Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1288 Talkback: TV Talk on Arrow and The Walking Dead

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited October 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
Time for a change of pace from comic talk to TV talk. Shane and Pants discuss the series premiere of 'Arrow' and the third season premiere of 'The Walking Dead'. Spoilers! (1:00:35)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Audible as a sponsor, huzzah! I have been using the subscription and I have more credits than I know what to do with. I may take up Deemer's suggestion on the Potter books.

I don't have cable. The costs are not worth it. Not watching Arrow, and as for the Walking Dead, zombies freak me out.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm a big fan of audible.
  • Options
    BlackUmbrellaBlackUmbrella Posts: 208
    edited October 2012
    http://www.theaudiobookstore.com/

This front end is owned by Audible (when you check out, you actually check out via Audible), but the books are supa-cheap. Cheaper than with an Audible subscription.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    jaydee74 said:

I'm a big fan of audible.

Yeah they rock! I'm a audible customer since the day(s) they started their company. Back then I had a US account - a few years back they opened divisions all over the globe. Now my account is "locked" with audible.de - I get all the same books - but now will not be able to use one of the myriads of promotion codes from any podcast outside my region.

I listen to about a dozen podcasts - and all are sponsored by audible.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    So I went to the audible page and I see $15 a month for only one book to download a month? Is that correct? That's more than I was expecting to be honest.
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    KyleMoyer said:

So I went to the audible page and I see $15 a month for only one book to download a month? Is that correct? That's more than I was expecting to be honest.

Yes, that's correct.

I was in the same position as you when I first discovered Audible.

But if you look at the prices to buy the books at regular price, that's pretty cheap. And if you sign up for the Platinum plan you get two books for $22, so it lowers your per-book cost.

It's not super cheap, but the quality is amazing.

You can sign up for a free month, try a book and then cancel. You get to keep the book.

There's no risk. I can't decide for you if $15 is too much for a book. I'm usually pretty picky about the books I get. I try to find long ones so I get my money's worth.

Bry

• Options
    edited October 2012
    it's Euro 9.95 a month @ audible.de - that's $13 or CHF 12.00

I win :D

• Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    We cut cable a while back and haven't looked back. CBS shows are difficult to keep up with, given that they don't play in the sandbox well with the streaming services and are sporadic at best in keeping up stuff on their website, but we haven't encountered any situations that have made us reconsider yet. Futzing with the antenna for local stations can be a pain (again thanks to CBS! One position works with every station we get BUT CBS, and moving it so we can watch Sunday Morning is a pain, so we just leave it there and hope there's nothing on, say, Fox we want).

And if there's a cable channel show that doesn't stream that we wanna see... we just get it through Amazon. When you're not paying for hundreds of channels you never watch, ponying up a couple bucks an episode for Doctor Who or The Walking Dead or whatever ends up not being a big deal.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    edited October 2012
    There is a plethora of free audio books on the web and you can get audio books from your library. There are also some podcasts that do book readings.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Walking Dead was great. Really enjoyed the faster pacing of the episode. Last year they would have stood outside the fence of the prison for 3 episodes and talked about the pros and cons of entering. It is also cool how they seem like a very well oiled machine who trained with each other through the winter.
    Jamie D f'd up not watching Arrow. While not my Oliver Queen I still found it to be a very enjoyable show. Are the exterior shots of their mansion the same as Lex's mansion in Smallville. It looked exactly the same.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    brydeemer said:

KyleMoyer said:

Yes, that's correct.

I was in the same position as you when I first discovered Audible.

But if you look at the prices to buy the books at regular price, that's pretty cheap. And if you sign up for the Platinum plan you get two books for $22, so it lowers your per-book cost.

It's not super cheap, but the quality is amazing.

You can sign up for a free month, try a book and then cancel. You get to keep the book.

There's no risk. I can't decide for you if $15 is too much for a book. I'm usually pretty picky about the books I get. I try to find long ones so I get my money's worth.

Bry

I am extremely cheap when it comes to books. Most of the time I will wait for the paperback before reading a book. Now I have tried audio books a few times and I just can't get into them. I lose my focus and find myself rewinding them a bunch.

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited October 2012
    I love Audible. I think it was their sponsorship of the Slate Political Gabfest that got me to try them a few years back, and I have loved it. (Sometimes to the detriment of various podcasts that Audible supports, as time spent on audiobooks has been time away from podcasts).

