Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A plea to our U.S. friends

CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
Please go see Dredd 3D.
It's a great action movie. You'll have a good time.
Then tell your friends to see it.
We need some word of mouth buzz for this film.

And will we get a CGS review?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'll be going!
  • Options
    The things is...it's a great movie. If it was shit, regardless of being a Dreddhead....I would never recommend it. But it's not...It's incredible.

AndI'm going to see it again today!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I want to see this movie, but can't stand going to a movie showing alone and there is no possible way to get the misses to go with me for this one.
  • Options
    There have been two times that I have had an entire movie theater to myself - when I went to the first showing of The Shadow and when I went to see Amazing Spider-Man. Personally, I enjoy being the only one in the theater. I can talk to the screen, laugh as hard as I want and don't have to put up with annoying people.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Swiss and German fans have to wait until 11/15/2012 ~O)
  • Options
    This film is far more deserving of your money than a good number of recent genre films. Green Hornet, Green Lantern to name just two.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm going to try and get out sometime this week to see it. I'm trying to convince the missus that it'll be worth it, but she's a tough sell. She has promised I can have a kitchen pass to go check it out alone, though. :)
  • Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    I saw it last night and enjoyed it. Cool action movie.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Greg said:

I want to see this movie, but can't stand going to a movie showing alone and there is no possible way to get the misses to go with me for this one.

My wife won't go either but that won't stop me. :)

• Options
    sandmansandman Posts: 199
    Wow, I just looked it up and Dredd has a relatively low budget. Unfortunately its domestic opening weekend wasn't very good, but it could still see a profit if it has a nice run.

People should go see it. Its a good movie, and it looks as good or better than some other movies with double to quadruple the budget.
  • Options
    "Sure, movies are a business, and it's good to know what's making money and what isn't, but quality doesn't always translate to dollars. It's a sad fact that I'm often reminded of in times such as this past weekend when DREDD 3D didn't even come close to getting the respect or exposure it deserved.

This is a seriously bad-ass flick, especially for those of you who claim to be fans of comic book movies and/or action films. This is right up your alley, and the fact that a lot of you didn't go out of your way over the weekend to lend a good film such as this your support is a bit sad."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58560
  • Options
    For an r rated action comic based movie IN SEPTEMBER dredd is doing well. Remember folks, kids are back in school and we are going through the slowest movie month of the year!
  • Options
    I've planned on seeing this movie based solely on the fact that Olivia Thirlby is in it.
  • Options
    I'm not surprised it's not doing well. Americans don't know Dredd except for that film that Sly and Schnider did. I was going to watch it, but instead I'm going to see Looper.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Hellsfire said:

I'm not surprised it's not doing well. Americans don't know Dredd except for that film that Sly and Schnider did. I was going to watch it, but instead I'm going to see Looper.

What amazes me is how many people I know that liked the Stallone Dredd film.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

I also like it. It's a cheesy, fun film. No matter how bad the story was, I always thought Stallone played a most excellent Dredd. As good as the new Dredd looks, Karl Urban can't say "Law!" as well as Stallone or even Assante.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Hellsfire said:

dubbat138 said:

I also like it. It's a cheesy, fun film. No matter how bad the story was, I always thought Stallone played a most excellent Dredd. As good as the new Dredd looks, Karl Urban can't say "Law!" as well as Stallone or even Assante.

Outside of Rocky and First Blood I haven't enjoyed most Stallone films.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Hellsfire said:

dubbat138 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aaubVlhNK4
  • Options
    That is a perfect freeze frame.
  • Options
    I didn't "mind" the first one, but even then (many years before Flint and I would ever cross paths) I knew this wasn't "true Dredd". I liked the ABC Warrior. I thought they did a good job with it. It had Max Von Sydow, and your movie can't completely suck with Max Von Sydow in it. Even the Angel family was okay.

It was like the creative team knew what Dredd was and was about, but decided to go other directions with it (taking off the helmet, Rob F'n Schneider) in spite of themselves.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I didn't "mind" the first one, but even then (many years before Flint and I would ever cross paths) I knew this wasn't "true Dredd". I liked the ABC Warrior. I thought they did a good job with it. It had Max Von Sydow, and your movie can't completely suck with Max Von Sydow in it. Even the Angel family was okay.

It was like the creative team knew what Dredd was and was about, but decided to go other directions with it (taking off the helmet, Rob F'n Schneider) in spite of themselves.

Actually, No. They didn't know what Dredd was about or else they wouldn't have an ABC warrior in there. No matter how cool it looked and they would not have used the storyline they did.
  • Options
    Well, I knew something was up when Dredd (Stallone) took off his helmet. Up to that point I'd only read maybe four or five Dredd stories and even then I was like "don't think that's supposed to happen."

I thought they'd mentioned that they'd "unearthed" the ABC warrior or something along those lines.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Well, I knew something was up when Dredd (Stallone) took off his helmet. Up to that point I'd only read maybe four or five Dredd stories and even then I was like "don't think that's supposed to happen."

Ha! Yep. that was one of the most disappointng things about that awful piece of drek.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited September 2012
    As for the current movie, I'll catch it on DVD.

Who's with me?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    It doesn't make sense comparing the Stallone Dredd with the Urban Dredd - they are totally seperate things.

The first is a whacky and far off take on the comics. The Stallone version was released at the right time. Folks back then didn't know too many good comic adaptations for the big or small screen. It was something different and exciting. It was a Stallone event. If one forgets the source the movie is actually quite fun in it's badness. Or at least something one can't look away.....

The new "serious" version is more hardcore. It's like "The Raid" without the martial arts. It's close to the source. It's dirty and comes with top notch special effects. Awesome soundtrack and all. It's very fitting to our times. And while it kind of bombed at the US box office we all can agree that this movie will be a grower (an not a shower....)

There is room for both movies. Both deliver escapism from the harsh reality.

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Torchsong said:

I thought they'd mentioned that they'd "unearthed" the ABC warrior or something along those lines.

A couple of notes:

IIRC, Stallone fought the modifications to the uniform. He very much wanted it to be true to the source material. Ditto the helmet - however, the producers insisted that a big salary star needed to have full face exposure in order to justify the expense.

They didn't refer to them as ABC Warriors, but the Cursed Earth Saga did include a bunch of vaguely humanoid robotic soldiers (the Legion of the Damned) , which seemed to me to make the use of a war robot fair game.

Also for what it's worth, be thankful that it was Rob Schnider. They offered the part to Joe Pesci first.

• Options
    If stallone's dredd was Pesci and then deniro as dredd? Wow that would have been awesome
  • Options
    The Stallone 'Dredd' is the movie that Judge Cal had made in 'The Day The Law Died'.
  • Options
    Film critic Mark Kermode has talked about the time Stallone told him that the reason the Judge Dredd film failed, was because the first time he walked on set in costume, nobody laughed. He then realised they were going to make a serious film and not a spoof.