Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1275 Talkback: Previews

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited September 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Yes it's Previews time once again. We go through the September Previews for items shipping beginning in November. (1:06:19)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    I'm going to beat @Caliban and @Flintlockjaw to it. The highlight of this month’s Previews for me is Judge Dredd: The Complete Brian Bolland (pg. 148).
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited September 2012
    My Little Pony? For real??? I really enjoy Katie's Gronk webcomic but as a guy you don't pick up a My Little Pony comic. I will just order & read Judge Dredd #1 & pretend that was the CGS indie monthly selection instead.

Matthew
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I'm not going to be able to listen until Monday, besides My Little Pony, (which i will be reading with my daughter) what are the picks for the month?

My daughter wants to check out The Adventures of Augusta Wind. My son and I will be grabbing Transformers Prime: Rage of the Dinobots. Got to give Judge Dredd a try also.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    edited September 2012

I'm going to beat @Caliban and @Flintlockjaw to it. The highlight of this month’s Previews for me is Judge Dredd: The Complete Brian Bolland (pg. 148).

Interestingly his most famous Dredd page has just surfaced on comicartfans.

Someone owns the Fist of Dredd, and it's not for sale.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=935276&GSub=8067
  • Options
    Did anyone else notice in the DC section how bad the Liefeld art looked for Deathstroke and Hawkman? Holy crap!! Was that bad!!!

And some of the Marvel Now! doesn't look very good at all.

Captain America in Dimension Z doesn't sound like a good idea at all.
  • Options
    Allred has no style of his own? Really? Really?!! He's a big reason I'll be picking up FF. I just wish he was doing Fantastic Four instead. Not a big Bagley fan.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    @Greg

Journey Into Mystery #646
    Justice League Dark #14

Sadly, I'm not going to play along for this months off the rack. I'm loving JL Dark but behind in trades. My DCBS order is too high right now, I had to shave off stuff I really wanted. I can't justify MLP in the budget. Not much of a Brony here.

Good episode though. I always listen to the previews episode a few times. Once at work as a prelim, then again at home while browsing the Previews and DCBS. It always ends with my wife wondering what my problem is when she sees the DCBS charge hit the bank account.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited September 2012
    I liked Allred's recent issue on Daredevil. I mean it isn't wildly awesome but was still nice to look at.

Matthew
  • Options
    DCBS hooked me in with the marvel bundle, I can't believe how much I'm spending. I'm waiting until December solicits come out though, if it double shipping again on the books I'll have to decide which ones I want to fit into my budget.
  • Options
    As much as you all support Matt Kindt, you have failed to mention his turn on Frankenstein, Agent of S.h.a.d.e. It's one of DC's best books. Pure comic joy. And, you all really need to check out Prophet, from Image. Mind blowing! Hands down, the best sci-fi comic out right now.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Thanks for the episode guys! Like someone mentioned above though, I guess I won't be following the Marvel/DC/Independent Off-the-Racks picks this month: JLD? Lost interest after 4 or 5 issues. Journey Into Mystery? Never had any interest. If they'd put it as a back-up in Thor THEN I might be interested. MLP: Well, I don't have kids and my nieces are too old now.
    Okay, I'm not finished making out my list yet, but before I heard about the DCBS Marvel bundle I only had 9 Marvel books on it my list. I'm sorely tempted to get the bundle but then I'd also have to add Hawkeye, First X-Men, Daredevil, to the new list. So, basically I was only getting 6 of the 18 bundled comics. Hmm, the total (including DCBS discounts) for the 9 comics is only 14.93, so if I pay 33.91 not including Hawkeye/First X-Men/Daredevil....), it might not be worth it for me. Oh, well....and anyway, do I really wanna get 21 Marvel books? I'm only getting 14 DC, 1 Dark Horse, No IDW this month, 2 or 3 Image, and that MASKS book. 40 books would be about my average, but the last couple of months I've been a bit below that.
    Hey wait--Whoa! I'm assuming PANTS is getting the bundle plus at least Daredevil! Pants reading 19 Marvel books??? WOW!
    Nice to hear Bryan again (but his and Mike's Allred dislike is getting a bit old...and anyway, I like Allred's style. YES, he does have one!).
  • Options
    Probably getting my iPad next month but hard to pull the trigger for $4 a pop.
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    edited September 2012
    I'm sorry, but I'm not going to sit idly by while someone compares Mike Allred's artwork as that of "a sixth grader". That would imply that he has a poor sense of human anatomy, perspective, panel layout and storytelling which Allred clearly does not. The man has been professionally trained and worked in the comic industry for years now. He comes from the perspective of artists such as Bruce Timm, Alex Toth, Steve Rude and many more which use a minimal about of line work to maximum effect. And Mike you can you possibly say the man is Ape-ing someone? Has anyone who has been reading comics ever looked at a piece of Allred's artwork and not known it was him? He has SUCH a distinct style. You don't like him, fine. But you cannot discredit the man's talent and his number of fans.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    there are no little ponies over here.....
  • Options
    Stirring the pot.

