Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Murd's Time Bubble Talkback: The Eighteenth Time

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited September 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
The Time Bubble goes into full reverse, as Murd spends an entire show reviewing comics from well before 2000! The challenge of the Man-Bat! The befurring of the Beast! And the million-dollar debut of... Squirrel Girl??? Plus a double-fistful of classic Silver Age reprints, and even a few Quick Pops for good measure. (1:51:48)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Nearly two hours of Time Bubble goodness. Looking forward to listening. :)
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Nice I know what I will be listening to tonight when I do my 4 mile walk.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Great stuff murd. Considering I'm not a fan of Superman you've really enticed me with that 80 special. I will have to keep an eye out for that one.

Personally I love the format at the moment. I think you should continue to talk about whatever you've read since the last episode, irrespective of when it's published. I love that each episode could be about literally anything.

Keep up the good work!
  • Options
    I love the Time Bubble as always, Adam.

I second the emotion above: You should talk about whatever you've read lately that strikes your fancy.

That said, I personally do have an interest in comics published between 2000 and 2006 or so, since those were the years when I wasn't reading (comics). So it's always a treat when I learn something about that era based on what you've just read.

But I'm sure I'll continue to enjoy the Time Bubble no matter what.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Yeah Murd, it's hard to imagine villains like Puppet Master, Dr. Clever, and Mister Who as being "The World's Most Dangerous."
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Great episode Murd. Loved how it was an extra long one.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    It takes a certain kind of man to compare 80 Page Giants to elephantiasis and mean so in a complimentary way, and I for one am glad that Adam Murdough is that man.

Also props for throwing "sesquipedalia" in there, the source of one of my favorite throwaway Phineas & Ferb gags. =D>
  • Options
    Good show Adam. These episodes are a real pleasure even when I'm not familiar with the comics in question. Please don't change the format. I like the fact that you can talk about anything. In fact you could read out a telephone directory and I'd probably still listen
  • Options
    100% agreement with monkey010101.
  • Options
    Hey, Murd, fun show as usual. I always like hearing about the comics I read as a kid. I think you were hard on Frank Robbins, though, especially accusing him of plagiarism. He wrote and drew a lot of those Detective Comics in those days; I have a ton of them. I'm guessing he probably laid out the cover and whoever drew it used the layout. It's possible he drew it and someone (maybe Nick Cardy) inked it. I saw one site say Michael W. Kaluta drew it, which I can't believe because it looks nothing like Kaluta. Unless the inker, supposedly Cardy, stripped all the Kaluta-ness out of it. Anyway, I don't see the guy pissing off fellow artists by stealing from them.

I actually really like Frank Robbins, but I thought a lot of his Batman stuff looked extra rushed. All of his stuff looked rushed, actually, because of his style. I wonder if it was the way Batman was colored then; the blues of his cape and cowl may have been too bright. If he'd been colored more in the vein of much of the 90's and today it may have worked better. I really liked his Shadow and Invaders stuff, although they're very different. I had to laugh when you said "I wanna say he drew some issues of 'The Invaders,'" because I think of him as the Invaders artist. Pretty sure he drew most of them, and I thought they were great. But he didn't ink himself, I don't think, so they're much different from his DC stuff he pencilled and inked.

Keep on keepin' on!
  • Options
    Great show as always time master. As to your question of the format I personally enjoy hearing about older comics which I have a greater chance of not having read myself although I do enjoy your opinions on more "recent" comics as well. Perhaps at least one old and older comic per episode with more issues of whatever strikes your fancy.
  • Options
    Just popping in to add my adoration and thanks for another Time Bubble. I love hearing you wax poetic on old comics (whatever relative age the comic may be) and look forward to the next one, sir.

Thank you,
    chris
  • Options
    Just popping in to mention that I also liked the wabac machine taking us to a more distant history that the regular distant history.
  • Options
    Adam, I listened to the Time Bubble this weekend and as usual I loved it. Your presentation makes comics that I never thought I'd enjoy sound interesting. I really enjoy listening to you work through your to be read pile. Keep up the good work and the Time Bubble flying.
  • Options
    This was an awesome episode and enjoyed the new format. All the stuff covered was very interesting, never thought Squirrel Girl would be something I would listen through but you held my interest and have me looking her up! Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Hi Murd, just listened to Ep. 18....kinda jumped in after not listening for awhile. Since I get my comics about a month late, I can't listen to many of the CGS regular episodes due to the possibility of hearing spoilers, so I've turned to you and Jamie's Essentials to fill the gap! First off, as others have said, in terms of the format I think you can play it as you see it. I just like hearing your opinions on ANY comic! I have to say though, in this particular episode when you talked about comics I HAD (but got rid of to pay for grad school) it makes me want to hit the online stores and get them back again! Oh, if only I had a way to get to those type of flea markets places you mentioned! AND yeah, Squirrel Girl is AWESOME. I'll have to try and find that pic of Daniel Corsetto somewheres. :-)
  • Options
    I apologize for posting here, but the comments for Episode 13 have apparently disappeared into the innertubes. I'm surprised that Murd hasn't read more Tom Strong, as the entire series is a tribute to the great comics of the past. As it happens, issues #11 and 12 were my personal intro to the series, and they inspired me not only to pick up the other issues of the TS saga, but to go back and read the Black Terror stories of the 1940s, which are terrific and yes, he is something of a psychopath, at least when it came to the Japanese in WWII. The cover to Tom Strong #12 is an homage to Justice League of America #22.

I'm actually surprised that Tom Strong doesn't pop up on more "greatest comics ever" lists. The individual stories hold up well as simple entertainment, but when you look at the way the series sums up the entire history of comic books, it's a staggering achievement.
  • Options
    Listened to the 18th episode and my notes are as follows:

1. The 80-Page Giants did not start under that title; they started as Annuals--Superman Annual #1, for example, was the first DC giant of the Silver Age. But a funny thing happened; people wanted to subscribe to the Giants and horror of horrors, the Post Office required a separate license (and more important, an annual license fee) for each magazine title published. So DC got the bright idea of naming the annual line "80-Page Giant" to get around paying an additional fee every time they came out with a new annual. Eventually, they got the even brighter idea of just incorporating the annuals into the regular numbering of the individual series with which it was associated, so they could drop the annual license fee for the "80-Page Giant" series.

2. Superman #227 was not an 80-Page Giant. Unfortunately it came out during the inflation of the late 1960s-early 1970s and so DC had trimmed the page count slightly, but ominously to 68 pages. Worse, they included advertising pages in the count; the original 80-pagers had no ads except for a few house ads.

3. Great point about Weisinger's desire to de-power Superman; he admitted that one of the problems with Supes was that he was so strong that it was hard to maintain drama, because we all knew that he was invulnerable and hence could not die no matter how dire the situation he found himself in. Cool to hear about the Weisinger Easter Egg; those are particularly rare in the Silver Age.

4. The Gold K story from Superman #157 is technically not the first appearance of Gold K. In an imaginary story from Adventure #299, Gold K popped up, and Weisinger alerted us in a closing panel that although the rest of the story was non-canonical, the new variation of Kryptonite was real.

5. What I love about the Superman ant story is that while it reveals the popular obsession with the horrors of nuclear war so common in the 1960s, the ants' motivation to spread the news makes no sense. Wouldn't the ants be thrilled that their species arose to the top of the food chain because of nuclear war?
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    I am a voice from your past.

I love CGS podcasts, and I am particularly fond of Murd's Time Bubble (and all things Murd, really) but I am only up to The Twelfth Time. Alas - all of you are from my far flung future!

How is life when you are?
    Is Ben Affleck the president yet?
    Do we ever get an Avengers movie?

As it will take me quite a long time to catch up to you in listening - and who knows, I may be too old and feeble to register my input by then - I couldn't wait to send my words of praise and thanks to Murd. I love comics both old and new, and I love the Time Bubble.

Very truly yours,
    BionicDave