Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Might be off Topic: Undergarments for Spandex Costumes

Halloween is shortly upon us and we just passed Con season, and I had an issue last Halloween. I have a custom made Robin costume that I wore last Halloween without any undergarments. While it was comfortable, my "anatomy" was revealed to all. Basic brief underwear was not an option due to lines showing through the skin-tight spandex.

I'm looking into either going the route of Dancer Belt or Jock Strap. I think the best option would be Dancer Belt with a thong back, but that's out of my comfort zone. Now I'm leaving on a Jock Strap that will smooth out the area.

Anyone have any insight/experience, and more importantly a product they can recommend?

Attached is an image from last Halloween, I'm on the far right and my "issue" is pretty obvious in this picture (sorry in advance)

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
  • Options
    (With credit to Demitri Martin)
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Wear a cup.

Please. X_X
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Two Phoenix cons back we had a traditional Robin cosplayer (traditional = little pants) and to say he had a bit of a package problem was an understatement. Fortunately he didn't take an interest in my table but some friends of mine down the row said "Dude, he was totally teabagging our merchandise!" :)

They made Burt Ward wear a cup after the first season, I think. There's your inspiration right there.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Torchsong said:

Two Phoenix cons back we had a traditional Robin cosplayer (traditional = little pants) and to say he had a bit of a package problem was an understatement. Fortunately he didn't take an interest in my table but some friends of mine down the row said "Dude, he was totally teabagging our merchandise!" :)

They made Burt Ward wear a cup after the first season, I think. There's your inspiration right there.

Any guy who fights crime without a cup is asking for trouble...
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

Torchsong said:

Any guy who fights crime without a cup is asking for trouble...
    That and apparently Burt Ward is hung like a plantain. After reading this bit, I can't watch the damn show anymore without looking...damn it.

My wife, however, has taken a renewed interest in watching it. :)
  • Options
    gavigavi Posts: 41
    a cup might send the wrong message cause I don't want to fight any crime, just get drunk
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    Maybe this is too obvious...what is your Aquaman friend doing? He doesn't seem to have the same problem. Can't you just ask him? I mean it might be awkward at first asking about his junk, but hopefully you guys are close. :))
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    go as damian and put on some dang pants? :)

you can drink with a cup on, plus when you say "hold my beer" and then do something really stupid a cup could come in handy
  • Options
    Nick said:

Maybe this is too obvious...what is your Aquaman friend doing? He doesn't seem to have the same problem. Can't you just ask him? I mean it might be awkward at first asking about his junk, but hopefully you guys are close. :))

And, when you have this conversation, could you both record it and send it into the show?
  • Options
    Nick said:

his costume has his black underwear as a second piece, while mine is just one piece. The other two guys said they did jock straps so I'm going to try that route today. I really wanted some feedback with dancer belts, but it sounds like this forum doesn't have nearly as much experience with spandex super hero costumes as i would have thought.
  • Options
    NickNick Posts: 284
    gavi said:

Nick said:

his costume has his black underwear as a second piece, while mine is just one piece. The other two guys said they did jock straps so I'm going to try that route today. I really wanted some feedback with dancer belts, but it sounds like this forum doesn't have nearly as much experience with spandex super hero costumes as i would have thought.
    What we are lacking in Spandex knowledge we make for in leather and pleather know how.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    It sounds like you need to do some recon. Is there a place nearby where people would be wearing dancer belts that you could ask them? What about a place where you could try them on (you always keep a spare costume with you, right?)

I've gone the jock strap route, so that's the only expertise I can provide. If you're desperate, maybe try the Buffalo Bill tuck?! Just saying...

M
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    No idea about a dancer's belt but jockstraps are so damn umcomfortable. I hated wearing them when playing sports in high school. Most basketball games I wouldn't wear mine.
  • Options
    for those curious about what I'll be wearing against my skin this Halloween (I'm sure you all are), I decided to go the jock strap route. With my "utility belt" over the costume, it hides the waist line very well.

and I don't know the science behind it but wearing the jock strap alone is very uncomfortable, but for some reason wearing it under the spandex costume makes it more comfortable.
  • Options
    Dancebelts do come in the full seat style, and that is probably best.

That said, you could also double up on briefs (there are styles with less obvious seamwork) and a lot of guys go with that.