Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The CGS "Best of 2015" Awards - E-Mail Nominations by *(EXTENDED DEADLINE!)* 2/19

Another year in comics has come and gone, and once again the CGS Geeks are asking YOU, podcast listeners and forum members, to help them pay homage to those comics, characters, and creators that helped make 2015 great!

If you'd like to make your voice heard in our podcast's annual "Best of" honors, here's a list of the categories in which we're seeking listener nominees:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2015)
BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2015)
BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2015)
BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2015)
BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT
BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series)
BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT
BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2015)
BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION)
BEST WRITER
BEST ARTIST
BEST WRITER/ARTIST
BEST INKER
BEST COLOR ARTIST
BEST LETTERER
BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2015

To participate, submit your ballot via e-mail to bestof@comicgeekspeak.com by (**NEW DEADLINE!) 4:59 pm (EST), Friday, Feb. 19, 2016. Please make a nomination in AT LEAST EIGHT of the above-listed categories, and select only ONE nominee per category!

If you'd like to share your list of nominees publicly, please feel free to do it here in this thread, but be aware that posting such lists here DOES NOT COUNT as voting; you must submit your ballot via e-mail for it to be counted as part of the official listeners' nomination process!

Thanks in advance for your input, everyone! If you have any questions, send me a PM or just ask 'em here.

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Thanks @Adam_Murdough I was wondering if you guys were going to do it again this year. Pleased to see some traditions never go away :)
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited January 2016

If you'd like to share your list of nominees publicly, please feel free to do it here in this thread

Here's what I went with:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2015) - "Ant-Man Security Solutions" (Ant-Man, Grizzly, and Machine Man)
    BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2015) - God Doom
    BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2015) - Airboy
    BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2015) - Secret Wars
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT - Squadron Supreme decapitates (REDACTED)
    BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series) - Secret Wars
    BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT - Dr. Strange
    BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2015) - Lazarus
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION) - N/A
    BEST WRITER - Jonathon Hickman (Secret Wars, East of West, The Dying & the Dead)
    BEST ARTIST - Marco Checchetto (Avengers World)
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST - Walt Simonson (Ragnarok)
    BEST INKER - N/A
    BEST COLOR ARTIST - Greg Hinkle (Airboy)
    BEST LETTERER - Clayton Cowles (Secret Wars - The dude had to go lower case for Ultimate characters and upper for Marvel!)
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2015 - Charles Soule (She-Hulk, Inhumans)
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    Here is what I have managed to put together:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2015) - Robins (We Are . . . Robin)
    BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2015) - Mr. Bloom (Batman 43)
    BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2015) - Darth Vader
    BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2015) - The Fade Out
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT - Silver Surfer #11 as best moment. Taking the medium to a new place, so cool.
    BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series) - Batman and Robin Eternal
    BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT - Dr. Strange
    BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2015) - Silver Surfer
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION) - The Private Eye
    BEST WRITER - Ed Brubaker
    BEST ARTIST - Michael Allred
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST - Skottie Young
    BEST INKER - Salvador Larroca
    BEST COLOR ARTIST - Laura Allred
    BEST LETTERER - Jared K Fletcher (Paper Girls, The Goddamned, Rebels, We Are Robin)
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2015 - Chip Zdarsky
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I really don't read enough modern comics to vote. If I did it would be all Archie's Dark Circle stuff,Walking dead and Crossed.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

If you'd like to share your list of nominees publicly, please feel free to do it here in this thread

Here's what I went with:
    Dunno if this is disqualified or not. Originally it was to be an 8 issue limited series, but Marvel added a 9th issue somewhere (thanks, Marvel ...and Obama?). I know because I never ordered the 9th issue from DCBS and had to go swing by my LCS, hoping they still had a copy. They did. *whew*

Anyway... Issue 8 came out in 2015, but issue 9 came out about a couple of weeks ago (1/6/16). Although it was originally scheduled to be released in the last week of December, it got bumped back a week and into 2016. So I don't know how the Geeks will handle this?

