Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Collection purge: So Long, Old Friends...

The time has come to part ways with a MAJOR portion of my comic collection, as I'm sure many of you have done in times past. I have an appointment on the 10th to go to Pittsburgh to New Dimension Comics and see what they'll give me for all this...

Honestly I'm not expecting overmuch. They quoted me what they typically give per box if there's nothing real special contained therein, so I'm basing my expectations on their low estimate. Still, even at the low end it should be acceptable.

And though I'm getting rid of a LOT of books, I'll still be keeping a bunch as well...

I've also got three full longboxes full of Thor and Thor-related titles that I'll be keeping in addition to what's pictured above.

Honestly I'll be glad to be rid of them. I've not opened many of these boxes for well over 8 years so I'd much rather get some financial use from them since I'm not reading them any longer. And truthfully, if there are some stories I want I'm sure a trade is available.

Still, it feels... odd preparing to part with them.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I've recently divided my collection into "keep" and "discard." Unfortunately there isn't a comic shop that is near enough to be worth hauling my collection to them. Also, I don't have the time or patience to list the books on ebay. I guess it's the dump?
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    Or a yard sale. I had considered that once as well.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited September 2015
    Way To Go @Thor_El
    It may take a day or two to get use to the loss, but I am sure you will feel much more free in the long run.

I am long overdue for the purge as well. I could easily ditch a similar amount to what your photo shows. Just out of curiosity what is the bulk of what you are offloading to New Dimension Comics? If you feel like sharing, please let us know what "they typically give per box" and how it went after they dug through your collection. I would love a ballpark.

I'm getting to the point where I need to make the room, but it just doesn't feel worth the effort to bother to try to sell what I've got. Although I would like to recoup "Something" for all my years holding onto these books.
  • Options
    They told me on the phone that typically if there's nothing special, as in books from the 90s on and such that they give $30-$40 per box (roughly $.10 a book given what fits in most boxes).

They did say that they'll write me a recipt and take about a week or so to look through the collection to see if there are any gems. If so, they'll estimate those individually. But truthfully, as I said I'm not expecting anything major.
  • Options
    Thor_El said:

$30-$40 per box (roughly $.10 a book given what fits in most boxes).

Let this be a lesson to people spending $.16 (+-) a book to bag and board modern/new comics. If you do it, it's only for your own satisfaction. The added cost will never pay off in the long run.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    zikaatlaw said:

The added cost will never pay off in the long run.

Welcome to "speculative comics collecting"
  • Options
    Thor_El said:

10¢ a book hurts...
    but totally understandable considering how much deadwood I have in my collection. A bulk sale at 10¢ a book is probably the most hassle free way to deal with all the duds. I know I could get more if I dealt with it myself, although not much, and it wouldn't be worth my time in the end.

Good luck! Fingers crossed they find some real gems in there!
  • Options
    Doing the same with a bulk of my collection at @wildpigcomics at the end of October. Gotta do what you've gotta do, and since so much of it is digital at this point, there's less of a reason for me to hold onto the older stuff.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    edited September 2015
    Most places in my area pay 20 cents per [filler issue] comic.

You should really consider selling on eBay if you have any unbroken runs. You'd be surprised what some of them bring in, at least for marquee titles (Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, Batman, Spawn) from the '90s, even if there aren't any key issues in them. Last weekend I sold a run of X-Men vol. 2 from #1-11 for over $20 shipped. Yes, the most overprinted comics ever from the speculation area can still go for over cover price if you have a consecutive run. The stuff is not worthless.
  • Options
    I think I might try Craigslist. "You haul"
  • Options
    Elsiebub said:

Most places in my area pay 20 cents per [filler issue] comic.

You should really consider selling on eBay if you have any unbroken runs. You'd be surprised what some of them bring in, at least for marquee titles (Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, Batman, Spawn) from the '90s, even if there aren't any key issues in them. Last weekend I sold a run of X-Men vol. 2 from #1-11 for over $20 shipped. Yes, the most overprinted comics ever from the speculation area can still go for over cover price if you have a consecutive run. The stuff is not worthless.

Yeah, I've sold runs of 25 - 50 books on eBay in the past, and even though you do get much more than 10¢ a book, after you factor in all the time and effort for listing and shipping, it almost isn't worth the energy. I had been considering holding onto it all to give me something to do when I retired, but that is decades away, and I'll run out of storage room long before then.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    If there is not a shop around and you are not concerned about money, donating to libraries or childrens hospitals is an option. You can claim the estimated worth on your taxes. Not sure about hospitals, but libraries will have the donation forms.
  • Options

If there is not a shop around and you are not concerned about money, donating to libraries or childrens hospitals is an option. You can claim the estimated worth on your taxes. Not sure about hospitals, but libraries will have the donation forms.

