solo characters to help all the time?

6.) yup, some level of being out of character, but again, who's to say Iron Man's girlfriend is training to fight by the 3rd outing? To the degree shown? That's definitely over the top, but it's ridiculous to think someone continuously in danger wouldn't learn how to take care of him/herself.

7.) destroying the suits was meant to be symbolic, not because he was whipped. An alcoholic dumping his/her alcohol down the drain in front of the significant other is symbolic of being able to move on without a crutch. Obviously, as seen in AoU, he is quite able to do so.

Why wouldn't I have stuck around for the post-credit scene? Wikipedia clearly told me about it beforehand.

M
  • Options

Only liked

1.) Cap 2
    2.) GOTG
    3.) Avengers 1
    4.) Punisher War Zone (produced under the Marvel Knights banner, but by Marvel Studios)
    5.) Cap 1

Really liked Punisher as well,but that was made by a different studio so can't put it on this list. Everything else from Marvel studios has been complete crap imo, including most of the crap made by Fox and Sony. Refuse to watch Ant Man, unless I come across it on free TV at some point down the road.

What is the refusal to see Ant-Man?

M
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Matt said:

Only liked

1.) Cap 2
    2.) GOTG
    3.) Avengers 1
    4.) Punisher War Zone (produced under the Marvel Knights banner, but by Marvel Studios)
    5.) Cap 1

Really liked Punisher as well,but that was made by a different studio so can't put it on this list. Everything else from Marvel studios has been complete crap imo, including most of the crap made by Fox and Sony. Refuse to watch Ant Man, unless I come across it on free TV at some point down the road.

M
    Wait! What? All three Iron man movies fall in the Complete Crap category but you liked Punisher:War Zone? ...does not compute...does not compute...error...
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

Only liked

1.) Cap 2
    2.) GOTG
    3.) Avengers 1
    5.) Cap 1

M
    Principles, baby, principles.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Matt said:

Why wouldn't have stuck around for the post-credit scene? Wikipedia clearly told me about it beforehand.

M

+1

• Options
    Matt said:

I'm not certain I can get behind some of your points here

Not necessarily my quibbles, but I'm just spit-balling a few ideas as to why IM3 seems to register so low in the overall rankings for the Marvel movies among our peers here.

As for my picks:

1) Winter Soldier
    2) Avengers Assemble
    3) Guardians of the Galaxy
    4) Ant-Man
    5) Age of Ultron
    6) First Avenger
    7) Iron Man
    8) Thor 2
    9) Thor
    10) Incredible Hulk
    11) Iron Man 2
    12) Iron Man 3

For me, the reason IM3 is low is that the jokes in the script all seemed slightly forced, the kid wasn't appealing, the producers royally screwed up my hometown, Pepper Pott's character arc was unbelievable, and the break-ability of the suits is what drove this down for me.

The post-credits sequence being my favorite part of the film.)

• Options
    Although I mentioned this on the Ant-Man movie review ep, here's my listing:

1.) Winter Soldier
    2.) Age of Ultron
    3.) Avengers
    4.) First Avenger
    5.) Iron Man
    6.) Ant-Man
    7.) Iron Man 3
    8.) The Dark World
    9.) Thor*
    10.) GotG*
    11.) Iron Man 2*
    12.) Incredible Hulk

* I've shuffled these 3 at times, so they're more a rotating order

M
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

1.) Winter Soldier
    2.) Age of Ultron
    3.) Avengers
    4.) First Avenger
    5.) Iron Man
    6.) Ant-Man
    7.) Iron Man 3
    8.) The Dark World
    9.) Thor*
    10.) GotG*
    11.) Iron Man 2*
    12.) Incredible Hulk

M

Was there dancing in IM2 and Incredible Hulk? :tongue:
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

1.) Winter Soldier
    2.) Age of Ultron
    3.) Avengers
    4.) First Avenger
    5.) Iron Man
    6.) Ant-Man
    7.) Iron Man 3
    8.) The Dark World
    9.) Thor*
    10.) GotG*
    11.) Iron Man 2*
    12.) Incredible Hulk

M

Was there dancing in IM2 and Incredible Hulk? :tongue:
    There's stuff I really liked in IM2; Black Widow, Howard Stark, War Machine, Hammer. It just seemed too much of the Avengers prologue instead of its own franchise.

IH just suffers because it seems more like what I imagine Wright's original Ant-Man concept would've been; an oasis in the MCU. Part of that is a recast (for the better in my opinion) of Banner, & no references or returning cast in the MCU (RDJ excluded) thus far. I'm glad Ross is returning, so maybe it'll feel a little less distant.

GotG at least has some connection to the MCU established.

M
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    To get a more general feel for the audience as a whole, here's the current running order going by ratings on IMDb...

1. Avengers - 8.2
    2. Guardians - 8.1
    3. Ant man - 7.9
    3. Avengers 2 - 7.9
    3. Iron Man - 7.9
    6. Cap 2. - 7.8
    7. Iron Man 3 - 7.3
    8. Iron Man 2 - 7.1
    8. Thor 2 - 7.1
    10. Thor 7.0
    11. Incredible Hulk - 6.9
    12. Cap 1 - 6.8

Interesting stuff
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    What bothered me most about IM3 was the inconsistency of Starks character. one minute he's nearly incompetent and the next he's virtually superhuman. I also really disliked and couldn't buy the new armor. There were also some plot holes and little such things that just annoyed me. Still, I don't rank it as low as most seem to and I'm surprised by the beating it's now getting. Similarly I don't hate on IM3 as much as most. I think I put IM3 above IM2 if for no other reason than it was just "bigger" with more action and variety and more impressive performances imo. Everyone seemed more comfortable in their roles, and like or hate how mandarin was handled, he was great to watch because of Kingsley.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Only ranking the ones I have seen.

