Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Reboots and changes

Sometimes I feel like I am the only comics fan who finds Character and continuity important. I hear many people say that ALL they care about is that it is a good story. If i felt that way I would probably stop reading comics because all my time would be taken with reading literature in novel form. I love to read comics BECAUSE of the history and characterization. Am I odd to think that giving anyone a red and blue webbed suit and powers does not make them spider-man? and when Peter Parker is made to do something that goes against how his character has been written for years just to fit the story the writer has planned we should accept it and not complain just because it is well written. I don't just want to read "comics" I want to read spider-man, Captain America, etc, and if their attitudes and actions change too quickly and drastically I feel like they cease to be the same character that i have come to enjoy. I'm going to end my rant now and see what you guys have to say on the matter.

Comments

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    The beauty and the curse of continuity is that you have more than fifty years of character development for some characters. After a while that will become a burden to even the strongest writer. Iron Man continues to be associated with alcoholism based on a story written more than three decades ago. Superman has to be in love with Lois Lane, and no other dame will do.

Quick changes are jarring, no doubt. This forum was awash and wringing their collective hands when Peter Parker sold out his marriage to keep Aunt May alive some years back. We swore we'd never read another Spider-Man comic ever again. A damn shame, because there were some great Spidey tales to come out of that reboot. The New 52 has certainly polarized some of the fandom, but I'm reading Aquaman and Wonder Woman for the first time on a regular basis and loving them.

The cop-out answer is if you're looking for those old stories that made you fall in love with the character, they're still there for you. Weak sauce answer, but there's a ring of truth to it. There's over four decades of Thor, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. stories that are still fun and compelling reads.

Even characters who don't have a long and storied history have their fans. I love me some Amethyst, but this new series doesn't look quite like what I remember, and it may not be anything like it at all. I'm still giving it a day in court, though, and who knows? I might enjoy it.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited September 2012
    I would also suggest that if you want tight, clear continuity, your best bet is creator-owned books (including the ones that use work for hire talent, but are still tightly overseen by the original creator, like the Hellboy/BPRD line, or one of the original authors, like the Fables line). When a property is still in the hands of the creator, then you can expect a level of brand integrity and control over the intent and tone that is rarely matched by the long-lived, often expanded to the breaking point corporate properties.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    I agree 99%. I think fans have swung a bit too far the other way nowadays in condemning / shunning continuity. Continuity is a big part of the glory and appeal of comics. Its called serialized entertainment for a reason. Thats where our personal investment in the characters and stories come from. Thats what makes it a sort of special club for just us readers. At the same time however I totally agree you cant be a slave to continuity and change is essential.
  • Options
    I don't mind change, if the writers would have killed off Mary Jane i would have little to no problem. but having Peter make a deal with the devil to save his aged aunt goes against most of what has been built into the character to this point. look at the hulk he has changed many times but it has usually been done well. Aquaman became angry and bitter but it made sense because someone killed his son and he had his hand gnawed off. as for creator-owned books that is not always a good fit for me because when it comes to comics i only really dig the more mainstream super hero titles. if i want horror,sci-fi, or fantasy i turn to books or movies. I love Walking dead but have no desire to read the comics, and find even titles like Animal-Man or Sandman boring and uninteresting. part of the appeal of comics to me is the serialized storytelling and strong continuity, not to mention people in brightly colored tights doing bad ass stuff. I fall in love with the characters themselves, I have never followed or chosen to read a book because of who is writing or drawing it. with me character and history are two of the most important ingredients in super hero comics.
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    For me story is king but that said ignorance of the any characters core principles will pull me out of the story. What I really miss continuity wise is the little nods in books to events in another comic. For example when the casket of ancient winters was opened in Simonson's Thor run it started snowing in other Marvel books. No big company wide crossover just an acknowledgment that all these stories were happening in the same universe. The 11 year old me loved that back in 1984.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited September 2012
    I loved DC Pre-Crisis, Post-Crisis Superman (Byrne) all the way up, death, return & marriage all the way up to Flashpoint on Superman & some other books. I enjoy mid 70s to 80s Marvel a great deal, Amazing Spidey, Marvel Team Up, Uncanny X-Men (Claremont-ize), Sensational She-Hulk & Marvel Saga long maxiseries. Now comics are like okay, whatever. It is like the thrill is gone away from the big 2 comics companies. A lot of it is still good just lost its magic. Indie comics like Saga, Fatale, Criminal, Usagi Yojimbo, etc have the exact opposite reaction from me. I want more dang it, give me more indie goodness NOW! Vertigo has the spark alive w/ Fables & Fairest but I'm going to collections soon w/ those two series & American Vampire is kicking all kinds of comic tail.

I still enjoy comics, looking & reading them 30 years later. They are just changing leaving me behind to try new stuff or reread old stuff in collections aka Batman Knightfall tpbs & the upcoming COMPLETE Death & Return of Superman Omnibus (all the issues) in 2013.

Matthew

PS
    I can't wait to read the wedding of Cyclops & Phoenix tpb for the 1st time as a DC fan getting into more X-Men.

• Options
    When I was six, I was given a huge stack of comics by my babysitter. She had two sons—one graduating from high school, the other in high school—and either they didn't want them anymore, or she thought they were too old for them. Regardless, I ended up with 150–200 comics, less than a quarter of which were superhero titles. I had a lot of Harveys, Archies, war comics, etc., and the superhero books I had were pretty random. But I read them all... repeatedly.

As I grew up, I never bought one particular title; I just picked up whatever book on the spinner rack looked the coolest that month—and quite often the coolest book was a reprint title. The Batman in Brave & the Bold wasn't exactly the Batman in Detective. The Captain America in Marvel Super-Action (the reprint mag) wasn't exactly the Captain America in Captain America. But it never bothered me as long as the story was cool.

I'm still the same way. If the story is good, and the artwork is good, I’ll read it. But if a new writer or artist comes on board, and the quality drops—or the regular team just runs out of steam—I’ll just find something else to read. Yeah, there are certain characters I’m attached to more than others. Like, I'll give any new Aquaman series a shot, but if it’s not doing it for me, I’ll drop it and hope for something better next time. And I read just as many, if not more, indy titles than superhero titles.

Characterization is important to me, but not on the level you’re talking about. As long as Batman is driven by a desire for justice, doesn’t carry a gun, uses his brain as his most powerful weapon, and wears a utility belt, I’m good. I can enjoy the 1950s campy Batman (or the TV Brave and the Bold Batman) just as much as the 1970s Darknight Detective Batman, just as much as the “Batman: Year One” Batman. They all have different personalities, but the core of the character is there in each case. As long as Aquaman is king of the seven seas (or at least has abdicated or been removed from the throne) and can talk to fish, I’m good. I can enjoy Bob Haney/Nick Cardy’s family man Aquaman just as much as Peter David’s angry, brooding Aquaman, and just as much as Kurt Busiek’s fantasy-driven “is he Aquaman or isn’t he?” Aquaman. As long as the core values are there, and the finer points of characterization are consistent within the storyline, I say bring it on.

For as much of a comics history buff as I am, continuity doesn’t matter all that much to me when it comes to the Big Two. The histories of those characters are simply too long and rich—and told by too many different voices—in most cases. Continuity has to be somewhat fluid for things to make any semblance of sense. Take Batman, for instance. He’s been around for 75 years, but all you really need to know about his continuity is that his parents were murdered before his eyes when he was a child, he swore to avenge their deaths, he trained to the point of his physical and mental peak, and he donned a cape and cowl to inspire fear in the criminals he tracks down. That’s all you really need to know to be able to enjoy any Batman story written at any time in the character’s history. The rest is just window dressing. Yes, a beautiful curtain—say, Batman making Robin his ward and training him to fight crime because he saw himself in young Dick Grayson’s tragedy of having his parents murdered before his eyes—can make a room much more interesting and attractive, but it doesn’t affect its functionality.

In a lot of ways, I feel that a character’s continuity varies from reader to reader. Not many of us have read every single story of a long-standing character’s existence. So our perception of that character’s continuity is shaped by the stories we have read—or have been told about either by friends or message boards, or through reading historical books and magazines, etc. And, obviously, not everyone’s perception is going to be exactly the same. And I understand what you say about jarring changes, but I look at that as a problem with story continuity, not character continuity, which is much broader in scope.
  • Options
    Also I don't understand using a reboot to make it easier for new readers to take to your books. with marvel I could slowly patch in the history as I was able to acquire older issues, yet with DC i had no idea, as a kid why all of the things i saw contradicted each other until years later when I had a Fuller understanding of Crisis, which I never had a desire to read back then due to the confusion. filling in the history and searching out back issues is part of the fun. Just recently I got a few trades of the flash from the library but could not finish them because i felt that they didn't matter anymore. I wanted to read the stories that mattered. so now I feel about everything post Crisis to new 52 that I thought about everything pre-Crisis.
  • Options

Also I don't understand using a reboot to make it easier for new readers to take to your books. with marvel I could slowly patch in the history as I was able to acquire older issues, yet with DC i had no idea, as a kid why all of the things i saw contradicted each other until years later when I had a Fuller understanding of Crisis, which I never had a desire to read back then due to the confusion. filling in the history and searching out back issues is part of the fun. Just recently I got a few trades of the flash from the library but could not finish them because i felt that they didn't matter anymore. I wanted to read the stories that mattered. so now I feel about everything post Crisis to new 52 that I thought about everything pre-Crisis.

