Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Cyberforce #1 (Potential Spoilers)

Is it because that original Cyberforce series I read was 20 years ago that this issue barely made sense to me? Or was it just a poorly told, messy book?

It's a shame as, given the unusual (unprecedented?) way this book went about funding itself and distributing free copies, this seemed a unusually good opportunity to grab new readers, but this didn't hook me at all. Did I miss something?

Comments

• PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I liked it. But that makes sense simce you and I disagree on literally everything.

-________-

I never read any Cyber Force previously though.
  • it's a mess, i think... i liked this most out of all the original image "launch" books. but this? just OK art, the story seems like nothing groundbreaking, the dialogue "meh". but the paper stock is topnotch and the coloring is nice!

but it's free, so...
  • Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I never read Cyberforce before but I enjoyed the hell out of this issue.
  • I think the first issue worked for me because I don't really remember much of he original run. I know I have the first issue of the original series (one of the premium covers, I think), but since I rarely touched any of the Image books back then as it was, I don't remember the story. So, starting fresh, the new series seems perfectly fine.

I have to add that if the books weren't free, I probably would never have picked it up.
  • David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Glad to hear that this issue worked better for some other readers than it did for me. While I feel like we saw and got the names of a lot of characters, and we got some splashy villain entrances, I never got the sense of what the world of the book is. I am all for a sense of mystery and a good chase, but I feel like- especially when the story is set in a world very different from my own- some time spent world building and giving a sense of place is time well spent. I was left not really having a sense of where the story was, or what a Cyberforce is.
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    I agree with everything @David_D has posted thus far and I also read the '90's Cyberforce.
  • luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    The whole issue went over my head... I literally thought 'seriously, all this fuss for that???'. Maybe it went over my head because I didn't read the original series, but as @David_D said this was the perfect opportunity to hook new readers in. I'm not hooked... Well I am, but only because the next four issues are free.