Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Captain America: Civil War (SPOILERS-- Seen it? Discuss it here)

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Spider-Man has more lines in Civil War than Superman did in BvS

The author of this article brought up that interesting nugget as they explain how CA:CW perfectly demonstrates why BvS:DoJ failed.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    Spider-Man traditionally is a character that talks a lot when fighting.
  • Options
    Did you read the article?
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    The article makes very good points. Not completely a revelation of sorts but it's a good article that explains things pretty nicely.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927

Did you read the article?

Not fully yet. I found the part that you referenced. Then read the context immediately around it, not really any, it was in parenthesis.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    jaydee74 said:

The article makes very good points. Not completely a revelation of sorts but it's a good article that explains things pretty nicely.

I expected revelations. This is your fault, @bralinator.
  • Options
    I confess, my strength is hype and marketing, not revelatory content :)

Mea culpa
  • Options
    This article makes a VERY compelling case why the Captain America trilogy slightly bests the Batman trilogy by Nolen. Very good read:

collider.com/captain-america-the-dark-knight-trilogy
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    Civil War the top grossing film of 2016 thus far and poised to go over the $1 Billion dollar mark:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/374603-captain-america-civil-war-is-now-the-top-grossing-movie-of-2016#/slide/1
    Captain America: Civil War added $3.9 million domestically and $6.1 million internationally on Wednesday for a global total of $10 million for the day. The Anthony and Joe Russo-directed Marvel Studios release has earned $310.5 million in North America and $671.4 million overseas for a worldwide total of $981.9 million. The film has surpassed Disney’s own Zootopia ($974.2 million) to become the top grossing movie of 2016 so far.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    Finally saw it. It wasn't as tight as winter soldier, but I thought the conflict was really well executed, and it had a really solid conclusion, probably the strongest of the Marvel movies to date. Very entertaining, and the airport scene was just incredible
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Finally saw it myself as well yesterday.
    I'm honestly not completely sure what I think? I liked it. I enjoyed it. I thought it was good. But... something was off about it for me and can't put my finger on it. I don't know if I would rank bit as high as either avengers or cap movies movie? I'm thinking pretty strongly it sure won't be as rewatchable as them.
    Honestly the airport scene was fantastic. it made the movie. Without it, what would we really have? Would the movie have been very good? I'm thinking not really. Not by comparison. And although the cap/Bucky vs tony fight was great, I agree with the reviewer/comment who said the airport scene was so great that the cap vs tony "climax" was actually anticlimactic.
    Loved spiderman. Loved ant man. Both stole the show. Total home run. Really dig Panther too. The actor was great. Although the cgi for panther really stood out as such unlike the rest.
    Everyone gave excellent and improved performances thus time out too imo. Even if they're characters motivations logic and thinking are all over the place and not consistent or convincing. Cap being the exception.
    Biggest complaint was Zemo. Him, his motivation, his plan... Everything. Really disappointing and unoriginal catalyst for such a big premise.
    Stark is an ahole. No ignoring or denying it after this movie.
    Movie was too long. The first 30 min kindve dragged for me and could've been cut down. The constant location notifications were too numerous and distracting too. Really surprised nobody died other than crossbones.
    Not sold on the new aunt may?
    Did gen Ross say "the Thor and Hulk"?
    So everyone besides Stark Rhodes and vision are fugitives now right?
    great seeing Steve kiss Sharon but can't buy he didn't know of her relation to Peggy till the funeral. I need to see it again.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I read & watched an interview where the Russo Brothers stated if someone died it'd be too much of a conclusion ending tension. They felt the way it ended would be more beneficial.

Plus, in my opinion, having a character die would've felt cliche. Does it have to happen in each movie? How often have we seen in in comic book events & just roll our eyes?

I'm wondering if Parker had to sign? If so, does that mean the Accords now know his identity?

I've read the "how did Steve not know about Sharon" issue before. I'll have to rewatch Winter Soldier (no armtwisting), but I'm certain her last name was never given to Steve. I think we only knew Agent 13 & possibly Sharon. So, although we knew who she was, I don't recall any exposition to Steve about it before the funeral.

