Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Planeis said:

mphil said:

That looks terrible.

Yup. Not one single person I've seen on various sites has liked it. It's terrible. Look at supermans arms. One is three inches shorter than the other and one hand is all effed up. Who OK'd this?
    The thought is probably "it's Batman AND Superman. As long as it doesn't look like B&R, people will see it."

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Planeis said:

Who OK'd this?

Should we go ahead and presume that Warner Bros did?
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980

Planeis said:

Who OK'd this?

Not really no. I'm sure they OK'd empire doing a cover, but I kinda doubt they go around checking everyone's photoshopping work.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Planeis said:

Planeis said:

Who OK'd this?

Not really no. I'm sure they OK'd empire doing a cover, but I kinda doubt they go around checking everyone's photoshopping work.
    From some of the stories I've heard/read, Lucas films is very protective and will check work. Why wouldn't WB do so?
  • Options
    rebis said:

Planeis said:

Planeis said:

Who OK'd this?

From some of the stories I've heard/read, Lucas films is very protective and will check work. Why wouldn't WB do so?
    Marvel does as well, so does Disney in general. If WB doesn't then essentially they still are responsible for it, because it's their IP.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    According to THE WRAP:

Chris Pine has closed a deal to play Steve Trevor opposite Gal Gadot in “Wonder Woman,” TheWrap has learned. Pine joins the DC Movie Universe in a multi-picture deal that includes sequel options, according to insiders.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    kgforce said:

According to THE WRAP:

Chris Pine has closed a deal to play Steve Trevor opposite Gal Gadot in “Wonder Woman,” TheWrap has learned. Pine joins the DC Movie Universe in a multi-picture deal that includes sequel options, according to insiders.

That's cool. I like him and he's a fine fit for the character. Not that Steve Trevor is all that unique or defined physically. Personally though I was hoping he would play Hal Jordan (assuming Hal is used and was to be recast).
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    batlaw said:

kgforce said:

According to THE WRAP:

That's cool. I like him and he's a fine fit for the character. Not that Steve Trevor is all that unique or defined physically. Personally though I was hoping he would play Hal Jordan (assuming Hal is used and was to be recast).

*yawn*

I was much more interested in the idea of him playing Hal Jordan. This confirmation of him playing Trevor seems kind of "meh." I'm sure he will play Steve just fine.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Makes sense. Why take a role that already tanked when you have the chance to create one from the get-go. If this is true, smart career move. Plus, he doesn't have to carry the movie, just be in it. Woot!
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

batlaw said:

kgforce said:

According to THE WRAP:

*yawn*

I was much more interested in the idea of him playing Hal Jordan. This confirmation of him playing Trevour seems kind of "meh." I'm sure he will play Steve just fine.
    I really think they're going to go with the John Stewart character for GL.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    So you're suggesting DC give up on Hal Jordan? Okay.

Yes "woot" indeed. Leading action-man steps into supporting "dude in distress" role.

I'm not much of a Chris Pine fan, but if we get to see him tied to some train tracks or something, that might be funny.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

rebis said:

Planeis said:

Planeis said:

Who OK'd this?

Marvel does as well, so does Disney in general. If WB doesn't then essentially they still are responsible for it, because it's their IP.
    Exactly.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    edited July 2015
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I really think they're going to go with the John Stewart character for GL.

Since they teased that they are going with a Green Lantern Corps movie, I could see him as the lead GL with other human ones around him.
  • Options

So you're suggesting DC give up on Hal Jordan? Okay.

Yes "woot" indeed. Leading action-man steps into supporting "dude in distress" role.

I'm not much of a Chris Pine fan, but if we get to see him tied to some train tracks or something, that might be funny.

Leading action man who.... Can't hold his own movie.
  • Options
    rebis said:

rebis said:

Planeis said:

Planeis said:

Who OK'd this?

Exactly.
    And yet Disneys IP is on the cover of a magazine being used as a sex object
  • Options
    Planeis said:

rebis said:

rebis said:

Planeis said:

Planeis said:

Who OK'd this?

Exactly.
    And yet Disneys IP is on the cover of a magazine being used as a sex object

@CPThrio @icecoldpenguin Lucasfilm & Disney didn't approve, participate in or condone the inappropriate use of our characters in this manner

— Star Wars (@starwars) July 16, 2015

And, Disney did not approve and were even vocal about their disapproval.
  • Options
    exactly. So I don't think magazines have to get strict approval for every thing they put into their pages and I don't think bad photoshop is looked at closely. Especially since it makes its way onto posters all the time
  • Options
    I think when they are promoting a film, as this was for BvS, the reps are frequently not only on the shoot, but get final approval of the cover before it goes to print. In the case with Amy Schumer, Lucasfilm / Disney were NOT on set and did NOT have any control and the magazine thought they were clear to proceed under the parody provisions. Which they were, but Disney was NOT amused.
  • Options
    Word in the news is that a rough cut of the movie was shown to wB execs who liked it so much they are pushing two of Afflecks projects back a full year so that he can direct and star in a Batman movie
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Word in the news is that a rough cut of the movie was shown to wB execs who liked it so much they are pushing two of Afflecks projects back a full year so that he can direct and star in a Batman movie

