Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Star Trek Beyond (Now with spoilers)

2»

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't part of some insidious plot to simply make Star Trek Beyond get some much needed press...

I'm a cynic. I admit it.

What, like they’re paying Takei to say Sulu should be straight?

Okay, here’s what you need to do. Turn off your computer, go outside, take a deep breath of fresh air, and go for a walk. It’ll do you a world of good. I say this as a friend who is deeply concerned over your mental health. Some things are simply not worth worrying about. :)
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

I'm beginning to wonder if this isn't part of some insidious plot to simply make Star Trek Beyond get some much needed press...

I'm a cynic. I admit it.

Okay, here’s what you need to do. Turn off your computer, go outside, take a deep breath of fresh air, and go for a walk. It’ll do you a world of good. I say this as a friend who is deeply concerned over your mental health. Some things are simply not worth worrying about. :)
    C'mon, you know it was a joke. But you must admit that this particular thread certainly hadn't seen much action until this recent news.

As for people who need their mental health checked, I'd submit that it could be the ones angry at Mr. Takei for his response.

#DeleteYourTwitterAccount
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

I'm a cynic. I admit it.

C'mon, you know it was a joke. But you must admit that this particular thread certainly hadn't seen much action until this recent news.

As for people who need their mental health checked, I'd submit that it could be the ones angry at Mr. Takei for his response.

#DeleteYourTwitterAccount
    I'm lost on how Lucifer Sam came to the conclusion homophobic people scored a win here.

Any chance Gay Bat was really unhappy until Sulu was announced gay?

M

• Options
    Matt said:

I'm lost on how Lucifer Sam came to the conclusion homophobic people scored a win here.

Any chance Gay Bat was really unhappy until Sulu was announced gay?

M

Only briefly, and then George spoke up. Fandom has become this weird thing where people think they can just order what they want off a menu. They should consider putting down the Twitter and going outside.
  • Options

I was fairly sure it was. That’s why I had the smiley face. Just continuing the joke.

Twitter isn’t my thing. I'm on Facebook and Tumblr, and that’s more than enough for me. I know I should be on Twitter to promote my books, but I just can’t.
  • Options

I know I should be on Twitter to promote my books, but I just can’t.

Someone's got your back on Twitter: https://twitter.com/fantagraphics
  • Options

Ha! Fantagraphics has never had my back. I don’t think they’ve ever said anything nice (when they mention it all) about anything I’ve ever worked on.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Ha! Fantagraphics has never had my back. I don’t think they’ve ever said anything nice (when they mention it all) about anything I’ve ever worked on.
    Jerks.

Maybe you can take this account over? It NEVER posts anything, good or bad.

https://twitter.com/TwoMorrows_News
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128

I'm a cynic. I admit it.

Well they did have some press but sadly that was due to Anton Yelchin's death.

As for the Sulu thing, meh. If the character comes across as well written that's all I care about
  • Options

Jerks.

Maybe you can take this account over? It NEVER posts anything, good or bad.

https://twitter.com/TwoMorrows_News
    I'm not sure if that was started by TwoMorrows or someone else. Pretty much all of the action happens on the TwoMorrows Facebook page for now, and I'll post things there sometimes just because I'm already on Facebook anyway. But I’ve got enough to deal with already.
  • Options

But I’ve got enough to deal with already.

I bet if we both stopped checking back in at these forums we could potentially open up an extra 45 minutes of free time every week. Am I being too conservative?
  • Options
    DAR said:

Well they did have some press but sadly that was due to Anton Yelchin's death.

That was terrible news, yes.
  • Options

But I’ve got enough to deal with already.

I bet if we both stopped checking back in at these forums we could potentially open up an extra 45 minutes of free time every week. Am I being too conservative?
    Probably, but this is one of the few distractions I allow myself. Sometimes I get sucked into discussions when I don’t really have the time for them, but sometimes I need the distraction just to help me get recharged.
  • Options
    I still remember when ST:TNG expertly handled a similar theme in "The Outcast". Introducing a gender identity / gay characters isn't unique or impossible as Mr. Pegg implies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMqGlSjAbwA
    Obvious allusions to the debate over homosexuality in our own world. Being Gay, Being Different.

Who is to say that 2016 notions of sexual and gender identity would or should be relevant to someone living in Roddenberry’s 2216?
    “We could have introduced a new gay character, but he or she would have been primarily defined by their sexuality, seen as the ‘gay character,’ rather than simply for who they are,” Simon Pegg said in a statement, “and isn’t that tokenism?”
    I would think that including a gay character in your story for whom gayness is nothing more than a boring and rarely mentioned biographical detail might not be the greatest of achievements. It might even suggest that Mr. Pegg is not really that interested in including queerness in his story after all but is simply looking to safely check a off a box on the good diversity representation worksheet. Which might suggest that Mr. Pegg is enacting the very “tokenism” you say you want to avoid.

This may have been George Takei's point about introducing a new character for whom gayness was clearly part of his/her/zee's identity instead of retrofitting Roddenberry's Sulu character with a new identity.

