Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Captain America: Civil War (SPOILERS-- Seen it? Discuss it here)

Comments

• Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Matt said:

Look, @Adam_Murdough will always be my longest, closest friend, who I see as a brother...but I have ZERO attraction to the guy. No offense to Adam, it's just how I feel.

M

Jeez, way to ruin everyone's favourite CGS-ship!

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    It's still a bro-mance for the ages.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Matt said:

Look, @Adam_Murdough will always be my longest, closest friend, who I see as a brother...but I have ZERO attraction to the guy. No offense to Adam, it's just how I feel.
    M

So...there's hope for the rest of us, then? :) (It's those damn sideburns...)

The Captain America series retains its crown as the best superhero movie series of any of them. Watched pretty much the entire movie with an ear to ear grin on my face.

Random Thoughts:
    - Get me a Spider-Man movie with this kid and get it to me quick! And no origin story...we all know it by this point. Tomei...hurr hurr hurr...should I be having those kind of thoughts about Aunt May?
    - Gi/Ant-Man owned the fight scene. "Never trust a Stark."/"Who are you?"/"C'mon, man!" Plus we finally got to see Hawkeye shoot an Ant-Man arrow!
    - They're really amping up Scarlet Witch to be the type of hero to go toe to toe with a certain Mad Titan, methinks...
    - C'mon Robert...do one more Iron Man movie like you've been hinting at doing.
    - The Falcon needs his own movie. I know he was always designed to play off Cap in the funnybooks, but he was easily my favorite character in this movie. The suit was awesome!

Bring on the Suicide Squad!

• Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Torchsong said:

- Get me a Spider-Man movie with this kid and get it to me quick! And no origin story...we all know it by this point. Tomei...hurr hurr hurr...should I be having those kind of thoughts about Aunt May?

Tom Holland is signed to a 6 picture deal. I believe Homecoming started principle photography this past weekend. There are no plans to rehash the origin. Rumour has it that Robert Downey makes an appearance in the flick.

Tomei... Not that I don't like her (how couldn't you?), but I prefer my Aunt May OLD. and especially not HOT. Frail old aunt May (as in constantly teetering on the verge of death) was integral to Spidey's character in those early stories. Pete had a great relationship with his Aunt and normally would share everything with her. He couldn't tell her he was Spider-Man because May was deathly afraid of him (thanks JJJ) and Peter was afraid the shock would be the end of her. Having Aunt May as young (and HOT), completely changes that dynamic.
  • Options
    They've been progressively de-aging Aunt May in both the comics and the movies, so I suppose Tomei isn't a bad choice given that aspect of it. I'm with you, though. I like my wheatcake-making old spinster version of Aunt May the most.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Just saw the movie. Loved it.

Liked how they brought things into it that I thought were just going to be forever forgotten about (ex: Black Widow dumping info and showing up the gov't)

It still felt like a Captain America movie even with all the characters. The handeling of this bulids confidence that the later Avenger films will be able to juggle the probably even larger casts.

I do have a couple of questions:

If Hydra had or knew about having a set of Winter Soldiers 2.0, why didn't Robert Redford unleash the fury in Winter Soldier? Was it because 2.0 was possibly uncontrollable?

How did Tony figure out Peter was Spidey?

Does anyone think that Zemo was another underwhelming and convenient villian? Basically, a military squad leader from a minor impoverished nation got top hydra secrets, developed a mutilayered plan with apparently no support or financial backing - all done within a fairly short period of time.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

If Hydra had or knew about having a set of Winter Soldiers 2.0,

When it comes to Hydra, in the comics, a lot of the time the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing. I'm guessing Redford didn't know everything Hydra had ever done. The squad up in Siberia might have been a project he knew nothing about.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Just saw the movie. Loved it.

Liked how they brought things into it that I thought were just going to be forever forgotten about (ex: Black Widow dumping info and showing up the gov't)

It still felt like a Captain America movie even with all the characters. The handeling of this bulids confidence that the later Avenger films will be able to juggle the probably even larger casts.

