Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Midnight X-Periment Premiere!

Here's a head's up to all my friends on the CGS forums!

Do you remember the horror hosts? Bob Wiilkins. Joe Bob Briggs. Stella and Hives from Saturday Night Dead.

The legends...Elvira, Vampira, Roland/Zacherle, Svenghoulie, Ghoulaurdi, "Chilly Billy" Cardille....

Now join me and my friends who remember...and love...the horror host programs from back in the day on October 27th for the premiere of The Midnight X-Periment!

We begin our journey into the deepest darkness by showcasing the George A. Romero's genre-creating classic, Night Of The Living Dead!

Keep track on Facebook:
FB Event Page

Like the Steve Atkins Studios page

Keep your eyes peeled on the Official YouTube Channel for the first episode!

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I will have to watch this. Growing up my local horror host was Sgt Graves. He was a zombie civil war soldier. And since I grew up in Mississippi he was a rebel soldier. His tagline when they went to commercial breaks was "Don't Ya change da channel or I will have to BITE YA!". I wish I could find footage of him.
  • Options
    Sorry I haven't responded sooner, guys. Catching and corralling zombies is a lot tougher than in the movies!

I'm there!

Excellent!

dubbat138 said:

I will have to watch this. Growing up my local horror host was Sgt Graves. He was a zombie civil war soldier. And since I grew up in Mississippi he was a rebel soldier. His tagline when they went to commercial breaks was "Don't Ya change da channel or I will have to BITE YA!". I wish I could find footage of him.

Thanks! What was the name of his show? There might be some old clips shambling around the 'net.

Thanks, guys! Spread the word about this to any and everyone you think might be interested, please!

Gotta go now! The zombies are listening to "Thriller" and I don't have enough room for a dance number!
  • Options

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, guys. Catching and corralling zombies is a lot tougher than in the movies!

I'm there!

Excellent!

dubbat138 said:

Thanks! What was the name of his show? There might be some old clips shambling around the 'net.

Thanks, guys! Spread the word about this to any and everyone you think might be interested, please!

Gotta go now! The zombies are listening to "Thriller" and I don't have enough room for a dance number!
    I want to say it was Sgt Grave's Spooky movies. But I was at the oldest 7 when he left the airwaves. I have searched all over the net since 1997 for any info about Sgt Graves and found nothing. I know he aired on the then NBC affiliate out of Mobile Alabama.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

I'm there!

Excellent!

dubbat138 said:

I want to say it was Sgt Grave's Spooky movies. But I was at the oldest 7 when he left the airwaves. I have searched all over the net since 1997 for any info about Sgt Graves and found nothing. I know he aired on the then NBC affiliate out of Mobile Alabama.

That would be pretty obscure. But, do not lose heart! There are currently several, ever-expanding online databases about horror hosts. You may also wish to contact your local (former) NBC affiliate in Mobile to see if they kept any of his footage in their archives. It was common practice around my neck of the woods for the local stations to keep all sorts of things for those odd times when late night air time needed to be filled....usually when someone forgot to renew the infomercial contract and world was denied the wonderful irony of a wig-wearing Cher selling you hair care products....
  • Options
    We had one here in the Twin Cities a few years ago...my friend Thommy was Uncle Ghoulie and did some great work. I also now know WAY too much about local television.

There's also a web channel that shows horror hosted movies 24 hours a day I've found, but all they can show is PD movies, so I've pretty much seen everything they can show.

Good luck with the show!
  • Options

We had one here in the Twin Cities a few years ago...my friend Thommy was Uncle Ghoulie and did some great work. I also now know WAY too much about local television.

There's also a web channel that shows horror hosted movies 24 hours a day I've found, but all they can show is PD movies, so I've pretty much seen everything they can show.

Good luck with the show!

Thanks! It's amazing to see how many horror hosts were relatives (usually an uncle) or "Doctors", isn't it? :)

If you want to watch the premiere, you are most welcome to do so.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

I'm there!

Excellent!

dubbat138 said:

That would be pretty obscure. But, do not lose heart! There are currently several, ever-expanding online databases about horror hosts. You may also wish to contact your local (former) NBC affiliate in Mobile to see if they kept any of his footage in their archives. It was common practice around my neck of the woods for the local stations to keep all sorts of things for those odd times when late night air time needed to be filled....usually when someone forgot to renew the infomercial contract and world was denied the wonderful irony of a wig-wearing Cher selling you hair care products....

