Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The gap that should not be

How many of you have been through this?

You’re getting your floppy collection organized. You may or may not be keeping them cataloged, but you know for sure that you had an issue of this, that and the other and even read them recently, but for whatever reason you just can’t find those issues.

You search through your stacks and piles. You look through all of your boxes. You look in every possible place in the house that those missing issues could be but alas they are can't be found. You ask the wife and kids if they’ve seen them but nobody has. If it’s a recent issue, you double check with your LCS guy to make sure you did in fact purchase said books. You just can’t find them and you are left with a gap that you know shouldn’t be there.

So what do you do? Do keep looking and if so how long before you give up? How long before you go hunting down another copy or do you just pick up the trade?

Comments

• I can't say I've gone to the extents that you describe, but yes, I've been there. I rebought an issue (from online dollar bin - the place that must not be named, nor does it exist), that CBDB says I have, just a couple or so weeks ago. And I've been in the situation before, with various responses from me of whether or not I've repurchased the book... yet.
  • fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    I hate when I've bought an issue from DCBS and it's such a forgettable issue, but needed to complete the run, and then visit my LCS to peruse the recent releases for anything I may have missed ordering, only to see the forgettable issue and thinking, I don't think I have that one, I fact, I know I don't have that one because I would have remembered it, for it is my favorite character's main book, and then I proceed to buy said book, only to arrive home, read the first two pages and realize that I have already read it before, but then thinking that perhaps it was in an online preview, and then continue to read until all 22 pages are up and I again says to meself, Self, you did read that issue, and finally, when I take it down to my comic lair, I see the original DCBS ordered issue sitting right there on the top of my "to be filed" stack. Balls.
  • I hate when I order a book, and when I get it it's not what it was solicited to be. The recent Wolverine And The X-Men issue which spotlighted the Doop (Is that the name? I'm not familiar with the character.) and drawn by Michael Allred was not a tie-in to the Avengers vs X-Men event as advertised because they switched stories at the last minute, moving the tie-in back an issue. (I guess this was because it came out before AvX #12 and would have given away the ending.) I didn't realize until just the other day that this had happened, and had been wondering why the book I got in my pre-ordered mail package had no connection to the AvX storyline, even though it had the crossover banner on the cover. Now I'm going to have to make a special trip down to the LCS to see if they have a copy of the issue that does have the crossover issue. I wouldn't have this problem, I suppose, if I wasn't such a compulsive completist.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    fredzilla said:

I hate when I've bought an issue from DCBS and it's such a forgettable issue, but needed to complete the run, and then visit my LCS to peruse the recent releases for anything I may have missed ordering, only to see the forgettable issue and thinking, I don't think I have that one, I fact, I know I don't have that one because I would have remembered it, for it is my favorite character's main book, and then I proceed to buy said book, only to arrive home, read the first two pages and realize that I have already read it before, but then thinking that perhaps it was in an online preview, and then continue to read until all 22 pages are up and I again says to meself, Self, you did read that issue, and finally, when I take it down to my comic lair, I see the original DCBS ordered issue sitting right there on the top of my "to be filed" stack. Balls.

Been through that as well.