Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

DC Marvel Image IDW & Dark Horse January Solicitations

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I am getting Batman, Detective, Action & Superman plus Superboy & Supergirl w/ the upcoming crossover.

I will put my lil gift to me money towards the complete Death of Superman Omnibus.

Matthew
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    edited October 2012
    Not much grabs me in the regular series this month (though I'm afraid these crossovers will kill my interest in Aquaman and Supergirl), but some good trades this month. The complete Shade mini, the awesome early issues of Impuse (those that don't cross over with Flash storylines, anyway), and the Superman Vs. Shazam trade, all $19.99 apiece. If DCBS goes 50% off on those, I may get all 3 (esp. the Superman/Shazam one, even though I think I have everything it reprints).

Oh, and I see they're finally starting to collect the 80s Animal Man series past the Morrison run. Nice! Been wanting to read those for awhile.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Cool to see some never before collected (at least in the States, not sure about overseas) Animal Man issues getting into trade:
    ANIMAL MAN VOL. 4: BORN TO BE WILD TP
    Written by PETER MILLIGAN and TOM VEITCH
    Art by CHAS TRUOG, MARK FARMER and STEVE DILLON
    Cover by BRIAN BOLLAND
    On sale FEBRUARY 13 • 288 pg, FC, $19.99 US • MATURE READERS
    Continuing Buddy Baker’s surreal adventures, this volume features stories from ANIMAL MAN #27-37! In these tales, Animal Man becomes trapped in a prehistoric jungle in his bathroom, saves his daughter from the villainous Notational Man, and explores the mystery of the dead birds that seem to be everywhere.
    To be honest, these are not the strongest issues. Though the Morrison run was a hard act to follow. Though I hope they continue with trades and get the Jamie Delano stuff into collections for the first time, as I think that was the best the series ever was (better than the Morrison issues) and is absolutely the template that Lemire is working from now as far as being a mix of horror book and family drama.
  • Options
    I really need to get those Morrison Animal Man trades... they were the only issues of that series that I really enjoyed.

I'm continuing to get the same stuff as usual, though the new Threshold series looks interesting. The Superman vs Shazam trade is very, very tempting.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Unless Marvel throws out a lot of trades that i want, Jan may be one of those rare save money months. The only things I want are:

Superman vs Shazam
    Batman vol 2 HC
    Teen Titans Games

Of course now I am 100% sure that there will be a couple $ 40 or $50 dollar Hardcovers come out from an independent that I must have.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    AME-COMI GIRLS #4: FEATURING POWER GIRL - Cleavage included
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Greg said:

AME-COMI GIRLS #4: FEATURING POWER GIRL - Cleavage included

Ha! I've been reading those issues digitally and while they ARE heavy on the fanservice at times, they're actually really well-written (and drawn!). I'm planning on double dipping and picking up the eventual trade.

This month I'm happy to see they're releasing the 2nd Batman trade (Night of the Owls) as a separate purchase from the previous month's release that collects the multi-title saga. We've got a choice now of which way we want to read the story. So I dumped the previous month's book to pick this one up on my next order because Snyder's Batman has been just awesome!

• Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    edited October 2012
    DC

SUPERMAN VS. SHAZAM! TP
    Written by ROY THOMAS, JOEY CAVALIERI and GERRY CONWAY
    Art by GIL KANE, RICH BUCKLER and DICK GIORDANO
    Cover by RICH BUCKLER and DICK GIORDANO
    On sale FEBRUARY 20 • 192 pg, FC, $19.99 US
    • It’s the Man of Steel vs. the World’s Mightiest Mortal in this collection featuring Mr. Mxyzptlk, Mr. Mind, Captain Nazi, Black Adam and more!
    • Collects ALL-NEW COLLECTOR’S EDITION C-58, DC COMICS PRESENTS #33-34 and 49, and DC COMICS PRESENTS ANNUAL #3.

Never read those issues - but am interested in those crazy characters. Also the talents involved rock my boat.

THE ANNOTATED SANDMAN VOL. 3 HC
    Written by LESLIE S. KLINGER
    THE SANDMAN written by NEIL GAIMAN
    Art by JILL THOMPSON, VINCE LOCKE, P. CRAIG RUSSELL and others
    Cover by DAVE McKEAN
    Advance solicited • On sale JUNE 19 • 520 pg, B&W, 11.5” x 11.75”, $49.99 US • MATURE READERS
    In THE ANNOTATED SANDMAN VOL. 3, Leslie Klinger provides historical insights into issues #40-55 of THE SANDMAN, along with THE SANDMAN SPECIAL #1 and “How They Met Themselves” from VERTIGO: WINTER’S EDGE #3.

