Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What are the comic runs you can read over and over?

2»

Comments

• Options
    hauberk said:

You are the first person, aside from myself, that I have ever seen say anything positive about Shadowline Saga. I loved those books. The absolutely egregious treatment of Doctor Zero in Secret Wars dropped me right back out of Marvel when that Alex Ross cover image with Zero and St. George had reeled me back in.

I missed that cover and issue. I'll have to track them down some day, even if those characters are mistreated.

As for the original series, just looking at the Sienkiewicz, Morrow, and Zaffino artwork was more than worth the price of admission back in the day. When I had the chance, I had to get a Sienkiewicz Dr. Zero.

• Options
    This is a great and fun question to answer.

John Byrne era Superman :
    since those were the first issues I remember picking up as a little kid, I have a big soft spot for these issues

Ultimate Spider-Man from Bendis and Bagley.
    I collected and read this series in trade format, so once I started reading a volume, I couldn't put it down. It was also refreshing to have such a long run of issues from the same creative team.

The Mighty Thor from Walt Simonson
    When a creator can write and draw as imaginatively as Simonson did, and build upon the Thor mythos as much as he did during his 5 years by creating new characters and using all the ancillary characters as well as he did, it doesn't get much better then that. Walts take on Thor is still my favourite.

Green Lantern from Geoff Johns
    This is rarified air. Taking a beloved, yet often under appreciated character like Hal Jordan and making his title one of the best in all comics for as long as he was on it is a great feat. It seems a lot more common today, but Johns made it his calling card.

Invincible by Robert Kirkman and Ryan Ottley
    Possibly the best superhero comic ever

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Mr_Cosmic said:

3. Hickmans Avengers/new avengers, FF, and Secret warriors are all awesome too. Secret warriors was a great story, and I'm always down to re read it to catch things I missed. With Hickman, he basically told one long story throughout FF, Ultimates, and then the Avengers/new avengers stuff. All the buildup was awesome for secret wars, especially the FF story line.

Reading his Avengers books during Infinity was fantastic. If a person skipped reading them it was like missing a huge chunk of the Infinity story.

Secret Warriors was great and I'd tie his SHIELD story in there as well. You can read everything he did at Marvel and find connecting threads. Amazing.
    Eternal_E said:

This is a great and fun question to answer.

John Byrne era Superman :
    since those were the first issues I remember picking up as a little kid, I have a big soft spot for these issues

Ultimate Spider-Man from Bendis and Bagley.
    I collected and read this series in trade format, so once I started reading a volume, I couldn't put it down. It was also refreshing to have such a long run of issues from the same creative team.

The Mighty Thor from Walt Simonson
    When a creator can write and draw as imaginatively as Simonson did, and build upon the Thor mythos as much as he did during his 5 years by creating new characters and using all the ancillary characters as well as he did, it doesn't get much better then that. Walts take on Thor is still my favourite.

Green Lantern from Geoff Johns
    This is rarified air. Taking a beloved, yet often under appreciated character like Hal Jordan and making his title one of the best in all comics for as long as he was on it is a great feat. It seems a lot more common today, but Johns made it his calling card.

Invincible by Robert Kirkman and Ryan Ottley
    Possibly the best superhero comic ever

Welcome aboard @Eternal_E!
  • Options
    Great topic- I've been away from the forums for a bit but this is the kind of topic that gets me commenting again here.. A lot of mine have been mentioned:

- Morrison's Batman run- I just re-read this a few weeks ago. I'm not a Morrison disciple, but I'm firmly in the camp that loved this run, and it's very rewarding when I return to it.
    - Frank Miller's DD runs- an obvious choice, and still holds up tremendously of course.. Essential, cornerstone of my collection stuff.
    - Simonson's Thor run- @Eternal_E put it better than I could. One of my favorite runs ever.
    - Jim Owsley's, (aka Christopher Priest under his given name) run on Conan the Barbarian - I've banged the drums for this run before. Similar in some ways to Simonson's Thor. He builds a great cast of supporting characters for Conan to play off of, and dangles larger plots through individual adventures month to month, really building up the drama. Great art by John Buscema (of course) and later, Val Semeiks inked by Geof Isherwood (which had a sort of Simonson/John Byrne-esque quality to it, also great). It was a great take on the character and breathed new life into the book at the time (Roy Thomas had long since departed by the time Owsley took over the book). This is a run that holds up well and is a hell of a lot of fun. I'd even put it out there for a capes lover as a possible gateway drug to Conan.

And I've only recently acquired and read Byrne's FF & Alpha Flight runs, but I know I will return to both of them- I really liked both runs a lot despite being a total Byrne newbie.
  • Options
    I've burned through Alan Moore's Supreme several times, now... Sandman, Moore's Swamp Thing, the Dark Phoenix Saga, anything Mad.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Bronze Age Marvel, all of it...thats a huge chunk of comfort and good memories that I go back to time and time again.

More specificly:

Perez/Wolfman's New Teen Titans
    IDW's Transformers - They've had some stinkers, but I read the hardcover collections about once year and keep up on the ongoing titles.
    Any and all things Terry Moore
    Byrne's FF
    Simonson's Thor
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Tonebone said:

I've burned through Alan Moore's Supreme several times, now...

Another series I have never bother to get around to reading. I think it is long overdue. Thanks for the heads up.
    Tonebone said:

anything Mad.

awesome. love it.

• Options
    Hex said:

Tonebone said:

I've burned through Alan Moore's Supreme several times, now...

Another series I have never bother to get around to reading. I think it is long overdue. Thanks for the heads up.
    Tonebone said:

anything Mad.

awesome. love it.

Supreme is a great read... the art is a mixed bag, bouncing from awful Leifieldesque Image-bro art, to Rick Vietch's perfect flashback silver age art, and finally landing Chris Sprouse, which is, of course, beautiful.

Moore's writing, and his love for silver-age Superman tropes pulls it all together, though. Checker Publishing printed two trade paperbacks a few years ago, which is how I was exposed to it.