Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Thought Balloons.

Is it just me or have thought balloons stopped being used in comics? I can't remember when I last saw one. Have they fallen out of favour or is there some other reason for them not being used? (I'm waiting for everyone to produce hundreds of examples now to prove me wrong!)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Years ago.

Sort of.

They're actually still there, just disguised.

Now they're color-coded boxes.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Thought balloons are just too confusing. (Cue the emoticon with the rolling eyes denoting sarcasm so thick you could eat it for dinner.)
  • Options
    Yeah, there's this conceit now among some creators and readers that thought balloons are dumb because they don't happen in real life or in the movies.

Frankly, I disagree. Comics are a completely different medium (from either the movies or real life...) and, as such, the thought balloons are a convenient vehicle for conveying what the characters are really thinking or feeling, or for getting out some exposition that might be difficult to work into the story otherwise.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Exactly, though I do think the thought balloon and the caption box imply two different tones and in certain cases one might be better for a project than the other. And, of course, there are stories where the writer does not want the reader to know what the character is actually thinking so as not to give away an ending or a surprise twist.

Here’s where I make the destinction between the thought balloon and the caption box: The caption box is narration. It’s what the character is willing to tell the audience. The thought balloon is what the character is actually thinking, uncensored. There are interesting storytelling possibilities in using a mix of both to give a deeper insight into a character.

• Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178

Yeah, there's this conceit now among some creators and readers that thought balloons are dumb because they don't happen in real life or in the movies.

One of my long term "issues" is when people complain about reality in comics. So what if thought balloons do not occur in real life! Neither do power rings, women in skin tight uniforms with 0 body fat and double DD breasts, or super powered aliens. Of course....it would be cool if they did :)

The core of the comics industry for 75+ years have been grounded in things that have no basis in reality.
  • Options
    monkey010101monkey010101 Posts: 77
    edited October 2012
    I'm still undecided whether thought balloons are a good thing. On one hand its a clunky form of info dump but on the other it can be a useful device for showing a hero's self doubts, something which easily be conveyed by the artwork. I always found they enhanced the story in the early Spider-man comics, but then Spider-man is meant to flawed and self doubting.
    I guess it all depends on whether they suit the story thats being told.
  • Options
    Generic Iconic Covers. I should be able to look at the cover of a comic I've read, and remember the story inside.
  • Options
    Mark me down as someone who likes word balloons on the cover.

What time is the early bird?

:hoists trousers:
  • Options
    Thought balloons started on the way out when Alan Moore didn't use them in Watchmen and every hack in comics thought if they aped the superficial story elements and techniques in that story, they'd be brilliant as well. Now that comics have moved to a more art-based, cinematic style, no one seems to want to use them

Me? I know they are a tool in the toolbox, and they will eventually come back...however, as I am putting together scripts for my webcomic's return, I am finding I like writing without them. They seem too much like the over-exposition of comics in the 70's...kind of like when an artist would draw a rainy street scene and the writer felt he had to say it was raining in both a caption and a thought balloon...

It's an old law of writing: Show, don't tell. Don't have the character think "I am so depressed", SHOW what that character would do when they are depressed. Do they mope around int he rain? Do they frantically try to call friends? Do they busy themselves with empty action? Build character by showing what they do.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Generic Iconic Covers. I should be able to look at the cover of a comic I've read, and remember the story inside.

Yes!!! I missed that on my list. I like the occasional iconic cover, but in general they should give a teaser of the interior story!
  • Options

WetRats said:

Yes!!! I missed that on my list. I like the occasional iconic cover, but in general they should give a teaser of the interior story!
    My exception to this is when they're brilliant designs, like the current Hawkeye books.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    I can't stand how DC doesn't use previously.....pages at the beginning of their stories

They have 52 stories each month, in their perfect world a person would be reading 52 comics every month. 11 or more of those 52 have something to do with Batman. Why wouldn't you let people know what happened at the begging of each new book? I'm usually 4 pages in on Batgirl every month before I remember what the main story is about.

And yes I agree, the credits in the back or on page 12 or whatever they do is annoying too. First page so I know who inked it please
  • Options
    I, too, miss thought balloons, and agree with many of the comments here. They are a staple of the genre and an element that helps differentiate comics from novels, movies, etc. I also miss footnotes and really can't understand why those are gone. Don't they help sales?

And don't get me started on generic covers. What happened to dialogue and thought balloons there?
  • Options
    EXCESSIVE CAPITALIZATION AND PUNCTUATION!!!!!!!!! And abundant arbitrary alliteration!
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    We should start a grumpy old comic fans section of the forum.
  • Options

Me? I know they are a tool in the toolbox, and they will eventually come back...however, as I am putting together scripts for my webcomic's return, I am finding I like writing without them. They seem too much like the over-exposition of comics in the 70's...kind of like when an artist would draw a rainy street scene and the writer felt he had to say it was raining in both a caption and a thought balloon...

It's an old law of writing: Show, don't tell. Don't have the character think "I am so depressed", SHOW what that character would do when they are depressed. Do they mope around int he rain? Do they frantically try to call friends? Do they busy themselves with empty action? Build character by showing what they do.

They are a priceless tool often used with too heavy a hand, as noted above. Used properly, they can advance the story in a unique way. They should always be considered an option, and writers/editors need to realize that being out of vogue at the moment doesn't make them the wrong tool for every situation. Using another tool in the wrong way (caption boxes as a replacement for thought balloons) is a far worse offense to me than correctly using a tool that some consider dated.
  • Options
    danGPdanGP Posts: 65
    I don't have a problem with them in old books but when Bendis used them in Mighty Avengers a few years ago I found them quite clunky.
  • Options
    Mark Waid used them sparingly and masterfully in Brave & Bold a few years back.
  • Options

Get off my lawn long box.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited October 2012
    Photobucket

One of the masters of the technique.
  • Options
    danGP said:

I don't have a problem with them in old books but when Bendis used them in Mighty Avengers a few years ago I found them quite clunky.

I believe he used them intentionally clunky in order to make a point about them.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2012
    I personally miss them..but then I read an old comic and sometimes wonder why.
  • Options

danGP said:

I believe he used them intentionally clunky in order to make a point about them.
    Interesting. I did find it strange for someone who has such a good handle on dialogue. What point was he trying to make? That they are old fashioned?
  • Options
    danGP said:

danGP said:

Interesting. I did find it strange for someone who has such a good handle on dialogue. What point was he trying to make? That they are old fashioned?
    I had read somewhere (I forget where now) that he was trying to show that what people thought wasn't the same as what they were saying or doing, that their thinking was distracted or focused on more basic interests. Therefore, the word balloons were pointless and a distraction, and a drag on the storyflow.

Well, sure... if you write them that way.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

danGP said:

danGP said:

I had read somewhere (I forget where now) that he was trying to show that what people thought wasn't the same as what they were saying or doing, that their thinking was distracted or focused on more basic interests. Therefore, the word balloons were pointless and a distraction, and a drag on the storyflow.

Yet another example of why I'm not a passenger on the Bendus train.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    hauberk said:

danGP said:

danGP said:

Bendis. .... I hate my phone. Stupid tiny keyboard and edit function seems to not work.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

danGP said:

danGP said:

Well, I didn't like what he was doing with the thought balloons -- or his leaving the stories untitled -- but that didn't otherwise affect his stories, and I did like those.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I thought the forum was it.