He he,

Bry
  • Options
    abuddahabuddah Posts: 133
    So if I were to say Sergio Argones has the poorly constructed doodles of a 4rth graders notebook, that's a healthy discussion on the medium of comics? My kingdom for Peter Rios...
  • Options
    I think that everyone who listens to the show knows that I love hyperbole.

I hate Allred's art. To me it does look like a fourth grader drew it. But I understand that some people really like it. I understand that he has good storytelling. But that doesn't mean I have to like it.

So I go on a rant about how awful his art it. That's what I do. That's who I am. If I didn't do that for the last seven years, CGS wouldn't have been the same show. I'd argue that it wouldn't have been as good of a show. My rants have sparked good debate and listener passion.

Would Peter have countered my argument? Absolutely. But he wouldn't have said that I couldn't feel the way I do about Allred.

Bry
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Good to hear you back, Bryan, even if we do disagree on the artistic merits of Mr. Allred. :D But I do think that he's an acquired taste, and that his work fits some projects better than others. For his own material, Madman and the various Atomics books especially, it works really well because that always had a very surreal, pop art feel anyway. X-Force/X-Statix was always a decent fit, too, because even though it was supposed to take place in the regular Marvel 616, it always felt far enough removed from it that New York City might as well have been his own Snap City.

With some of the more mainstream stuff, though, particularly that most recent Daredevil, it tends to take me right out of the story. Sometimes his characters seem lack weight in what would be real space, and the coloring of his wife Laura (which, again, on their creator-owned stuff I love) sometimes seems to make everything so flat that I'm consciously aware that I'm viewing two-dimensional objects, which can be a real barrier to accessing and accepting the story.
  • Options
    That Masks book sounds interesting... I've yet to read much from Dynamite that really excites me (though this Tarzan kick I'm on right now makes me wonder if I should backtrack and check out Lord of the Jungle), but that line-up of characters from the brush of Alex Ross earns a look.
  • Options
    If I may:

For the first time, I am in Previews (along with friends of the show Rob Anderson and Joe Sergi) with the first issue of Indie Comics Horror #1

Six 8-page stories revolving around ... horror. 48 pages total for $4.75
    or $2.61 @ DCBS (45% off)

And for those going through their LCS, it's on page 228 of this month's PREVIEWS from Aazurn Publishing. Diamond Order Code: SEP120728

Thanks. I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion thread.

chris
  • Options
    @libraryboy. Lord of the jungle is a fine book. I would recommend it.

@everyone else- I am so glad that bry is taking the heat for the Allred thing. I guess no one heard me agree. Lol
  • Options
    AprecheApreche Posts: 7
    edited September 2012
    You guys are all judging ponies with only watching 5 minutes or half of an episode. How would you think of me if I said your favorite comic sucked after I only read two pages or half the pages?

If you want to knock MLP:FiM, that's cool. Not everyone in the world loves ponies. But at least give it a legit try before you do so. You think I wasn't also hesitant when I started watching? But after 5 episodes in a row, I couldn't let go.

My personal suggestion is that you watch either the first two episodes of Season 1, the first two episodes of season 2, or season 1 episode 7. Those are all episodes with fantasy adventure quest storylines that any geek will enjoy, pony or not. I swear to god, they are using the D&D Monstrous Manual to choose characters for this show.