So, looks like Kent gets screwed again. Batman will (reportedly) be the cornerstone for the DCCU because Affleck is "the definitive Batman."

http://comicbook.com/2015/08/07/batman-v-superman-screening-gets-standing-ovation-affleck-gettin/

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Planeis said:

So, looks like Kent gets screwed again. Batman will (reportedly) be the cornerstone for the DCCU because Affleck is "the definitive Batman."

http://comicbook.com/2015/08/07/batman-v-superman-screening-gets-standing-ovation-affleck-gettin/

M
    Well, look at it however you wish. But Batman is where the money is. Same in comics, TV, direct to video movies, movies. How many Batman TV shows have we had vs. Superman (cartoons specifically). How many direct to DVD movies with Batman? How many movies?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited August 2015
    Planeis said:

How many Batman TV shows have we had vs. Superman (cartoons specifically). How many direct to DVD movies with Batman? How many movies?

Let's see...

Superman:
    Superman (Series of shorts, Anim.)
    Superman (Serial, LA)
    Atom Man Vs. Superman (Serial, LA)
    Superman and the Mole-Men (Serial, LA)
    Adventures of Superman (LA)
    Stamp Day for Superman (Short, LA)
    Superboy (LA)
    Superman (LA)
    Superman II (LA)
    Superman III (LA)
    Superman IV (LA)
    Lois & Clark (LA)
    Smallville (LA)
    The Adventures of Superboy (Anim.)
    The New Adventures of Superman//The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure//The Batman/Superman Hour (Anim.) — All basically the same production, so I'll count them as one
    It’s a Bird... It’s a Plane... It’s Superman! (LA)
    Superman (1988, Anim.)
    Superman (1996, Anim.)
    Superman Returns (LA)
    Superman/Doomsday (DDVD)
    Superman/Shazam: Return of Black Adam (DDVD)
    All-Star Superman (DDVD)
    Superman Vs. the Elite (DDVD)
    Man of Steel (LA)
    Superman: Unbound (DDVD)
    Total: 25

Batman:
    Batman (Serial, LA)
    Batman and Robin (Serial, LA)
    Batman (LA)
    Batman: The Movie (LA)
    Batman/Superman Hour (Anim.)
    New Adventures of Batman (Anim.)
    Batman (LA)
    Batman Returns (LA)
    Batman: TAS/New Adventures of Batman (Anim.)
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Anim.)
    Batman Forever (LA)
    Batman & Robin (LA)
    Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero (DTV)
    Batman Beyond (Anim.)
    Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (DTV)
    Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (DTV)
    The Batman (Anim.)
    The Batman Vs. Dracula (DDVD)
    Batman Begins (LA)
    Batman: The Brave and the Bold (Anim.)
    Batman: Gotham Knight (DDVD)
    Dark Knight (LA)
    Batman: Under the Red Hood (DDVD)
    Batman: Year One (DDVD)
    Dark Knight Rises (LA)
    Batman: Dark Knight Returns (DDVD)
    Total: 26

Batman wins by one. Now, I know you meant recent history, but it really depends on where you draw that line. The point is, it's not quite as big a gap as you might think.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Matt said:

Planeis said:

M
    Well, look at it however you wish. But Batman is where the money is. Same in comics, TV, direct to video movies, movies. How many Batman TV shows have we had vs. Superman (cartoons specifically). How many direct to DVD movies with Batman? How many movies?
    It's more that Kent wasn't even given a chance to be the core of the DCCU. I figured once Batman was introduced, he'd serve as the Nick Fury of the DCCU, but I was hoping they'd put more faith in Kent. Hell, I was hoping we'd hear more about a MoS sequel before an Affleck-led Batman trilogy.

It's still a rumor for the Batman thing, but now I'm having doubts about ever seeing a MoS sequel.

M
  • Options

Planeis said:

How many Batman TV shows have we had vs. Superman (cartoons specifically). How many direct to DVD movies with Batman? How many movies?

Let's see...

