Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Superman 13 big news (spoiler)

According to the Drudge Report and other news sources, Clark Kent will be quiting the Daily Planet.

Obviously we have to see this play out. But on first blush my thoughts are that it's being done simply to get eyeballs and buzz.

If course the goal is to get readers, but it just strikes me as something that is being done in a hurry as an attention grabber. Again, have to see how it plays out. But if it were being done for real character development I think such a big change would have happened gradually and seemed more organic. This just seeks like "hey, let's shake things up."

Comments

• In fairness, print is a dying medium. ;-)
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    As someone who’s been laid off from a newspaper, I don’t blame him for getting out of the business. I know a lot of young reporters who have done the same thing over the past two years.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Must be a slow news day at whatever outlets are reporting on this, though I suppose it can be hard for people in journalism to resist a story about a famous, though fictional, journalist.

It could be "let's shake this up", but of course it is hard to have story without a changes in status quo, even temporary ones. Often that is where the drama comes from. Characters have to make decisions, whether right or wrong, for there to be consequences of decisions.
  • John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I heard that Clark Kent now goes to a different hairdresser too :-O
  • I'm pretty sure I've read this story before.

I've also read 'Clark Kent gets fired from the Daily Planet' and 'Clark Kent becomes Managing Editor of the Daily Planet'.

I'll react later.
  • PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    David_D said:

Must be a slow news day at whatever outlets are reporting on this, though I suppose it can be hard for people in journalism to resist a story about a famous, though fictional, journalist.

It could be "let's shake this up", but of course it is hard to have story without a changes in status quo, even temporary ones. Often that is where the drama comes from. Characters have to make decisions, whether right or wrong, for there to be consequences of decisions.

Of course, but there's a difference between characters developing and creators just trying to create buzz. Like Superman and Wonder Woman kissing. I have no problem with it. But was it done simply to grab some headlines and eyeballs? I don't know. But I think some people felt like the characters and the writers hasn't "earned" that moment and for some people it felt cheap.
  • I'm not sure that this is that much of a spoiler. I saw "daily planet" trending on twitter yesterday, and investigated a little bit by google news searching it.. No spoiler warnings that I saw in doing that. Should I quit twitter?

I'm not sure that this is that much of a spoiler. I saw "daily planet" trending on twitter yesterday, and investigated a little bit by google news searching it.. No spoiler warnings that I saw in doing that. Should I quit twitter?

Just being polite
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    They're kinda scraping the barrel for "shocking new directions" for the character.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Could be a reaction to the whole "Why does this guy even NEED a secret identity?" concept. And the idea that if Lois is such an awesome investigative reporter, why'd it take her so long to figure out Clark was Superman in the first place?
  • Torchsong said:

Could be a reaction to the whole "Why does this guy even NEED a secret identity?" concept. And the idea that if Lois is such an awesome investigative reporter, why'd it take her so long to figure out Clark was Superman in the first place?

Because he was better at hiding it than she was at uncovering it.

And I thought that question of why he needed a secret identity was already thoroughly covered over the past 75 years!?
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    This just in: I hear Batman is going to punch the Joker in the face soon. Man, they are just out of ideas!

When a character has been running this long, across so many titles, should we even expect something new or different? Especially when there is, clearly, only so much variation and experimentation the readership will allow? Seems like damned if you do/ damned if you don't.

At the end if the day, the work is either entertaining to you or not. I don't think the metrics of whether or not it is new, or whether it not they are trying to generate interest are a useful way to approach a nearly 80 year old serial.

Because none of it is new. And if they are doing their job, then they are always trying to grab attention and compete.

And before anyone defers to the, 'I just want good strories'. Well, of course. I think we all do, and I think they do. This story is getting published because some people think it is a good story that people will want to read.
    David_D said:

This just in: I hear Batman is going to punch the Joker in the face soon. Man, they are just out of ideas!

F'n SPOILER alert, man!
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Torchsong said:

David_D said:

F'n SPOILER alert, man!
    Yo put up a SPOILER ALERT next time you throw up a SPOILER ALERT, dawg!

• demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159

In fairness, print is a dying medium. ;-)

that'd be a realistic take on things... and it would work in the context of him being superman primarily. heck, maybe the real story is that the Daily Planet is going all-digital, much like many broadsheets and even Newsweek soon.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited October 2012
    demonbear said:

that'd be a realistic take on things... and it would work in the context of him being superman primarily. heck, maybe the real story is that the Daily Planet is going all-digital, much like many broadsheets and even Newsweek soon.

Of course, they've done that storyline before too... and had some interesting and prescient takes on it, back in the late 90's, when Luthor bought the Planet and turned it into a web-only enterprise that simply data-mined rather than research and write news stories.

Of course, the present could make for more interesting background, given that print newspapers, as noted, is a dying enterprise, and the Superman background has to evolve, even if the character isn't doing much along those lines. Clark could simply become a newsblogger, and post from any location in the world. The problem with that would be a serious lack of interaction with any colleagues, because he wouldn't need it anymore in his combined profession of blogger and hero; but his personality would suffer from the loss.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    demonbear said:

To be completely realistic, Clark Kent could never have been a reporter. You can't be gone for days or weeks at a time fighting some global or deep-space threat and not be filing reports every day. Editors do not like being kept out of the loop. Especially now with cell phones. Reporters are on their phones constantly.

But a blogger with a smart phone (and Kryptonian tech) that can post updates from anywhere he happens to be? Perfect.

"Print is dead." - Egon Spengler.

• demonbeardemonbear Posts: 159
    Superman with a Twitter feed...!

Or he could be giving it all up to become a farmer.
  • Clark should get a job with the TSA.
    Full body scanning with x-ray vision sans the embarrassment of seeing a nekkid doughboy on a vid screen.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Torchsong said:

Or a fisherman for God knows what reason.

• KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    David_D said:

When you say face, do you mean in his face area, in his actual face, or both? :)

I thought Superman already quit and became a fireman.

Is Superman going to become the Mike Rowe of super heroes?
  • Krescan said:

I thought Superman already quit and became a fireman.

That was in Action Comics, in a storyline that took place five years ago; and he was still working at the Daily Star at that point. The story the news media is hot about now is taking place in Superman, in the present. Based on these two stories, I'd guess that Clark Kent was something of a hire risk...
    Torchsong said:

He's going Amish.
  • CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    David_D said:

I also heard that the guardians of oa are going to try to screw over Hal Jordan. Didn't see that coming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2012

demonbear said:

Of course, they've done that storyline before too... and had some interesting and prescient takes on it, back in the late 90's, when Luthor bought the Planet and turned it into a web-only enterprise that simply data-mined rather than research and write news stories.

Of course, the present could make for more interesting background, given that print newspapers, as noted, is a dying enterprise, and the Superman background has to evolve, even if the character isn't doing much along those lines. Clark could simply become a newsblogger, and post from any location in the world. The problem with that would be a serious lack of interaction with any colleagues, because he wouldn't need it anymore in his combined profession of blogger and hero; but his personality would suffer from the loss.
    Hell, not only in the 90's, but in the 70's as well... Clark quit the Planet (or at least his full-time job there) in 1971 to be the news anchor at GBS TV. Nice way to keep that secret identity, Clark... plaster your face on every tv screen for an hour a day. I believe this lasted up until Whatever Happened to the Man of Steel, and the Byrne Reboot in 86.

And, yes, it was covered by the news media then, too, since he was leaving the great metropolitan newspaper, to work for the enemy, the nightly news.
    Im just saying, in those previous cas it was after years of stories of him working there, and Im guessing a certain amount of build up to him leaving. Ive been reading Superman and to me there has been no indication of why hed leave. Maybe i have missed some things, but my concern is that this might be to SOLELY get eyeballs in the media.
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207

He's going Amish.

Well, you see...there was this nail in the road...
  • I think it's another change, along with ditching Lois, to make the eventual loss of the "pieces from Action #1" that will revert to the Siegals that much easier to take.