Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1294 - Spotlight on Spider-Man in the Chromium Age (90s)

2»

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Krescan said:

another great Spidey episode. Does Chris have any other characters he knows almost everything about? I like him on the show.

I hope the 2000's have plenty of Ultimate talk, fingers crossed.

I hope not, I've read 2 storylines in Ultimate Spider-man (one with Black Cat & the other with Moon Knight) and found both really hard to get into. I know Bendis gets a lot of credit & accolades for his writing style, but I cannot get into his. I find his Spidey dialogue to be especially annoying.

M
  • Options
    Another solid Spider-Man episode. Thanks guys!

The Clone Saga is what actually got me back in to buying comics after about a 10 year layoff. I think I bought every single spin-off and one shot that Marvel put out there. Now they are just taking up space in my long boxes.
  • Options
    Great episode and always a treat for the ears when Chris is on the show.
  • Options
    Great episode. I'm so glad you mentioned Spider-Girl, that was one of my favorite series when I was in high school. They did do a Spider-Girl:The End one-shot after the Spectacular mini.
  • Options
    Be nice to get that Untold Tales issues digitally. Need to check Marvel.com.
  • Options
    Yes, another great Spidey episode. I never want these to end.

I was never a huge Spiderman fan, but I remember a pretty sweet ( at least it was tom me at the time) story arc by Erik Larsen with the Sinister Six. Spidey broke his arm and Shield hooked him up with an armored cast of some kind..? That storyline was my first exposure to some of the classic Spiderman rogues.
  • Options
    Aside from one masterworks collection (Amazing Spider-Man 11-20, which I loved) and Kraven's Last Hunt (which really didn't do it for me) I have only read a few issues of Spider-Man here and there. One of these days I'm gonna correct that oversight and spotlight episodes (and threads) like these give me all kinds of ideas of what to read and where to begin.

Thank you! =D>
  • Options
    Great episode, guys. These episodes are reinvigorating my love of Spider-Man, who was always one of my favorite characters.

When I first started getting into comics heavily was in the 90's and Spider-Man was a character I picked up a lot of titles. I know you guys mentioned the stories of Round Robin and Maximum Carnage as not being the best of Spider-Man as far as character content, but those were my first stories of Spider-Man that I got the complete stories, so those hold a special place in my heart even though they were pretty much all action.

I never read the Clone Saga due to all the bad comments made about it, but now knowing that it's all traded and the Ben Reilly is all traded, I will be getting those so I can finally read them from a fresh perspective.

After hearing you all rave about how awesome the Untold Tales of Spider-Man is, I will be looking to get that Omnibus of it.

Thanks for getting me pumped up about this character again.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    My LCS is having a sale this week, so I picked up Spider-Girl #s 0-3 (they didn't have the What If issue, but the reprint in #0 was good enough for me). The second-person narration still bugs me, but storywise, yeah, this is pretty good. I think I may have a new back issue bin series to hunt down. Damn you, Chris from Wild Pig!!! :))
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Stop me if you heard this one but I left Spiderman during the Chromium Age. Inexplicably I did not like Bagley at the time and the Round Robin storyline was my deathknell. I left comics after that so I was unfamiliar with the Chromium Age. I recently picked up the Ben Reily trades from my library and found it ridiculously convoluted and indigestable. Perhaps it is my disconnect with the 90's era and storytelling but after 5 trades of the Ben Reily stuff, I can say I did not miss much. I too wish for Aunt May's quiet passing and would have never made a deal with Mephisto to trade Mary Jane for her. That being said I love the past few years of Brand New Day and though I do not like the route it took to get there, the current era of Spiderman washes away the Chromium Age. Look forward to next episode.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Wow, did not realize how much Round Robin: A Sidekick's Revenge is not getting. It's one of my top 10 favorite storylines. It introduced me to Moon Knight, Nova, Darkhawk, and the New Warriors. It's a story that started in the pages in Marc Spector: Moon Knight, than carried over to Spidey.

The implied "Batman & Robin" connection was something that interested me also. And the Secret Empire has always been one of my favorite organizations.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited November 2012
    Matt said:

Wow, did not realize how much Round Robin: A Sidekick's Revenge is not getting. It's one of my top 10 favorite storylines. It introduced me to Moon Knight, Nova, Darkhawk, and the New Warriors. It's a story that started in the pages in Marc Spector: Moon Knight, than carried over to Spidey.

I thought it was a pretty good story. I even have a few issues from that autographed by Bagley. It was also the back round for the second story arc in the 2006 Huston/Finch Moon Knight series.

• Options
    I would gather that not much was said about the Round Robin story arc here because it wasn't one of the Spider-Man stories of the 90's?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

I would gather that not much was said about the Round Robin story arc here because it wasn't one of the Spider-Man stories of the 90's?