Superman:
    Superman (Series of shorts, Anim.)
    Superman (Serial, LA)
    Atom Man Vs. Superman (Serial, LA)
    Superman and the Mole-Men (Serial, LA)
    Adventures of Superman (LA)
    Stamp Day for Superman (Short, LA)
    Superboy (LA)
    Superman (LA)
    Superman II (LA)
    Superman III (LA)
    Superman IV (LA)
    Lois & Clark (LA)
    Smallville (LA)
    The Adventures of Superboy (Anim.)
    The New Adventures of Superman//The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure//The Batman/Superman Hour (Anim.) — All basically the same production, so I'll count them as one
    It’s a Bird... It’s a Plane... It’s Superman! (LA)
    Superman (1988, Anim.)
    Superman (1996, Anim.)
    Superman Returns (LA)
    Superman/Doomsday (DDVD)
    Superman/Shazam: Return of Black Adam (DDVD)
    All-Star Superman (DDVD)
    Superman Vs. the Elite (DDVD)
    Man of Steel (LA)
    Superman: Unbound (DDVD)
    Total: 25

Batman:
    Batman (Serial, LA)
    Batman and Robin (Serial, LA)
    Batman (LA)
    Batman: The Movie (LA)
    Batman/Superman Hour (Anim.)
    New Adventures of Batman (Anim.)
    Batman (LA)
    Batman Returns (LA)
    Batman: TAS/New Adventures of Batman (Anim.)
    Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (Anim.)
    Batman Forever (LA)
    Batman & Robin (LA)
    Batman & Mr. Freeze: SubZero (DTV)
    Batman Beyond (Anim.)
    Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (DTV)
    Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (DTV)
    The Batman (Anim.)
    The Batman Vs. Dracula (DDVD)
    Batman Begins (LA)
    Batman: The Brave and the Bold (Anim.)
    Batman: Gotham Knight (DDVD)
    Dark Knight (LA)
    Batman: Under the Red Hood (DDVD)
    Batman: Year One (DDVD)
    Dark Knight Rises (LA)
    Batman: Dark Knight Returns (DDVD)
    Total: 26

Batman wins by one. Now, I know you meant recent history, but it really depends on where you draw that line. The point is, it's not quite as big a gap as you might think.
    I love Superman, he's actually by far my favorite superhero. Just making an observation. If you go back to the very beginning of comics and examine, over the course of 100 years, who was more popular I would totally concede that it could be Superman. It could be, that over the course of that time that Superman is by far the most popular superhero. I'd completely buy that.

But if we're talking about relatively recent history, the types of things that a big company like WB is going to look at when making business decisions, it seems pretty clear to me where the money is now.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Planeis said:

But if we're talking about relatively recent history, the types of things that a big company like WB is going to look at when making business decisions, it seems pretty clear to me where the money is now.

Sure, and I agree with that, I’m just pointing out that gap isn't quite as large as it appears. That is to say, Warner is still pushing Superman pretty hard, and they're getting decent results. You look at the direct to DVD films they started doing under Bruce Timm's supervision, and Batman and Superman have the same number of appearances. And Superman/Doomsday made $9 million and All-Star Superman made over $7 million compared to Batman: Gotham Knight’s $8 million and Batman: Under the Red Hood’s $10.3 million.

So, yeah, Batman might be the cornerstone, but without a strong Superman franchise I don't think the foundation will be sturdy enough to build a skyscraper.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    Man of Steel 2 said to be on "permanent hold"

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/superman/248664/man-of-steel-2-said-to-be-on-permanent-hold

the amount of expectations/pressure riding on BvS must be insane!!!
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

Man of Steel 2 said to be on "permanent hold"

http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/superman/248664/man-of-steel-2-said-to-be-on-permanent-hold

the amount of expectations/pressure riding on BvS must be insane!!!

Who knows. I don't think there's a world where it's not a success. How big will it be? Idk. Sometimes things hit a zeitgeist and the level of their success can't be explained until afterwards.

Jurassic World was kinda like that. All the estimates for its opening weekend had it being big, but it blew them out of the water. I think the Forbes guy explained it like this: there have only been a handful of $200 million dollar openings. Once the box office predictions reach $160 million for a weekend, they run out of usefulness because of statistically insignificant sample sizes. Jurassic World broke the sound barrier and continued on its way to extreme success.

Star Wars will likely do the same, but no one knows how much. Over on reddit today someone said to me it's basically a certainty that SW becomes the number one movie of all time. I love SW, but that's just not true. Not only are the loyal fans going to have to embrace it, but the general audience is going to have to go crazy for it too.

Anyway, I said all that to say this. B vs S will be a success. Of that I have no doubt. If it truly hits the stratosphere I think it's possible Superman will get his sequal back. Or maybe he'll be in everyone else's movies. I'm fine with either actually.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Everyone thought Man of Steel was a financial success, but WB didnt. So it's not out of the question that BvS could be seen as a disappointment, especially if it's as bad as most Zach Snyder films are.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    So three bits of 'news' from Twitter about the Flash , as portrayed by Ezra Miller, which will reportedly appear in the BvS movie.

This image doesn't do much to diminish my fondness of the current version of the Flash played by Grant Gustin, but your mileage may vary.