Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1574 Talkback - Spotlight on Dr. Strange

2»

Comments

• Options
    KungFuTreacheryKungFuTreachery Posts: 5
    edited October 2015
    Fantastic episode, but why did you guys not even mention one of the best Doctor Strange stories ever? Saving it for a BOTM, perhaps?

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

Fantastic episode, but why did you guys not even mention one of the best Doctor Strange stories ever? Saving it for a BOTM, perhaps?

I have to admit, after @wildpigcomics gushed over this book during a recent Dr Doom discussion, I was startled this didn't even receive an honorable mention. One of the best. Could be that it's real more about Doom than Strange. Still, a great story.
  • Options
    I've always been interested in Dr. Strange, though he was never a favorite hero of mine. This Spotlight episode, however, may have changed that. Chris and Murd are *the* *best* when it comes to Speaking their Comic Geekiness, and their enthusiasm is so contagious! Now I must re-read my floppies of The Oath and then gird my loins for the Dr. Strange film on the horizon. (I was hoping for Jon Hamm, but Cumberbatch will nail it, I'm sure.) Anyway, thank you, Drs. Murd and Eberlee for a wonderful 2-3 hours of entertainment.
  • Options
    Thanks for another fantastic Spotlight episode! Great work, as always, Chris and Adam. Love, love the spotlights and please add me to the list of people clamoring for a Defenders spotlight someday.

Over on the "Cover a Day (is Awesome)" thread, I put up the first book I read with Doctor Strange (Defenders #5), and the first place I read his origin (Origins of Marvel Comics). In honor of the Spotlight, I thought I'd post a few more Doctor Strange covers this week.

If anyone wants to post up their first Doctor Strange comic (or any covers they especially love), pop over there and join in the fun! ;-)

thecomicforums.com/discussion/comment/90090/#Comment_90090
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    ...and now for my second half listening of the spotlight on "The Master of the Mystic Arts!" (And I think that's the real reason why Wong really calls him "master.")....Yeah, Marvel Premiere!: There was the usual distribution problem in my college neighborhood where I would only be able to find about every other issue, but I enjoyed whatever I read...Hmm, pronunciation check? I've always said Brunner as in "tuner" but I guess the two "n's" would mean that it's like "runner." But I still say "Bruner"...Great sneeze Murd!: "By the Vapors of Valtor!" ....I haven't read many of those third volume Roy Thomas stories either! I'm especially interested in getting the Gene Colan-drawn ones...Hmm, one negative to the episode for me was that at times you talked over each other, so I couldn't hear full sentences a few times...The Oath: I haven't read it, but I think I'll try it out!...Always loving Chris's guffaws (?)....Bravo, Murd: Oktid!...The 1978 Doctor Strange TV movie: I do remember seeing it once or twice, and yeah it was typical 70's fare. It reminded me of some episodes of the Six Billion Dollar Man or Charlie's Angels. LOL! ... Well, you guys have stoked my interest in the new movie even more! I'm going to go out and look for some Dr. Strange comics!
  • Options

I have to admit, after @wildpigcomics gushed over this book during a recent Dr Doom discussion, I was startled this didn't even receive an honorable mention. One of the best. Could be that it's real more about Doom than Strange. Still, a great story.
    Indeed, "Triumph and Torment" is a classic Doc Strange yarn. I even had it with me in the studio, but completely forgot to mention it! We did indeed honor the book during our Doom spotlight, but it certainly deserved further breathless accolades during this episode. Thanks for the reminder!
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Mark Waid and Emma Rios did a good mini a few years ago called Strange. I personally enjoyed it more than Oath, but that's just me...

Totally missed that one....but have heard some really good things about it....will have to try to find it.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    SamirDave said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

Mark Waid and Emma Rios did a good mini a few years ago called Strange. I personally enjoyed it more than Oath, but that's just me...

Totally missed that one....but have heard some really good things about it....will have to try to find it.

This takes place during a time when he was nearly powerless. He plays the mentor in this tale. Just so people aren't expecting uber powerful Strange.
  • Options
    The Oath is a great comic, but there's one thing about it that's always bugged me. The gun that is mystically powered because it was Hitler's suicide weapon: where'd that come from? Hitler was killed by the original Human Torch!
  • Options
    AlbertCampionAlbertCampion Posts: 19
    edited October 2015
    Doctor Strange has always been a favorite character of mine, so I was looking forward to this episode. To me, Strange isn't a super-hero at all, but is a scholar..."Doctor Strange" isn't even a code name, it's his actual name.
    It was mentioned that Strange isn't a relatable character, but I don't think he should or can be. He's mysterious, and has knowledge about, and faces forces the other citizens of the Marvel universe couldn't possibly imagine. How can we relate to a character who has conversations with Eternity? He's on the other side of the veil - we can only watch as he guards against threats no one will even realize were there.
    I just have a couple more comments. One is picky, and that is the Book of the Vishanti isn't like Destiny's book, but is a grimoire and the opposite of the Darkhold.
    The other comment is that I think the Strange Tales series by Peter Gillis is very good. When Strange destroyed his tools rather than them fall into Urthona's hands after Urthona ripped the Sanctum from its foundations, he began a slide into darkness. He became too corrupt to use the Eye of Agamotto and resorted to using the Wings of Needless Sorrow, losing his soul and identity along the way. He even turned to Kaluu for guidance. It just came out as a trade a few months ago... I recommend it.
    Lastly, I'm looking forward to the new Doctor Strange series by Jason Aaron with cautious optimism. Aaron is a good writer, but Strange has become a two-dimensional character over the last several years. Maybe it's the drawing of Strange with an ax, but I'm afraid he won't have the respectfulness he had under Lee, Ditko, and Stern.

