Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Editors Now Encouraging Discrimination?

First of all, consider the source.

DC Entertainment editorial has been strongly urged to start upping the numbers of female and non-white writers and artists on their books. And for white, male freelancers to be nudged down the submission pool. Should these publisher focus on hiring the best talent for their books despite the color of their skin, gender or sexual orientation? Or should they be focused on upping the levels of diversity than hiring the best talent? Or should there be a focus on both and not risk throwing out the baby with the bathwater?

Pop quiz: a

A ) Is this a form of reverse-discrimination?
B ) Is this hiring via affirmative action instead of hiring based solely on merit/talent?
C ) Is this a morally right and/or profitable business decision?
D ) Is this political correctness at its finest and a long-overdue decision?
E ) Is this mostly just a click-bait article and much less of an issue than the source believes?
F ) I don't care what the pigment, gender, or sexual orientation of the writers are, as long as the stories are solid.

My feelings about upping the diversity quotient is that publishers ought to get busy and do some recruiting for what they lack, but not that they should handicap those coming in who don't necessarily match the new set of desired pigment/gender/orientation selections.

BTW, my pop quiz choice is "F"

Comments