Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1279 Talkback: Comic Talk

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited September 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Amber Love joins us in studio to talk about the upcoming Super Hero event at the Comic Fusion store in Flemington, NJ on October 6th and 7th. We also touch on the settlement of the Robert Kirkman/Tony Moore lawsuit, movie news on Wolverine and Dredd 3D and more. (1:08:18)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    What is the big deal about 2000AD & Dredd 3D? I watched the Sly version of Dredd and liked enough. I AM THE LAW!!! If the actor that plays Dredd never takes his helmet off what is the freaking point. Don't sweat doing a Dredd 3D review on my count.

I'm glad that the Walking Dead lawsuit is dealt with & hope that Tony Moore got a heavy bag of money from it.

Matthew
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    mguy1977 said:

What is the big deal about 2000AD & Dredd 3D? I watched the Sly version of Dredd and liked enough. I AM THE LAW!!! If the actor that plays Dredd never takes his helmet off what is the freaking point. Don't sweat doing a Dredd 3D review on my count.
    Matthew

It is a great action movie which lots of comic fans will enjoy.
    2000AD is a big deal to us Brits and we would like to see the film do well.
    Over the years 2000AD has given you Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, Alan Davis, Brian Bolland, John Wagner, Alan Grant and many more.
    And Dredd not taking off his helmet has been central to the character for 35 years.

I'm guessing your comment was tongue in cheek and aimed at riling FLJ which is absolutely fine. We know he can take it! ;)
    But give Dredd 3D a chance - you might be surprised.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited September 2012
    Alan Moore is one of the greatest writers ever, Alan Davis & Brian Bolland superstar artists by far. But I am not hyped for the new Dredd film. Like Amber, I want to save my money for a real superhero movie that I am really interested in ie Superman Man of Steel. I want Brits, Americans & especially Flint Lockjaw to enjoy the film if they are interested in it. Just don't ram it down others throats that if you don't see this film you are not a "real" comics fan that is such bullcrap. Let people watch what they enjoy-- me included.

Matthew

• Options
    Loved being on again! For anyone that hasn't seen how Superhero Weekend has grown, here's recap I did of previous years: http://www.amberunmasked.com/recaps-of-njs-superhero-weekend-through-the-years/

Here's info about 2012: http://www.amberunmasked.com/shw2012-pressrelease/

Most of the auction items are already posted on the comicfusion site.

PETE MARSTON poses with our 2010 shirt.
  • Options
    2000ad is very important to comics. Period.
    And if there is a good comic book based movie, why not watch it? You would rather have more ghost rider because you are more familiar with this character? Why not broaden your horizons in comics and try new things?
    The influence of 2000ad on American comics is more widespread than you may think. Not only is the the training ground for a bevy of comics creators we all consider the tops in comics, but the characters for the books have influenced what is done here.
    I have been a fan of 2000ad since 1983. And I'm not one of the UK fen. I don't get the backlash/hatred for Brit books.
    Some marvel fans are guilty of this when they love captain Britain but never read or refuse to read his adventures from Britain.
    Why the hate guys? Why the dislike?
    Don't you want good comics? Or good movies?
  • Options

To whom are you referring? If it's the Geeks who were present for the recording, please provide the time of the episode where "hate" and "dislike" were used.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I'm hoping to see Dredd (non3D) in another week or 2. Plus, I've added a copy of the Casefiles volumes on my Amazon wishlist.

M
  • Options
    mguy1977 said:

I'm glad that the Walking Dead lawsuit is dealt with & hope that Tony Moore got a heavy bag of money from it.

Matthew

http://youtu.be/k80nW6AOhTs
  • Options
    mguy1977 said:

Like Amber, I want to save my money for a real superhero movie that I am really interested in ie Superman Man of Steel.

Amber actually said that. Wow. What a numbnut.
    http://youtu.be/Zv9rZdjv4Mo
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    This thread risks getting sidetracked into unpleasantness and taking attention away from the worthwhile cause of SuperHero weekend.

I started one of the threads asking people to see Dredd 3D, and for CGS to review it.
    It remains a polite request from your fellow comic book fans across the pond.
    That's all.
    Thank you for your attention.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    edited September 2012
    Pants said:

To whom are you referring? If it's the Geeks who were present for the recording, please provide the time of the episode where "hate" and "dislike" were used.
    I'm referring to the various posters on the forum.
    This has been building for a while in various threads.
    I don't get the 2000ad hate.
  • Options
    Caliban said:

This thread risks getting sidetracked into unpleasantness and taking attention away from the worthwhile cause of SuperHero weekend.