M
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Matt said:

I've read the "how did Steve not know about Sharon" issue before. I'll have to rewatch Winter Soldier (no armtwisting), but I'm certain her last name was never given to Steve. I think we only knew Agent 13 & possibly Sharon. So, although we knew who she was, I don't recall any exposition to Steve about it before the funeral.
    M

Well black widow and fury knew of her before winter soldier (and there's no way they didn't know her heritage). I would think Stark wouldve likely known too. Sharon and Steve sure seemed to have become friends post winter soldier (in fact it seemed implied she was who notified cap of Peggy's death. And in a rather familiar / casual manner). And we know Steve visited Peggy before and during winter soldier. I think we can assume be continued to After. At least once (and despite her diminished capacity) surely Sharon or Peggy would've mentioned their relation? No reason to keep it secret. I get Sharon not telling Peggy she was "spying" on Steve but after? And how could she have ensured Peggy wouldn't bring it up? It even seems a stretch there wouldn't be a picture of Sharon in Peggy's retirement room etc. Regardless, in all his conversations with them and who knows how many other people in and around shield and around Peggy over all that time it was never revealed? dudnt ruin the movie for me but kindve bugged me personally. It should've just been revealed by the end of winter soldier. Maybe it was just an oversight by the writers of that movie? Or maybe they didn't intend to go down that road initially? I don't know. Small nitpick compared to my disappointment with Zemo and his overall plot / setup of the "war".
  • Options
    batlaw said:

Matt said:

M

Well black widow and fury knew of her before winter soldier (and there's no way they didn't know her heritage). I would think Stark wouldve likely known too. Sharon and Steve sure seemed to have become friends post winter soldier (in fact it seemed implied she was who notified cap of Peggy's death. And in a rather familiar / casual manner). And we know Steve visited Peggy before and during winter soldier. I think we can assume be continued to After. At least once (and despite her diminished capacity) surely Sharon or Peggy would've mentioned their relation? No reason to keep it secret. I get Sharon not telling Peggy she was "spying" on Steve but after? And how could she have ensured Peggy wouldn't bring it up? It even seems a stretch there wouldn't be a picture of Sharon in Peggy's retirement room etc. Regardless, in all his conversations with them and who knows how many other people in and around shield and around Peggy over all that time it was never revealed? dudnt ruin the movie for me but kindve bugged me personally. It should've just been revealed by the end of winter soldier. Maybe it was just an oversight by the writers of that movie? Or maybe they didn't intend to go down that road initially? I don't know. Small nitpick compared to my disappointment with Zemo and his overall plot / setup of the "war".
    I don't doubt Widow & Fury probably knew. I'm not sure how you conclude Stark probably knew as there was no indication Tony & Sharon even met each other.

Where was the implication Sharon notified him of Peggy's death? Why not have her name assigned to the number that text him? Where was the implication they were close friends? The interaction after the funeral didn't seem to imply the two were communicating.

Sharon mentioned why she didn't tell anyone her relation, so that rules that possibility. Peggy was suffering from dimensia, there's a good chance she never mentioned it. Having a photo is a good possibility...but my grandmother's pictures of my single, same Sharon age sister aren't current. In fact, if it wasn't for my wife wanting family pictures to disperse, my grandmother would still be displaying a photo of my from high school & that's nearly 20 years ago.

Since Sharon stated in the eulogy that she didn't tell anyone their relationship, it would seem very, very few (like probably just Fury) knew.

