Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

SUPERMAN: Who's Your Creative Dream Team!?

For years it's always been said that Superman is one of the hardest characters to write for. "He's boring, he's a boy scout, he's too powerful, his rogues gallery sucks..." Etc . I disagree. Left in competent hands and good editorial, any character can be the focal point of a good story. I think Tomasi/Gleason are doing great on Superman right now, but if you could pick an artist/writer team aside from Tomasi and Gleason, who would it be?

I would love to see an omnibus length run by Mark Waid and Ryan Ottley. With occasional guest art by Greg Capullo

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I agree 100% about Tomasi and Gleason.

My dream writer would be Jonathan Hickman. I'd love to see him writing a DC book and I think he could do amazing things with Superman. I'm less certain when it comes to an artist. There are some people I'd love to see drawing Superman but a lot of who I'd pick would be determined by the tone of the story Hickman would tell.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Henry Cavill and Zach Snyder ;)
  • Options
    I like the Hickman idea. Similarly, I'm going to go outside the box and pick Brandon Graham as my writer. If he can make Prophet interesting, he can certainly make Superman interesting. And I'll pick José Luis García-López as my artist to keep things relatable for the older fans. That may seem like an odd pairing, but I think they would work pretty well together.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Jerry Seinfeld and Akira Toriyama.

Both love Superman, both have big name value outside the typical Superman comic reader.

This might seem like a joke answer, but I am deadly serious about wanting to see such a comic.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I agree 100% about Tomasi and Gleason.

My dream writer would be Jonathan Hickman. I'd love to see him writing a DC book and I think he could do amazing things with Superman. I'm less certain when it comes to an artist. There are some people I'd love to see drawing Superman but a lot of who I'd pick would be determined by the tone of the story Hickman would tell.

I think you on to something there... He could make it real interesting with the all the possibilities coming out of a fortress of solitude. People forget that although Superman is naive, he's also genius.
  • Options
    Brack said:

Jerry Seinfeld and Akira Toriyama.

Both love Superman, both have big name value outside the typical Superman comic reader.

This might seem like a joke answer, but I am deadly serious about wanting to see such a comic.

I'd read it
  • Options
    I'd like to see a written and drawn ogn from Jeff Lemire. Think he could do some awesome stuff with the character.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited September 2016
    luke52 said:

I'd like to see a written and drawn ogn from Jeff Lemire. Think he could do some awesome stuff with the character.

Jeff would probably do a take on one of the Silver Age “imaginary stories” like the one where Superman ends up in the far future where the Sun has become a red sun so he loses his powers and can’t get back home—except he’d do it IN CONTINUITY!
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Eternal_E said:

if you could pick an artist/writer team aside from Tomasi and Gleason, who would it be?

Bob Haney with art by George Tuska & Vince Colletta

• Options

luke52 said:

Jeff would probably do a take on one of the Silver Age “imaginary stories” like the one where Superman ends up in the far future where the Sun has become a red sun so he loses his powers and can’t get back home—except he’d do it IN CONTINUITY!
    And it would be awesome!

• Options

Eternal_E said:

if you could pick an artist/writer team aside from Tomasi and Gleason, who would it be?

Might be tough to get work out of those guys, but otherwise I like it. :smile:
  • Options

Eternal_E said:

And I would never ever read it.

• Options
    I think this Superman proposal should have been put in place.

Mark Miller, Grant Morrison, Mark Waid and Tom Peyer.
  • Options

Eternal_E said:

That's too bad. You may have missed out on a lot of entertaining bronze-age stories, Cory, but thank-you for adding to the lightheartedness of the discussion.

• Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868

I think this Superman proposal should have been put in place.

Mark Miller, Grant Morrison, Mark Waid and Tom Peyer.

That would have changed comics (and probably film) history. Think how many awful Millar books we'd have been spared if he'd been writing the good Superman comics we knew he could write back then.
  • Options

Eternal_E said:

That’s it. I'm writing you out of my will.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely and they should call it All-Star Superman and publish it in 2005.
  • Options
    Kurt Busiek and Eric Powell.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I would have loved to have seen a Mantlo/Buscema run.
  • Options
    Greg said:

I would have loved to have seen a Mantlo/Buscema run.