I don't know why I care so much. I'm not trying to call you out or anything. I probably just need to go to bed. It's late. Uh, cheers! ;)
  • Options
    Best New Hero - Rowan Black - Black Magick by Greg Rucka & Nicola Scott
    Best New Villain - Roku - Ninjak by Matt Kindt
    Best New Comic - Black Magick by Greg Rucka & Nicola Scott
    Best Limited Series - We Stand on Guard - Brian K Vaughn & Steve Skroce
    Best Moment - Batman climbs into Moebius Chair
    Best Storyline - Omega Hulk - Hulk By Gerry Duggan & Mark Bagley #5-16
    Best Sleeper - Suiciders - Lee Bermejo
    Best Ongoing Comic - Letter 44 by Charles Soule and Alberto Alberquerque
    Best Graphic Album - Batman Earth One Vol 2 by Geoff Johns and Gary Frank
    Best Writer - Matt Hawkins - Postal, The Tithe, IXth Generation, Tales of Honor
    Best Artist - Nicola Scot - Black Magick
    Best Writer/Artist - Lee Bermejo - Suiciders
    Best Inker - Drew Hennessey - Sinestro
    Best Color Artist - Andrew Dalhouse - Flash
    Best Letterer - Crank! - Letter 44
    Breakthrough Talent 2015 - V. Ken Marion - Jirni Vol 2
  • Options
    BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2015) Josie Schuller from Lady Killer
    BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2015) Aliens from Paper Girls
    BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2015) Paper Girls
    BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2015) Tet
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT Ha tells Eugene she meant to hurt him in Tet.
    BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series) The arc ending Waid/Samnee's Daredevil

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT Bizarro
    BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2015) Copperhead
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION) Usagi Yojimbo Gallery Edition
    BEST WRITER Mark Waid
    BEST ARTIST Scotty Godlewski
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST Joelle Jones
    BEST INKER Danny Miki
    BEST COLOR ARTIST Trish Mulvihill
    BEST LETTERER Joe Caramagna
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2015 Tom King
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited January 2016
    fredzilla said:

Dunno if this is disqualified or not. Originally it was to be an 8 issue limited series, but Marvel added a 9th issue somewhere (thanks, Marvel ...and Obama?). I know because I never ordered the 9th issue from DCBS and had to go swing by my LCS, hoping they still had a copy. They did. *whew*

Anyway... Issue 8 came out in 2015, but issue 9 came out about a couple of weeks ago (1/6/16). Although it was originally scheduled to be released in the last week of December, it got bumped back a week and into 2016. So I don't know how the Geeks will handle this?

I don't know why I care so much. I'm not trying to call you out or anything. I probably just need to go to bed. It's late. Uh, cheers! ;)

Crap! LOL!

I emailed the Geeks changing my pick to "Airboy."

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    fredzilla said:

Here's what I went with:

@fredzilla just ruined Christmas.
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

Here's what I went with:

I hereby arbitrarily decree that, whereas the bulk of it was published in 2015, and whereas its final issue missed the cutoff date by a measly six days (after multiple postponements, without which the issue would have seen print months before the deadline), the Secret Wars miniseries WILL be considered eligible for nomination in this year's "Best Of" Awards! @TheOriginalGMan, you're free to restore your ballot to its original, unrevised state (or to leave it as it is, at your discretion).
  • Options

@TheOriginalGMan, you're free to restore your ballot to its original, unrevised state (or to leave it as it is, at your discretion).

Thanks, Murd! I'll go back to "Secret Wars." Follow-up to the follow-up email to, well, follow.

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    My picks. Emailing now:

Best New Hero - Huck (Image)
    Best New Villain - Mr. Bloom (DC, Batman)
    Best New Comic - Bloodshot Reborn (Valiant)
    Best Limited Series - Divinity (Valiant)
    Best Moment - Darth Vader #6: "I have a son. He will be mine. It will all be mine".
    Best Storyline - Vader Down (Marvel crossover)
    Best Sleeper - Descender (J. Lemire, Image)
    Best Ongoing Comic - Darth Vader
    Best Graphic Album - Thanos: The Infinity Relativity
    Best Writer - Jonathan Hickman (Secret Wars)
    Best Artist - Esad Ribik (Secret Wars)
    Best Writer/Artist - Walt Simonson (IDW, Ragnarok)
    Best Inker - David Aja (Hawkeye)
    Best Color Artist - Matthew Wilson (Adventures of Superman; Wicked + Divine, Daredevil, & Thor)
    Best Letterer - Todd Klein (Fables, Sandman: Overture)
    Breakthrough Talent 2015 - Babs Tarr (Batgirl)

Some added categories:
    Best Single Issue or One-Shot: The Multiversity: Pax Americana #1
    Best crossover event: Secret Wars
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Hi gang, here's my nominations (trying to be a little different by picking a lot of Lazarus being they're a great team, in my opinion) Be careful of spoilers (Sorry!)