M
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited May 2016
    I
    batlaw said:

Matt said:

M

There are a lot of assumptions in this that have no basis in the movie. My wife has no knowledge of Cap outside of the movies and she had no idea that they were related. And I didn't get the impression they were close friends or had even spoken to each other after Winter Soldier. It seemed more like two old acquaintances getting to know each other better after discovering a surprise connections. And I think all of that would have been fine if they hadn't tried to shoehorn in a romance between the two, which is where I think believability is stretched. Actually I think, as much as Sharon is a part of Cap lore in the comics, the movies would have been better served removing her entirely. She adds nothing other than running time, and a minor plothole (Peggy's only brother died in WWII, seemingly before having a family. How are they related? She should have been her granddaughter, using her last name as a tribute but that would require acknowledging the TV universe, which the MCU apparently isn't interested in doing, even here. Side note: Alfre Woodard is playing two different characters in the MCU this year, with her cameo in Civil War and a major role on Luke Cage. Do the movies even care about the TV side of things or should we just start viewing them separate).
  • Options

I

batlaw said:

Matt said:

M

There are a lot of assumptions in this that have no basis in the movie. My wife has no knowledge of Cap outside of the movies and she had no idea that they were related. And I didn't get the impression they were close friends or had even spoken to each other after Winter Soldier. It seemed more like two old acquaintances getting to know each other better after discovering a surprise connections. And I think all of that would have been fine if they hadn't tried to shoehorn in a romance between the two, which is where I think believability is stretched. Actually I think, as much as Sharon is a part of Cap lore in the comics, the movies would have been better served removing her entirely. She adds nothing other than running time, and a minor plothole (Peggy's only brother died in WWII, seemingly before having a family. How are they related? She should have been her granddaughter, using her last name as a tribute but that would require acknowledging the TV universe, which the MCU apparently isn't interested in doing, even here. Side note: Alfre Woodard is playing two different characters in the MCU this year, with her cameo in Civil War and a major role on Luke Cage. Do the movies even care about the TV side of things or should we just start viewing them separate).
    I can answer the 2nd question: they weren't aware Woodard was cast in Luke Cage. RDJ recommended her & her scene shot...then it was revealed she had a role in Luke Cage.

I can tell you that the zero matter from AC plays into Doc Strange. They'll be some connection.

M
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729

Just random thoughts...

Unlike the comics civil war, in the movies it seems that the accords made no mention of revealing secret identities. Spidey and Daredevil are the only ones that we have seen in the movies or on tv that are not public with their identities (I think)

Howard Stark is extremely wealthy and cofounder and still a major player in SHIELD (based on the Antman flashback and what he was carrying in the trunk of his car in Civil War) and he still drives his own car with no security. Maybe he just got careless because he was going on vacation and was in a rush.

[SPOILERS FOR AGENTS OF SHIELD SEASON THREE]

THIS.

This is going to be KEY in how the next few films (well, specifically the SOLO films) play out.

Based on Civil War and the way the portray it in the movie, the Accords are meant to provide direction to the Avengers. Where they should go and when so that the "world" is behind them entering a volatile situation and "limiting" the collateral damage. I've seen this movie a few times now. That's ALL they say the accords are.

HOWEVER, in Agents of SHIELD, the episode after the release of the movie sees General Talbot coming to the "secret" SHIELD base to check in on the super powered Inhumans that Director Coulson has on site. He uses the Accords as his reason for doing this, even going so far as to say that the president himself is asking him to do so, again using the Accords as his reasoning.

But if the Accords are JUST about the Avengers, then why is Talbot looking into the Inhumans?

It's not like the producers/scriptwriters/etc on Agents of SHIELD were left in the dark about Civil War and told to draw their own conclusions. We've seen before with Thor: The Dark World & Captain America: Winter Soldier that the movie team works closely with the TV team so they tie in seamlessly when necessary.

So, all of that being said, are the Accords about MORE than just the Avengers? MORE than just what was explicitly stated in the Civil War film?

Because IF they are, will they play MORE of a role than we think in Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Spiderman, Captain Marvel, etc.? Can we not only expect the title characters of solo films to go up against their titular bad guys, but have run in's with local law enforcement under the guise of the Accords as well? For "practicing superpowers without a license" or whatever the hell they'd call it?

GREAT movie, no doubt. But there's alot left unclear when it comes to the Accords specifically. And when Ross slaps it down on the table, it's a HEFTY piece of legislation. Gotta wonder if it was JUST about the Avengers, the wording would make it a smaller document....right?

Just a food for thought exercise.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    edited May 2016

Just random thoughts...

