Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Spoiler Tags

I posted this in the Doctor WHO thread, but since spoilers are applicable to other topics as well, I figured it's a subject that deserves a thread of its own.

This latest forum incarnation seems to lack a proper spoiler option, but there is an alternative method that seems to work in a pinch. To create a spoiler, set the font to the same color as the board's background (#efefef) using the code: SPOILER: <font color="#ffffff">Type your spoiler here!</font>

Here is the above spoiler code in action. To read it, highlight the text to the right of the word "SPOILER".

SPOILER: This is the hidden text.

If anyone knows of an alternative method (for instance a simple HTML way of accomplishing the same task), please chime in.

EDIT:
Here's an alternative method of writing spoilers.
Copy the following code:

↓↓↓↓↓↓
</FONT></b></td><td width=4></td><td> <a title='Darth Vader is Luke´s father.' class=body_con href=http://index.html> Spoiler (hover cursor over this text to view).</a> </a>

Substitute Darth Vader is Luke´s father. with your spoiler. APOSTROPHE'S KILL THE CODE but you can use an accent symbol (´)in lieu of an apostrophe. The symbol is in the sample code so one can easily copy and paste it if needed.

The result:

Spoiler (hover cursor over this text to view).

Comments

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited September 2012
    Note: most posts employ a slightly off-white background. For those substitute #ffffff with #efefef (you may need to go back and edit your post with the correct color code). For example:

SPOILER: <font color="#efefef">Type your spoiler here!</font>

Here is the above spoiler code in action. To read it, highlight the text to the right of the word "SPOILER".

SPOILER: This spoiler uses a gray font.

As a general rule of thumb, if you are starting a new thread and are posting a spoiler in the initial post, then use the white spoiler code (#ffffff), for most other posts use the gray spoiler code (#efefef).
  • Options
    Update: The gray quote box background is slightly darker than the #efefef color the board normally employs. For posting spoilers that will appear in quote boxes, use font color #e2e2e2 in liu of #efefef.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm looking into a couple HTML spoiler option alternatives. I may periodically edit this particular post while I test them. For now, please ignore any future edits I may make to this post unless instructed otherwise. My previous posts in this thread contain valid spoiler methods, so feel free to use them.
  • Options
    awesome!, Thank you for the info
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Maybe I'm alone. But accessing the site on my mobile device like I normally do, highlighting your spoiler didn't work for me. I couldn't see what you had written at all.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    My mobile device is strictly a phone. I'm afraid all my testing is being done on an old Mac laptop. I'm still looking into alternative solutions. A comic book forum/geek forum really ought to have a reliable and easy means to safely post potential spoilers.
    I'm still looking into other methods.

Note: I may periodically test HTML-based spoiler tags.
    Please ignore any text that appears below the arrows.
    ↓↓↓↓↓↓

• Options
    edited April 2013
    Here's an alternative method of writing spoilers.
    Copy the following code:
    ↓↓↓↓↓↓
    </FONT></b></td><td width=4></td><td> <a title='Darth Vader is Luke´s father.' class=body_con href=http://index.html> Spoiler (hover cursor over this text to view).</a> </a>

Substitute Darth Vader is Luke´s father. with your spoiler. APOSTROPHE'S KILL THE CODE but you can use an accent symbol (´)in lieu of an apostrophe. The symbol is in the sample code so one can easily copy and paste it if needed.

The result:

• Options
    edited May 2013
    When posting an image that contains potential spoilers, I suggest posting a link to that image instead. However, should you wish to highlight the fact that the image might contain spoilers. One method would be to upload an image that clearly indicates spoilers, then highlight the code for the image. Once highlighted, click on the URL link button from the edit menu which will allow you to link that picture to another picture.

For example:

Feel free to use my spoiler graphics. However, if you do, I ask that you reload them to whatever image hosting service you use. The reason for this request is because if we all used the same spoiler graphic URL, that image link would eventually exceed the allotted bandwidth offered by the free image hosting site I use.