Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New Podcast app for new iOS

KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
I don't like it.

Reason #1. Where's the show description? If I'm missing this and it's there somewhere, then reason #1 can be removed.
Reason #2. I was listening to CGS with the screen locked. I clicked the home button to read a notification that I heard come through. I must have double clicked it by accident because the play/FF/Rewind button for the mp3 player came up, which caused the podcast to just stop. If Apple fixes this, then you can also remove reason #2 and I'll be fine with the new app even if I don't really see the point to it. Is there a benefit to having it separate from the rest of the audio that I'm not aware of?

Comments

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Apple's free podcasts app is/was pretty terrible with lots of bugs and crashes.
    I eventually uninstalled it and went with a paid app to get it to work how I wanted
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Its very annoying. I shouldn't need multiple apps for my podcasts, music and audiobooks.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I saw the app but didn't bother touching it. I'm happy going into itunes on my computer, selecting the podcasts I want, and then putting them on my phone.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I saw the app but didn't bother touching it. I'm happy going into itunes on my computer, selecting the podcasts I want, and then putting them on my phone.

But you still need to use it to listen to them don't you?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Nope, I go into "Music," select "More," and then "Podcasts." They're all right there..no additional app needed.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Nope, I go into "Music," select "More," and then "Podcasts." They're all right there..no additional app needed.

You haven't updated iOS then.
  • Options
    I'm on my iPhone right now using iOS 6. Here is a screen shot of my phone when I open "Music" and select "more." Notice the podcast option?

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I'm on my iPhone right now using iOS 6. Here is a screen shot of my phone when I open "Music" and select "more." Notice the podcast option?

And my iOS6 iPad and iPhone are exactly as Kyle describes. I even got a little popup to tell me that podcasts in iOS6 are in the podcasts app.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Ok, then this makes me think that perhaps it has to do with what version of phones we are using. I'm on an iPhone 4. Are you guys on a newer model...though I'm not sure why it would matter.

I haven't put iOS 6 on my iPad 2 yet to see if it is the same.

Edit: I went into iTunes and read reviews for the app..not good. People say they were happy with having podcasts in Music. I'm not sure why I never got the new app when I updated. I got Passbook, Maps, etc..
  • Options
    I realized I need to download the app now because I can't download directly from the iTunes Store on my phone without the app. I can still listen to podcasts in the music app though ad I am using iOS6. Also had to so the same thing for the YouTube app.

I don't know why this needed changing at all, it was fine the way it was and now it's just a nuisance.
  • Options
    I already had the podcasts app installed from trying it out when it was launched. I wonder if that's the difference?
  • Options
    Gargoyle said:

I already had the podcasts app installed from trying it out when it was launched. I wonder if that's the difference?

Nope. Because I never downloaded it before I updated. And I'm using an iPhone 3GS, so mine is older, not newer.

And also.... I was listening to a podcast today and double tapped the home button again to see what would happen. I must have done something else before because the podcast didn't stop. It brought up controls for the podcast with a change. Instead of the FF and back buttons, it had a forward 10 seconds and a back 10 seconds button. I very much approve of this and it has changed my opinion of the app drastically.
  • Options
    Are you sure it's 10 seconds? When I play a podcast in music I have a forward/backward 15 seconds option..new since the update.
  • Options
    It might not be 10 seconds. But whatever it is, it's better than the "go back to the beginning of the podcast because you missed the pause/play button by an inch and have to go through the whole damn thing to find where you were at before" button.