Unlike the comics civil war, in the movies it seems that the accords made no mention of revealing secret identities. Spidey and Daredevil are the only ones that we have seen in the movies or on tv that are not public with their identities (I think)

Howard Stark is extremely wealthy and cofounder and still a major player in SHIELD (based on the Antman flashback and what he was carrying in the trunk of his car in Civil War) and he still drives his own car with no security. Maybe he just got careless because he was going on vacation and was in a rush.

[SPOILERS FOR AGENTS OF SHIELD SEASON THREE]

THIS.

This is going to be KEY in how the next few films (well, specifically the SOLO films) play out.

Based on Civil War and the way the portray it in the movie, the Accords are meant to provide direction to the Avengers. Where they should go and when so that the "world" is behind them entering a volatile situation and "limiting" the collateral damage. I've seen this movie a few times now. That's ALL they say the accords are.

HOWEVER, in Agents of SHIELD, the episode after the release of the movie sees General Talbot coming to the "secret" SHIELD base to check in on the super powered Inhumans that Director Coulson has on site. He uses the Accords as his reason for doing this, even going so far as to say that the president himself is asking him to do so, again using the Accords as his reasoning.

But if the Accords are JUST about the Avengers, then why is Talbot looking into the Inhumans?

It's not like the producers/scriptwriters/etc on Agents of SHIELD were left in the dark about Civil War and told to draw their own conclusions. We've seen before with Thor: The Dark World & Captain America: Winter Soldier that the movie team works closely with the TV team so they tie in seamlessly when necessary.

So, all of that being said, are the Accords about MORE than just the Avengers? MORE than just what was explicitly stated in the Civil War film?

Because IF they are, will they play MORE of a role than we think in Black Panther, Doctor Strange, Spiderman, Captain Marvel, etc.? Can we not only expect the title characters of solo films to go up against their titular bad guys, but have run in's with local law enforcement under the guise of the Accords as well? For "practicing superpowers without a license" or whatever the hell they'd call it?

GREAT movie, no doubt. But there's alot left unclear when it comes to the Accords specifically. And when Ross slaps it down on the table, it's a HEFTY piece of legislation. Gotta wonder if it was JUST about the Avengers, the wording would make it a smaller document....right?

Just a food for thought exercise.
    At this point anything that happens in the TV shows has no bearing on the movies. Continuity is a one-way street. The Accords were a MacGuffin to get us to Steve having to chose between Bucky and Tony.
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    What I loved about this movie:

The action, the characterizations, the special fx, the foley work, the quiet dignity and overall portrayal of Captain America. I thought the casting of Spider-Man was spot on. I liked the chemistry between Scarlet Witch and Vision. I really liked the comradery between Falcon and Cap. And Ant Man and Spidey brought some much needed levity at just the right time - really spot-on characterizations and comedy tone. I thought the directors deftly handled many, many characters at once very well. I liked the slow buildup to the conflicts which gave them more impact and pay-off. I also liked that the Russo brothers brought back the Marvel tradition of a mid-credits scene AND a post-credits scene. Loved the Spidey signal.

What I didn't like about this movie:

I thought Black Widow was underutilized. The conflict was a bit forced. Not just Tony's response to the death of that woman's son, but do we want unregulated world police? No. Do we want them regulated by the UN, which is filled with despots and self-serving dictators? No. And as much as I loved seeing Spidey in the MCU, the meet-up scene seemed forced. I also think the movie was a bit too long - the first action scene with Crossbones was way longer than it needed to be. I was also disappointed that T'Challa's father was taken out so soon. I also feel like Winter Soldier should have been killed off. Also disappointed there wasn't a call-back to Quicksilver. Maybe just Wanda mentioning how she still has nightmares about him dying or that she misses him. Speaking of Wanda, her accent really came and went.

