Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I had a feeling, a hunch, but I wasn't going to put money on it.
  • Options
    When I heard there was going to be a death, I kind of had Charles pegged.

1) He hasn't died for a while
    2) Since Morrison left, Marvel seems to have done everything they can to use him being morally twisty as a "shocking" plot twist.
    3) He hasn't really played a part in the books for a couple of years.

My opinion? Leave him dead until they get someone who wants to write him as a hero. I'm so bored with "You THINK he's a hero, but look at this horrible thing we're retconning into his past!"
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    Charles' death has felt telegraphed for the last few issues so I was hoping they were going to pull a fast one and actually have Magneto bite it. Not that I have anything against Xavier as a character but I hope dead means dead for a change. Gorgeous art though.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I thought it was a great issue. And the art in this issue is gorgeous, especially on the part of color artist Laura Martin. This series has definitely had a slow start and some lags, but it seems to be ending strong.

As for who it was- given how much Xavier has been an extra appendage for years, I think I agree with Bendis' quote that he will mean more dead than he has alive in awhile.

I just hope that they don't kill Cyclops, too. That would be too easy of an out. More interesting to have him alive and smeared with this. And more interesting, given what we know of the upcoming Bendis X-Men series, for the younger, innocent Scott to have to confront what this one has become.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I kinda figured it was coming - how better to show just how far off the res Scott has gone in terms of the X-Men's mission than to kill the person who's vision he was allegedly (and wrongly) trying to make happen? And given how they've built Cyclops over the past few years, it's really the only way it could end. You can't just have him realize, recant, and say "My bad." And if you kill him, you lose the storytelling opportunities of him having to come to grips with the fact that he killed his surrogate father and basically made human/mutant relations worse than Magneto ever did.

But telegraphed as it may have been (and for long as it has been), it certainly didn't rob the moment of its power. They wanted to make this story matter, and they found a hell of a way to do it.

I enjoyed the way they brought Hulk into it too, at last. Cap going hat-in-hand asking for help shows you just how far things have gone. And I like that he's the one of the very few people alive that Hulk would actually say yes to, come to think of it. That bit about Steve having respect and giving Hulk his space actually reminded me a lot of their relationship in the movie.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Coipel is a monster! Beautiful!
  • Options
    @LibraryBoy I loved that opening with Cap and Hulk, too. For all the times that Bendis gets dinged for being too talky, when it is time for an earned scene to completely rely on dialogue, he is one of the best.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    will he stay dead past the epilogue?

I didn't see it coming just because I thought Xavier was just brought back recently (not a normal x-men reader) so I thought he had just be back so they wouldn't kill him. Killing Hulk would've been more interesting to me (still not that much of an X-men reader)

Even though I really thought Cap was talking to the Watcher and asking for help.
  • Options
    @Krescan I imagine, especially with the quotes in that Newsday article, that he will definitely be dead for at least a little while. I don't think this will be like Bucky in Fear Itself.

I mean, of course, it is funnybooks, so I'm sure he'll be back someday*, but it makes sense for this to stick for awhile. Not only for the fallout on Scott, but also because- with the time traveling original X-Men soon coming in the Bendis/Immonen All New X-Men, dramatically those characters will be more at sea if Prof X is dead. They will come to a time where the person they would turn to first is not there, which makes for a better set up.

*Though sometimes things stick for longer than we expect. Let's be honest-- a lot of us thought that AvX would be the thing that brings Jean Grey back, and unless that happens next issue, then we were wrong on that one and her death is going on 10 years now.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Krescan said:

will he stay dead past the epilogue?
    Even though I really thought Cap was talking to the Watcher and asking for help.

So did I!
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    This issue marks the end of Scott & Emma as a couple.
    Thank God for that. Loooooooong time coming.
  • Options

Yeah, I don't see them snuggling any time soon after that kind of beat down.