Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Brubaker leaving Winter Soldier

Earlier in the summer it was announced that Brubaker was leaving Cap this fall, but today, it was announced that Winter Soldier #14 will be his last issue of that series as well. Brubaker's said he will be focused on more creator owned work and Hollywood stuff, but with him leaving Bucky behind for now, it officially ends his run with the character he reintroduced and revitalized.

CBR Article on Bru's Departure: comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=40642

Personally speaking, the Cap Omnibus from 2007 is what "created" me as a modern comics reader. It made Barnes my favorite Marvel character by such a significant margin, and started me on the path to the reader I am now. Some part of me feels like I won't be reading any Marvel books come 2013.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I hope he does some awesome stuff wherever he goes!
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Jason Latour is taking over the writing. He’s mostly known for his art (check out his recent B.P.R.D. story), but he’s a pretty good writer too and a solid guy. Hopefully, people will give him a chance.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

Jason Latour is taking over the writing. He’s mostly known for his art (check out his recent B.P.R.D. story), but he’s a pretty good writer too and a solid guy. Hopefully, people will give him a chance.

That's good to hear. I have to admit I'm a bit nervous having Winter Soldier written by anyone other than Bru. I'll give it a chance and hopefully Latour can knock it out of the park.
  • Options
    demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    aaaannnd another book gets whittled from my pull list. i'm down to, what, 3 or 4 by December?
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    This will probably take me down to one marvel book -- waid's Daredevil. And I just started getting into that run.

There was a time when I read avengers, x-men, cap, ff, spider-man and all the related tie ins or events. Over the years through various moves, marvel has whittled me down to nothing.

I think the bulk of the reasons I left books had to do with creative changes or gimmicks.
  • Options
    Lately, I've noticed I've been looking for jumping off points with my comics, and this will provide yet another one.

I quit monthlies a while back and stayed out for a couple of years. I was lured back with the New 52 launch from DC, picked up a couple of Marvel titles, but, while there have been a couple of bright spots, I'm just not taken with most of what is being produced by the Big Two right now.

I think I'm going to end up being one of those guys that is content reading the older material in trades or from cheap bins.
  • Options
    Disappointing because Brubaker's Winter Soldier was still going well despite Cap not keeping the momentum but I wish him well because this story has been one of the modern epics in comics has influenced much of the rest of the Marvel U. I think his Cap story has finished its arc anyway, despite the fact that I would want Bucky redeemed publically, simply because I want the hero to be victorious and justified, but I think that Bucky will always remain covert because he is suited to that, and that is where Brubaker has left him.

Do you think Bucky could become the next Nick Fury?
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

Lately, I've noticed I've been looking for jumping off points with my comics, and this will provide yet another one.

I quit monthlies a while back and stayed out for a couple of years. I was lured back with the New 52 launch from DC, picked up a couple of Marvel titles, but, while there have been a couple of bright spots, I'm just not taken with most of what is being produced by the Big Two right now.

I think I'm going to end up being one of those guys that is content reading the older material in trades or from cheap bins.

I'm slowing becoming that "guy", too.
  • Options
    JCBJCB Posts: 51
    rebis said:

I'm slowing becoming that "guy", too.
    I am getting there myself. Unless it's work related, I'm perfectly happy with trades now.