Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Question for those reading Legion of Super-Heroes and Legion Lost

Exactly how closely tied are these two series to the Nu52? My understanding when this whole reboot happened was that the Legion was sort of disconnected from the alterations to the timeline. Essentially, the history Johns re-established during his run of Superman and Levitz' issues pre-Nu52 continued without any change.

I know the Legion Lost crew is stranded on Nu52 Earth, but are they aware that the timeline has been altered? Or do they act like this past is the one they've always known?

I miss reading the Legion, and I'd like to jump back onto the books, but my disdain for the reboot remains, and if they're tied to the new 'history', then I'm going to have to continue to pass.

Comments

• hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    My take is that the post-threeboot Legion (retro-Legion) was already the DCN52 timeline. So far, Legion has been pretty much unscathed, though there are some differences as seen in the recent Legion Lost #0 issue. Superficially, your reference to the Johns Legion seems to be pretty accurate.

Legion Lost, on the other hand, is a mess. DeFalco has been, IMO, utterly horrible to the book and characters. I'd refer to him as a despoiler or defiler, but that would be an insult to Lord Foul.

Short answer, the LL crew don't seem to recognize that they're in an alternate time stream, but they're awefuly close to the events that are happening and I don't believe that any of characters present are really known for their love of 21st century history to be able to recognize when an event deviates. Legion characters make few, if any references to the distant past. There was one reference to a flashpoint effect making time travel unstable/impossible, but I believe that may actually have been in the series immediately pre-flashpoint.

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I've really enjoyed the Legion book, and didn't notice many discernible "hiccups" from the preN52 series to the current series. I'm also reading Legion Lost, although it is a more "difficult" read for the reasons Hauberk mentioned (nice Thomas Covenant reference there!) :)

I'd say pick up Legion without fear. It pretty much follows where "When Evil Calls" left off and there's some serious crap going on (good crap, I better add!) that I can't talk about for fear of spoilers. Legion Lost? It's up to you.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    hauberk said:

Legion Lost, on the other hand, is a mess. DeFalco has been, IMO, utterly horrible to the book and characters. I'd refer to him as a despoiler or defiler, but that would be an insult to Lord Foul.

Nicieza wasn't very good, either.

The book's been a mess from the get-go.
  • Thor_ElThor_El Posts: 136
    I may have to give the regular LSH book a try then. It's a shame LL seems to be that bad. There are characters featured in it I've always liked.
    Thor_El said:

I may have to give the regular LSH book a try then. It's a shame LL seems to be that bad. There are characters featured in it I've always liked.

Yep.

It's disappointing that Levitz finally found a way to make Tyroc work after 40 years, and then he was shunted off into the hands of the Hack Squad to be ruined again.
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

I thought that Nicieza may not have had a very good handle on the characters, though I was able to write that off as New 52/retroboot (don't necessarily know these characters very well unlike their original versions), he was writing a fairly consistent story and seemed to know where he was planning in taking the story. DeFalco hasn't even had that.
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

I thought that Nicieza may not have had a very good handle on the characters, though I was able to write that off as New 52/retroboot (don't necessarily know these characters very well unlike their original versions), he was writing a fairly consistent story and seemed to know where he was planning in taking the story. DeFalco hasn't even had that.
    You're kinder than I.

Admittedly, I was biased against the title from the get-go, having a long-standing dislike of "Legionnaires stranded in the past" stories. And time travelers chasing time travelers to save the future is a REALLY tired concept.

But to me, it has seemed very un-Legion-y from the first issue.
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

You're kinder than I.

Admittedly, I was biased against the title from the get-go, having a long-standing dislike of "Legionnaires stranded in the past" stories. And time travelers chasing time travelers to save the future is a REALLY tired concept.

But to me, it has seemed very un-Legion-y from the first issue.
    Oh, don't think that I like the time travel stories any more than you do. I was just prepared to accept it for what it was... the only place to get Tyroc, Wildfire et al. So long as the story being told is/was passable and internally consistent, I'll be satisfied. I think that Nicieza did that (and I'm not sold that he was responsible for the time travel aspect as much assigned it). The characters may not have been consistent with what we knew from previous incarnations, but there wasn't enough time to determine if that was a product of the New 52 or Nicieza not having a handle on the characters. DeFalco /may/ have a handle on some of the characters, but lacks in everything else. End result, I have to give Nicieza the higher score.

hauberk said:

End result, I have to give Nicieza the higher score.

Agreed. Nicieza at least gets a positive number.

Numbers don't go low enough to score DeFalco's cliche-ridden crapfest.
    Apparently a bitter Liefeld just twittered that Legion Lost is going to be cut. The guess is he's trying to scoop DC's NYCC announcements or something. Long as the regular Legion title hangs around, I'm cool with it.
    So long as they can bring in someone with the capability to write a story that doesn't just throw away the Lost Legionnaires, I can live with it getting cut. I'd hate to see Wildfire, Tyroc and crew getting relegated to backup players in something like Ravagers.

Two additional observations:

1 - DeFalco is not the person to write this story. (duh).
    2 - I'd rather see DeFalco get cut than the book get cut. Feel free to use whatever interpretation of the verb that you choose.
  • spidspid Posts: 203
    edited October 2012
    I have only read Legion Lost and I do not have a connection to Legion beyond the cartoon. So far I have liked what they have done with the book. I think Pete Wood's art has been good for the entire run. I am not sure what other people's expectations for this book were, but for me it has delivered.