I want to say the NBC channel is now a Fox affiliate. I did ask the NBC local news weather man back in the early 90s if he knew about them still having any of the footage. He had worked at that station for 30+ years. He told me as far as he knew they had wiped all the tapes years ago.
  • Options
    At Coast Con in 2010 I got to meet Jackson Mississippi's horror host Margahli. She isn't on the air anymore but I know at least back then she had a website. At the con she showed us the never aired episode where she showed "Night of the Living Dead". Then answered questions afterwards.
  • Options
    I remember the ABC affiliate in Rochester, NY used to have Chiller who hosted the late Friday afternoon moster and sci-fi movies back in the 60's. They videoed him in negative so that he would look spectral, but he played the part in a kind of laid-back goofiness.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

I'm there!

Excellent!

dubbat138 said:

I want to say the NBC channel is now a Fox affiliate. I did ask the NBC local news weather man back in the early 90s if he knew about them still having any of the footage. He had worked at that station for 30+ years. He told me as far as he knew they had wiped all the tapes years ago.
    Ouch. Very BBC of them. Sorry about that. I know that I have lost many a favorite program to such actions.

Still...I found some fun things on YouTube. Like a videotaped performance of Frank Langella as Sherlock Holmes (The Case Of Alice Faulkner) I recently watched. It originally aired on HBO when I was a child and occasionally popped up here and there over the years although I had been assured that it didn't exist anymore during a query as to when/if this would be made available to the public (DVD/DVD-R/On-Demand).

You never know. Someone might have some copies for whatever reason. You just never know.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

At Coast Con in 2010 I got to meet Jackson Mississippi's horror host Margahli. She isn't on the air anymore but I know at least back then she had a website. At the con she showed us the never aired episode where she showed "Night of the Living Dead". Then answered questions afterwards.

What was she like?
  • Options

I remember the ABC affiliate in Rochester, NY used to have Chiller who hosted the late Friday afternoon moster and sci-fi movies back in the 60's. They videoed him in negative so that he would look spectral, but he played the part in a kind of laid-back goofiness.

Awesome! Did he have any sidekicks or special guests? Zacherle/Roland had that "amoeba" thing that looked just plain weird!

Speaking of, do you folks remember waaaaaayy back in the day when Al Lewis dusted off his formal attire and resurrected Granpa Munster to host some monster films on TBS?

• Options

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

I'm there!

Excellent!

dubbat138 said:

Ouch. Very BBC of them. Sorry about that. I know that I have lost many a favorite program to such actions.

Still...I found some fun things on YouTube. Like a videotaped performance of Frank Langella as Sherlock Holmes (The Case Of Alice Faulkner) I recently watched. It originally aired on HBO when I was a child and occasionally popped up here and there over the years although I had been assured that it didn't exist anymore during a query as to when/if this would be made available to the public (DVD/DVD-R/On-Demand).

You never know. Someone might have some copies for whatever reason. You just never know.

Yeah I have been asking around the internet and at every con I go to for anyone with any Sgt Graves footage. So far found nothing. One dealer did know who I was talking about but told me Sgt Graves only was on the air for maybe 3 years.
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

At Coast Con in 2010 I got to meet Jackson Mississippi's horror host Margali. She isn't on the air anymore but I know at least back then she had a website. At the con she showed us the never aired episode where she showed "Night of the Living Dead". Then answered questions afterwards.

What was she like?
    She is a heavy set man in drag. Had a kind of Elvira thing going on. She had two sidekicks one was a sock handpuppet and the other was a wolfman that never appeared on camera. I need to find my program from that years Coast Con. Cause I know Margali's website was listed in it. Never mind found the site. http://www.margali-online.com/

• Options

Awesome! Did he have any sidekicks or special guests? Zacherle/Roland had that "amoeba" thing that looked just plain weird!

Speaking of, do you folks remember waaaaaayy back in the day when Al Lewis dusted off his formal attire and resurrected Granpa Munster to host some monster films on TBS?

