Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman #0 rant

2»

Comments

• Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    @David_D I think you were misunderstanding the Teen Titans trade changes. I haven't read the trade, but I saw the changes on Bleeding Cool and they definitely didn't change that he worked with Batman, just that he went by the name Robin. In fact, there was one line that was in the original Teen Titans issue where he mentioned that he used to be Robin, the Boy Wonder and it was changed to say that he used to be "Batman's boy wonder." Putting aside any "Seduction of the Innocent" type readings you could make into that quote, it is still established that he worked with Batman, just that he didn't go by the name Robin while doing so. I found that kinda unnecessary, but it didn't really get my panties in a bunch.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Ah. Got it. I did misunderstand- I thought the worry was that he was never a protege at all. But now I see that the concern was that he wasn't the Robin he used to be.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    From the trade, which I have in my lil' meathooks right here:

"My name is Tim Drake"
    "Also known as Red Robin. I used to be Batman's 'Boy Wonder'"
    "No I didn't come up with the name."
    "I thought I'd left that world behind me."
    "That I'd do more good working from the shadows."
    "Apparently I was wrong."
    "I'm going to need help."

I'm getting the impression that they're giving Drake the split that Grayson got in the Pre52 continuity. I'm willing to be somewhere there was "a parting of the ways" that we've not read yet, and while they're on civil terms (he did show up in the Batman book), they no longer feel a need to work together, and I think that decision may have come on Tim's terms, not Bruce's.
  • Options
    Anyone else annoyed by the amount of Bat-family titles out? There's a few quality ones, like Snyder's Batman, Higgins' Nightwing, and Batman and Robin. At least those are the ones I consider good.
  • Options
    I'm more annoyed by the fact that I haven't been able to find any of them enjoyable, with the exception of a very, very few. (Snyder's Batman hasn't been one of them.) They had an equally large number of bat-books during the 90's, and those were all quite good.

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    edited October 2012
    I think there are too many bat titles but but my bigger gripe is that they cross over with each other in major story arcs. I just want to get the best batman book and maybe batgirl without having to worry about missing parts of the story in another title. Grumpy old comic fan strikes again.
  • Options

I think there are too many bat titles but but my bigger gripe is that they cross over with each other in major story arcs. I just want to get the best batman book and maybe batgirl without having to worry about missing parts of the story in another title. Grumpy old comic fan strikes again.

I wouldn't mind the books crossing over -- in fact, I'd prefer for there to be a direct continuity across the main Batman books -- if there was a better story. Or a better direction.

Frankly, the lack of any continuity at all, outside of the Court Of Owls arc, was one of the things that bugged me about the New 52 Batman titles. Each book had it's own mega-story arc going, but there was no indication when each story took place, or any apparent break for the others to occur. It felt like there were five Batmen running around Gotham for while. Even a simple footnote saying 'this takes place after or before Other Bat-book #whatever' would have been appreciated. A stronger editorial hand might have helped.