Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Y: The Last Man

2»

Comments

• Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310
    edited July 2014
    Revisiting this thread if anybody still reads it. I'm in the BKV spotlight panel at sdcc and he said:

1. The rights have reverted to him and pia.
    2. Whoever picks up those rights has to also repay new line their costs
    3. He says he would like to see it as a tv show
    4. He has worked in TV production very recently, so perhaps understands the art of the possible.

Suck it david_d!! ;)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited July 2014
    Much as I respect bumping an old thread for a "suck it" ;) I never said it couldn't be possible as TV. In fact I think I said it could in my last post on here. I'm just pointing out that there are a lot of barriers around cost and demographics that may make it a hard sell to anyone that doesn't have an HBO budget. (Unless they just want to shoot the whole thing in Hungary and have it look cheap). And the fact that New Lines development costs would need to be paid means that a TV production would already start with that much less to spend.

Which is not to say BKV and PG won't want it to happen. Or that it can't happen. But I think it has some chips stacked against it.

Personally, I wouldn't have minded a trilogy of films. And of course if it was an HBO series or even miniseries, where the budget would be high, and the content could be aimed at adults as was the original story, that would be ideal.

But I would hate to see it as a neutered watered down network series. Where stories like "Safeword" would play like an episode of Law & Order:SVU.

So, we'll see. I'm sure you'll keep us posted ;)

In the meantime, if anyone wants the real thing, read the books!
  • Options
    Komic_BrewKomic_Brew Posts: 15
    Yes!!! although it would differ a lot from the comics, since they'll have to cut the length of the whole adventure and all the adventures in between...
  • Options
    I am pleased that this could end up as a TV series. I feel like that is the best way to go (especially with Mr. Vaughan's experience and connections in the medium)
  • Options
    TrevTrev Posts: 310

@David_D -- just revisiting this for old time's sake. :)

Only took a decade and a pandemic to bring it to us!

Cheers!

-Trev

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

@Trev

I know, right?! Thanks for finding this.

Please don't tell 10 Years Ago Me that I haven't watched any of it yet. (But I do plan to).

In a funny synchronicity, I also knew that it was really happening (at least, the pilot) when I got a call from a casting director to submit for a non-speaking bit in the pilot. From the description, it was one of two dads with a daughter who die in the event. Even though I haven't done background work in years, I submitted for it right away (I didn't get it) because hell yeah I want to die in the Y:TLM show.

I'm told that visual didn't make the final show. They may have even changed their mind on it as a shot (it sounded like a pretty heartbreaking idea, a little kid seeing both their parents die in front of them at once).

I will admit, part of what is holding me back from watching it yet is that I hear it is very good, but also grim. And as I get older (and, maybe, the longer I've been a parent) the less apt I am to engage with live action stuff that is grim and harrowing. Especially the last few years. Last summer I went to start a re-read of Sandman, which I had not read since when it was first getting published. That page in the first issue that Death is in, with the baby in the crib who asks her, "But is that all there was? Is that all I get?" Oof. Just shook me. The kind of thing I would read right past as a teenager. Nope. That was it. Stopped that re-read. Saving that for some lighter time. So even though I'm glad that Y got made (and as a series rather than a feature), and especially glad it got made with Vaughan's involvement, especially at a point when he's made a lot of TV already . . . I think I might save it for a lighter time.