Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman: The Killing Joke | Animated Feature (spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

Now I shudder to think of how they will handle Starfire in next spring's 'The Judas Contract' DCU animated film.

Starfire?

What about Terra, she's the one in the more lascivious relationship?
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Think I will just skip this whole mess, go back and watch reruns of Young Justice on Netflix.
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343

Now I shudder to think of how they will handle Starfire in next spring's 'The Judas Contract' DCU animated film.

Are they going for an "R" rating? I hope not.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Don't think it could be much worse than the portrayal in the Nu52 Red Hood comic.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Starfire?

What about Terra, she's the one in the more lascivious relationship?
    And that relationship really needs to be in there...because in the funnybooks you kept thinking "Okay, mind control. She's been duped. She'll do a face-heel turn before it's done."

And then you read that particular page, and you realize she's been in on this all along, had some serious issues, and Wilson just took advantage of those issues. Pretty much at that point I knew she was going to die.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I wonder if it's the same / original production of judas contract they started years ago, or revamped?
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    edited July 2016
    Matt said:

It doesn't have Batman in it, so they'll cancel the film before next spring.
    I love how they shoehorned Batman into Justice League Dark just cuz.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I saw it. I'm not a huge fan of it to be honest. The first half of the movie was okay but not what I wanted to see that by the time it actually got to the actual "Killing Joke" story, I was just about ready to tap out. The actual Killing Joke portion was pretty good. The first half wasn't necessary. I sort of see it as documenting Batgirl's last adventure maybe. The sex scene reminded me a bit of the Batman and Catwoman type characters from Frank Miller's "Holy Terror" comic. It also reminds me of the end of the New 52 Catwoman comic as well. Overall, it's not terrible but really not what I had hoped for.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Tara Strong, Kevin Conroy, and the very talented Mark Hamill all do top notch voice work in this, which is the only redeeming thing about this project. Tonally, it's just 'off' and the first half 'filler' is handled all wrong. It does nothing for the character of Barbara Gordon. Isn't this her 50 year anniversary? This certainly doesn't feel like a celebration of the character. It's just a gloomy cliché. Aren't there several better stories in the comics that could have served as a prelude to this? The entire opening experience is just terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_r-qsxGiKY

And another controversy here that seems to be getting far less press is that the adaptation adapts the "deluxe edition" of the story instead of the original story. As many of you already know, Bolland re-colored the graphic novel, replacing the work of John Higgins. That's the palette this film uses to its disadvantage, imo.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    meh. The Killing Joke was never a celebration of the character. Getting your knickers in a twist because that is lacking is suggesting that film be something other than the OGN it purports to adapt.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

meh. The Killing Joke was never a celebration of the character. Getting your knickers in a twist because that is lacking is suggesting that film be something other than the OGN it purports to adapt.

You must have missed my point. It's the unfortunate timing of the film and the anniversary that's a disappointment, or is there another DC feature coming out in 2016 that features Batgirl on her 50th anniversary that I missed?
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

You must have missed my point. It's the unfortunate timing of the film and the anniversary that's a disappointment, or is there another DC feature coming out in 2016 that features Batgirl on her 50th anniversary that I missed?
    Don't know, don't care. Reread your first line of complaint. You don't take exception to the selection of the Killing Joke. Instead you take exception to it being tonally off and to the first 30 minutes of filler before connecting it to the 50th anniversary.

That could have been me missing your point which seemed to be focused on the Bats/Babs scene. I can certainly agree that it doesn't do anything for her character, but she hardly has agency in the original source material to begin with, hence my remark.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

she hardly has agency in the original source material to begin with, hence my remark.

I don't disagree there, which is sort of my point too. The anniversary is unfortunately coincidental.

• Options
    Batgirl appeared first in a January 1967 comic, so while it was on stands in 66, the official anniversary would be next year
  • Options
    DC is celebrating the anniversary this year
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Oh. Also, I wasn't impressed with the performances of the voice actors who did Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock. I thought they were kind of weak.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

Oh. Also, I wasn't impressed with the performances of the voice actors who did Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock. I thought they were kind of weak.

I sortve remember thinking something negative about bullocks voice/performance too. Gordon was fine but I remember there being a bad line delivery somewhere. Maybe it was the "...by the book" scene?
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I sortve remember thinking something negative about bullocks voice/performance too. Gordon was fine but I remember there being a bad line delivery somewhere. Maybe it was the "...by the book" scene?
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I guess I'm alone on this, I thought this was really good. I might even go as far as to say it's the best of the post-Timmverse movies. I can't think of a better one off the top of my head. That's not a glowing endorsement, most of the recent DCAU are one-watch movies. I would watch The Killing Joke again though.

I thought the sex angle was way overstated. It was 5 seconds, they get into a weird position while fighting and Batgirl takes or shirt off; that's it. Nothing more. It's very PG-13, which is fine for The Killing Joke. This isn't Teen Titans Go.

