Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Listeners' Off-The-Rack

I suppose this is kinda similar to the "What I read - 2012 Edition" thread on the old new forums, but this title I think encourages more discussion rather than listing. Try to keep it spoiler free and if you must use spoilers, tag them and keep them minor.

I just read up to issue 6 of Detective Comics. I have to admit that I'm like Pants and am mainly buying this book because I have been for decades, although I don't really think it's as bad as people make it out to be, but it isn't really good. Unexciting might be the best way to describe it. Daniels just jumps from one plot to another, from the Joker to the Dollmaker, to the Penguin, to Snakeskin, etc. without giving you a chance to really care about any of the plots. Now keep in mind, I don't mind the fast pace. With the number of great Batman villains, I get frustrated with seeing one character take up a whole 6 issue arc for half a year. I would love to see more 1 or 2 parters, but that's based on the assumption that these would be actual stories involving these characters. Instead, we're not getting real stories, just frantic jumping back and forth making me not really care.

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I just finished Volume 5 of Atomic Robo called Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science. It was pretty fantastic. Atomic Robo has quickly become a favorite character of mine. He's funny. It's really good art and the stories are very entertaining. The trades also have extras like "B" stories and the free comic book day story as well. Great stuff overall and I really recommend Atomic Robo to just about anyone. Doctor Dinosaur for my money is one of the funniest villains I've encountered in some time.
  • Options
    Kyle,

I'm totally with you. Detective Has been a little wierd, I thought we'd see more of the Joker's face thing but it's only popped up in Suicide Squad #7 recently. I thought it would be more of a running plotline. Still, I liked Daniel's run on Batman with Dick, so I'll stick with Detective for now until it gets really bad. I like his new artstyle a lot too. He's really grown as an artist since his Teen Titan days.
  • Options
    BrianBaerBrianBaer Posts: 80
    Agreed, Jaydee! I've read about half of the Atomic Robo series now (the collections are quite cheap on comiXology) and as great as those stories are, it's all cranked up to eleven when Doctor Dinosaur shows up.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    There is a story in volume 4 where Atomic Robo and his group fight Vampires from another dimension and you see Jenkins get into the fight. There is a panel where his co-workers just react to Jenkins beating the holy heck out of the Vampires and I don't know why, but it made me laugh so hard. Also, there is a cool shout out to Jim Hanley's Universe Comic Shop in that story as well.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited March 2012
    Well this is a FYI warning.

If you plan on buying DC Universe by Alan Moore HC almost everything of the previous material from the tpb collection in 2006 yes it now has Voodoo, Deathblow, Wildcats 50 & Wildstorm Spotlight included but....

IT does NOT have THE KILLING JOKE in this new HC!!!

I enjoyed the new stories but seriously it is obvious that the solicitation omission is a error of misjudgment by many comic fans, myself included.

Matthew
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    Read the new Incredible Hulk 1-4. I'm sticking with it because I'm interested in where the story is going, but a few things are weird to me.

One that doesn't matter is Silvestri's art. I've always liked Silvestri, probably because he was the artist on the Uncanny X-Men when I first started reading them. He was never one of my favorites that I would hunt down something I wasn't interested in just because he was drawing it, but he was someone that I liked to see drawing books I was interested in. But his art in this book looks very.... maybe sketchy is the right word? I know he always had a pretty sketchy style, but this just looks unfinished. Maybe it's the inker? But he only lasted 3 issues, so it doesn't really matter.

I'm not 100% sold on the evil Banner thing. I get the reasoning behind it but they need to do a bit to get me completely on board with it. It is an interesting role reversal though to have Banner being the one causing all the destruction (by sending the Stupid Rat Creatures after Hulk).