FWIW, I have no 'dog in the fight' and wasn't even planning on seeing this in theaters, as I've not seen ANY of Abram's Star Trek films in theaters. I will eventually watch it on home video. I see absolutely no problems with LGBT representation in movies. It will be coming soon to Star Wars, Marvel, Disney, and so on, but in my humble opinion, in regards to the recent trend of parasitically taking over existing characters and rewriting them to fit various quotas of race, gender, and sexuality - it reflects a serious collapse in the intellectual level of pop culture.

Reboot. Remake. Recycle. Repeat.

• Options

I would think that including a gay character in your story for whom gayness is nothing more than a boring and rarely mentioned biographical detail might not be the greatest of achievements. It might even suggest that Mr. Pegg is not really that interested in including queerness in his story after all but is simply looking to safely check a off a box on the good diversity representation worksheet. Which might suggest that Mr. Pegg is enacting the very “tokenism” you say you want to avoid.

I don’t know what Pegg’s true intentions are, but for me, it’s about perception. Tokenism in my mind would be including a gay character who serves no purpose in the story. That’s not at issue when it’s one of the central characters who is gay. Personally, I like that it’s going to be treated simply as a background detail that just hasn’t been mentioned before now—that is to say, it’s going to be treated as simply being situation normal. I would like to think that by 2216 it would no longer need to be talked about.

I think Takei’s issue is exactly what he said—Takei didn’t think of Sulu as being gay when he was acting, therefore Sulu wasn’t gay—no more, no less. It’s his ego (and I don’t mean that in the negative sense) as an actor that’s talking.

FWIW, I have no 'dog in the fight' and wasn't even planning on seeing this in theaters, as I've not seen ANY of Abram's Star Trek films in theaters. I will eventually watch it on home video.

The last Star Trek film I saw in the theater was Star Trek VI. I haven't even watched anything after that in the leisure of my own home, though I seem to remember catching about five minutes of First Contact once.

in regards to the recent trend of parasitically taking over existing characters and rewriting them to fit various quotas of race, gender, and sexuality - it reflects a serious collapse in the intellectual level of pop culture.

Reboot. Remake. Recycle. Repeat.

I think you're giving pop culture of the past too much credit. Most pop culture from every time period has been on the low end of the intellectual scale. That’s just the nature of the beast. Even Shakespeare was guilty of remaking, recycling, repeating.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    This has been there since the mid 80's.
    March 22 is also the birthday for William Shatner.

I do not think it is still accurate with the new movie timeline. In that, Kirk is born in space and Riverside Iowa is his hometown instead of birthplace.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

This has been there since the mid 80's.
    March 22 is also the birthday for William Shatner.

I do not think it is still accurate with the new movie timeline. In that, Kirk is born in space and Riverside Iowa is his hometown instead of birthplace.

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I thought the movie was great. Everyone in the movie was great. Loved the plot and the twists and turns. I love actually getting a glimpse into what it might be like to live on a starship for 3 years in deep space. I thought that was very intriguing. I think the movie took themes and ideas from various original Star Trek movies like Kirk wanting to become a Admiral and Spock wanting to be a member of the Vulcan High Council. Also, celebrating Kirk's birthday which had new meaning in this Universe. I really enjoyed this movie a lot and loved just about everything.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    For all of the wailing and gnashing of teeth, the whole "Sulu is outed" was such a small part of the movie that you wouldn't have noticed if there wasn't such a hubbub about it. Pegg also talked continuity and basically said that because of the incursion from the future, this timeline is changed in many ways due to the quantum nature of time, which worked for me as well as any other Trek technobabble.

I liked the movie. A lot. Probably too much action for my tastes, and the fight scenes were filmed in the modern "it's all chaos in the dark" way, but Kirk felt like Kirk for the first time in the new series, and I was excited through the whole thing. Well worth paying money to see in a theater.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Week 2 totals:

2nd place with 24 million. A 59.5% drop (a little steep). 106 million (domestic) with 54 million (overseas) so far on a 185 million budget.

This still has some time left and it has not opened in China or Japan. It should make its production budget back easily but actually making a profit may be tough.

• Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    I saw the movie a couple of days ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, It felt the most like the original series of the three rebooted films to me, albeit beefed up with modern action movie tropes. All the returning cast acquitted themselves well, particularly Chris Pine, who has grown in the role and finally convinced me that his Captain Kirk could plausibly command a star ship crew. And I loved the little nod to the original crew at the end of movie, bought a lump to my throat.
  • Options
    ajcasperiteajcasperite Posts: 221
    edited August 2016
    Fun movie period. Villian underused but a fun movie. Go see it.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    The more I think about this movie, the more I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Week 3:

10.2 million domestic for a 127.9 total domestic (194.4 worldwide total) on a 185 million budget.

This goes in the under performed category for now. Still some money to make overseas so it could still see some significant increase.
  • Options
    For what it's worth, this movie doesn't even open in Japan until October, so it could take some time to get a real analysis of how successful it was after worldwide distribution and marketing costs are factored in. Maybe they saved some of the marketing costs this time around, since it seems like the movie was rather shoddily marketed overall.