And Murd. Not having the HUB is no excuse not to watch the show. I don't even have cable. I've watched it both on YouTube and Netflix streaming. You can buy it on iTunes. You can also download it illegally. This is the most accessible show in the universe.

Now, I know you are a luddite, and are going to say you want to watch it on your TV. Then you should take a spare computer and plug it into your television. Alternatively you can pre-order the DVD box set. Also, I don't know if you still have an old tube TV, but this show was made for HDTV. If you watch it any other way, you'll miss most of the magic.

My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic: Season One DVD Box Set
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Apreche said:

You guys are all judging ponies with only watching 5 minutes or half of an episode. How would you think of me if I said your favorite comic sucked after I only read two pages or half the pages?

If you want to knock MLP:FiM, that's cool. Not everyone in the world loves ponies. But at least give it a legit try before you do so. You think I wasn't also hesitant when I started watching? But after 5 episodes in a row, I couldn't let go.

My personal suggestion is that you watch either the first two episodes of Season 1, the first two episodes of season 2, or season 1 episode 7. Those are all episodes with fantasy adventure quest storylines that any geek will enjoy, pony or not. I swear to god, they are using the D&D Monstrous Manual to choose characters for this show.

And Murd. Not having the HUB is no excuse not to watch the show. I don't even have cable. I've watched it both on YouTube and Netflix streaming. You can buy it on iTunes. You can also download it illegally. This is the most accessible show in the universe.

Now, I know you are a luddite, and are going to say you want to watch it on your TV. Then you should take a spare computer and plug it into your television. Alternatively you can pre-order the DVD box set. Also, I don't know if you still have an old tube TV, but this show was made for HDTV. If you watch it any other way, you'll miss most of the magic.

I have watched about 5 or 6 episodes of MLP and it didn't appeal to me. The only reason I watched that many is cause a friend of mine's wife is an animator on it. To me at least it is just another show created to sell toys. Now that type of cartoon can be good,but this one didn't appeal to me at all.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm actually afraid to check out MLP. Pretty sure I have the Brony gene (I absolutely love Lauren Faust's Super Best Friends Forever shorts on DC Nation, for instance), but the last thing I need right now is another fandom I take way too seriously (comics, Doctor Who, MST3K, Star Wars, a little Trek, some of the Whedon stuff, Godzilla, etc.).

Plus, I have a 7 year old son... I would lose such cred with him! :D
  • Options

Good to know. I've been picking up some of the 70s DC series by Joe Kubert lately and enjoying those (as well as a 100 pager that reprinted some of the Russ Manning Sunday strips), but I was curious to see how a more modern take would be. I'll check it out. Thanks, @MikeGallagher!

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Good to know. I've been picking up some of the 70s DC series by Joe Kubert lately and enjoying those (as well as a 100 pager that reprinted some of the Russ Manning Sunday strips), but I was curious to see how a more modern take would be. I'll check it out. Thanks, @MikeGallagher!

I love the 70s Tarzan comics. The 70s Filmation cartoon is also fun.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Apreche said:

I would say Adam is not the type to stream movies (I don't know if he's a YouTube watching guy either.) I don't know if he has an iTunes account. If he did, I could stand behind behind not buying a movie, TV episode/season, or song there's no guarantee I'll like.

Although I'll be getting & reading the MLP book to support the segment, I won't be watching the show. I've grown deaf to TV shows at this point (I still haven't watched Young Justice or Green Lantern.) Besides Burn Notice & sports games, I really don't have a drive to get invested in shows any more. I've got the whole series of Sarah Michelle Gellar's last show on TiVo and still haven't gotten around to watching an episode.

M
  • Options
    Murd's not going to stream anything while living in Stone Harbor. He uses a Verizon My-Fi for his internet connection.

Perhaps when he's back at home he can youtube a few episodes.

Bry
  • Options
    Anyone else using DCBS notice that Avengers 1 is available to purchase? Should I order it this month or next month when it is solicited, or will it even be offered again?