Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

comiXology: American Flagg! - Half-Off Sale!!!

Photobucket

American Flagg!: Definitive Collection
Collects AMERICAN FLAGG! #1-12 plus introductions from Warren Ellis and Michael Chabon, a bonus sketch gallery, and more! AMERICAN FLAGG! -- created, written and illustrated by HOWARD CHAYKIN and winner of numerous awards and honors, including nine Eagle Awards -- now available as a digital collection!

American Flagg!: Definitive Collection for 9.99

A must buy.

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    No argument from me.
  • Options
    Damn! but I almost jumped at that. $10 for an American Flagg collection!

But it's all digital. :((

Call me when there's a trade at that price.
  • Options
    kfreemankfreeman Posts: 314
    I think I might pick this up for that price. I've actually never read it, believe it or not.
  • Options
    kfreeman said:

I think I might pick this up for that price. I've actually never read it, believe it or not.

You're in for such a treat!
  • Options
    AMERICAN FLAGG HALF OFF!
  • Options

AMERICAN FLAGG HALF OFF!

I'm so glad you're back. :x :x :x
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Usually a sucker for a Comixology sale but he was such a stroppy bugger at Bristol Con a fe years back that I refuse to buy his stuff.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    I love Chaykin's run on AF and if I was into digital comics this is a good deal. But really I see the first 12 issues in cheap bins all the time. Want to say I got them all for 50 cents or cheaper a few years back.
  • Options
    ctowner1ctowner1 Posts: 481
    there's also a GORGEOUS HC with the 1st 14 issues. Well woth tracking down.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    Just bought this. Seeing everybody rave about it here made it impossible to pass up!
  • Options
    I still contend that American Flagg #1 is as good a first issue as has ever been published.

The amount of world-building, plot, character and action is staggering.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I still contend that American Flagg #1 is as good a first issue as has ever been published.

The amount of world-building, plot, character and action is staggering.

It was a title I heard so much about in the late 80s. Then when the 90's boom happened my LCS dumped lots of 80s indy boom titles into their cheap bins. They were a quarter a comic or if you spent 20 bucks 10 cents each. So every week I would go and buy 20 bucks worth of 10 cent comics. Got a huge stack of AF! comics that way and loved them. Then lost all my copies when my now ex-wife set fire to half my collection. I seem to remember that after Chaykin left AF went quickly down the crapper. With Alan Moore writing a few issues that were some of the worst stuff Moore has written. But my memory might be wrong on this.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

I seem to remember that after Chaykin left AF went quickly down the crapper. With Alan Moore writing a few issues that were some of the worst stuff Moore has written. But my memory might be wrong on this.

Your memory is not wrong.

But the first dozen issues are as good as comics get.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

dubbat138 said:

I seem to remember that after Chaykin left AF went quickly down the crapper. With Alan Moore writing a few issues that were some of the worst stuff Moore has written. But my memory might be wrong on this.

Your memory is not wrong.

But the first dozen issues are as good as comics get.
    Ahh ok I remembered them as being worse than that Violator mini series Alan Moore wrote. And I agree the first 12 issues are great and I am surprised more people haven't read them. It seems that most of the stuff First Comics was putting out in the 80's got ignored. I got 4 trades that collects the early Badger comics from Capital and First and it is some great stuff. Then there was Grimjack which I love. Even stuff like Evangeline was fun to read.

• Options
    dubbat138 said:

Ahh ok I remembered them as being worse than that Violator mini series Alan Moore wrote.

As far as I can tell, Moore wiped his ass with an old typewriter ribbon, then used it to write the Bob Violence/American Flagg scripts.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    @WetRats : sometimes it's a burden to have a vivid imagination...I just now pictured a big hairy man wiping his arse...etc...and I just had lunch.... :-&
  • Options
    Funny. It's been years since I read them, but I don't remember the Alan Moore issues being so bad. In fact, I recall them being favorably acclaimed by a lot of the comic critics at the time. Are we talking about the same stories!?
  • Options

Funny. It's been years since I read them, but I don't remember the Alan Moore issues being so bad. In fact, I recall them being favorably acclaimed by a lot of the comic critics at the time. Are we talking about the same stories!?

The Bob Violence backup stories?

Dreadful.
  • Options
    dubbat138 said:

Then lost all my copies when my now ex-wife set fire to half my collection. I seem to remember that after Chaykin left AF went quickly down the crapper. With Alan Moore writing a few issues that were some of the worst stuff Moore has written. But my memory might be wrong on this.

your ex-wife burned 1/2 your collection???? whoa!!!! sounds like making her an "ex" was a good move! Man that is cruel!

e
    L nny

• Options

My recollection is that they were not good, too. and, iirc, a big part of theproblem was the artwork - but don't recall who was on it.

e
    L nny