I have not continued to read all of the books in the new 52, but I did read every Number 1 and I thought Legion Lost was better than 90% of them.

To answer the original question the team from the Legion Lost are aware they are in an altered timeline. One of the reasons they could not get back to their timeline is because it was hard to get past the "Flashpoint event".
  • If the Legion Lost title gets dropped, I won't miss it too much (though I did like seeing Tyroc being used as a regular team member) -- it just didn't feel much like a Legion book, despite the presence of Legionnaires. Fortunately, the other Legion book is starting to feel more and more like a proper Legion title again, and if they have to have a second title (like reviving Legionnaires), it should be to serve as a supporting title and not as an orphan off on its own.
    spid said:

I have only read Legion Lost and I do not have a connection to Legion beyond the cartoon. So far I have liked what they have done with the book. I think Pete Wood's art has been good for the entire run. I am not sure what other people's expectations for this book were, but for me it has delivered.

I have not continued to read all of the books in the new 52, but I did read every Number 1 and I thought Legion Lost was better than 90% of them.

To answer the original question the team from the Legion Lost are aware they are in an altered timeline. One of the reasons they could not get back to their timeline is because it was hard to get past the "Flashpoint event".

I don't disagree with Pete Wood's art. My issues are really three-fold:

1 - Nicieza, while telling a competent story, didn't have a handle on the characters. This is especially true if we assume that they were pre-divergent timeline characters.

2 - DeFalco, possibly has a slightly better handle on the characters, but doesn't seem capable of producing a quality script. His editorial staff seems to be even less qualified.

3 - The book, in the grand scheme of things is almost entirely irrelevant.

It's barely relevant to the main Legion book (maybe makes sense - the characters have been forced by necessity to move past their grief).

It's irrelevant in the larger DCN52 - so much so that the first arc was relegated to Minnesota in order to keep it isolated from the rest of the world (and consequently to keep the whole Hypertaxis event from becoming something that would, by necessity, need to be addressed in every book (something that should still happen as Minnesotans travel to other places as well) as people begin to undergo hypertaxis more and more frequently in every setting for a DCNU52 book. Some if this is simply a gripe about the utterly flexible idea of linewide continuity - we want to sell more books - let's have a crossover! vs. Green Lantern showing the JSA cleaning up post Sinestro Corps war with no analagous mention in JSA. Bringing it back here - does Wildfire's anti-energy really not trip any kind of warning bells for any of the Firestorm Protocol entities or Captain Manhatt... er, Atom?

It's irrelevant to itself - The team, so utterly bent on protecting the Earth and keeping themselves undercover, have decided to relocate to New York and just ignore the virus that was mutating poor unsuspecting Minnesotans?

hauberk said:

It's irrelevant to itself - The team, so utterly bent on protecting the Earth and keeping themselves undercover, have decided to relocate to New York and just ignore the virus that was mutating poor unsuspecting Minnesotans?

This was due to Minnesota's dearth of ethnically-stereotyped "hip" semi-criminal street-kid sidekicks.
    I come at it in different perspective because I do not care about DC. I do not have an overall attachment to the Legion. So when I read these characters they seem true enough to themselves. So I care more about the scenario of a lost group of time travelers instead of the characters themselves.

My disappointment with the title is more a general problem with The New 52 which is I am not sure they thought everything out before the book started. That being said the hook of the book is still there for me.
    @spid: Have the characters seemed consistent to you throughout the series?

I really am curious what this book looks like to someone without the years of Legion baggage I have.
    WetRats said:

I really am curious what this book looks like to someone without the years of Legion baggage I have.

Okay, here I is! :)

Despite my years of reading these funnybooks, I've only had a very cursory interest in the Legion until the past couple years. Don't get me wrong, I know who is who for the most part, and have my favorite characters, but I never actually read the book with any regularity. Now I'm pretty much gobbling up whatever I can find.

What I've figured out thus far is that with Legion, I like stories that feature characters I like. Legion Lost doesn't have many characters I've ever cared much about. I like Dawnstar, and Gates, but that's really about it. Was never big on Timber Wolf or Tyroc. So the book hasn't been a "must have" for me in the way that the regular Legion book has.

I did pick up the collected trade, and will read it soon to see if there's any better coherency when it's read as a complete story. Who knows? I may end up liking some of these characters before it's done.
    Torchsong said:

Was never big on Timber Wolf or Tyroc.

What's frustrating is that no writer ever had a handle on Tyroc. He was a slapped-together token character with an incredibly fuzzy (even for Legion standards) power. After years of being stuck on monitor duty when someone remembered he existed, he was written out of the story. With Levitz' return to the book, in the post-Legion of Five Worlds, prematurely-post-Flashpoint environment, suddenly Tyroc was back and cool. His powere were useful, and his origin had been changed but not yet explored. Then *poof* banished to the 21st Century and grafted with a generic 90's Marvel hero-with-a-secret "personality".
    WetRats said:

Yup, they seem consistent to me. I did read the HC of the previous Legion Lost title, but only Timber Wolf was in that title.