Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman: The Killing Joke | Animated Feature (spoilers)

13»

Comments

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    edited August 2016
    My personal four star rating system. 1*= just ok. 4*=great. There really hasn't been any true zeros yet imo.

Superman: Doomsday 2
    Justice League: The New Frontier 4
    Batman: Gotham Knight 2
    Wonder Woman 3
    Green Lantern: First Flight 2-3
    Superman/Batman: Public Enemies 3
    Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths 3
    Batman: Under the Red Hood 3
    Superman/Batman: Apocalypse 1
    All-Star Superman 2-3
    Green Lantern: Emerald Knights 2
    Batman: Year One 3
    Justice League: Doom 2-3
    Superman vs. The Elite 2-3
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns 2-3
    Superman: Unbound 2
    Justice League: Flashpoint Paradox 3
    Justice League: War 2
    Son of Batman 1
    Batman: Assault on Arkham 2-3
    Justice League: Throne of Atlantis 2
    Batman vs. Robin 2-3
    Justice League: Gods and Monsters 4
    Batman: Bad Blood 2
    Justice League vs. Teen Titans 2
    Batman: The Killing Joke 3

Honorable mention- Trapped in Time 3

Why not

Brainiac Attacks 1-2
    Animal instincts 1
    Monster Mayhem 1
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    mphil said:

I guess I'm alone on this, I thought this was really good. I might even go as far as to say it's the best of the post-Timmverse movies. I can't think of a better one off the top of my head. That's not a glowing endorsement, most of the recent DCAU are one-watch movies. I would watch The Killing Joke again though.

I thought the sex angle was way overstated. It was 5 seconds, they get into a weird position while fighting and Batgirl takes or shirt off; that's it. Nothing more. It's very PG-13, which is fine for The Killing Joke. This isn't Teen Titans Go.

I thought the animation was fantastic and probably the best thing about the movie. It was Timmverse-esque but with rougher edges.

I thought the story was fine. Not great, but good enough. There is a slightly weird divide between the first and second half of the movies, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's two separate movies. They could have done a better job of connecting the two, by making the gang in the first half the same gang as in the second half and not killing off the big bad from the first.

The clip was only a couple moments, but it's the ripple to it that makes it longer.

Having watched the minutes following the scene, @bralinator was right. I thought it degraded Barbara. It made her look desperate & Batman came off as cold. It was like a number of scenes following one night stands.

Again, I think if it was ambiguous & the scene panned away with both standing & kissing, it would've made each character stronger. I would've avoided confirming they had sex.

To some extent, the "5 seconds" was part of a bigger moment that put the characters in places they didn't nor should've been put.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    batlaw said:

My personal four star rating system. 1*= just ok. 4*=great. There really hasn't been any true zeros yet imo.

Justice League: The New Frontier 4
    Wonder Woman 3
    Green Lantern: First Flight 2-3
    Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths 3
    Batman: Under the Red Hood 3
    Superman/Batman: Apocalypse 1
    All-Star Superman 2-3
    Green Lantern: Emerald Knights 2
    Batman: Year One 3
    Justice League: Doom 2-3
    Superman vs. The Elite 2-3
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns 2-3
    Son of Batman 1
    Batman: Assault on Arkham 2-3
    Batman vs. Robin 2
    Justice League vs. Teen Titans 2

Honorable mention- Trapped in Time 3

Why not

Brainiac Attacks 1-2
    Animal instincts 1
    Monster Mayhem 1

Thanks for your ratings @batlaw. I may revisit some of the ones I've skipped.

• Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    edited August 2016
    Matt said:

mphil said:

I guess I'm alone on this, I thought this was really good. I might even go as far as to say it's the best of the post-Timmverse movies. I can't think of a better one off the top of my head. That's not a glowing endorsement, most of the recent DCAU are one-watch movies. I would watch The Killing Joke again though.

I thought the sex angle was way overstated. It was 5 seconds, they get into a weird position while fighting and Batgirl takes or shirt off; that's it. Nothing more. It's very PG-13, which is fine for The Killing Joke. This isn't Teen Titans Go.

I thought the animation was fantastic and probably the best thing about the movie. It was Timmverse-esque but with rougher edges.

I thought the story was fine. Not great, but good enough. There is a slightly weird divide between the first and second half of the movies, but I wouldn't go as far as to say it's two separate movies. They could have done a better job of connecting the two, by making the gang in the first half the same gang as in the second half and not killing off the big bad from the first.

The clip was only a couple moments, but it's the ripple to it that makes it longer.

Having watched the minutes following the scene, @bralinator was right. I thought it degraded Barbara. It made her look desperate & Batman came off as cold. It was like a number of scenes following one night stands.

Again, I think if it was ambiguous & the scene panned away with both standing & kissing, it would've made each character stronger. I would've avoided confirming they had sex.

To some extent, the "5 seconds" was part of a bigger moment that put the characters in places they didn't nor should've been put.

M
    Why do you think it made her look desperate? That wasn't my impression at all. I don't think Barbara was heartbroken or anything like that, she was upset about losing the Batman/Batgirl mentorship.

Yes, Bruce was overly cold, they didn't portray him the best, this wasn't the best movie, but I think this aspect has been wildly overblown.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    mphil said:

Matt said:

mphil said:

M
    Why do you think it made her look desperate? That wasn't my impression at all. I don't think Barbara was heartbroken or anything like that, she was upset about losing the Batman/Batgirl mentorship.

Yes, Bruce was overly cold, they didn't portray him the best, this wasn't the best movie, but I think this aspect has been wildly overblown.
    Should I have said "fawning" instead? I felt she was chasing him too much to discuss what happened. I felt she came off weaker then she should've.

Which aspect has been overblown? Batman's coldness?

• Options
    It's a mess of a movie.
  • Options
    The animation art style makes me not want to see it. Pass.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    batlaw said:

jaydee74 said:

Oh. Also, I wasn't impressed with the performances of the voice actors who did Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock. I thought they were kind of weak.

I sortve remember thinking something negative about bullocks voice/performance too. Gordon was fine but I remember there being a bad line delivery somewhere. Maybe it was the "...by the book" scene?
    I thought that Bullock's voice was just weak. He tried to get the gruff sound but it just didn't work out. I was not impressed at all with the voice talent of Jim Gordon. I almost expected that they would have gotten the actor who did it in the Animated series. I thought he was just perfect as Gordon and this guy was just not right for the role. I didn't like the voice at all.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Inspired by @batlaw

Justice League: The New Frontier 2
    Wonder Woman 3
    Green Lantern: First Flight 2
    Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths 4
    Batman: Under the Red Hood 4
    Superman/Batman: Apocalypse 2
    All-Star Superman 2
    Green Lantern: Emerald Knights 3
    Batman: Year One 2
    Justice League: Doom 2
    Superman vs. The Elite 2
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns 4
    Son of Batman 1
    Batman: Assault on Arkham 4
    Batman vs. Robin 3
    Justice League vs. Teen Titans 3
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Semi related...

I got to meet mark hamil tonight at slcc. Got a cool autograph on a pic of the killing joke dvd cover. He said some interesting bits in this movie. I got the impression he wasn't exactly all together thrilled with the final result.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    @batlaw

I am at SLCC too. Did not meet Hamil but I did meet Shatner so all is good.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Finally saw this yesterday. It was ok.
    If it was split up into episodes of The Animated Series, I would have probably thought that each episode was good. As a full length feature, it just did not work and felt disjointed.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    The voice acting was great but I was not a fan of this one.