I started one of the threads asking people to see Dredd 3D, and for CGS to review it.
    It remains a polite request from your fellow comic book fans across the pond.
    That's all.
    Thank you for your attention.</blockquote

No unpleasantness meant. Amber can be insightful now and again...but I do question her geek cred when she says stuff like...you can still be a geek and watch it on TV. No...you can't.

Like you'd wait for the Avengers to hit TV or Iron man.

The fact is...if Dredd sucked, I can understand...but this movie has got some of the best reviews and positive feedback from any comic related movie.

• Options
    mguy1977 said:

Matthew

You crack me up. When Bruce Wayne becomes Batman...half his face is covered. When Tony Stark becomes Iron Man his whole face is covered. But you could be right...why go to movies where the main actors face is covered...I guess you won't be seeing any sooperhero movies anymore. I mean..they totally replace the actor playing the Hulk in 3d...what's up with that. That's eveything that's wrong with movies today.

• Options
    Glad to see Jamie and even Pants going to see it. Even if you guys think it sucks...at least your geek cred is intact. ;-)
  • Options
    1 N End of Watch ORF $13,152,683 - 2,730 - $4,818 $13,152,683 $7 1
    2 N House at the End of The Street Rela. $12,287,234 - 3,083 - $3,985 $12,287,234 $10 1
    3 N Trouble with the Curve WB $12,162,040 - 3,212 - $3,786 $12,162,040 - 1
    4 2 Finding Nemo (3D) BV $9,641,474 -42.2% 2,904 - $3,320 $30,175,449 - 2
    5 1 Resident Evil: Retribution SGem $6,701,803 -68.2% 3,016 +4 $2,222 $33,469,530 $65 2
    6 N Dredd LGF $6,278,491 - 2,506 - $2,505 $6,278,491 $50 1

I would not say that Dredd flopped, tanked, sunk.
    It's a comic book movie of a character that either A. the average american has never heard of or B. the average American only knows from the stinkified Stalone film.
    It is also a rated R film.
    AND
    this is September, the worst month of the year for films.
    Trouble with the Curve opening at $12 mil is not a blockbuster. Far from it.
    As kids are back in school and summer spending is over, any movie opening is going to struggle to get more than $3-$4 mil opening weekend.
    Given all the factors running against Dredd (notice I didn't mention 3D) It is doing solid business.
    Take that for what you will. It's not like I know this stuff.
    Oh wait..........

:D
  • Options
    I'd love to go see Dredd, but I honestly don't know when I have the time to do so. I could give up a couple of the five hours of sleep I've been getting a night, but that might not be wise. I'll see it eventually.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited September 2012

mguy1977 said:

Matthew

You crack me up. When Bruce Wayne becomes Batman...half his face is covered. When Tony Stark becomes Iron Man his whole face is covered. But you could be right...why go to movies where the main actors face is covered...I guess you won't be seeing any sooperhero movies anymore. I mean..they totally replace the actor playing the Hulk in 3d...what's up with that. That's eveything that's wrong with movies today.

Look the Sly version had Judge Dredd w/ a well known actor (Rocky & Rambo) helmet free for a part of the movie. This newer version has a "pure" version of Judge Dredd could be you for all I know playing in the main role as Dredd. I like in the Superman film there are two roles as the Man of Steel -- Clark Kent & Kal-El aka Superman placed on the actor & he has to do both roles well. It is a real challenge for an actor/actoress playing the hero & the regular person aka Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker, Diana Prince, etc... in a superhero film. I will see Dredd 3D in 7 months once it is on Netflix.

I hope you enjoy Dredd3D as much as I hope to enjoy Superman Man of Steel. Have fun!

Matthew

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Sorry flint but I don't understand how you can question someones "geek cred" on when and how they see a certain comic book movie. Everybodies lives are different, some don't have the means and time to go see every new comic book movie at the cinema when it comes out. The fact you may have to wait until it comes out on DVD or comes to tv doesn't make you any less 'geek'. I mean do you go to the cinema to see every comic book movie?

I'm a fellow Brit and do want to go see Dredd at the cinema. Unfortunately due to life being life I don't know if I'll get the chance to see it, but I'll certainly get the DVD when it comes out.

