Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1290 Talkback: 'Marvel Comics: The Untold Story' with author Sean Howe

PantsPants Posts: 567
edited October 2012 in CGS Episodes & Spin-Offs
'Marvel Comics: The Untold Story' is 'An unvarnished, unauthorized, behind-the-scenes account of one of the most dominant pop cultural forces in contemporary America.' Marvel history buff Chris Eberle from Wild Pig Comics joins us to talk about the book with the author Sean Howe (50:17)

Listen here.

Comments

• Options
    Really excited to get this book, though I might have to wait till Christmas to purchase it.

And since its only ten episodes away any big plans for 1300?
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Amazon delivers my copy tomorrow - downloading the ep. now
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I started reading this book at work yesterday and it's very good. I haven't listened to the episode yet so I'm looking forward to hearing what Mr. Howe has to say.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Great episode. This was on my Christmas list already, but now I want it NOW!

Chris, please please please can you bring some of your great offers and such to the London Super Comic Con??? Not only would it be awesome to meet you and have a chat. But I'd also end up buying a load of books :D
  • Options
    the elf with a gun needs to make a comeback. Perhaps with a grim and gritty remake. :))
  • Options
    Ok... I hate to do this, but here's some constructive criticism.

Chris: I know you have a wealth of knowledge, especially concerning Marvel comics. I love to hear you talk about Marvel, Spider-Man, etc, when you are a guest on the show. However, in this interview, I feel you needed to tone it down a few notches. It felt like, consciously or not, you were a little too eager to let the interviewee know that you , too, were in the know about Marvel. While you never want the interview subject to think you are a moron and are completely devoid of knowledge, it's generally better to let the interviewee spell things out himself, name the names, cite the dates... he is, after all, the authority on the subject, hence he's the one being interviewed. It is never, EVER a good thing when you finish the subject's sentences for him.

That being said, the book is at the top of my list, and overall, the interview was great. Please take this criticism in the constructive vein in which it is offered. Let the dislikes and disagrees commence.
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    About a quarter of the way through and really enjoying it so far. I'd agree that the book strikes a fairly even tone. Or at least it has so far.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Howe was an interesting guest. I wish the interview could've gone on longer! I understand that you're at the mercy of the interviewee's schedule, though, especially since you make it sound like this one came together pretty quickly. But still, it was a good chat, and if I wasn't already interested in reading this, I would be now.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    ...for those who missed or might look for @danGP 's thread on the subject
    Marvel Comics - The Untold Story
  • Options
    Dan_CapDan_Cap Posts: 39
    Sounds like I'm putting this on my Xmas list!
  • Options
    I'll admit that I haven't been listening to too many podcasts these days, but after a recent controversy, I decided to see how the show was doing and listened to probably the latest two. Must say I enjoyed them a lot! I'm actually reading the Marvel book and it was good to hear from Sean, as well as Pants and Shane and Chris. I'm glad you're keeping the length reasonable on the shows. If these two are any indication, I just may be hooked again. (Darn you!)
  • Options
    Look forward to reading this book. Thanks guys for having him on.
    Book will arrive with my DCBS order later this month
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Thanks to my great library system I should be getting it next week. I too fell in love in Marvel Origins, Son of Origins, Bring on the Bad Guys, Marvel Women ( I think that was the title) but I'm sure those were puff pieces at best. Looking forward to this book tremendously.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    I am looking forward to reading the book but the interview gave me concern. It seemed that the big players (Stan Lee, Jim Shooter, etc) started to work with the author but then wanted nothing to do with the guy. This makes me think that the book is a hatchet job on the company/industry, the author was in over his head, or he nailed the truth so much that the big shots started worrying about their reputations and wanted to disassociate themselves from this. I will have to see some more reader reviews before I purchase.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    Hmm, darn it! Another book I have to get a hold of somehow. Maybe I'll try to find it when I get back to the states in a few months. Good episode as usual guys! Thanks!
  • Options
    MiraclemetMiraclemet Posts: 258
    edited November 2012
    Ok, just AMazon Primed this after hearing your (and a few other) interviews with Sean Howe. Im looking forward to reading it, but seriuosly who ever was hired to design this book cover should be fired.

