Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Stephen King Release Dates Set!

luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
For all of you that are interested, Stephen King has finally revealed release dates for his next two books!

First comes Joyland, to be released 4th June 2013. This is going to be a crime novel, King said this regarding the book at a press conference "I love crime, I love mysteries, and I love ghosts,”.

Second comes Doctor Sleep the highly anticipated sequel to The Shining. This is due out 24th September 2013. I hope this lives up to The Shining, which was a great book.

Go to http://www.stephenking.com/future_works.html for more on both books.

Comments

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I still need to read his last crime novel The Colorado Kid.
  • Options
    It's ok. Not great. Still worth a read though. Its one of those ones u can get through in one sitting. They made a tv show called Haven based on that book. But that wasn't great either. Only saw the first few.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

It's ok. Not great. Still worth a read though. Its one of those ones u can get through in one sitting. They made a tv show called Haven based on that book. But that wasn't great either. Only saw the first few.

See I got a copy a few years back when most of the Hardcase series of novels were being cleared out. Want to say I paid maybe 50 cents for it. It and Duma Key are the only books of his I haven't read so far.

• Options
    Wow thats a bargain. Yeah I've got a handful or so yet to read. I love how most his books have a loose connection to the dark tower series.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

No. No you don't. It's from my favorite publisher, and it's the ONLY stinker they have published (and I am a big King fan). The book is a mess, and the TV series is much much better than the book.

• Options
    luke52 said:

Wow thats a bargain. Yeah I've got a handful or so yet to read. I love how most his books have a loose connection to the dark tower series.

See I started reading the Dark Tower series back when part 2 had just come out. And read each volume as soon as it was published. But I have been reading King's work since I was about ten so almost 30 years now.

• Options

dubbat138 said:

No. No you don't. It's from my favorite publisher, and it's the ONLY stinker they have published (and I am a big King fan). The book is a mess, and the TV series is much much better than the book.

Can't be any worse than Blaze,Tommyknockers or Rose Madder. ;)

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Or Gerald's Game..ugh!

A sequel to The Shining doesn't have me excited. I wish he'd just leave it alone.

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Or Gerald's Game..ugh!

A sequel to The Shining doesn't have me excited. I wish he'd just leave it alone.

Gerald's Game while not a great novel was better than the three I listed. But I got a theory that Gerald's Game,Rose Madder and Dolaries Claiborne were co written by King's wife.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Oh yes it can. The ending made me throw the novel in a lake. No lie.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Or Gerald's Game..ugh!

Gerald's Game while not a great novel was better than the three I listed. But I got a theory that Gerald's Game,Rose Madder and Dolaries Claiborne were co written by King's wife.
    I didn't mind Gerald's Game until it became amazingly clear on what page King saw the movie "Silence of the Lambs."
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Or Gerald's Game..ugh!

I didn't mind Gerald's Game until it became amazingly clear on what page King saw the movie "Silence of the Lambs."
    I've not read any of these ones yet, they're all sat on my shelf waiting to be read. I think I'll put these to the bottom of the pile by the sounds of it. Insomnia next on my list.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

dubbat138 said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Or Gerald's Game..ugh!

I've not read any of these ones yet, they're all sat on my shelf waiting to be read. I think I'll put these to the bottom of the pile by the sounds of it. Insomnia next on my list.
    Insomnia was really bad. I only read it cause it has ties to the Dark Tower series.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

luke52 said:

dubbat138 said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Or Gerald's Game..ugh!

Insomnia was really bad. I only read it cause it has ties to the Dark Tower series.

I'd really like to see the long rumoured third book in the talisman/black house series. Apart from the dark tower books Black House is my favourite King book. Unfortunately, i can't see it coming anytime soon.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

dubbat138 said:

luke52 said:

dubbat138 said:

Mr_Cosmic said:

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Or Gerald's Game..ugh!

I'd really like to see the long rumoured third book in the talisman/black house series. Apart from the dark tower books Black House is my favourite King book. Unfortunately, i can't see it coming anytime soon.
    Yeah a third book in the series would be fun. But I bet we get it the same time Clive Barker puts out the Third book of the art series.

• Options
    Never read any of his books. I've heard of him but never got round to reading anything.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Never read any of his books. I've heard of him but never got round to reading anything.