I thought the animation was fantastic and probably the best thing about the movie. It was Timmverse-esque but with rougher edges.

I thought the story was fine. Not great, but good enough. There is a slightly weird divide between the first and second half of the movies, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's two separate movies. They could have done a better job of connecting the two, by making the gang in the first half the same gang as in the second half and not killing off the big bad from the first.
  • Options
    mphil said:

I guess I'm alone on this, I thought this was really good. I might even go as far as to say it's the best of the post-Timmverse movies. I can't think of a better one off the top of my head. That's not a glowing endorsement, most of the recent DCAU are one-watch movies. I would watch The Killing Joke again though.

I thought the sex angle was way overstated. It was 5 seconds, they get into a weird position while fighting and Batgirl takes or shirt off; that's it. Nothing more. It's very PG-13, which is fine for The Killing Joke. This isn't Teen Titans Go.

I thought the animation was fantastic and probably the best thing about the movie. It was Timmverse-esque but with rougher edges.

I thought the story was fine. Not great, but good enough. There is a slightly weird divide between the first and second half of the movies, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's two separate movies. They could have done a better job of connecting the two, by making the gang in the first half the same gang as in the second half and not killing off the big bad from the first.

No you're not alone. I give it a thumbs up. I don't personally think it's the best post timm animated DC project, but it's certainly not at the bottom of any list I'd make.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    What do you think is the best post timmverse?
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    mphil said:

Batman: Under The Red Hood. Followed closely by Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 and 2.
  • Options
    Hands down for me... New Frontier. It's a virtual masterpiece.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

mphil said:

Batman: Under The Red Hood. Followed closely by Dark Knight Returns Parts 1 and 2.
    I couldn't agree more. Aside from lacking my favorite soliloquy, I'd throw Year One in the mix too.

Did JLA: Doom follow those? Whichever of those 5 came out the most recent; that's the last DCAU that I watched. Based on what I've seen of The Killing Joker, looks like my streak is continuing.

I've been skipping the 52 based movies. I didn't care to read them, still didn't to watch them.

M
  • Options
    I liked red hood but think it's somewhat overrated. Liked both dkr and year one too (both good) but found them each a bit boring and have had no inclination to rewatch either.
    Apocalypse, son of batman, and Gotham knight are at the very bottom. Not counting the "batman unlimited", DC Lego projects, trapped in time or brainiac attacks, which I think fall into other categories. Although some of those are a delight in their own way.
  • Options
    I've got Batman: Bad Blood on BluRay but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. For some reason I am trying to watch the DC animated stuff in order of release. Probably not necessary, but I'm odd like that.
  • Options
    Matt said:

mphil said:

I couldn't agree more. Aside from lacking my favorite soliloquy, I'd throw Year One in the mix too.

Did JLA: Doom follow those? Whichever of those 5 came out the most recent; that's the last DCAU that I watched. Based on what I've seen of The Killing Joker, looks like my streak is continuing.

I've been skipping the 52 based movies. I didn't care to read them, still didn't to watch them.

M
    Doom was pretty good. Not sure when it was released (before or after year one and dkr if that's what you meant).

Yeah, the post nu52 animated projects went downhill rapidly just like the comics. But there was still some enjoyment and entertainment amongst the muck. really, only son of batman was the closest to a true turd amongst the post nu52 series of dtvs. For the most part they've all simply been more "meh" rather than truly awful or truly good/great (as they were previously).

Not counting gods and monsters which is sortve its own thing and really great. It helped restore more hope and faith in DC animation.

I still haven't seen the last two Lego DC entries.

• Options

I've got Batman: Bad Blood on BluRay but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. For some reason I am trying to watch the DC animated stuff in order of release. Probably not necessary, but I'm odd like that.

Depending on your starting point, the only viewing order that would be at all applicable: justice league: war before justice league: throne of Atlantis. And Son of batman, before batman v robin, followed by justice league vs teen titans. There really is/was no continuity whatsoever other than that.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    batlaw said:

Matt said:

mphil said:

M
    Doom was pretty good. Not sure when it was released (before or after year one and dkr if that's what you meant).

Yeah, the post nu52 animated projects went downhill rapidly just like the comics. But there was still some enjoyment and entertainment amongst the muck. really, only son of batman was the closest to a true turd amongst the post nu52 series of dtvs. For the most part they've all simply been more "meh" rather than truly awful or truly good/great (as they were previously).

Not counting gods and monsters which is sortve its own thing and really great. It helped restore more hope and faith in DC animation.

I still haven't seen the last two Lego DC entries.

I borrowed Doom from a buddy. Glad I did. Aside from a couple moments, I really didn't think it was that good. It seemed like they had a couple extra villains laying around, so they got plugged into it.

M