There has been a lot of audiobook discussion, and a lot of great recommendations, on this thread.

If you are going for the free trial, some on-topic ones I would recommend:

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. For the longest time they had an abridged version. And abridged is rubbish. But just a month or two ago an unabridged went live. I am halfway through it. It is well-narrated, and (no surprise) a brilliant book. Pulizter Prize winning fiction that is a family epic and WW2 story intertwined with the history of American comics. This is also a good bang for your buck choice, as your free credit gets you 26 hours worth of book.

The Ten Cent Plague by David Hajdu. A fantastic book on the history of comics and, especially, the best thing I have ever read on the history surrounding the Senate hearings and Dr. Wertham. I can't speak for the narrator, as I did this in print years ago. But I am glad to see Audible has it unabridged.

SuperGods: What Masked Vigilantes, Miraculous Mutants, and a Sun God From Smallville Can Teach Us About Being Human by Grant Morrison. Part meditation on the history of superheroes and part memoir. I thought it was great, but fair warning, if you hate Morrison, you won't like it, as the memoir parts do get a little trippy (it is not for Bryan). But if you are game for Morrison getting a little trippy, it is a passionate and insightful book about superheroes, like a stellar lecture, mixed with a showbusiness memoir. And John Lee, who narrates, is one of my favorite readers.

And a couple just right for Halloween--

The Shining by Stephen King, narrated by Campbell Scott. To me, it is one of King's greatest works, if not his greatest, and the Scott narration is perfect. I remember doing this one in an October a few years back, and then we watched the Kubrick film for Halloween (my wife had never seen it).

Death Troopers by Joe Schreiber narrated by Sean Kenin Zombie Storm Troopers. Come on! A Star Wars horror book. Very fun. And excellently narrated by a buddy of mine, who is a very talented reader, and lifelong Star Wars fan (a dream gig, especially with a particular character that shows up in that book).

Another bang for your buck recommendation-- the Song of Ice and Fire Books by George R.R. Martin. I will be honest, I don't love the narrator for most of them (though many disagree with me on that) but it was a great way to do these books, as this is a time of my life when I don't have as many opportunities to sit still and read, and each one is, like, a thousand hours long or something. I have spent more time in a month listening to Roy Dotrice than my own wife.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    @David_D : I will treat my ears and mind with Campbell Scott reading The Shining. Thanks for the pointer.

I love Roy Dotrice's narration of the Song of Ice and Fire books - and yes those things are loooooooong. I take much longer runs, walks and trips now.
  • Options
    ElsiebubElsiebub Posts: 338

I love Roy Dotrice's narration of the Song of Ice and Fire books - and yes those things are loooooooong. I take much longer runs, walks and trips now.

Oh... YEEESSSS!.I've been listening to the Song of Ice & Fire books ever since I got the first audiobook on CDs (about 40 of 'em) last Christmas. I currently stand about five hours away from listening to the end of A Dance of Dragons. Roy Dotrice's narration is fantastic. Highly, highly recommended.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    Re: Audible

If you are a fan of the Thrawn trilogy you owe it to yourself to download the unabridged versions of these books from Audible. The narrator's name escapes me but his voice changes for each part, they use distortions for unique voices like C3PO, and lots and lots of sound effects. It's like listening to a movie.
  • Options
    wuchmeewuchmee Posts: 16
    Goodbye, Mike. Your stint was too short. The show was all the better for your participation. See you at the movies.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Audible: well, as I'm always behind on podcasts, I'll just listen to those in my free time and when I can't, I'll just read regular, tangible books like comics or books I can check-out from the library here. I just finished a Geoffrey (Jeffrey?) Deaver novel. Arrow/Walking Dead: I doubt that I'll ever get to see Arrow except for maybe a random episode when I fly to the U.S. or when I stay at my mom's house. I'm following Walking Dead, but since I'm in Japan I'm just renting the DVDs. I'm up to volume 5 in the trade and only saw Season 1 on DVD. BUT I enjoy these Walking Dead Review episodes! I like to hear how different things are from the comic! Since I'm so far behind it doesn't matter if I get spoiled cuz I'll forget whatever you said by the time I reach the current episodes, which I guess would be sometime in 2014./// Hey, nice to see Mike chimed in on the forum. Awesome!