Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Wait didn't the first movie bomb?
  • Options
    I thought the first one did respectably well at the box office.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    The evil Smurfs are white? That is one slow news day from prompting a Fox News rant about how Hollywood promotes reverse racism. You mark my words.

Besides, everyone knows that evil Smurfs are purple, bite each others' tails, and shout "GNAP! GNAP!"
  • Options

I might be wrong but I thought it bombed big time in the USA but did OK overseas.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited September 2012
    dubbat138 said:

I might be wrong but I thought it bombed big time in the USA but did OK overseas.
    Well, it was second place in it's opening weekend, pulling in over $35M... did an approx total of $142,600,000 in domestic release, and a grand total of $563,700,000 worldwide... the production costs were $110M...

So, while that wasn't a bad domestic release, I guess I'd still have to admit that your assessment is essentially correct.

The overseas sales (where the Smurfs are far better known and accepted) certainly justified a sequel.

• Options

dubbat138 said:

Well, it was second place in it's opening weekend, pulling in over $35M... did an approx total of $142,600,000 in domestic release, and a grand total of $563,700,000 worldwide... the production costs were $110M...

So, while that wasn't a bad domestic release, I guess I'd still have to admit that your assessment is essentially correct.

The overseas sales (where the Smurfs are far better known and accepted) certainly justified a sequel.

Yeah I had heard it did great overseas. It seems in the USA the Smurfs are pretty much forgotten.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Yeah I had heard it did great overseas. It seems in the USA the Smurfs are pretty much forgotten.

Well, it was a popular European strip and had more resonance there. All we had was the Hanna-Barbera TV cartoon version which, while popular enough to run for a few seasons, didn't really strike the same chords with audiences here.

Personally, I'd like to see a big screen version of Asterix released here in the States; I know a couple of them have been made and released overseas, but I don't believe there was ever an English translation.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Well, it was a popular European strip and had more resonance there. All we had was the Hanna-Barbera TV cartoon version which, while popular enough to run for a few seasons, didn't really strike the same chords with audiences here.

Personally, I'd like to see a big screen version of Asterix released here in the States; I know a couple of them have been made and released overseas, but I don't believe there was ever an English translation.
    I was a kid when the Smurfs hit the USA. I remember the little pvc figures being huge. And the cartoon lasted from 81 till 90. But once the cartoon went off the air it seems the Smurfs got forgotten. I do remember in the 1st grade getting a book that collected the King Smurf storyline. I am assuming it reprints the European strip.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I still have some of my Smurf figures buried in a box somewhere. I actually dug the movie. Azaria was a great Gargamel, the cameos were funny, and they played up whole "smurf" angle on things.

I'll say it now...I'll watch the sequel.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Isn't "Evil Smurf" redundant?
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I still have some of my Smurf figures buried in a box somewhere. I actually dug the movie. Azaria was a great Gargamel, the cameos were funny, and they played up whole "smurf" angle on things.

I'll say it now...I'll watch the sequel.

Few years ago at a local auction I got a box of about 30 Smurf PVCs for $5. Most of them are in perfect shape.

• Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
  • Options
    Goth Smurf and Hipster Smurf.