Oh, and I forgot... <grumpyOldManRant>I don't like it when artists draw the Eye of Agamotto opened for no reason. When it's open it emits the mystical light and the Eye may affix itself to Strange's forehead.</grumpyOldManRant>
  • Options
    Prior to listening to this episode, the only Strange tales (heh) I had read were DOCTOR STRANGE Vol 2 #26 - #28 (featuring the In-Betweener), a handful of his appearances with The Defenders, and the graphic novel DOCTOR STRANGE: SEASON ONE. Chris and Adam so thoroughly rendered the publication history of the good Doctor, and really got me interested in THE OATH that I tracked it down. Well, I just finished reading it and, by the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth, I daresay I truly enjoyed it! Well done, gentlemen! Thanks for the suggested readings.
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137

Another excellent Spotlight gentlemen!

https://youtu.be/hPbKjYnrxws

The "A Saucer Full of Secrets" album cover was created by the late Storm Thorgerson, legendary designer of many of Pink Floyd's album images.

I wasn't aware of Dr. Strange being on that album cover, but since you guys mentioned it, I've had the tune "Corporal Clegg" running through my head..
  • Options

Not just one of the best Dr. Strange stories, but one of the best superhero stories I've read. I love this book. Hoping they do a BOTM on it someday, as that would be great.

chris
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Finally finished listening to this episode and before listening to it I thought I knew so much about Dr. Strange. I sort of do but that's from Defenders, New Avengers, and whenever he would team-up or guest star in other books. Adam and Chris did a great job of focusing on Dr. Strange titled books. I hope they do a Spotlight on Defenders one day (no rush just be quick about it :)) I have read the first six issues in the digest back in the day and a few issues here and there. I read The Oath and I need to revisit it.

I don't think they mentioned Clea's tryst with Ben Franklin who was actually some enemy disguised as Ben Franklin. I will listen again when I get a chance. This episode was so dense! Great job!
  • Options
    penn2kpenn2k Posts: 30
    This was a great refresher on Dr. Strange. Just picked up the new #1 yesterday and I've got to say - it was one of the most brilliant comics I've ever read in a long, long time.
  • Options
    Anyone else remember the 2007/08 animated movie about Strange? "Doctor Strange: The Sorcerer Supreme"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryOsDRg5pFQ

I don't remember if the guys mentioned it or not...

Also, just read issue one of the new Marvel series. I'm in. Though it seems they're making Strange sort of a Tony Stark light when it comes to womanizing and attitude. (Not familiar with Strange. Maybe he's like that to, though I didn't get that vibe listening to this episode.)
  • Options
    Great episode on a character that I have never cared for. I've tried to read Doctor Strange a few times over the years, and the character just doesn't resonate with me. Such is the case with a lot of Marvel's mystic characters. As Brigand put it:
    Magic often seems like an easy out for a storyteller. All you need is a new spell, even if it's one that's made up on the spot out of left field. As a very wise man at Marvel once said (I'm paraphrasing), "It's magic. We don't have to explain it."

I read The Oath on Comixology just for this podcast, and I'm glad I did. It was a tremendously enjoyable story. As Chris and Murd said, it's highly accessible, even to someone who has little to no knowledge of Doctor Strange. But looking at the climactic battle, I couldn't help but wonder if Brian K. Vaughan might share some of my feelings about magic as a storytelling device.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Can't wait to listen to this. Your spotlights are usually excellent!
  • Options
    Comixology is having a huge Dr. Strange collection and single issue sale until 11/7 for the collections and until 11/10 for the single issues. I know I am getting the Ditko/Lee Masterworks and the recent single issues for $0.99 I am going to listen to this episode again to get find some other things.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Great episode on a character that I have never cared for. I've tried to read Doctor Strange a few times over the years, and the character just doesn't resonate with me. Such is the case with a lot of Marvel's mystic characters. As Brigand put it:
    Magic often seems like an easy out for a storyteller. All you need is a new spell, even if it's one that's made up on the spot out of left field. As a very wise man at Marvel once said (I'm paraphrasing), "It's magic. We don't have to explain it."

I read The Oath on Comixology just for this podcast, and I'm glad I did. It was a tremendously enjoyable story. As Chris and Murd said, it's highly accessible, even to someone who has little to no knowledge of Doctor Strange. But looking at the climactic battle, I couldn't help but wonder if Brian K. Vaughan might share some of my feelings about magic as a storytelling device.

Well put.

I don't know if you've already heard it, but Eric Molinsky's Imaginary Worlds podcast did an episode all about this idea-- that magic in fiction tends to fall into two camps of how clearly the writer is or isn't creating a system that makes sense or plays by a set of rules. That you can divide magic that is in fiction into "poetic" vs. "scientific". It's a great episode.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Nice breakdown of 'The Oath' my MArvel TL;DR a tale about the lengths a Sorcerer Supreme will go to save buddy, Wong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T28zzu2olUM
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Fun episode.

Dr Strange is my second favorite comic book superhero,right behind Captain America.Really I think any comic fan should at least try out the Silver Age Stan Lee/Steve Ditko stuff from Strange Tales.