Its horrible.

-The faux aging looks less like aging and more like poor production quality.
    -The color scheme has no pop and looks way to muted both in life, on the screen, and on the shelf.
    -And the title font is just trying way to hard to emulate the old 60s Marvel title style, but it just makes the book look juvenile. I know (assume) they couldn't use any character images, but I just think they could have classed the book up a'la some of the other oral history books that are currently the "high water mark"

Sure it stands out, but more like a sore thumb, than as eye catching...

I get that their problem is that the iconic images are not available to them, vs the stars and anchors of ESPN, SNL and NBC, but anything would have been better than this thing...
  • Options
    I agree; the production looks terrible. But it tends to go that way with any mass-market book about comics, unfortunately. Ironically, books about comics published from within the industry or by fan press tend to look more professional and less 'comicy'.
  • Options
    would love to hear the perspective of whom ever disagreed with my opinion of the design. What do you like about it?
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

Ok, just AMazon Primed this after hearing your (and a few other) interviews with Sean Howe. Im looking forward to reading it, but seriuosly who ever was hired to design this book cover should be fired.

Its horrible.

-The faux aging looks less like aging and more like poor production quality.
    -The color scheme has no pop and looks way to muted both in life, on the screen, and on the shelf.
    -And the title font is just trying way to hard to emulate the old 60s Marvel title style, but it just makes the book look juvenile. I know (assume) they couldn't use any character images, but I just think they could have classed the book up a'la some of the other oral history books that are currently the "high water mark"

Sure it stands out, but more like a sore thumb, than as eye catching...

I get that their problem is that the iconic images are not available to them, vs the stars and anchors of ESPN, SNL and NBC, but anything would have been better than this thing...

I'm hesitant to question an opinion of another but I have to say, enjoy the content and not to sound like an old lady "Dont judge a book by it's cover". It is the content we are interested in, the cover of this particular book speaks nothing of the treasure trove of information we get and it just sounds silly to pick apart the production value of a non comic book with presumeably no collector intent or value.To each his own I guess, I just scratch my head sometimes at what we bitch about.
  • Options
    shroud68 said:

To each his own I guess, I just scratch my head sometimes at what we bitch about.

Like all things we argue about, it can sometimes depend upon your POV. Having done some production work myself, I can easily see what Miraclemet is talking about. I agree that the content is the most important thing, but the cover should be of at least the same quality. It's like having a beautifully decorated home interior, but the outside building looks like a hovel. Sure, it's pretty and warm inside, but tell me that, in the back of your mind, you won't be thinking about at least hiring someone to paint the exterior and clear the gutters.
  • Options
    I'm about 100 pages in, and other than the stuff on Sterkanko's childhood, it's all stuff I know already (which is a good thing for me and not a criticism of the book)

But it keeps pushing the myth that comics in the 50's were killed by the comics code.

Comics started a collapse before the code, and the distribution collapse killed a lot of smaller publishers of comics and magazines (it's why Kurtzman's Trump folded despite high sales), and the collapse from the end of Leader News. It's why EC had books returned in bundles, unopened, even after they subscribed to the code. Then, when Atlas (Goodman's distribution company) collapsed in 1957, Timely was limited to 8 books a month.

The Code did nothing about sales. Dell didn't subscribe, and they still sold better than anyone else. It was availability of television and magazine distribution completely falling apart in the mid 50's. It also finally killed what was left of the pulps, and why many publishers moved to mass market paperbacks for their genre fiction.

Doesn't seem like a hatch job so far, but once you get into the mid 50's, he's no longer telling the story chronologically, which makes the book confusing at times. He talks about Romita on Spidey and the changes he made THEN tells the story of Ditko leaving the book? Factual, but poorly relayed.