Back in the early days of comics, publishers felt (and rightly so at the time) that their readership turned over every six or seven years. In other words, kids typically read comics from the age of six or seven until the age of twelve or fourteen. This way of thinking lasted through the ’70s and even into the ’80s until the direct market expanded. So as far as DC was concerned, if something in Batman contradicted something from ten years earlier, it was no big deal. No one reading the book would know the difference.

When the Marvel superhero line (re-)started up in the ’60s, they had a very small number of titles and only one writer, so it was very easy to keep a strong, tight-knit continuity going. They weren't able to expand their line until 1969, and by that point their continuity was part of their DNA, plus they knew they had a strong readership on college campuses, so, unlike DC, they maintained a tightly controlled continuity as long as possible. But with more expansion and years and years of stories, things eventually get bogged down.

See, I have a little trouble understanding why someone would choose to not read a comic based on the idea that it “doesn’t matter.” Do any comic book stories really matter in the grand scheme of things? In the immortal words of writer/editor extraordinaire Archie Goodwin, “Shit, man, it’s only comics.” This was not spoken as a disparagement. Goodwin loved comics, and loved creating them, but he saw them for what they are: an artform; a medium of storytelling; and, at the basest level, entertainment. And that’s pretty much the way I see it too.

I'm not saying you’re wrong for thinking the way you do, and I know you’re far from the only person who does. But if you were enjoying the story, why stop reading it? To me it’s like eating half a piece of pie and saying, “Man, this is really good pie, but they’re changing the recipe next week, so I’m not going to finish what’s on my plate.”
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458

I don't mind change, if the writers would have killed off Mary Jane i would have little to no problem. but having Peter make a deal with the devil to save his aged aunt goes against most of what has been built into the character to this point.

I would not goes so far as saying it is against his character, he did trade a life for a marriage.

For me continuity is important and it is the main reason I read as many titles through good times and bad times and probably why I read mostly Marvel. I am old enough to remember when DC had no real continuity and then embraced the idea, only to try to wipe it clean with the original Crisis. Since then I have only picked up hand full of runs from any DC titles where in the same time I have not missed any issues of my core Marvel titles (Spider-Man, Captain America, Iron Man, FF, Avengers) When money became an issue DC was always first on the chopping block because I had no history with any of their characters. Right before The New 52 I was getting the most titles from DC that I ever had at any other time but when they introduced the New 52 I did not look on it as "Oh Boy a chance to get on the ground floor of DC characters" I looked at it like "Here We Go Again" and ended up getting less titles then I was before the New 52.

I know a lot of people wish that Marvel would do like DC and wipe everything clean. They like the idea of no history so it would make it easier for them to jump onto new titles. Writers like the idea because it would make their job easier do but I cannot stand the idea. If Marvel ever did that it might be the one thing poverty and 90's comics could not do...drive me away from comics.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    There's way too many (long) comments to go through (I have a Wii date with my son), but I've always liked continuity. I believe it makes the characterization stronger because it references specific things about his/her past. However, not every storyline is good (Clone Saga, OMD, etc.) and so I would be okay with a slight ret-con or soft reboot.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited September 2012
    Continuity is kind of important to me but not as much as consistency. A character who has fifty years, or more, of history makes a tight continuity pretty much impossible. However, who a character is is strengthened over time.

I've always enjoyed Keith Giffen's CBR article on continuity vs consistency and I think he hits the nail on the head.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=15750
    Consistency dictates that a character behave in a manner consistent with his or her history, personality, whatever as established. Superman doesn't act like Batman doesn't act like the Hulk and so on and so forth.

Continuity dictates that a character come equipped with a datebook so his or her whereabouts on any given day can be determined then doggedly adhered to, that any and all events told must be aligned just so. If "Action Comics" Superman was shown to be in Metropolis on Wednesday, then how is it he's show to be on Rann in the "Superman" book? Continuity demands that be dealt with.

Consistency dictates that a character's previous appearances be acknowledged within the context of the individual title. Mirror Master was turned to glass? Pick him up from there and run with it.

Continuity demands that a character's previous appearances fit into an overall, rigid timeline. How long was Mirror Master glass? What events passed during that period? How can he appear in the Flash after being glass for a month when Green Lantern's had only a week's worth of adventures during the same period? Continuity demands I read every DC book that arrives in my comp package (even the Rucka stuff! ) because God forbid I set a story in Cleveland and not acknowledge the fact that Geoff's got the JSA tearing up a section of the city that month.

Honestly... Does anybody really care?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited September 2012
    What Giffen calls Consistency, I call Continuity. What he calls Continuity, I call Anal Retentiveness.

Actually, that’s probably what he calls them too, when fans aren’t listening.