I know you're being tongue in cheek, but is there a list of geek rules I need to follow to be geek in your book flint??? :)
  • Options
    Superman is getting all sorts of things wrong just from looking at pics. Dredd is getting all sorts of things right just looking at picks.
    Also how do you not recognize the actor in a helmet?
    You can tell who an actor is by the way they move, how they sound, many many ways. The fact that Urban is not vain and a confident actor that he can shine while wearing a helmet speaks volumes.
    Helmeted people have feelings too.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    KyleMoyer said:

I'd love to go see Dredd, but I honestly don't know when I have the time to do so. I could give up a couple of the five hours of sleep I've been getting a night, but that might not be wise. I'll see it eventually.

Same here. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing it, especially since people here and elsewhere whose opinions I trust have said that it's good. I just have a shitty schedule that doesn't allow many opportunities to go to the movies, especially during the semester (and I'm on the verge of my two-weeks-of-research-and-writing-hell comp exam period on top of that).

But regardless of when I do see it, I have high hopes, and I've only ever read a handful of Dredd stories.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Sorry flint but I don't understand how you can question someones "geek cred" on when and how they see a certain comic book movie. Everybodies lives are different, some don't have the means and time to go see every new comic book movie at the cinema when it comes out. The fact you may have to wait until it comes out on DVD or comes to tv doesn't make you any less 'geek'. I mean do you go to the cinema to see every comic book movie?

I'm a fellow Brit and do want to go see Dredd at the cinema. Unfortunately due to life being life I don't know if I'll get the chance to see it, but I'll certainly get the DVD when it comes out.

I know you're being tongue in cheek, but is there a list of geek rules I need to follow to be geek in your book flint??? :)

Yes. See 'Dredd' and watch 'Doctor Who'. :-)
  • Options
    mguy1977 said:

mguy1977 said:

Matthew

Look the Sly version had Judge Dredd w/ a well known actor (Rocky & Rambo) helmet free for a part of the movie. This newer version has a "pure" version of Judge Dredd could be you for all I know playing in the main role as Dredd. I like in the Superman film there are two roles as the Man of Steel -- Clark Kent & Kal-El aka Superman placed on the actor & he has to do both roles well. It is a real challenge for an actor/actoress playing the hero & the regular person aka Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker, Diana Prince, etc... in a superhero film. I will see Dredd 3D in 7 months once it is on Netflix.

I hope you enjoy Dredd3D as much as I hope to enjoy Superman Man of Steel. Have fun!

Matthew

Actually, it's tougher to play a character that has his face covered than it is to play dual roles.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    The mandatory overtime at work is coming to an end before the weekend hits so I asked my dad if wanted to go see it and now he's on overtime this weekend.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

luke52 said:

Yes. See 'Dredd' and watch 'Doctor Who'. :-)
    What's Doctor Who... <:-P
  • Options
    Some more pieces from the art auction:

Batwoman and the Question by Ken Haeser:

Titans #49 page 9 by Barry Kitson:

The Avengers by Chris Giarrusso:

http://store.comicfusion.net/wonder-woman-day.html
  • Options
    That Batwoman is awesome!
  • Options
    mguy1977 said:

Matthew

I think where you really lose your argument here is that SlyDredd was not true to the character, but fell in line with the way you like your superheroes (ie without a mask.) If Superman was done in the same manner as CatBerry (ie only using the name) you'd be the first person to rally the troopers to boycott Man of Steel.

I'm not saying that you can't like Superman or SlyDredd, but you shouldnt critique a comic movie for sticking to the source material instead of what you like.

M

• Options
    Matt said:

mguy1977 said:

Matthew

I think where you really lose your argument here is that SlyDredd was not true to the character, but fell in line with the way you like your superheroes (ie without a mask.) If Superman was done in the same manner as CatBerry (ie only using the name) you'd be the first person to rally the troopers to boycott Man of Steel.

I'm not saying that you can't like Superman or SlyDredd, but you shouldnt critique a comic movie for sticking to the source material instead of what you like.

M

I think you'd like this movie a lot Matt. It's uncompromising.
  • Options
    If not this week, definitely next. The previews kick ass & I'm looking forward to getting the Dredd Casefiles to read about him.

The great thing about not collecting current comics, I can read old runs (Marvel's GI Joe, Transformers, Dredd, etc)

M