Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Stan Lee, what would you have him sign?

So Stan Lee will be at Heroes this year. I have my ticket to get an autograph from him, but now I can't decide what to have him sign. Spiderman Omnibus, Spiderman 50, Captain America 100? These are a few comics that I own that he has written, I'm wondering if I should do one of these or get something else. What are your favorite Stan stories and if you could get anything signed, what would it be?

Answers

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Stan Lee's Amazing Marvel Universe
    When I first got into comics, my cousin got me this book. It is Stan's 50 biggest moments in Marvel history or whatever. You hit a button and he talks about why he loves a certain moment. To a new comic reader, without much knowledge of the Marvel U, it was just great in giving me a basis for Marvel's history.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    A check to the Kirby family?
    Dear Dislikers: Must every comment be accompanied by a winking slimie for you to recognize a joke?

~X(
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Ravage 2099 #1

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    A check to the Kirby family?
    Dear Dislikers: Must every comment be accompanied by a winking slimie for you to recognize a joke?

~X(

• Options
    So Stan Lee will be at Heroes this year. I have my ticket to get an autograph from him, but now I can't decide what to have him sign. Spiderman Omnibus, Spiderman 50, Captain America 100? These are a few comics that I own that he has written, I'm wondering if I should do one of these or get something else. What are your favorite Stan stories and if you could get anything signed, what would it be?
    Given those three choices, I would go with either Spider-Man 50 or Captain America 100 just because I think if you're going to have a Stan Lee signature, get it on an original book of his, not a reprint, as nice as that reprint might be.
  • Options
    phansfordphansford Posts: 221
    I'm sure that are differing opinions, but I feel very strongly about getting high priced comic books autographed.

I would never have a collectable comic book like ASM 50 or Cap 100 signed by anyone. The value is in the book or the autograph. The autograph would devalue the book - IMHO. Seriously.... how much is a Stan Lee autograph? How much is the book worth? Its not additive. Unless you had some sort of COA to prove the signature is real you run the risk of damaging the value of the book.

If I had anything for him to autograph it would be a first edition of "The Origins of Marvel Comics" since signed hard bound books are typically more acceptable in the collectable market.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    The card @DoctorDoom posted, I've been meaning to dig that out of storage. My other choices would be my FF #24, 28, ASM #80, Cap #101, the Marvel No-Prize Book, or my no-prize.
  • Options
    EarthGBillyEarthGBilly Posts: 362
    If I had the chance, it would be a comic not even written by him.

The first comic I ever read was Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #60. It was a Double-Sized issue with two stories, one of which was a retelling of Spidey's origin. The writer was Roger Stern.

I still have that comic... somewhere. It is beat up and in lousy condition. I've never been really into autographs, but I've always thought I should try to get everyone that had anything to do with that comic to sign it for me, just because they are entirely responsible for my fandom.

I've always thought I'd include Stan the Man, because he was one of the creators of Spider-Man. (I hold no hope of getting Steve Ditko, though.)
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    A legal document bequeathing all his creator rights to me.

Bwa-ha-ha!
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    If I had the chance, it would be a comic not even written by him.

The first comic I ever read was Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #60. It was a Double-Sized issue with two stories, one of which was a retelling of Spidey's origin. The writer was Roger Stern.

I still have that comic... somewhere. It is beat up and in lousy condition. I've never been really into autographs, but I've always thought I should try to get everyone that had anything to do with that comic to sign it for me, just because they are entirely responsible for my fandom.

I've always thought I'd include Stan the Man, because he was one of the creators of Spider-Man. (I hold no hope of getting Steve Ditko, though.)
    There should be a "This is the best post and this conversation is over" button.

I love this idea. And its personal. If I am getting autographs, I typically want them for personal reasons.

I had won a "No Prize" when I was in high school. I'd have Stan autograph that...... if I still had it.
  • Options
    preacherpreacher Posts: 4
    A declaration saying that jack and Steve deserve equal credit.
  • Options
    bustybusty Posts: 104
    He can sign my tits,that'll make him meet jack quicker :)
  • Options
    I'm sure that are differing opinions, but I feel very strongly about getting high priced comic books autographed.

I would never have a collectable comic book like ASM 50 or Cap 100 signed by anyone. The value is in the book or the autograph. The autograph would devalue the book - IMHO. Seriously.... how much is a Stan Lee autograph? How much is the book worth? Its not additive. Unless you had some sort of COA to prove the signature is real you run the risk of damaging the value of the book.

If I had anything for him to autograph it would be a first edition of "The Origins of Marvel Comics" since signed hard bound books are typically more acceptable in the collectable market.
    If I get a Stan original signed by Stan Lee, I'm not selling it, so this is completely irrelevant. The value of anything in my collection isn't based on what people will pay for it, it's based on what I value out of it.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I'd get him to sign a Marvel Masterworks, probably. Volume 1 of FF would be my choice, I think.
  • Options
    SonofthorSonofthor Posts: 73
    I would have him sign my Iron Man #1. It is not in the greatest of shape but hey its still Iron Man.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    A copy of Batman like Sheldon did :)
  • Options

If I get a Stan original signed by Stan Lee, I'm not selling it, so this is completely irrelevant. The value of anything in my collection isn't based on what people will pay for it, it's based on what I value out of it.
    Speaking from personal experience..... that's true, until you decide to sell. Any everyone sells off their collection at some point in their life. Or your heirs will - :))

My position is that people should collect what they like.... not due to perceived value or "future" value. If something turns out to be valuable.... great... bonus...... if not, you still have something you like.

My original comment however is that comics have a value based on grade. When they are autographed the grade is affected in the negative. Typically, you would want to have something autographed that is valued less than the autograph. However, autographs typically do not affect the value of hard bound books, they will increase the value. So my comment is a cautionary warning.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    A legal document bequeathing all his creator rights to me.
    He can sign my tits,that'll make him meet jack quicker :)
    I think a lot of people would be willing to sign that particular item....
    A copy of Batman like Sheldon did :)
    I had a similar idea years ago with Star Trek. I wanted to get Takei (Sulu) to sign a Koenig (Chechov) action figure but I chickened out.

• Options
    I had a similar idea years ago with Star Trek. I wanted to get Takei (Sulu) to sign a Koenig (Chechov) action figure but I chickened out.
    Takei would get the joke.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I met Stan on the set of Mallrats, but didn't get anything signed...it would have felt tacky. I did have a nice discussion with him about how the offices at Marvel worked in the 50's since I know very little about that and he hasn't given many interviews on it, I knew he wouldn't have the pre-packaged stories he's told a million times. We also chatted a bit about Joe Maneely..and he said Joe was so fast and so good, they may not have hired more than 1 or 2 artist after the 1957 collapse if Joe wouldn't have passed away.

Could you imagine a Early Marvel of just Kirby, Ditko and Maneeley?
  • Options
    I met Stan on the set of Mallrats,
    There's a story I'm unfamilar with...

Probably don't need to derail this thread for it, tho.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I met Stan on the set of Mallrats,
    There's a story I'm unfamilar with...

Probably don't need to derail this thread for it, tho.

I also want to hear this story.
  • Options
    FoneBoneFoneBone Posts: 52
    At the L.A. con last year there was a tattoo booth and some 19 year old girl got stan to sign the outside of her wrist and then went and got it tattooed. It was her first tattoo and fairly large and highly visible. I imagine in eventually if not already she is wishing she had just asked him to sign a Spiderman lunchbox.