Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1284 Talkback: Listener Feedback

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited October 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
After a health update from Jamie D we jump into some listener feedback. Topics include the Dredd movie, where to start with Dr. Who, what to name your newborn child and more. (1:06:08)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    Jamie I hope you feel better. Matt congratulations. Pants and Mike, keep on keeping on. I'll catch Dredd on dvd I'm sure it will be there pretty soon. I could never really get into Dr. Who never really my deal.
  • Options
    @DAR rock and roll, my friend! What scifi tv does your bad self dig?
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Sorry you won't make it to New York, Jamie. And quit hogging all the pneumonia! There's plenty for everyone.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Hang in there Jamie!
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

I know you're not asking me but I'll answer anyway. I don't have much time to watch TV, but I make time for Fringe every week. I know some of you have said on the show that you didn't care for it based largely on the pilot. And admittedly, the entire first season is pretty much a rehash of the X-Files. But where the show is at now is not even recognizable as the same show (and I'm pretty sure that's by design). Keep in mind Deemer was the one saying the most that he couldn't get through the premiere, but he'd still dislike the show because I know how much he hates time travel, parallel universes, alternate realities, and all the other stuff that is the basis for the show, but... well, (SPOILERS) - Olivia Dunham is basically Jean Grey. She's died multiple times, she has crazy super powers when she's pissed off and she has two genetic offspring - one of which was born to a version of her from a parallel universe but he no longer exists since that timeline got rewritten and the other is only about 10 or so years younger than her despite being born when she was in her 30s.

I'll get off my soapbox now... I just had to point that out because that's a damn fine sci-fi show that doesn't get the love that it's due. I understand the general public not caring for it because it's a show you have to watch every week and pay attention to in order to keep up (I have a co-worker who watches the show every week and she's still confused with the new season's jump to 2036 and last season with the new timeline she was confused with who knew what and what happened and what didn't etc), but I don't get why more sci-fi and especially comic book fans don't love this show. What I find interesting though is that for a show that is so "comic book-y," the comic books that have been based on the show have mostly sucked.

I was going to try some Doctor Who until I saw the price of the DVD boxed sets. Maybe I'll check out some on YouTube when I get the chance. And keep in mind that I haven't listened to this episode yet so I don't know what you're going to say about Doctor Who on the show.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I have gotten to see Dredd since we recorded the episode. It was great. I still prefer TDKR, but I can't wait to get the Dredd Casefiles vol 1.

I also realized I forgot to round out my "Wes" story by mentioning its part from Wes Welker & part from Wesley Wyndam-Price from Angel. He became my favorite character during season 4.

M
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
    Keep the faith Jamie!

I did not see 1 ad/commercial for Dredd. The marketing campaign must have been pretty weak if even I didn't notice anything.

Speaking of names: I had a student in class who said her uncle named his twin sons Ben and Luke. Another friend named his son Parker after Spidey (his favorite character). I always say his kid should be glad the Dad's favorite comics character isn't Jughead.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128

Right now nothing is really on my plate. I gave Revolution a try though I'm not sure if that would qualify as scifi but was left kind meh watching it. And Fringe I'll watch eventually since the whole thing is ending, maybe a Netflix watch instantly. But right now my dramatic watching consists of either a procedural like a Criminal Minds or I really liked Elementary. And when they're on Justified or Breaking Bad.

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    JaxUr said:

Keep the faith Jamie!

I did not see 1 ad/commercial for Dredd. The marketing campaign must have been pretty weak if even I didn't notice anything.

Speaking of names: I had a student in class who said her uncle named his twin sons Ben and Luke. Another friend named his son Parker after Spidey (his favorite character). I always say his kid should be glad the Dad's favorite comics character isn't Jughead.

It is strange I barely watch any TV but saw the trailer for Dredd at least 8 times.

• Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    I grew up watching the dashing Jon Pertwee and the eccentric Tom Baker as The good doctor. That's my era and I'll always have a place in my fanboy heart for it. Of the new doctors, I loved Christopher Eccleson. He provided the perfect combination of oddness and gravitas, with a pinch of danger which hinted at darker things. I thought David Tennant was okey, but too over the top for my taste. I've not entirely warmed to Matt Smith personally, but I'm glad he's found favour with the fans.

Just saw DREDD. Found it to be an excellent adaption of a comic I loved as a teenager. It's a fairly low budget film by Hollywood blockbuster standards, but doesn't look it. The cast all acquit themselves well, particularly Karl Urban, who surprised me by how good he was in the title roll. Dredd is a one note character, but Mr Urban was pitch perfect. The visuals were impressive, with the slo-mo sequences making wonderful use of the 3D. As a long time Judge Dredd fan, I couldn't help but wonder..."Why couldn't they have used 'Uncle Umps' for the designer drug?"

Glad you're feeling better Jaime.

• Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited October 2012
    Help! I'm trying to upload an image of Dredd I've drawn but I have no idea what I'm doing! Could somebody give me a hint?
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Love classic Who. I was blessed to have a couple of local PBS stations broadcast the show. Still, it's been a long time since I've watched many of those episodes. I should find them online and get reacquainted.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    kiwijase said:

Help! I'm trying to upload an image of Dredd I've drawn but I have no idea what I'm doing! Could somebody give me a hint?

Upload your image to an image hosting site like photobucket, copy the link url and paste into a reply. Then highlight the url and click the little image button in between the C and the link button at the top of the reply box.

Like this
  • Options
    Heh. You posted a comic no one reads featuring an insigificant character.
    Heh
    :P
  • Options
    Anyone wanting to start watching Dr. Who, I strongly suggest you start with David Tennant's doctor. Yes, the logical start would be to jump in with Eccleston (the first doctor of the most recent run), but I found both the stories and tone too light and cheesy. Yes, cheese is an aspect of Dr. Who, of course, but I found the first year of the re-start too much. Plus Eccleston's version of the Dr. just fell short for me. Not that he acted poorly, but more that his interpretation just missed with me.

Start with the tenth doctor, Tennant, and you will be more than happy.
  • Options
    Frankly, as much as I've liked his successors, I much prefer Eccleston and his run, and I was sorry that his run was so short. He had a quality much similar to Tom Baker where he could suddenly run off with a monologue and give it just the right level of gravitas.

Not that I haven't enjoyed Tennant or Smith. They've all been great. But I have just that small preference for Eccleston.
  • Options
    JaxUr said:

Keep the faith Jamie!

Or his kid would have been called Forsythe!
    As in Forsythe P. "Jughead" Jones.