Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New CBS "Sherlock Holmes" show, "Elementary"

crash41crash41 Posts: 27
Watched the show Elementary last night. It's supposed to be an update of Sherlock Holmes in the modern day, but instead of modern-day London, it's in modern-day New York.
*MINOR SPOILER*
While the classic Holmes has a variety of idiosyncrasies, this Holmes is a former drug addict. He started his detective career in London, but due to some past indiscretion that involved drug addiction, he relocated to New York where this version of Watson, played by Lucy Liu, is his sobriety counselor. They keep in the fact that Watson is, or was, a doctor, but make no reference to Watson being a soldier of any kind.
*END SPOILERS*
I watched the show, but I can't say I liked it very much. I'd detail more of the story, but the story was so uninteresting, I can't for the life of me distinguish this from any other detective drama. This version of Holmes is less like Holmes and more like Adrian Monk, without the pathological fear of everything. I'll try to give it another viewing, but, to be honest, if you want a good version of Holmes in the 21st century, watch the BBC version with Benedict Cumberbatch.
I'd like to hear any comments about the show from the rest of the forum. Maybe you can persuade me to give it another few weeks or drop it altogether...

Comments

• Options
    I watched the first half-hour, found it an interesting performance, but, due to unrelated circumstances, fell off to sleep and missed the rest of the show. That is more a commentary on my physical stamina these days than it is of the show. I'll continue to watch a few more episodes.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    For those interested, the BBC production with Benedict Cumberbatch is called Sherlock. It's very good. Especially the first season. The end of season 2 got a bit weird with how they tried to show Holmes "deducing".
    As for Holmes. I think the show has promise, but it does get bogged down in typical American detective show muck. The "Monk" comment from crash41 is very good. I like that they added the "addiction" angle. The BBC show sidestepped this aspect of Holmes personallity by saying he was addicted to nicotine. A bit of a cop out.
  • Options
    Elementary was an intelligent oriented mainstream show. I hate Sherlock Holmes. I love Sherlock on bbc. It's the only version I have ever liked (other than baker street but that's something different to me). Elementary had Sherlock investigating more than deducing.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Elementary was an intelligent oriented mainstream show. I hate Sherlock Holmes. I love Sherlock on bbc. It's the only version I have ever liked (other than baker street but that's something different to me). Elementary had Sherlock investigating more than deducing.

Isn't the new show with Lucy Liu?

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

Yeah, she plays Joan Watson iirc
  • Options
    Gargoyle said:

dubbat138 said:

Yeah, she plays Joan Watson iirc
    Yeah I knew there was a reason I was skipping this show. Not a big fan of her.

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    This show doesn't do it for me.
  • Options
    As a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes (from the books, you know?), I found the show... okay.

It wasn't the best interpretation, and it certainly wasn't the worst I've seen.

Some of the changes for modern times made great sense, like the stint in rehab from use of drugs, as opposed to the original version, where such drugs were legal.

Changing Watson into a female... makes no sense within the reasoning of the show. The role of sobriety support, within the addiction community, is generally not made with the opposite sex. It just isn't, and that kinda bothered me from the start.

I'm not opposed to a female Watson, but this seems a bit forced. (Oddly enough, I would have accepted it more readily if they had just gone with the original idea of a returning veteran seeking a place to live, and moving in with Holmes to share the cost. In that situation, man or woman wouldn't really matter.)

There is nothing I'm watching opposite it right now, so I'll stick with the show for the moment.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    BBC > CBS

'nuff said.
  • Options
    Waiting for the Food Network to do their spin on Sherlock Holmes. They could call it "Alimentary," and he could use deductive seasoning.
  • Options
    *crickets*

Wow, Steve... just... wow.
  • Options
    Hey I thought it was funny. But it seems Food Network will air anything that is even semi related to food now. It has caught channel rot.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I thought it was an interesting show. I liked the circumstances that bring Sherlock and Watson get together. It's more or less your basic CBS procedural show which isn't so bad if you like that and fortunately for me, I do. I think Johnny Lee Miller is a pretty decent Holmes. I am still warming up to Joan Watson but I think as the season goes on, I'll warm up to her. I do like the dynamic so far but I think I need to see more to really get used to it. Overall, not a bad start to a series.