If we could get them from their hey-day, I like that also.

In fact, if we could pick any era in time, then I would also like to see Jack Kirby's Superman (written & drawn unretouched!)

Along with unearthed tales by...

+ Steve Englehart & Michael Golden
    + Archie Goodwin & Walt Simonson
    + Roger Stern & George Perez
    + Cary Bates & Jim Cockrum
    + Alan Moore & Art Adams
    + Neil Gaman & P. Craig Russell
  • Options

Eternal_E said:

If I have to read something by Vince Colletta of my own free will to inherit your money...you can keep it. I have no use for The Living Eraser.
  • Options

Eternal_E said:

That's too bad. You may have missed out on a lot of entertaining bronze-age stories, Cory, but thank-you for adding to the lightheartedness of the discussion.

Hmm...wonder how much of that picture didn't get inked because Vince only spent 90 minutes on a page. ^_^
  • Options

Eternal_E said:

Hmm...wonder how much of that picture didn't get inked because Vince only spent 90 minutes on a page. ^_^
    None! That cover was penciled and inked by Jim Aparo. :smiley:
  • Options

Eternal_E said:

If I have to read something by Vince Colletta of my own free will to inherit your money...you can keep it. I have no use for The Living Eraser.
    Well, to be honest, you weren’t getting any cash. I was only going to leave you the comics in my collection inked by Colletta.
  • Options

Eternal_E said:

Well, to be honest, you weren’t getting any cash. I was only going to leave you the comics in my collection inked by Colletta.
    I know a SINGLE hard core Kirby fan who liked his work on Thor.

Nothing tops the story I heard about Ditko. Ditko would come in to drop off work, and he would be left a bundle of everything Marvel had published so he could keep up on things, and he would take any comic inked by Colletta, go into Stan office and put it in the garbage can so that Stan would see he'd done so.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited September 2016

I know a few. The Kirby Collector readers are pretty divided on it. A lot of them feel the quality of Colletta’s fine line fit the fantasy elements of the book, and I think there’s some merit to that argument. Of course, no one likes the shortcuts Colletta took. Though I have to say that I have seen instances where Colletta’s eliminating a background element actually helped the composition of a panel. But then, it wasn’t his job to act as art director.

But to not read a Bob Haney/George Tuska production just because of li’l ol’ Vinnie? Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water, man!
  • Options

I know a few. The Kirby Collector readers are pretty divided on it. A lot of them feel the quality of Colletta’s fine line fit the fantasy elements of the book, and I think there’s some merit to that argument. Of course, no one likes the shortcuts Colletta took. Though I have to say that I have seen instances where Colletta’s eliminating a background element actually helped the composition of a panel. But then, it wasn’t his job to act as art director.

But to not read a Bob Haney/George Tuska production just because of li’l ol’ Vinnie? Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water, man!
    Haney's stuff rubs me the wrong way. I think you have to read it as a kid to have a fondness for it. And I have seen a LOT of Tuska's art ruined by Vinnie. He made his work flat, got rid of the facial expressions and gave every woman the same face.
  • Options
    Look up some of Colletta's romance stuff.. dazzling. I understand the divided opinions, though.
  • Options
    Mark Waid writing. From what he did with the Flash back in the day (my favorite superhero and one of my favorite runs of that character) to his recent work on Daredevil, Waid brings the fun and adventure to his comics writing that engages me. And after listening to a podcast with him years back (I think it was with Art & Franco) where he discussed his thoughts about Superman and what makes him tick and how best to approach him, as a character, I know he'd do some great things with this.

On the art side --- Bill Sienkiewicz. Love, love, love his work. And with him drawing Superman, you know it would be a feast for the eyes.

-chris
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I love the current team of Tomasi and Gleason. They work well together. I also loved the team of Geoff Johns and Gary Frank. I'd like to see Mark Waid write Superman. He so gets the history of the character he's writing and I've been a fan of just about everything he does. For the artist, I'd like to see Phil Jiminez. I've always been a fan of his art and I think they could make a great Superman book.