Start with "The Thief of Always". It is his children's novel and really well done.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    dubbat138 said:

luke52 said:

Start with "The Thief of Always". It is his children's novel and really well done.

agreed! Barker's childrens books are by far his best. they seem to convey all of his talent but are less...perverse. Magic in Barker's worlds seems inherently tied to bodily fluids blood, sweat, semen...the children's stories like Thief of Always (which is brilliant) and Abarat minimize that a bit. did the 3rd Abarat book ever come out?
  • Options
    random73 said:

dubbat138 said:

luke52 said:

agreed! Barker's childrens books are by far his best. they seem to convey all of his talent but are less...perverse. Magic in Barker's worlds seems inherently tied to bodily fluids blood, sweat, semen...the children's stories like Thief of Always (which is brilliant) and Abarat minimize that a bit. did the 3rd Abarat book ever come out?

I have not read any of the Abarat novels yet.But earlier this year at a library sale I got an Advanced Reader copy of "Abarat Absolute Midnight" for 50 cents. The only difference between this and the actual released copy is the artwork in mine is in black and white.

I am still waiting on him to release the third book in the Art series. The Great and Secret Show and Everville were really good. Plus there is the upcoming novel The Scarlet Gospels which is gonna have the cenobites and Harry D'Amour. Supposedly it is finished and he is looking for a publisher. But his bad health earlier this year might have hindered that. Not sure if you know but he slipped into a coma back in February of this year and was in it for 11 days. This was caused by a dentist visit where he got blood poisoning. He has had to cancel a few con appearances recently cause of his recovery from the coma. http://www.clivebarker.info/ is his official site and he is good about posting any news on it first.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Wow! that sounds terrible and frightening!
  • Options
    random73 said:

Wow! that sounds terrible and frightening!

Yeah,I am so happy I got to meet him years ago. I went up to his table at a con to get a UK printing of the Books of Blood autographed. He noticed my pack of cigs in my shirt pocket. And asked me if he could have one. Turns out he had overslept that morning and didn't have a chance to get any. I gave him my entire pack. Then he told the guy at his booth he was gonna take a quick smoke break and invited me to come with him. So I got to hang out with him smoking and just bullshitting for about 10 minutes. Super nice guy. No idea what he charges now for an autograph but back then it was $5. And he took the time to talk to every fan for at least a few minutes. Which is more than I can say for some other big name authors I have met.
  • Options
    Think I'll have to pick up Thief of Always. Sounds interesting. I'm always looking get into new (for me), talented authors.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Think I'll have to pick up Thief of Always. Sounds interesting. I'm always looking get into new (for me), talented authors.

After Thief of Always check out the Books of Blood. They are some of the best horror short stories I have ever read. But really outta all the Clive Barker books,novellas and short stories I have read none have disappointed me so far. Mr B Gone is another great novel from him. I just kind of wonder how it will work as an e-book. People that have read it will understand what I am talking about.

• Options
    @dubbat138 thanks for recommendations. My pile of books to read seems to be getting bigger by the second. Luckily that's never a bad thing!
  • Options
    luke52 said:

@dubbat138 thanks for recommendations. My pile of books to read seems to be getting bigger by the second. Luckily that's never a bad thing!

If you are a horror fan,there is some great authors out there that it seems lots of people haven't heard of. People like Jack Ketchum,Richard Laymon,Wrath James White,Edward Lee and Brian Keene. If you want some recommendations from these authors feel free to PM me.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

luke52 said:

If you are a horror fan,there is some great authors out there that it seems lots of people haven't heard of. People like Jack Ketchum,Richard Laymon,Wrath James White,Edward Lee and Brian Keene. If you want some recommendations from these authors feel free to PM me.

I am a fan of horror, any recommendations you can give me for those authors would be great. Like I said I'm always looking to get into new authors. I just wish I had more time to read everything I want, watch everything I want and do everything I need too!
  • Options
    luke52 said:

dubbat138 said:

luke52 said:

I am a fan of horror, any recommendations you can give me for those authors would be great. Like I said I'm always looking to get into new authors. I just wish I had more time to read everything I want, watch everything I want and do everything I need too!
    OK here's a few for each author.

Jack Ketchum-The Girl Next Door,Off Season-make sure to get the uncut version and his short story collection Peaceable Kingdom

Richard Laymon-The Woods are dark-again make sure to get the uncut version,The Cellar and Cut.

Wrath James White-Succulent Prey is the only book of his I have read but it is really good.

Edward Lee-Black Train,Flesh Gothic and if you can find it Header.

Brian Keene-Ghoul,Darkness on the edge of town and Castaways

In the USA all these authors use to/still work for Leisure books. So their books are not hard to find.