I collect all things Sandman.

• Options

SUPERMAN VS. SHAZAM! TP
    Written by ROY THOMAS, JOEY CAVALIERI and GERRY CONWAY
    Art by GIL KANE, RICH BUCKLER and DICK GIORDANO
    Cover by RICH BUCKLER and DICK GIORDANO
    On sale FEBRUARY 20 • 192 pg, FC, $19.99 US
    • It’s the Man of Steel vs. the World’s Mightiest Mortal in this collection featuring Mr. Mxyzptlk, Mr. Mind, Captain Nazi, Black Adam and more!
    • Collects ALL-NEW COLLECTOR’S EDITION C-58, DC COMICS PRESENTS #33-34 and 49, and DC COMICS PRESENTS ANNUAL #3.

The All-New Collector's Edition is one of those tabloid-sized comics DC put out in the 70s and I'm pretty sure it has never been reprinted, so the book will be worth it just for that, but all those DC Comics Presents stories are good, too, particularly the annual.

If the current take on Shazam is going to get them to reprint older material like this, then I just became a bigger fan of the new stuff,

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Nothing new caught my attention this month. Although I will be picking up the next volume of Batman. Shame to see Frankenstein go too.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I'm planning on double dipping

TMI
  • Options
    Looks like I'll be picking up Aquaman for the crossover and Wonder Woman for the Orion story again this month.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    David_D said:

Torchsong said:

TMI
    I've never hidden my buying preferences, nor am I ashamed of them. I didn't come out of the closet, I smashed that sucker down. :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

David_D said:

Torchsong said:

TMI
    I've never hidden my buying preferences, nor am I ashamed of them. I didn't come out of the closet, I smashed that sucker down. :)
    I just don't need to know about your double dip habits.

(you'll go blind!)
  • Options
    Anyone have any thoughts on Marvels solicits? Sorry I don't have the link
  • Options

Anyone have any thoughts on Marvels solicits? Sorry I don't have the link

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=41685
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338
    I'm just really happy to see JH Williams doing art for Batwoman again. I thought he'd be off the book by now, especially because December's issue had a fill-in artist (or "alternate artist", if you prefer).

Other than that, I'm liking the solicits for my usual titles. Wonder Woman looks to be a great read as usual, and I'm happy it's a Chiang-drawn issue. The cover to Batman Inc. looks amazing and I'm sure the story will be unique; I love the idea of Leviathan recruiting a bunch of bratty kids.
  • Options
    Re: Marvel

Glad to see that Fury Max by Ennis and Parlov is still going. I had thought that ended, so that is cool to see.

It's a bummer that all the Icon books are MIA in January. I don't know when the hell we're going to see the next issue of Scarlet, and Brilliant is rolling out very, very slowly. Oh well.

I probably won't buy it, and I don't usually buy Deadpool, but that Killustrated mini looks like a fun idea. Hopefully that'll be on the Digital Comics Unlimited sometime.

Some of the X-books, like Astonishing and X-Men, already felt a bit fringey. Sort of the "oh, is there still an Astonishing?" books of the line. But now with the new NOW books, and many of them double-shipping, some of those X-books really seem like they are hanging around too long.

The Remender/JRJR Cap book sounds like a lot of fun.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    I will be getting Savage Wolverine mainly for the art.

Matthew
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    Looks like a light month for me. Not many trades I am interested in. Good thing too because my December order ensured a couple nights on the couch.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Yay! Marvel have finally resolicited The Dark Tower: Sheemies Tale. Hopefully it's actually released this time.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I've been doing my best to fend off Marvel's double shipping and $3.99 crap...but hot damn if Hickman's New Avengers doesn't sound amazing...argh!
  • Options
    Been seeing some hype over that Brain Wood Star Wars series, may have to check that out.
  • Options
    Marvel

SILVER SURFER BY STAN LEE & MOEBIUS #1
    Stan Lee (W) • Moebius (A/C)
    • Galactus has converted humanity into his followers, and he's leading them to their doom!
    • His only challenger is the hero he himself trapped on Earth: the Silver Surfer!
    • It's a war for Earth's worship, but how much will be left when it's over?
    • Collecting SILVER SURFER: PARABLE #1-2.
    104 PGS./ Rated T+ ...$7.99

