Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1617 Talkback - Off the Racks: Civil War II #0-1, Future Quest #1, et al.

A double-stuffed catch-up round of Off the Racks, giving overdue attention to select releases from May and June: DC's Future Quest #1, Valiant's 4001 AD #1, IDW's Tales from the Darkside #1, and issues #0 and #1 of Marvel's Civil War II event miniseries. (1:10:53)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Rod28Rod28 Posts: 63
    @wildpigcomics Chris, the book Aaron wrote was The Other Side.
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited August 2016
    I've been thinking about pulling the trigger on DC's "Future Quest", but when Murd mentioned that Steve Rude contributed to the issue, I'm all in.

I've been starving for exactly this kind of comic book for so long...thanks for the heads up!

PS: I hardly knew Pants was even there! I missed hearing his thoughts about some of the books!
  • Options
    Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    edited August 2016
    I echo the delivered sentiments about DC's FUTURE QUEST wholeheartedly. This was likely the best comic I had received in that shipment, and I was thrilled beyond measure that my most recent shipment contained issues #2 and #3. Shane, you'll be well-pleased if you've not yet read them. This series is just an absolute joy to read, and does all the stuff with these characters that I've always wanted to see done. Just absolutely perfect work.

I'm really excited to see how they're going to handle Mightor's introduction, as he was always one of my favorites from this group. And maybe I missed it, but did they mention Blue Falcon & Dyno-Mutt's inclusion in this project at some point? Because if they haven't, their omission would be criminal.

And I know it's just piling even more characters into an already-crowded project, but this series would be a good home for the Super-Friends characters as well (Apache Chief, Samurai, El Dorado, Black Vulcan, Wonder Twins).
  • Options
    It's like a "Crisis From Infinite Saturday Mornings!" Can't wait to get my copies (I nabbed them off eBay immediately after listening to the podcast).
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Future Quest was everything I had hoped for. I remember watching the cartoons as a kid. In recent years shows like Harvey Birdman and The Venture Bros. have kept them in my mind. This comic, though, goes back to the pure core of the original shows. The art is amazing..."Doc" Shaner can do no wrong, IMHO.

Civil War II has been interesting. I've read up through issue #4 and the stakes have been raised. However, the core of the argument is pretty stupid. Like the guys have already pointed out Ulysses is far from the first precog in the Marvel U. On top of that, with all the time travel and shenanigans over the years you'd think that these characters would have a much better understanding of how time works. Captain Marvel would be right if seeing into the future, time travel, etc had been proven as absolutes in the past. Since they haven't, and more recent issues seem to prove Tony right, you can't help but easily chose his side. The first Civil War was grounded in a time of the Patriot Act and the increasing presence of big government in our lives. It was easy to relate to and it wasn't hard to imagine that sort of thing causing a rift in the superhero community. This, however, isn't like that.

• Options
    The whole bruhaha over Ulysses the Precog reminds me a bit of all the fuss they made over mind-wipes in DC's "Identity Crisis" a dozen or so years ago. Mind wipes (magical or otherwise) were pretty common during the Silver and Bronze age, so for that one incident to spark this massive controversy among the DCU heroes seemed a bit overblown.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    Very happy that Chris mentioned the Dynamite Flash Gordon series that Parker & Shaner did for Dynamite (?). So very good!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    aquatroy said:

Very happy that Chris mentioned the Dynamite Flash Gordon series that Parker & Shaner did for Dynamite (?). So very good!

It was awesome. Dynamite published a 9-issue omnibus TPB edition which is a MUST-OWN item for any collector or comic aficionado. If you liked Millar & Parlov’s “Starlight,” then this Parker/Shaner/Bellaire joint surpasses even that. There's a deceptive simplicity in this book that gives a nod to its Alex Raymond artwork and comic strip roots. Complimented by Bellaire’s coloring, Doc Shaner’s art on this book is, possibly, the best he’s ever done. Top notch.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited August 2016

aquatroy said:

It was awesome. Dynamite published a 9-issue omnibus TPB edition which is a MUST-OWN item for any collector or comic aficionado. If you liked Millar & Parlov’s “Starlight,” then this Parker/Shaner/Bellaire joint surpasses even that. There's a deceptive simplicity in this book that gives a nod to its Alex Raymond artwork and comic strip roots. Complimented by Bellaire’s coloring, Doc Shaner’s art on this book is, possibly, the best he’s ever done. Top notch.
    I agree wholeheartedly. Their Flash Gordon story is a great read. The only thing wrong with it is that Dynamite didn’t sign them on for a longer run. The story ended up a little rushed in a couple of spots, and I wish they could have explored the various worlds more like the strip stories did (and I’d bet they wish they could have too), but those are very minor nitpicks.

I'd give Starlight a slight edge simply because it has an emotional element that gives its story a bit more weight, whereas Flash Gordon is a straight-ahead adventure story. But that’s not to take away from Flash Gordon at all—it revels in being a fun, joyous adventure story, and you can’t help but smile when you read it.

EDIT—I was looking through Doc’s original art for Flash Gordon at Heroes earlier this summer, and it's a good thing they were in plastic sleeves, else I would have gotten drool all over them. Wish I'd had the money to buy one.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    I've already raved about Future Quest #1 on another thread, so I'll just say buy, buy, buy! And issue #3 is full-on Steve Rude art (with a Lopesti-drawn backup), and you can’t go wrong with that.
  • Options

I've already raved about Future Quest #1 on another thread, so I'll just say buy, buy, buy!

I did! I did! I did!

I ordered all the published issues within an hour of listening to the podcast, and they are already winging their way to me. This series was custom made JUST FOR ME...but I'm willing to share.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Still trade waiting this one (HC preferred), so every month I don't see it solicited I'm not sure how to feel. I don't want a 6 issue collection if they're soliciting issue #7, so I may wait until it collects 12. Not sure how long the series is planned, or will go.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I agree with most everything said above about Future Quest (BUY! I wish I had ordered subsequent issues) and Civil War 2 (BUYROW-but kinda "meh") and I didn't read the others. Thanks for the episode!
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I miss the real Adventures of Johnny Quest.

Also, Venture Brothers ruined classic Quest for me :smiley: