Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1277 Talkback: Off the Racks

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited September 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Time for another round of Off the Rack reviews. In this episode we discuss Phantom Lady #1 from DC, Hawkeye #1 from Marvel and Archer & Armstrong #1 from Valiant. (1:05:29)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    So, I take you guys liked Hawkeye #1?
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    Hawkeye was wonderful. I loved everything about it. I did not read Archer & Armstrong. I did read Phantom Lady. I thought everything about it was weak from the cliche, generic bad guys to the art. Some of the expressions just seemed strange to me. Good episode guys. I love playing along at home.
  • Options
    There are actually many high quality books that have a Ka-Blam ad on the back that I enjoy more than products from bigger companies. Just sayin' ;)
  • Options

There are actually many high quality books that have a Ka-Blam ad on the back that I enjoy more than products from bigger companies. Just sayin' ;)

No question, Dan. I'd never deny that there are plenty of quality self-published comics on the market, printed by Ka-Blam and otherwise--but there's also plenty of amateurish drivel. I also agree that the Big Two release more than their fair share of sub-par comics every month. All I meant by my remark was that Phantom Lady #1 is a "bad comic" for reasons that I associate with indy superhero books produced by unskilled first-time creators; it wasn't the kind of "bad" I'd expect from creators with [most of] this team's levels of talent and professional experience.

• Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    I agree with the unanimous "buy" for Hawkeye! Awesome book! Like Mike, I remember "Hawk" as the type of hero that goes into bars uncostumed looking for information (Avengers #43, original series, I think?) so this was a great callback to that for me. As for Phantom Lady and Doll, like others I've order the next couple of issues, but I just hope it gets better! I didn't read A & A. Somehow, I missed this when you said your off the racks during the Previews Ep.