Moebius :x

ONE TRICK RIP-OFF / DEEP-CUTS HC – GEM OF THE MONTH
    story PAUL POPE
    art / cover PAUL POPE
    JANUARY 16
    288 PAGES / FC / T+
    $29.99 US
    Young lovers Tubby and Vim want to escape – escape the mistakes they've made, the lives they've lived, and the dirty city weighing them down. Their plan is simple –all they have to do is rip-off Tubby’s pals, the One Tricks – the toughest street gang in LA.
    If they pull it off, they're set for life. If not, their lives won't matter much anyway.
    What was going to be a smooth, straight-forward heist becomes a fast-paced battle to the death.
    From Eisner Award-winning writer/artist PAUL POPE (Batman: Year 100, THB, Heavy Liquid, 100%) and presented for the first time in color by JAMIE GRANT (All-Star Superman). ONE TRICK RIP-OFF/DEEP-CUTS is 288 pages of raw power, of which over 150 pages are comprised of new, rare, and never before seen stories created during POPE’s time traveling the world in the ‘90s.
    Included in the "Deep Cuts" section is a bounty of unpublished and rare work POPE did in the '90s, including the legendary "Supertrouble" manga, created for Kodansha in Japan, appearing here in print for the first time.
    It's a tour de force of pure, kinetic storytelling that will keep your eyes peeled until the very last page.

old Paul Pope....must read

Image has a lot of great books out - I'll wait for the trades 8->

Dark Horse

nothing on order right now - but I will end up getting Buffy, Hellboy and some Star Wars in the future (in trade or HC)

• Options
    Going to pick up the Answer and Star Wars for sure, possibly the black beetle if I have enough funds. Usually don't pick up any from Dark Horse.

Marvels new books have me excited and DC has me picking up WW for the Orion story and aqua man for the crossover with the justice league.

With all the new stuff coming out from marvel, the dc fourth wave and eventual crossover, and the image books announced at NYCC, I have no idea how I'm going to stick to my budget in 2013!
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    I am a fan of this format and try to buy as many as possible ( which is not enough ) but why the West Coast Avengers Omnibus? I love the intial mini and the first year or so was fun but to preserve it in this format? Who was clamoring for Al Milgrom's very basic art. With so much to choose from and after last month's Bob Layton Iron Man run getting the treatment, next up West Coast Avengers? Though admitedly I will get if if I see it at 50% off somewhere, I love the Omnibus of all kinds! I just see this and wish for better choices with tweny runs from Marvel off the top of my head critically and commercially and sentimentally better choices.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    shroud68 said:

I am a fan of this format and try to buy as many as possible ( which is not enough ) but why the West Coast Avengers Omnibus? I love the intial mini and the first year or so was fun but to preserve it in this format? Who was clamoring for Al Milgrom's very basic art. With so much to choose from and after last month's Bob Layton Iron Man run getting the treatment, next up West Coast Avengers? Though admitedly I will get if if I see it at 50% off somewhere, I love the Omnibus of all kinds! I just see this and wish for better choices with tweny runs from Marvel off the top of my head critically and commercially and sentimentally better choices.

I am interested in the West Coast Avengers omnibus.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    dubbat138 said:

shroud68 said:

I am interested in the West Coast Avengers omnibus.
    I imagine there will be fans of this collection, I myself enjoy much of the above run and binded the two annuals in a collection of mine. I just think it feels abritray and out of place to collect a relatively unheralded run like this when so much Marvel is untouched by the Omnibus format. I'd much rather see Stern's Hobgoblin stuff from Amazing or a collection of 80's 4 issue minis like Falcon, Iceman, Gargoyle...... But I said pretty much the same thing when they Omnibused ( nice word) Atlantis Attacks and that sits proudly on my shelf!
  • Options
    Gillen and McKelvie on Young Avengers is hard to pass up (even if I'd rather see them do more Phonogram).
  • Options
    IDW's solicits:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=41795

G.I. JOE: The IDW Collection, Vol. 1
    Larry Hama & Chuck Dixon (w) • Tom Feister, Mike Hawthorne, Andrea Mutti, Agustin Padilla, Rick Ketcham, & Robert Atkins (a) • Nick Runge (c)
    It's a new era with new challenges, and to face these challenges the United States military has forged a new group of the best of the best, G.I. JOE. Starting with G.I. JOE: ORIGINS read from the beginning the whole story of how G.I. JOE came to be and their realization of a shadowy group that keeps popping up wherever trouble is.

Thank you!!!! If these are set up like the Tranformers hardcovers, the contents should set up in a pretty decent reading order. Can't wait to get this series of hardcovers going.