Most of those are nit-picks. Bottom line is, that I loved it. My new Marvel MCU countdown is as follows:

1) Iron Man 1
    2) Winter Soldier
    3) The Avengers
    4) Civil War
    5) Guardians of the Galaxy
    6) Ant-Man
    7) First Avenger
    8) Thor
    9) Age of Ultron
    10) The Incredible Hulk
    11) Iron Man 3
    12) Dark World
    13) Iron Man 2

I was grinning like a little boy SEVERAL times throughout this movie. In the Russo brothers' hands, I'm confident that the MCU is on track to continue their winning streak. I'm a bit worried that Peter Parker is getting started on an odd footing though. With his reputation for being a struggling teen, suddenly he gets a visit from Tony Stark and now he has new gadgets, a new suit, he was on potentially the wrong side of this conflict, he has to explain to aunt May about why an Avenger visited his Queens home, etc. Curious to see how that gets worked out, if at all.
  • Options
    There was a nod to Quicksilver. Barton mentioned a debt he owes (referencing Wanda.)

What would Barnes' death have done? Well, besides end any further usage from that character.

M
  • Options
    I missed the subtle Quicksilver nod.

As for the death of Winter Solider, I think these movies could use some real pathos. No one watching that airport scene felt like anyone was going to be injured or killed. So it’s hard for a story to achieve pathos when the main characters never have to deal with real tragedy. Maybe Rhodey being injured and Peggy slipping the surly bonds of earth was enough, but I think it needed a little more consequence, and a little less reliance on inertia. Bucky's arm being blown off was a pretty awesome moment.

Having said that, I believe this film had heft and weight and felt a lot like Marvel's "Empire Strikes Back" - and not because a main character discovers the truth about his parents, and another loses an arm and gets frozen.
  • Options

I missed the subtle Quicksilver nod.

As for the death of Winter Solider, I think these movies could use some real pathos. No one watching that airport scene felt like anyone was going to be injured or killed. So it’s hard for a story to achieve pathos when the main characters never have to deal with real tragedy. Maybe Rhodey being injured and Peggy slipping the surly bonds of earth was enough, but I think it needed a little more consequence, and a little less reliance on inertia. Bucky's arm being blown off was a pretty awesome moment.

Having said that, I believe this film had heft and weight and felt a lot like Marvel's "Empire Strikes Back" - and not because a main character discovers the truth about his parents, and another loses an arm and gets frozen.

I've seen that complaint before & disagree. If it were bad guys vs. good guys, okay put the cliche in there & have a death. This was (as Chris Evans put it) family fighting. Aside from T'Challa, no one was going for a kill. In fact there were moments when they were noted to have been avoiding it (Rhodey's sword, Lang thinking he shrunk a water truck, etc.)

I think a death would've greatly altered what happened. Imagine if Rhodey was crippled near the beginning of the fight? Would they have continued? Would they stop & team up? Would it become a full blown war with intent to kill?

I also think no one is really going to these & expecting a main character to die. It's like a Bond movie. If someone does die, at this point don't we just presume they will occur? Especially when we know who's returning for the next movie.

M

• Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    I'm going to guess you're gonna get A LOT of deaths once Thanos is on the scene, so why pre-empt that?
  • Options
    Hmm. I think I see your point.
    I guess the other nitpicks were low-hanging fruit?

I thought Black Widow was underutilized. The conflict was a bit forced. Not just Tony's response to the death of that woman's son, but do we want unregulated world police? No. Do we want them regulated by the UN, which is filled with despots and self-serving dictators? No. And as much as I loved seeing Spidey in the MCU, the meet-up scene seemed forced. I also think the movie was a bit too long - the first action scene with Crossbones was way longer than it needed to be. I was also disappointed that T'Challa's father was taken out so soon. I also feel like Winter Soldier should have been killed off. Also disappointed there wasn't a call-back to Quicksilver. Maybe just Wanda mentioning how she still has nightmares about him dying or that she misses him. Speaking of Wanda, her accent really came and went. ...

...I'm a bit worried that Peter Parker is getting started on an odd footing though. With his reputation for being a struggling teen, suddenly he gets a visit from Tony Stark and now he has new gadgets, a new suit, he was on potentially the wrong side of this conflict, he has to explain to aunt May about why an Avenger visited his Queens home, etc. Curious to see how that gets worked out, if at all.