I have seen clips of that but when it was airing where I lived there was no cable tv. I did enjoy the return of Elvira's Movie Macabre that happened 2 years ago. Too bad it only lasted one season.
  • Options

Awesome! Did he have any sidekicks or special guests?
    Not exactly. Initially, he just shared the slot with the regular afternoon movie host (one of the newscasters who came out and sat in an easy chair on the stage in his sweater and loafers), but I believe after a year or so (my recollection of the exact passage of time here is a little dusty) they did away with the whole host thing, except for continuing Chiller on the Friday horror/sci-fi movie.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited October 2012

Not exactly. Initially, he just shared the slot with the regular afternoon movie host (one of the newscasters who came out and sat in an easy chair on the stage in his sweater and loafers), but I believe after a year or so (my recollection of the exact passage of time here is a little dusty) they did away with the whole host thing, except for continuing Chiller on the Friday horror/sci-fi movie.
    In fact, the gentleman who played Chiller is apparently pretty well-known in the TV biz: he was Jerry Carr, who, at that time, was also the affiliate TV weatherman, but has since gone on to become station manager of the affiliate, and, later, president of a PBS station down in Florida. Here's a link to his bio, with a little more about his Chiller days.

jerrycarrmedia.com/article02.html

And here's a photo of Chiller on the Horror Host Graveyard website.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CEUQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.horrorhostgraveyard.com%2F2011%2F12%2Fchiller-theater.html&ei=ayOEUNCRH6nBiwKOu4CoCA&usg=AFQjCNEXnEjtvFvjYXq3KNncfwu0seMNgg&sig2=9bsAitbzezyAhiWFHU0Zhw

And I'd forgotten about this: there was a 45 rpm single released of what became his show's theme song; it was pretty popular in Rochester for awhile at the time of its release.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited October 2012
    Er, well... maybe we could just view the photo of Chiller by itself...

(He's the one lying down on the coffin.)
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

I have seen clips of that but when it was airing where I lived there was no cable tv. I did enjoy the return of Elvira's Movie Macabre that happened 2 years ago. Too bad it only lasted one season.
    It was a lot of fun. Especially when TBS picked up the contract to show WCW Wrestling. Suddenly every monster battle between Godzilla and another kaiju was referenced in wrestling terms!

I watched some of Elvira's original run (someone picked it up during the syndication boom that preceded her "comeback" after that whole Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark thing. Didn't get to see her revival series, though. Was it new material or just re-runs?
  • Options
    SteveAtkinsStudiosSteveAtkinsStudios Posts: 70
    edited October 2012

We had a Retro-TV/Me-TV program block here last year that had a show called Chiller. It might be the same one you are talking about, but I'm not sure. There was no host.

Svenghoulie took over the time slot and what remained after that were infomercials.

We went from being frightened by monsters to being frightened by a maniac screaming at us about what a Sham-Wow does. :-O

Thanks for the links and the pictures, Chuck! I'll definitely check them out more thoroughly when I wrap on the premiere this week. I love this stuff!

By the way, feel free to check out the show this Saturday. All are welcome!
  • Options

Er, well... maybe we could just view the photo of Chiller by itself...

(He's the one lying down on the coffin.)

That's still a pretty cool effect. :)
  • Options
    Here's a bit of Horror Tune-age for you:

The Five Blobs performing the theme to The Blob (1958).

Burt Bacharach and Mack David write the soundtrack to your nightmares, gang! :)

• Options

dubbat138 said:

It was a lot of fun. Especially when TBS picked up the contract to show WCW Wrestling. Suddenly every monster battle between Godzilla and another kaiju was referenced in wrestling terms!

I watched some of Elvira's original run (someone picked it up during the syndication boom that preceded her "comeback" after that whole Elvira, Mistress Of The Dark thing. Didn't get to see her revival series, though. Was it new material or just re-runs?

It was all new stuff. Aired nationwide on ThisTV and was also syndicated. 22 episodes i think. All new and all PD films.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

It was all new stuff. Aired nationwide on ThisTV and was also syndicated. 22 episodes i think. All new and all PD films.

Cool! Once I get all this stuff sorted out and finished, I may have to take a bit of time to hunt that down and watch it. Thanks!
  • Options

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

Cool! Once I get all this stuff sorted out and finished, I may have to take a bit of time to hunt that down and watch it. Thanks!
    They have been slowly releasing them to DVD.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

dubbat138 said:

They have been slowly releasing them to DVD.
    Definitely have to check that out! Thanks!
  • Options
    Clarifying the time. Saturday, 11:59 PM, October 27th.

When it is fully uploaded, it will be here.

I worked pretty hard on this and I am pretty excited about the premiere!

Hope to see many of you there!
  • Options
    SteveAtkinsStudiosSteveAtkinsStudios Posts: 70
    edited October 2012
    The premiere has been cancelled. Please remove this thread.
  • Options

The premiere has been cancelled. Please remove this thread.

Did the Weinsteins claim copyright on NOTLD? I know they have been doing that since their company released that DVD of NOTLD.