I do have a couple of questions:

If Hydra had or knew about having a set of Winter Soldiers 2.0, why didn't Robert Redford unleash the fury in Winter Soldier? Was it because 2.0 was possibly uncontrollable?

How did Tony figure out Peter was Spidey?

Does anyone think that Zemo was another underwhelming and convenient villian? Basically, a military squad leader from a minor impoverished nation got top hydra secrets, developed a mutilayered plan with apparently no support or financial backing - all done within a fairly short period of time.

I was under the impression the Winter Soliders 2.0 were uncontrollable, hence the abandoned base.

I didn't feel an explanation was necessary. I can't find a reason once he becomes aware of a superpowered being, he doesn't use his tech to find out the identity. In a week's time, law enforcement was able to get the identities of the Boston Marathon bombing. Stark has better tech.

I wanted more Zemo, especially with a pink mask. His motives were simple: revenge. It's been at least a year since his family was killed, plus he has high level training. I don't think it's a stretch for his plans. We also don't know how his finances are. With Vanko, we knew he was penniless. We didn't get a scope of Zemo's resources

M
  • Options
    He is a Zemo. He has patience.

I actually wanted more development on Zemo as well. I'm glad they didn't kill him off, as it'd be fun to see him return anytime the Avengers reform. I particularly liked Panther's line with him. "The living are not done with you yet."

Besides...how we gonna get a Thunderbolts movie if we don't have Zemo around? :)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Honestly... I enjoyed Zemo. He wasn't the comics version, but I'm fine with that.

And ... There's still a chance for the Thunderbolts since he's still alive. Justice... Like lightning!
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    Spidey: They're not stopping!
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I couldn't help but laugh during the funeral scene. As soon as it dawns on Steve that Sharon is related to Peggy all I could hear was, "Oh Peggy, give it to me Peggy!" Thanks for that Drunk Cap.

Me too!!! :)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Just random thoughts...

Unlike the comics civil war, in the movies it seems that the accords made no mention of revealing secret identities. Spidey and Daredevil are the only ones that we have seen in the movies or on tv that are not public with their identities (I think)

Howard Stark is extremely wealthy and cofounder and still a major player in SHIELD (based on the Antman flashback and what he was carrying in the trunk of his car in Civil War) and he still drives his own car with no security. Maybe he just got careless because he was going on vacation and was in a rush.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508

Howard Stark is extremely wealthy and cofounder and still a major player in SHIELD (based on the Antman flashback and what he was carrying in the trunk of his car in Civil War) and he still drives his own car with no security. Maybe he just got careless because he was going on vacation and was in a rush.

Well, probably back in "those days" folks just assumed bad people weren't out to gun other people down. Just look at the Kennedy's, MLK, George Wallace, etc. And they had security, but not the way VIPs have security today. Even though it said 1991, that scene (and the one with young Tony) had more of a 50's-60's feel to it to me. Still...yeah, you make a good point. I do like your idea of "maybe he was in a rush." Or how about maybe Bucky got rid of the security earlier on and we only saw the end of the job?

Other random thoughts:
    Zemo - hmm, yeah, we could STILL get the pink mask...and the Thunderbolts!

Younger Aunt May - yep, she's getting younger and I think she was pretty young in the Ultimate universe too. And hey, since it's Marisa Tomei, I can deal with it.

Poor Sam: He basically had a a bad few days in the movie - Widow doesn't wanna call his toy Redwing, he chases two bad guys and neither has the vial, tries to strike up a conversation with the Panther with "So, you like cats?" but Cap tells him to lay off, gets his suit confiscated and on the inventory they write "bird suit," Bucky tells him to move his seat up, gets beat up a bit by Spidey but eventually uses Redwing to get the upper hand and Bucky says "You couldn't have done that earlier?," gets zapped by Tony after apologizing for what happened to Rhodey, and finally gets locked up in the Raft.

Speaking of Sam and his "Does everybody have a theme now?" comment, we could soon have the Bug Squad with Ant-Man, Black Widow, Spidey, and the Wasp.