Truly "Like" this.

• Options
    i tend to just give away my old books to a collector friend who might not have the issues i have
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Perhaps @LibraryBoy could speak better to this but if you plan on just dumping them, consider donating to a local library.

You could also give them to a local hospital/children's hospital.

Or you could donate them to a local middle/high school. As a middle school English teacher, I would love to get a bunch of comics to use in my classroom, or to give to students.

I think with any of these choices, you could write the donation off on your taxes.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    zikaatlaw said:

Thor_El said:

Let this be a lesson to people spending $.16 (+-) a book to bag and board modern/new comics. If you do it, it's only for your own satisfaction. The added cost will never pay off in the long run.

I bag and board books, the spine gets bent otherwise. Do people really do it thinking it will increase the value?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Man, the idea of someone offering me up 20-40$ a box would be a dream. .20 a book id probably jump and dump 65%? of my collection.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

Ha! I skipped right over this. My bad for repeating. Great minds...

I thought of a couple more things you could do instead of dumping them: give out books to trick-or-treaters on Halloween. You'll be the "cool house" on the block for a little while.

If you have a local shop nearby, and if you could wait until May, ask if you could have a table outside where you could give free comics just to children.

No tax benefit for these, but you'll have the joy knowing that your books are likely to be used instead of being put away in another dark basement. You maybe even inspire future generation of artists, writers, film directors, designers, etc.
  • Options
    All my books are bagged and boarded more for my own sense of mind and obsessiveness than any desire or concern for long-term investment.

But truthfully I'm really looking forward to the process. I'm excited to see how it all pans out in the end.
  • Options
    Why not mention some of the runs you have on this thread and see if anyone is willing to make you an offer?
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    ^^ ditto to this, i'd definitely be interested in buying runs of books. Anyone have Hourman for example?
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

I have been doing that at least once every 2 years for a decade now. I also usually drop off a stack at the local women's shelter.

• Options
    fxmattfxmatt Posts: 78
    I just purged two short boxes worth. Brought them to my LCS, got $60 in store credit. I think I can live with that.
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    Do any of you looking to sell live near Milwaukee, WI? We are always buying, and do both cash, in store credit, or a combo if that strikes you better. We tend to give closer to the 20 cents per issue, and if there are higher dollar books, we will make sure you are compensated fairly.

We will happily drive to appraise bigger collections, like @Thor_El, and pay on site if there is a mutually agreeable deal.
  • Options
    That sounds like a good deal, but Milwaukee is a pretty far drive from Central Pennsylvania. :D

I've reserved the U-Haul van and my nephew will be going with me to help out. He's also coming prepared with a list of books he wants to buy from the store when we get there. He's all kinds of excited.
  • Options
    Thor_El said:

That sounds like a good deal, but Milwaukee is a pretty far drive from Central Pennsylvania.

Same here... Vancouver, BC might be out of the neighbourhood.
    Although, with the Canadian dollar so low right now, a trip to Milwaukee might be worth it for ¢20 US a book!

• Options
    compsolut said:

Do any of you looking to sell live near Milwaukee, WI? We are always buying, and do both cash, in store credit, or a combo if that strikes you better. We tend to give closer to the 20 cents per issue, and if there are higher dollar books, we will make sure you are compensated fairly.

We will happily drive to appraise bigger collections, like @Thor_El, and pay on site if there is a mutually agreeable deal.

How about Northern Minnesota? :D

• Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    @Thor_El - you're right, central PA might be a stretch, as well as Vancouver, @Hex, and northern Minnesota, @Mr_Cosmic . . . although with the Wild season starting, it makes a compelling argument!

Now if you all only lived in a line from PA to Milwaukee, @Thor_El could bring the U-Haul and pick you all up one by one, and add to the truckload!
  • Options
    HA! Yeah, that would be quite the road trip indeed.

In other news, after successfully delivering them yesterday they told me they thought it would take a week or two to evaluate given the size of my collection. Surprisingly, they called me today with an offer. I don't know if the guy was anxious to see what I had or if they just made an offer based on volume, but they offered me an amount close enough to the ballpark of what I was expecting that I said okay.

My check, as they say, will be in the mail shortly.

So that's that.