Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1293 Talkback: Ridin' the Storm Out

Comments

• Options
    PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE MORE OF THIS.
  • Options
    Just finished listening, and man, that was a rollicking good time... best episode in a long time. And lately, they have been great, but this was really, really great.
  • Options
    Only halfway through, but I need to add my voice to the throng - this is an amazing episode. So fun. Like someone noted up-thread: you can go home again.

Thanks guys,
    chris
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Can't wait to hear this one tomorrow!!!
  • Options
    Not to jump on the bandwagon, but this was by far one of the best episodes in a long time. Hearing all of the geeks together again was a whole lot of fun. Practically fell out of my chair when the "Stump the Rios" music started.

The only thing missing is an "Iron the Pants!"
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Great episode.
    The Joss Whedon rant...classic Rios.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention that I scored a 90% on Peter's Pop Quiz. Not sure if I should be proud or ashamed...
  • Options
    LanceLance Posts: 5
    This was so much fun to listen to. The whole reason I originally started to follow your show years ago. It was great to hear you guys all together again.
  • Options
    It really was such a nice surprise hearing everyone sound off in the introduction. Thanks to you all for making the time to get together. The resulting episode has been a blast.

Regarding Marvel Now, you guys really touched on some interesting stuff. Why not just call it Avengers, and capitalize on the brand identity? IMO, because they are trying to be all things to all people. Make it "Avengers" to get the movie people, but make it "not just Avengers" to be something new for the direct market crowd. Typically, this type of move would fail on both fronts. We'll see how this one plays out. I have high hopes for the relaunch (not reboot, gotta side with Murd on that one.) :)

That's all for now. Thanks again for the great ep, and stay safe during the storm.
  • Options
    I hope everybody is safe and sound now Sandy is really with you. Hoping Murds Stone Harbour home is all ok.
  • Options
    What a fun episode. It really sounded like you were all enjoying yourselves. It had that eavesdropping on a group of friends chatting kind of feel to it which was great. More of this kind of thing please!
  • Options
    Loved it loved it loved it! Episode of the year!
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Did Hurricane Sandy cause a rip in space-time and this episode fell through from somewhere about 2008?
    :-?
  • Options
    A word on why Hollywood makes ridiculous decisions, if I may....

In my admittedly limited experience, I have observed that the majority of the filmmaking decisions (what films get made, the marketing strategy, who is cast as whom, etc.) is NOT made by the filmmaker, ultimately.

These decisions, as well as all the adjustments and changes that get made, are the result of "suits."

Suits", to clarify what I mean by the term, is an executive who's livelihood is dependent upon a single movie every time a movie comes out.

This creates a form of paranoid second-guessing that leads to over-compensating with the kind of arrogance that gives you a guy with a Harvard Business degree (who has never read the comics/played the video game/been familiar with the source material the film is based on) thinking they can dictate entertainment tastes.

For an example, I would recommend the story about how Pixar showed Toy Story to Disney executives. The "suits" who watched it made all manner of self-important suggestions, which Pixar followed. During the second screening, which contained all the changes that the execs wanted and was made the way the execs wanted it, these same execs blamed Pixar for not being able to make a funny movie.

It's that old childish nonsense of the success is the result of execs' idea, but a failure is the fault of the director/cast/crew/etc.

In my dealings with the film business, I have come to understand that understanding this mentality is a key for getting anything done. Even so, it's still no guarantee.
  • Options
    mrfusionmrfusion Posts: 186

A word on why Hollywood makes ridiculous decisions, if I may....

I would call that pretty spot on.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    edited October 2012
    I think I'm going to disagree on "Joss Whedon wasn't the reason Avengers made a billion dollars"

if you'd said "Joss Whedon wasn't the reason Avengers made 4 or 5 hundred million" I could agree with you. Robert Downey Junior Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth made them that much. Then after everyone saw how good the movie was and kept going back, that was on Joss Whedon.

Also great show, they're always better when there's more
  • Options
    Friggin' awesome episode. Loved the feel of the show. Had me laughing along, agreeing and arguing with you. These are the shows where I think I wish I was in the room with you. Top stuff.

6/10 on the quiz for me. I loved that quiz, and totally agree with point it was making.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Awesome episode. Took me back to the old days of CGS.
    Wishing @JamieD a truckload of strength and luck for his chemo. Stay strong!
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    HOLY SH!T!!!

did i just step back in time?!?!?!?

time for me to be a paid subscriber again!!!

http://www.comicgeekspeak.com/donate.php
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    Wasn't there some Hawkeye character development in the Busiek/Bagley Thunderbolts?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited October 2012
    Enjoying the episode tonight.

It's a treat and, of course, great fun having everyone back on. And this episode came at a perfect time for those of us who have had a rough couple of days.

(Though you do seem to be having a competition for most jaded, at least in this first hour with the Marvel NOW! talk. Oh well. Hopefully in the remainder of the episode there will be topics you are more enthusiastic about.)
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    bamfbamf said:

Wasn't there some Hawkeye character development in the Busiek/Bagley Thunderbolts?

I thought that, too-- there is some excellent Hawkeye stuff once he takes over leadership of the Thunderbolts. In fact, some recent Secret Avengers issues, and the tension between he and Cap, when Hawkeye took over leadership of Secret Avengers felt like a replay of a lot of the same story beats as when Hawkeye was leading Thunderbolts against Cap's better judgment.

Although I think that started very late in the 90s. It may have even been in '99, so it barely counts as 90s Hawkeye. So their point about his being pretty well absent in the 90s is still true.

• Options

For an example, I would recommend the story about how Pixar showed Toy Story to Disney executives. The "suits" who watched it made all manner of self-important suggestions, which Pixar followed. During the second screening, which contained all the changes that the execs wanted and was made the way the execs wanted it, these same execs blamed Pixar for not being able to make a funny movie.

Haven't made it this far into the episode yet (my commute is too short), but I'll offer a personal anecdote to confirm Steve's premise.

I used to work on a news-magazine show. A producer and I would work a piece for a week, honing it down to as good a story as we think we can tell. Then, Executive A would come in to give his "notes." He would say make change A, change B, and change C. We would follow his notes as best we could. Then he would return with his boss, Executive B for another round of notes. Executive B would say, "I like everything except for change A, change B, and change C."

At which point, Executive A would turn to us and say, "Yeah, why'd you guys do that?"

Not only is much of the entertainment business run by people who are completely inept at storytelling, but they're also the first to throw the adept people under the bus for following their instructions.

• Options
    Well, I most certainly have something to listen to over the next few days! :D
  • Options
    Only about half way through it, but as others have stated it was great to have a full room again!
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    About episode 1293..... thank you
  • Options
    One of the all-time classic episodes! So great having you all on the same room again!!
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Terrific episode. Crackling with good humour and energy. Hope the storm doesn't do too much damage. Take care guys!
  • Options
    another great episode. keep up the good work!