Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel Heroes MMO... coming soon?

Although I've been teased in the past, I've just read that the new Marvel Universe "Diablo-style" MMO is launching around San Diego Comic Con this summer. Does anyone have any more details? Does anyone play the DC MMO and, if so, do you like it? FYI, here's the trailer to Marvel Heroes on YouTube:

Best Answer

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Answer ✓
    I've only played the opening missions of DCUO, seems like a fun game, but I'm not digging it on the pc, maybe if I used a controller as opposed to a mouse and keyboard I'd enjoy it more.

As for Marvel's MMO, I'm on the fence about it. I want to see the finished product because what I've seen so far doesn't have me very interested. I don't want to play as an established Marvel charcter, I would want to create my own hero/villian in that world.

Answers

• Options
    TheMarvelManTheMarvelMan Posts: 159
    Yeah, I wonder how that will work. Can 1,756 Wolverines really run around Manhattan simultaneously? "Wait and See" is an excellent strategy!
  • Options
    Exactly. My kids and I play Super Hero Squad Online, although I see multiples of the same characters running around, I have yet to see that in missions and don't think its possible, I think (and I may be wrong) that the first player queued in a mission with a paticular character gets precedence. Not sure if that will happen here, I would hate to have three or four Deadpools teamed up on the same mission.
  • Options
    How about the platform? Has anyone heard about whether it will be PC or browser or...?
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    We will probably find out more next week during E3.
  • Options
    Odds are PS3 and PC as they are the most compatible for MMOs, if we're lucky we'll get x-box and even though marvel's released a lot of games through the wii, I don't think this one will make the cut due to the wiis control scheme
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    I would think dcuo would scare another super hero mmo off of consoles. Too restrictive.

Champions was the last attempt at a marvel mmo before marvel pulled out.

With what happened on swtor and 38 studiod I'm surprised anybody is trying mmo's again. Too much risk.
  • Options
    I can't comment on supehero MMO's in paticular, I've only played DCOU and very little of it.

The MMO genre of game as a whole is in a state of flux right now. Each new MMO wants to capture WoW's success to at least some extent and I don't see any new MMO reaching quite that level and that player base is what each new MMO gets compared too. I'm eagerly waiting for the "next gen" MMO that Blizzard has been working on for the last four or five years, just to see how well it does compared to WoW.

38 Studios was a mess almost from the start with the amount of money that they were shelling out. The loan debacle was a total lack of common sense on all parties involved.

As for SWToR, I really like this game. It is a very good game. I think that if at launch the stuff we got in patch 1.2 and what we're getting in 1.3 were there, we wouldn't have seen such a high player downturn and layoffs. Either the development was going too slow when the launch date approached and it had to get out there or be scrapped; or the launch date was set too soon by all involved in that decision. It's just sad that such a good game has to be going through this.

Sorry for rambling. I even cut out my rant on subscription vs free to play/micro transaction models.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    38 Studios was a mess almost from the start with the amount of money that they were shelling out. The loan debacle was a total lack of common sense on all parties involved.
    Dude, I live in Rhode Island. TELL ME ABOUT IT.
  • Options
    @LibraryBoy - I feel bad that people of RI and those that lost their jobs got this dumped in their laps. I really hope that those responsible get held accountable for all of the jack assery that they wrought upon you all.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Well, RI is right in the heart of Red Sox Nation. All Curt had to do was show up and say "Hey... 2004. Bloody sock." and the then-governor couldn't open up the state's checkbook fast enough. I'm not a huge fan of the current governor, either, but at least he's been all up in 38 Studios' grill trying to hold them accountable. The state's still going to lose over $100 million on the deal, of course, but at least someone had the thought to go in and see what the hell they were doing over there.

400 new jobs don't mean crap when those jobs don't last a year.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I have DCUO and I essentially loved it. Problem for me is its my first MMO and try as I might, I just cant figure it all out and dont think the MMO format is for me. Once I reached max level I was quickly left behind and much of the fun was gone. Plus the monthly fee concept is still tuff for me to justify, especially if youre like me and not an expert and therefore unable to access much of the content and updates youre paying for. Ive never played a game on PC and dont think thats for me either. Had DCUO not been released on PS3 I wouldnt have played.
    I would be interested in a Marvel version of DCUO assuming the cost of the game included at least the 1st month free and I thought I would get my moneys worth from that.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I think Marvel Heroes is free to play and I'm not sure if there will be an initial cost for the game itself to start. My guess is it will be primarily for pc, that does not rule out consoles, looking at the trailer, it looks like it would work for consoles. Free to play also tells me there will be micro transactions for variant costumes, gear, vanity/cosmetic items, and possibly even game content for funding.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I have played Superhero Squad and you can't use the same character in the same mission unless it's in a different costume. (Red and Blue Spider-Man can be in the same mission as Black Costume Spidey and MIles Morales Spider-Man for example)

I was hoping that this MMO would be in somewhat the same vein as the DC Universe where you create a brand new hero that can interact with the Marvel heroes or villains. I'll check this out but I agree that I am on a "wait and see" basis as well.
  • Options
    I have played Superhero Squad and you can't use the same character in the same mission unless it's in a different costume. (Red and Blue Spider-Man can be in the same mission as Black Costume Spidey and MIles Morales Spider-Man for example).
    Very interesting! That makes sense, especially because the different costumes seem to be supplied with different powers/abilities.
  • Options
    Alas, it seems that the rumor of a launch at San Diego was overly optimistic. The latest post on their web site states that they will use San Diego to create their pool of Beta testers. That means that the game is not going to launch for six months or so. Rats! Here's the news blurb if you're interested:

http://www.marvelheroes.com/news/press-release/july-05-2012
  • Options
    The games launches on Tuesday, if you bought one of the founder packs, early access has been going on for a few days. I grabbed the Ms. Marvel starter pack, If anybody is playing and wants to group feel free to add me, HowIGeek.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I was tempted at first but the more I see the less I want to play.
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    I'll check it out at launch.
  • Options
    Free to play, go through the first mission and at least give it try, you're not out anything except a little time. I had no intention of playing but was convinced by some WoW guildies to jump in. I like how the cut scenes are done. They have a lot of the voice actors from various Marvel animated shows which was a plus for me.

The open areas like Hell's Kitchen are fun. There are events that happen where players can team up and take a down villian or a gang riot, or whatever is specific to that area.

I'm not sold on the how vendors work. You have to uprade the vendor, as opposed of leveling yourself for whatever they might have to sell you. There is also crafting, not sold on that either, it's fine in mmo's like WoW, don't care for it in games like this and Diablo.

Having fun with it so far.