It's interesting that Cap's team now closely resembles the Kooky Quartet Avengers he had with Hawkeye and the Scarlet Witch (after Iron Man and Thor left in the comics). I still really wish they hadn't killed off Quicksilver, but I guess Ant-Man and the Falcon are decent replacements.

• Options
    I do not think Marvel will go very far in this direction but Tony should grow increasingly on edge over the next couple of years.

He is already portrayed as a compulsive egotist. He is on a "timeout" with his girlfriend. His best friend was crippled. Cap beat him and his technology. The person who murdered his parents is out there somewhere. He probably will not see Cap in person for a year or two in movie time, leaving him to stew.

Until the next Avengers movie, he will either:
    1. Not know at all where Cap and Bucky are.
    2. Know they are in Wakanda and not be able to do anything about it
    3. Get reports of Cap working somewhere and the UN tells him to stay out of it.
  • Options
    Demon in a Bottle needs to be next for Tony, but I don't know of RDJr wants to do an addiction storyline, giving his own history.

Also...this got a chuckle out of me...saw a post where someone asked why Zemo didn't just email Tony the video and save himself a lot of trouble. :)
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

Just random thoughts...

Unlike the comics civil war, in the movies it seems that the accords made no mention of revealing secret identities. Spidey and Daredevil are the only ones that we have seen in the movies or on tv that are not public with their identities (I think)

That was my problem with the movie, there was really no reason for Cap to oppose the accords. All the UN was looking to do was try and minimize the collateral damage, unlike the comics where you could argue that you were taking away personal liberty by forcing any individual with powers to register and be employed by the Federal Government.
  • Options

Just random thoughts...

That was my problem with the movie, there was really no reason for Cap to oppose the accords. All the UN was looking to do was try and minimize the collateral damage, unlike the comics where you could argue that you were taking away personal liberty by forcing any individual with powers to register and be employed by the Federal Government.
    I disagree. His opposition was based on being governing by people with agendas. As Cap stated, what happens if they're told to go someplace they shouldn't or not go where they should. The Avengers would no longer be a private organization.

Plus, after HYDRA was revealed to have been embedded in SHIELD, whose to say the same isn't the case with the Accords?

I'm curious if Parker had to sign the Accords when he joined Team Iron Man.

M
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Saw it opening night and loved it. Despite Zemo's convoluted plan, it's easily in my top 3 superhero movies of all-time (with Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy). I think it's #1, but would like to see it again before moving it into sole possession of 1st place.

I laughed a lot more than I thought I would. A lot of good one-liners and comic relief, with Spider-Man totally stealing the show in that regard. Anyone else think he reminded them of a young Ralph Macchio?

I loved that the Russo Brothers hearkened back to their roots by including Dean Pelton and the Bluth family mobile frozen banana stand in the airport scene. Speaking of the airport, I laughed out loud how Ant-Man, er, Giant Man, ripped the wing off a plane to use as a weapon, in the face of world pressure about how over the top they are with their level of destruction.

Black Panther was great. I loved that they gave almost zero backstory on the character. The viewer just knows there are other super-powered heroes in the world. The costume was dead on too, btw.

I wonder if Tony Stark's "memory technology" thingy he was showing the MIT kids will come into play later on, perhaps in helping the Winter Soldier exorcise his psychological demons?

Found it curious that at the end, Zemo was in one of those little mobile prison cubes, despite not having any superpowers. Any guesses as to why he was so cocky at that point? Does he know the "Masters of Evil" are about to enter the world stage?
  • Options

Saw it opening night and loved it. Despite Zemo's convoluted plan, it's easily in my top 3 superhero movies of all-time (with Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy). I think it's #1, but would like to see it again before moving it into sole possession of 1st place.

I laughed a lot more than I thought I would. A lot of good one-liners and comic relief, with Spider-Man totally stealing the show in that regard. Anyone else think he reminded them of a young Ralph Macchio?