Yes it was.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    edited November 2012
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Yes it was.
    Okay. Guess I was confused by the connection to to the 2006 Moon Knight arc. Must have been after I dropped all of the Spider-books from my buy list.
  • Options
    I don't know if I'd like it now, but I remember liking Round Robin pretty well at the time. I love all those clandestine cabals Marvel has like the Secret Empire (and Hydra and AIM and all the rest).
  • Options
    Loved the episode, and I have a couple of notes:

Untold Tales was part of a short lived comics line where Marvel listened to the fans and gave them cheaper comics AND comics that didn't tie in to other books. It was the worst selling Spider-Man comic at that time. When we tried to get fans to buy it, they would dismiss it as not being part of the REAL story (since it was set in the past). Marvel also told us in a retailers conference that they found through reader surveys that people actually disliked the $1.00 format (Marvel was $2 at the time) thinking that because it was cheaper it must not be any good.

Which is something they still cite when people ask for cheaper comics....

As for the Clone saga, this series of articles has floated around on the internet for a LONG time and tells what what going on behind the scenes and has long interviews with creators and editors. I cannot recommend it highly enough for anyone interested in not just the Clone Saga, but what was going on at comic companies during the 90's boom and bust.
  • Options
    alienalalienal Posts: 508
    edited November 2012
    Hmm...this was my grad school period so I had a VERY sporadic interest in comics and so, of course, Spidey at this point. I remember SOME of it, but the speculation frenzy kept driving me away. Besides,I had studies to deal with. ANYWAY, you guys brought the era back to life for me! Thanks! Now,I'll have to get myself back to a convention, garage sale or someplace to find some of the good issues you mentioned. And I liked Slingers!
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Based on this episode, I purchased the Untold Tales of Spider-Man omnibus from DCBS and will be getting it sometime that first week of December. I'll count it as a birthday present. My fondness of this era is really just limited to the McFarlane Spider-Man and some of the Bagely and Larson ASM art. I'm really excited to get this omnibus and begin diving into it.
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    alienal said:

Hmm...this was my grad school period so I had a VERY sporadic interest in comics and so, of course, Spidey at this point. I remember SOME of it, but the speculation frenzy kept driving me away. Besides,I had studies to deal with. ANYWAY, you guys brought the era back to life for me! Thanks! Now,I'll have to get myself back to a convention, garage sale or someplace to find some of the good issues you mentioned. And I liked Slingers!

I remember reading a column on one of the comics sites (maybe CBR, but I really can't remember) several years ago where the guy spent a couple of weeks defending the merits of Slingers, and I have to admit I went out and bought the first issue out of the back issue bins and thought it wasn't bad.

Ridiculous gimmick on that first issue, though: there were 4 different versions of the first issue - about half of the comic was the same across all 4, but each version had content specific to the Slinger featured on each particular cover. So if you wanted the full story for each of the characters before they all met up for the second half of the book, you had to buy all 4 versions. That had to kill a lot of potential momentum right out of the gate. It certainly kept me from going back and fishing the rest of the series out of the bins!
  • Options
    Wow, another spectacular "Spider-Man Spotlight"...no pun intended.

Even the "ages" I think I have no interest in, I end up getting hooking and find things I want to read (just like Brian does). I added Spider-Girl and Untold Tales to my want list -- so thanks!

Any chance of these Spotlights with Chris continuing once Spider-Man is complete? Avengers? Fantastic Four?
  • Options
    brentacbrentac Posts: 11
    When they came out I was a big fan of Round Robin the Sidekicks revenge. Also liked Maximum Carnage (which I recent purchases on a .99 sale on comixoligy).

But I loved, and I mean loved, the clone saga. Huge Ben Reilly fan. I've recently purchased or received as gifts the entire epic clone saga trades (5 volumes) and the epic Ben Reilly trades (6 volumes.) I admit I wished Ben had come back during spider island but I am enjoying the current Scarlet run.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Bagley must have gotten royalties up the wazoo. It was usually his art I saw on Spidey merchandise.
  • Options

Bagley must have gotten royalties up the wazoo. It was usually his art I saw on Spidey merchandise.

Only if he was doing artwork specifically for the licensees. If they were just using existing artwork he had done for the comics, Bagley probably didn't see one extra dime. That's just how Marvel operates.
  • Options

Only if he was doing artwork specifically for the licensees. If they were just using existing artwork he had done for the comics, Bagley probably didn't see one extra dime. That's just how Marvel operates.
    Well, damn.

Thanks for the insight.
  • Options

Well, damn.

Thanks for the insight.
    It’s possible they’ve changed that policy, but, for example, Art Adams’ famous Wolverine poster sold like hot cakes. Art got a good royalty off the poster itself, but he didn’t get anything from the T-shirts, toys, etc., that used that image in the years that followed, and that image was everywhere.
  • Options
    I see. Thanks again.