I'm enjoying the nuanced discussion.

• Options

Hmm. I think I see your point.
    I guess the other nitpicks were low-hanging fruit?

I thought Black Widow was underutilized. The conflict was a bit forced. Not just Tony's response to the death of that woman's son, but do we want unregulated world police? No. Do we want them regulated by the UN, which is filled with despots and self-serving dictators? No. And as much as I loved seeing Spidey in the MCU, the meet-up scene seemed forced. I also think the movie was a bit too long - the first action scene with Crossbones was way longer than it needed to be. I was also disappointed that T'Challa's father was taken out so soon. I also feel like Winter Soldier should have been killed off. Also disappointed there wasn't a call-back to Quicksilver. Maybe just Wanda mentioning how she still has nightmares about him dying or that she misses him. Speaking of Wanda, her accent really came and went. ...

...I'm a bit worried that Peter Parker is getting started on an odd footing though. With his reputation for being a struggling teen, suddenly he gets a visit from Tony Stark and now he has new gadgets, a new suit, he was on potentially the wrong side of this conflict, he has to explain to aunt May about why an Avenger visited his Queens home, etc. Curious to see how that gets worked out, if at all.

I'm enjoying the nuanced discussion.

Okay.

I agree we needed more Black Widow.

I didn't feel the conflict was forced because it's been coming to a head (between Stark & Steve). It wasn't just Mariah Dillard. Stark has been wearing guilt about his choices since Iron Man. This could, arguably, be the first direct time he sees what his new attempt to relieve the guilt had (i.e. Being Iron Man). Plus, he recently lost Potts because of being IM). Stark explained (just like in the source material) if they don't do it now, they'll be forced later.
    Plus, it he was hoping it'd be an olive branch/compromise with Potts.

I was happy with the length. I thought the Lago part was good. We got a mini-Avengers movie within the Cap movie. It illustrated how well (and different) the new line up works together.

I've no problem with the timeliness of the King's death. It would've only retarded T'Challa's arc.

Struggling teen who's (presumably) a science whiz. Remember that kid in IM3? Stark upgraded his gear. It's not out of the realm of possibility, in the spirit of the Stark Expo & money granted to the students of MIT, he'd be assisting a young science student.

I'm more concerned with whether or not the Accords know his secret identity. I would presume the members of Team Iron Man were all registered.

M

• Options
    Matt said:

Struggling teen who's (presumably) a science whiz. Remember that kid in IM3? Stark upgraded his gear. It's not out of the realm of possibility, in the spirit of the Stark Expo & money granted to the students of MIT, he'd be assisting a young science student.

I'm more concerned with whether or not the Accords know his secret identity. I would presume the members of Team Iron Man were all registered.

M
    I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, but I don't think it's in the spirit of the Peter Parker we've come to expect that he wouldn't continue to have some struggles. If Tony Stark is suddenly his benefactor, what will he worry about financially? Will he even need to get a job at the Daily Bugle? Will he worry about paying his and Aunt May's rent? With a science grant, will he need to worry about homework anymore? Just pondering these possibilities.

And I was not a fan of the kid sidekick from IM3.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    If I know Peter Parker the way I know Peter Parker, he'll find a way to be depressed no matter how much good stuff comes his way. :)
  • Options

Matt said:

M
    I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility, but I don't think it's in the spirit of the Peter Parker we've come to expect that he wouldn't continue to have some struggles. If Tony Stark is suddenly his benefactor, what will he worry about financially? Will he even need to get a job at the Daily Bugle? Will he worry about paying his and Aunt May's rent? With a science grant, will he need to worry about homework anymore? Just pondering these possibilities.

And I was not a fan of the kid sidekick from IM3.
    Perhaps it was the attention stance causing a tent in my pants, but Aunt May doesn't look like she's not working. I'm not certain Pete needs to worry about helping to pay rent.

M
  • Options
    You callin' Aunt May a "working girl", buster?!
  • Options

You callin' Aunt May a "working girl", buster?!

Nope. Just not at an advanced age she'd be retired or unable to work.