1.Winter Soldier
    2.Punisher Warzone
    3.Avengers
    4.Captain America
    5.Thor
    6.Iron Man
    7.Man Thing-I guess I am one of the few people that has seen it.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Only ranking the ones I have seen.

1.Winter Soldier
    2.Punisher Warzone
    3.Avengers
    4.Captain America
    5.Thor
    6.Iron Man
    7.Man Thing-I guess I am one of the few people that has seen it.

Truthfully, the only thing I recall from Man-Thing was the big titted woman who got shish kabobbed & the huge fire at the end. I think Man-Thing was only in those 2 scenes.

M
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I'm with those that didn't care for either Thor. Just found them incredibly boring. I haven't read much Thor so maybe I just don't like the supporting characters at all.
  • Options
    I don't really count Man-Thing as part of the MCU. Like Agents of SHIELD, it was made for television, or am I mistaken? Was it released theatrically? And if we ARE counting it, then do we need to include films featuring Blade, Ghost Rider, Punisher, et al in our rankings too? What about Fantastic Four and X-Men films?
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    FWIW I originally was thinking MCU films- ones produced by Marvel Studios. But I'm all for seeing expanded lists with the FF, Blade, Spidey & X-Men movies peppered in there. I am up for rethinking mine as well.
  • Options

I don't really count Man-Thing as part of the MCU. Like Agents of SHIELD, it was made for television, or am I mistaken? Was it released theatrically? And if we ARE counting it, then do we need to include films featuring Blade, Ghost Rider, Punisher, et al in our rankings too? What about Fantastic Four and X-Men films?

It was released in (very) select international theaters. It cost $7.5 million & lost about $6 million.

I'm sticking with the MCU produced movies. AoS, Netflix shows, Agent Carter (despite being the only TV overseen by the movie division) are a part of the movieverse, but I'm excluding them.

Same with the other Marvel movies. Spider-man will continue to be my favorite comic book movie through nostalgia. Without nostalgia, it's The Wolverine. Though I still say Unbreakable is the best in the genre.

If others want to throw them into the mix, go ahead, by my list is sticking with the studio produced movies.

M
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Matt said:

It was released in (very) select international theaters. It cost $7.5 million & lost about $6 million.

I am with you. And I am keeping my list to the strictly Marvel Studios productions. I found this suggestion interesting though because in the Marvel TV / Cinematic Universe, we've already had several references to Man-Thing. He's been referenced in the following, so far:

Iron Man 3: Ellen Brandt, the Extremis soldier who attacks Tony Stark at the bar, is the wife of Man-Thing and has the facial scars to prove it.

Thor: The Dark World: On Selvig's blackboard, Nexus of All Realities is written. Man-Thing is the guardian of the Nexus of All Realities.

Agents of SHIELD: Maria Hill references Man-Thing during a phone call: "Who or what is a Man-Thing?"

https://youtu.be/P-Rg1UmXpTc

BTW: Wikipedia has an excellent list of all the Marvel Universe movies, even breaking down those produced and distributed by other studios as well as the current 12 that have been produced by marvel Studios
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited July 2015
    I'm throwing all the babies into this bathwater :)

The Standards By Which I Measure All The Rest:
    Iron Man
    Captain America: The First Avenger
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    X-Men 2
    Big Hero 6
    Avengers
    Blade
    First Class
    Spider Man 2

The Really Good
    Punisher
    Thor
    X-Men 1
    Fantastic Four
    The Incredible Hulk
    The Wolverine
    Days of Future Past
    Ant-Man
    Blade: Trinity
    Iron Man 2
    Spider-Man

The Mediocre
    Punisher: War Zone
    FF2: Silver Surfer
    Wolverine: Origins
    Age of Ultron
    Thor 2: Dark World
    Iron Man 3
    Amazing Spider-Man

The Meh
    Blade 2
    Hulk
    X-Men 3
    Spider-Man 3
    Amazing Spider-Man 2

The Unclassifiable
    Howard the Duck :)
  • Options
    edited July 2015
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Still not considering Conan a Marvel comic movie? :)
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Torchsong said:

The Unclassifiable

A bad film, but still a guilty pleasure.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

The Unclassifiable

A bad film, but still a guilty pleasure.
    I still rank it as Tim Robbins' best comic book genre based movie.

M
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    There's a dark side of me that still loves Howard the Duck...but I love bad movies in general.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    A handy guide to the box-office returns of all Marvel branded movies... including Man-Thing :)

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=marvelcomics.htm
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    What I'm loving about reading the various lists is how many of these movies we have to enjoy nowadays. Good, bad, or ugly, look at it all! And that's just the Marvel stuff!
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited July 2015
    Matt said:

Though I still say Unbreakable is the best in the genre.
    Agreed!

There may have been some superhero movies I have enjoyed more, but as a complete work, I think nothing Unbreakable has been the best superhero movie we've had yet. (Or, at least, that I've seen.)