And one thing I like about this series. I've been bugged in recent years (as a long-time, but inconsistent Hulk reader) how the Hulk would change from form to form with no real explanation. I know during the first half of PAD's run and well before that, he would change constantly, but there was always a reason for it - a catalyst for the change and if you followed the series, you knew who the Hulk was. It seemed to start in the later portion of PAD's run and got very strong with some of the following writers, where Hulk would just be a different take on the character and no real explanation is given. Bruce Jones wants to write a savage Hulk, so he's a savage Hulk again. Then after that, we get Planet Hulk, so we're first we have Banner showing up for the prelude, but then we go back to a Hulk that can talk and communicate and has a brain, but Banner's never around and it's never really explained why. Then the next writer wants to do something else so we get another Hulk and who cares if you're confused. Here we have a definite status quo on the Hulk and it looks like there's an actualy in-story explanation for how we arrived at this point (even if it hasn't been completely told yet - unless it was told at the end of previous series which I haven't read, but the context makes it appear like it hasn't been).

Has anyone else been reading this?
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I read 1 and 2 of Detective Comics and quite enjoyed it, but had to drop it as a college kid with no job and a budget. And out of the Batman books I can get, I am obviously going for Batman. I hope to get it at an upcoming con. It seems like fun and if I had the money, I would definitely be getting it. This idea Mr. Moyer may push me over the edge to get it.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I've been reading the DC Animated Universe (DCAU) comics. There's some pretty good stuff in there. (Currently on Batman: Gotham Adventures)
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I had been ranking Bunny Drop as one of my favorite mangas after the first four volumes. I absolutely HATED volume 5 though, and am dropping this title like a hot stone.
  • Options
    I've been reading the DC Animated Universe (DCAU) comics. There's some pretty good stuff in there. (Currently on Batman: Gotham Adventures)
    There were times when Batman Adventures (in one of its various forms) was the best Batman book on the stands.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Jamie Delano's run on Animal Man. Now sure Morrison's run gets all the attention,but Delano's run is as good if not better. Just got to the part where Buddy and the Life Power Church have reached Nebraska. I wish DC would put out the entire Animal Man run in trades or even nice oversized hardcovers. But I doubt that many people would buy the later stuff.
  • Options
    Read the new Incredible Hulk 1-4. I'm sticking with it because I'm interested in where the story is going, but a few things are weird to me.

One that doesn't matter is Silvestri's art. I've always liked Silvestri, probably because he was the artist on the Uncanny X-Men when I first started reading them.
    Well, Silvestri dropped out after the first two issues. I read up to 6 so far and after he left its been Whilce Portacio all the way. I don't know why they made a big deal about Silvestri if he could only do 1.5 issues total out of a 6 issue run.
  • Options
    I just finished Volume 5 of Atomic Robo called Atomic Robo and the Deadly Art of Science. It was pretty fantastic. Atomic Robo has quickly become a favorite character of mine. He's funny. It's really good art and the stories are very entertaining. The trades also have extras like "B" stories and the free comic book day story as well. Great stuff overall and I really recommend Atomic Robo to just about anyone. Doctor Dinosaur for my money is one of the funniest villains I've encountered in some time.
    I haven't read much Atomic Robo, but it's been on my radar for some time. At STAPLE! this month in Austin I picked up an old issue from Scott Chitwood (Vol 1, #3), and it was one of my favorite things that I got at the show! The drawing is top-notch, especially the action set-pieces (and I don't tend to get all that excited about big action sequences), and the writing is warm and funny. I look forward to reading more.

I also got Kagan McLeod's Infinite Kung Fu from Top Shelf at STAPLE. That man can wield a brush like nobody's business!
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    @KyleMoyer - I've been reading the new Hulk series. I like Silvestri's art but, yeah, something isn't right with the work he did on those 1.5 to 3 issues. Maybe it's because the last time I saw any of his work was in the late 90's. While he was working on these books Silvestri got laid up in the hopsital with an ankle injury of some kind if I remember it correctly.

I don't get the evil mad scientist Banner is playing right now. I can understand him having anxiety issues, withdrawal issues and such having been seperated from the Hulk. However the way he is being portrayed right now I can't buy into it a great deal.