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2015) London Legion of Superheroes (Big Bad Ben, Double Decker, Pub Crawler, and Tiffany Terror) from Harley's Little Black Book #1

BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2015) The mysterious guy gang (time travelers?) from Paper Girls.
    BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2015) Paper Girls from Image
    BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2015) The Rook from Dark Horse (a time travel machine and H.G. Wells!)
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT Lazarus #21 (injured Forever and new young Forever?)
    BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series) Lazarus #17 to 21 ('Poison")
    BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT Superman Lois and Clark
    BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2015) Lazarus
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION) Love & Rockets #7
    BEST WRITER Greg Rucka (Lazarus, Black Magic, The Journey to Star Wars The Force Awakens: Shatterered Empire
    BEST ARTIST Chris Bachalo (Dr. Strange)
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST Jaime Hernandez, Love & Rockets
    BEST INKER Tyler Boss (Lazarus)
    BEST COLOR ARTIST Santi Arcas (Lazarus)
    BEST LETTERER Jodi Wynne (Lazarus)
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2015 Andrea Mutti (artist on Rebels) (I think he's actually been around awhile, but I think Rebels is his best stuff thus far).
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Here's my list...

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2015) - Howling Commandos of Shield
    BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2015) - Bloodsquirt
    BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2015) - Papergirls
    BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2015) - Book of Death (Valiant)
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT - the death of *no spoilers* in Secret Wars
    BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series) - Secret Wars
    BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT - Doctor Strange
    BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2015) - Saga
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION) - Swamp Thing by Scott Snyder Deluxe Edition
    BEST WRITER - Brian K Vaughn
    BEST ARTIST - Fiona Staples
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST - Jeff Lemire
    BEST INKER - Dan Schoening
    BEST COLOR ARTIST - Mathew Wilson (Thor)
    BEST LETTERER - Fonografiks
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2015 - Marguerite Bennet (DC Bombshells)
  • Options
    Each year the nominations episode is one of my favorites (second only to your great spotlights).

Here is my list, which is indicative of my limited reading of new series (which is Marvel Unlimited heavy with a does of Image and just a small amount of DC):

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2015): Tim-21 (Descender)

BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2015): Aphra (Star Wars: Darth Vader)

BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2015): Star Wars: Darth Vader

BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2015): Multiversity

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT: [****spoiler!!!**** Vader learns Luke is son (in both Star Wars and Darth Vader)

BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series): Multiversity

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT: Paper Girls

BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2015): Saga

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION): Sandman: Overture

BEST WRITER: Jonathan Hickman

BEST ARTIST: Esad Ribic

BEST WRITER/ARTIST: Stan Sakai

BEST INKER: (seems to be a lost art)

BEST COLOR ARTIST: Ive Svorcina (Secret Wars)

BEST LETTERER: Clayton Cowles (Secret Wars)

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2015: Russell Dauterman (Thor)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited February 2016
    I'm still behind on a lot of titles, so I haven't settled on all my nominations yet, but here's what I have so far:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2015)

BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2015)

BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2015)
    Paper Girls

BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2015)
    The Private Eye (Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin)

BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT

BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series)

BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT
    Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2015)
    Saga

BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION)
    Two Brothers (Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon)

BEST WRITER
    Brian K. Vaughan (Saga, Paper Girls)

BEST ARTIST
    Darwyn Cooke (Twilight Children)

BEST WRITER/ARTIST
    Mike Mignola (Hellboy in Hell)

BEST INKER
    Kevin Nowlan (Dr. Strange, The Graveyard Book vol. 2)

BEST COLOR ARTIST
    Tyler Crook (Harrow County)

BEST LETTERER
    Ed Brisson (I like what he does with sound f/x, which you don't see very much of these days)

BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2015
    Erica Henderson (Squirrel Girl, Jughead)
  • Options
    I'm wondering if there's going to be really low turnout for this, this year, because of the forums having been down this past week, and the low number of people coming back?
    Personally, I'm having a hard time with filling out my list as I've read the least comics this past year than I ever have since I found out about CGS and these forums about 7 years ago.
  • Options
    BEST ONGOING COMIC - The New ARCHIE Comic
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM - My Hero Academia
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST - Brian K Vaughn & Fiona Staples (SAGA)
    BEST ARTIST - Sara Pichelli
    BEST WRITER - Mark Waid
    BEST LIMITED SERIES - Secret Wars
    BEST COLOR ARTIST - Hi Fi Color
    BEST NEW COMIC - Doctor Strange
    BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT - Black Clover
    BEST STORYLINE - Sex Criminals
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2015 - Mingle Chen - Gotham Academy
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT - Jem & The Holograms 7 Eric Raymond having a hacker dig up dirt on Jem & the Holograms.
  • Options
    Here's my picks:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2015): Huck (Image)
    BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2015): Aphra, 000 and BT-1 (Star Wars: Darth Vader)
    BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2015): Airboy (Image)
    BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2015): Lady Killer (Dark Horse)
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT: The last scene from Invicible "Reboot" (had me crying like baby)
    BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series): Waid & Samnee's end run on Daredevil (Marvel)
    BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT: Superman Lois and Clark (DC)
    BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2015): Invincible (Image)(I forget how consistly good this book is)
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION): The Private Eye
    BEST WRITER: Jason Aaron (Southern Bastard, Thor, Dr. Strange, Star Wars, & The Goddamned)
    BEST ARTIST: Sean Philips (The Fade Out, Criminal)
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST: Terry Moore (Rachel Rising!)
    BEST INKER: Tyler Boss (Lazarus)
    BEST COLOR ARTIST: Matthew Wilson (Thor, Daredevil)
    BEST LETTERER: Todd Klein
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2015: Tom King (Grayson, Sheriff of Bagdad, Omega-Men, The Vision)
  • Options
    For everyone nominating Tom King for Breakthrough Talent of 2015, Tom actually won this category in last year's awards. While I agree he's had an outstanding year, can you break through twice, @Adam_Murdough?
  • Options
    Well, maybe he broke through and then, once he was there, he broke back through to the other side?
  • Options

For everyone nominating Tom King for Breakthrough Talent of 2015, Tom actually won this category in last year's awards. While I agree he's had an outstanding year, can you break through twice, Adam_Murdough?

Well, there's no rule specifically prohibiting it... And I guess it could be argued that he's "broken through" significant ceilings of success in two consecutive years. I personally wouldn't encourage people to nominate the same creator in that category two years in a row (no slight to Tom intended), but I won't forbid it, either.
  • Options

For everyone nominating Tom King for Breakthrough Talent of 2015, Tom actually won this category in last year's awards. While I agree he's had an outstanding year, can you break through twice, Adam_Murdough?

Well, there's no rule specifically prohibiting it... And I guess it could be argued that he's "broken through" significant ceilings of success in two consecutive years. I personally wouldn't encourage people to nominate the same creator in that category two years in a row (no slight to Tom intended), but I won't forbid it, either.
    Fair enough. I'm pretty sure I voted for him last year, which is why I nominated Erica this year. Else I probably would have nominated Tom this year.
  • Options

Well, maybe he broke through and then, once he was there, he broke back through to the other side?

Great, now I have the Doors stuck in my head. Thanks a lot. :wink:
  • Options
    penn2kpenn2k Posts: 30
    edited February 2016
    Here's what I went with this year:

BEST NEW HERO or HERO TEAM (debut in 2015): DC Comics Bombshells
    BEST NEW VILLAIN or VILLAIN TEAM (debut in 2015): Mr. Bloom ( Batman )
    BEST NEW COMIC (first issue shipped in 2015): Doctor Strange
    BEST LIMITED SERIES (last issue shipped in 2015): Airboy
    BEST CLIFFHANGER/MOMENT: The Squadron Supreme kills ******* ( C’mon - they cut his freakin’ head clean off! )
    BEST STORYLINE (within a series or across multiple series): Vader Down ( Star Wars / Darth Vader )
    BEST SLEEPER/SURPRISE HIT: Hercules
    BEST ONGOING COMIC (need not have begun publication in 2015): Darth Vader
    BEST GRAPHIC ALBUM (OGN or COLLECTION): Orion Omnibus by Walter Simonson
    BEST WRITER: James Robinson
    BEST ARTIST: Stuart Immonen ( Star Wars )
    BEST WRITER/ARTIST: Walter Simonson ( Ragnarok )
    BEST INKER: Walter Simonson ( Ragnarok )
    BEST COLOR ARTIST: Phil Noto ( Black Widow )
    BEST LETTERER: John H. Hill ( Harley Quinn )
    BREAKTHROUGH TALENT OF 2015: Jason Fabok ( Justice League Darkseid War )