I loved that the Russo Brothers hearkened back to their roots by including Dean Pelton and the Bluth family mobile frozen banana stand in the airport scene. Speaking of the airport, I laughed out loud how Ant-Man, er, Giant Man, ripped the wing off a plane to use as a weapon, in the face of world pressure about how over the top they are with their level of destruction.

Black Panther was great. I loved that they gave almost zero backstory on the character. The viewer just knows there are other super-powered heroes in the world. The costume was dead on too, btw.

I wonder if Tony Stark's "memory technology" thingy he was showing the MIT kids will come into play later on, perhaps in helping the Winter Soldier exorcise his psychological demons?

Found it curious that at the end, Zemo was in one of those little mobile prison cubes, despite not having any superpowers. Any guesses as to why he was so cocky at that point? Does he know the "Masters of Evil" are about to enter the world stage?

What I liked about Zemo was his scheme was revenge, not world domination or destruction. He felt like a Bond villain. Convoluted? I guess. He wanted revenge & found a way that worked to his strength & capabilities. He admits that he couldn't have fought them directly.

To some extent, he was like the Yoko Factor.

No idea why he wound up in that cube instead of the Raft. He has proven to be very dangerous. I would say his smirk was based on the notion he succeeded. The Avengers are split & to some extent, humiliated.

They're now also govern by the Accords. There no indication he's working alone. Zemo mentions the information dumped by Romanov was coded. Someone with patience & skill could decode it...any chance Zemo discovered more of HYDRA's grand plans or key placements...like the UN?

M
  • Options
    I may be mis-remembering, but at the end during the exchange between Zemo and Ross, didn't Zemo say something, or imply, that his plan was just beginning?
  • Options

I may be mis-remembering, but at the end during the exchange between Zemo and Ross, didn't Zemo say something, or imply, that his plan was just beginning?

I believe Ross was taunting him about all the plans & it failed. Zemo merely replied "did it?"

M
  • Options
    Ha, okay. That may have been it.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    I would have liked to have known more about Zemo but the more I think about it, it really does not matter. Zemo was one of the "MacGuffins" of the film (along with the Accords). He moved the plot along but you did not need to know a lot about him because he was not the real villian. The conflict between Tony and Cap was the villian. Zemo was just the support team for the real villian.

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Why even name him Zemo? How was this guy even remotely close to the character? He could have been Bob the Bad Guy.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Why even name him Zemo? How was this guy even remotely close to the character? He could have been Bob the Bad Guy.

After the collapse of the housing market, Bob the Builder found himself out of work, eventually resorting to a life of crime as Bob the Bad Guy. His new catchphrase: “Can we steal it?”
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

If you reduce both characters to their core, how different is comic book Zemo from MCU Zemo?

I don't know much about Zemo, but would the MCU version not have the ability to become more in line with the source material in future movies?

M
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

If you reduce both characters to their core, how different is comic book Zemo from MCU Zemo?

I don't know much about Zemo, but would the MCU version not have the ability to become more in line with the source material in future movies?

M
    Nope. Comic book Zemo is a legacy villain. Son of the WW2 Baron Zemo, he originally felt he was superior just due to being a Zemo, then later, after time travelling and discovering just how wretched his ancestors were, just felt he was superior because he was the best Baron Zemo.

Comic Zemo would not have tried to commit suicide after beating Cap & Iron Man. He'd have tried to replace them.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Brack said:

Matt said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

M
    Nope. Comic book Zemo is a legacy villain. Son of the WW2 Baron Zemo, he originally felt he was superior just due to being a Zemo, then later, after time travelling and discovering just how wretched his ancestors were, just felt he was superior because he was the best Baron Zemo.

Comic Zemo would not have tried to commit suicide after beating Cap & Iron Man. He'd have tried to replace them.

Which he successfully did when the heroes were lost, thanks to Onslaught!
  • Options
    Two weekends in, Civil War tops $900 million & the MCU hits $10 billion. Complain about the repetitive formula, but it would seem like it's a reciepe for success.

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/686605-captain-america-flies-to-940-million-the-marvel-cinematic-universe-to-10-billion

M