I have been an inconsistent Hulk reader as well. if a writer wants to do different take on the character, fine, justify and explain the change. I never liked Hulk and Banner being two seperate entities. Different personalities of the same person I'm fine with but two completely different seperate people, occupying the same body in whatever sense, no thanks. I always liked Banner being the man in the monster, the Jekyll & Hyde aspect of it.

If you haven't gotten to the issue yet they do explain how Hulk and Banner got seperated but it didn't satisfy me, it was kind of predictable and it didn't explain to me (yet) how after so many years of wanting to be free from the Hulk, why Banner is acting the way he is.

I'm going to stick with this series for a couple more months to see if it gets better but I either put two much faith into Jason Aaron and/or got my hopes too high.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I'm only about 3 trades in to Atomic Robo but I agree that it's a fantastic book. I mean, come on, action hero Carl Sagan. What more do you need to hear than that?
  • Options
    I really thought Aquaman #7 and Flash #7 were great this week. Great art on both of them. I feel like Manapul and Bullecatto learned the Geoff Johns storytelling method of the tease. Johns had some good teases in Aquaman and Manapul had the same thing in Flash with the speed force. I like both series, I can't wait to have some extra time and re-read a bunch of issues in a row.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Just read the first 3 issues of Chris Claremont's run on the second Man-thing series. Now it isn't horrible,but coming after Steve Gerber's amazing run it is a letdown. It seems that Gerber is the only writer to understand how to write a good Man-Thing story.
  • Options
    What I've been reading the last week or so

Lady Mechanika #0. Saw a recently released 4th print of this on the shelf and bought it on a whim after hearing good things about it. It was interesting enough to look for later issues. And with it's publishing schedule, it's not like it will impact my comic book budget at all so that's a plus. And it had cookie recipes in the book. And the first caption on the first page was my birthday (just off by roughly a century, but still). My only real complaint was that there were times when the flow of the word balloons seemed off. I had to re-read the page a few times because I read the balloons out of order, which for someone who has been reading comic books for as long as I have, shouldn't happen unless you're doing some sort of avant-garde weird panel layouts, which this book wasn't doing.

Uncanny X-Force Vol. 2: Deathlok Solution - Take the more violent X-Men characters and have them go on missions where they kill the bad guys. Doesn't sound like a recipe for something I'd be interested in except that that isn't really what the book is about (to this point at least). I read once that the biggest determiner for a soldier returning from war over whether they would have some sort of PTSD or psychological issues was not whether they got injured or whether they saw their friends get injured or killed - it was whether they were forced to kill someone. That messes with people's heads no matter how trained you are to become a killer. And that's what this book is about and that's why it's so interesting.

The Unwritten Vol. 3: Dead Man's Knock - I'm really getting into this book, but you know what really made this volume? The second to last issue that was reprinted in here (I think that would make it somewhere around 16 or 17 or so) was a choose-your-own adventure issue. Seriously. There was one "bad" ending, but if you get that one and go back to the page you left and make a different choice, they all eventually end up in the same place, but the different paths give you different insights into the character's past. It was an absolutely brilliant way to do an issue.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited April 2012
    SUPREME #63

Photobucket

Surfing the Comixology store I discovered an intriguing cover. When I read the short description :
    ALAN MOORE's final SUPREME tale is the ultimate jumping on point for new readers!
    I decided to give it a try.

Prior to this I've never read an issue of Supreme. Alan Moore is one of my all-time favorite writers. And yet - I totally missed his '90s run on the book.
    Although being a newbie to the Supreme universe, everything was clear to me from the get-go. It's a highly entertaining superhero comic. Playfully ironic, the writing is lighter and more cheerful than the "typical" Alan Moore. In some ways it feels like a loving tribute to the Silver Age comics. It's super-fun.
    I'm still rather new to Erik Larsen's art, but I have to say this book looks incredible awesome - and I need more Larsen....quick....
    The inks (Cory Hamscher) and the colors are perfect (Steve Oliff). CGS favorite, Chris Eliopoulos, does the lettering.

Due to a breathtaking cliffhanger I MUST pick up the next issue.

5/5